PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's revenge - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2535 Views )

Maou
1208th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's revenge" , posted Wed 1 Aug 14:50:post reply

SFZero Fighter's Generation has been just great, a thousand leaps beyond my old PSone version thanks to little things like being able to stage select and being able to continue on the same level. No loading times sure didn't hurt.

Which brings me to what we were talking about at the end of the last thread: good fighter controllers. I'm not big on joysticks, so word on the street is that Saturn-shaped pads have always been the best? Sega Direct's official Saturn pad seems to have long been sold out, but I can still buy the Nubysoft ones with Udon art (oh well) on them. What do you all think about both of those? Any other options?

It could be my imagination, but it seems like PS2 controllers make inputs even harder than my old non-dualshock PSone ones did, so I'm eager for something better. Can't have 's coming out when I need , after all. Since I've hardly ever picked up Saturn controllers, I'm curious about whether having all the directional buttons being connected makes smooth circles harder or easier to pull off.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 1 Aug 14:59]

Replies:

Iron D
2775th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Wed 1 Aug 15:19post reply

quote:
Since I've hardly ever picked up Saturn controllers, I'm curious about whether having all the directional buttons being connected makes smooth circles harder or easier to pull off.

360s, 720s, quarter circles, half circles, and even the motion for the Somersault Justice (Hold ,,,) are all easier on the Saturn pad. Having diagonals definitely helps.

I can't speak for the PS2 "Saturn" pad, but if it can be close to the quality of the Saturn pad it should be good.

Er.....

Count Hihihi
51th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Wed 1 Aug 16:09post reply

I just spent two weeks in Hong Kong looking for PS2 Saturn pads. Didn't see a single one. I got laughed at in one store. They're all gone. And yes, all I did in HK was look for said pads 24/7.

"Dont bother. Your gonna be hammered by some git hammering buttons as Horwang or Christy anyway." - RR

Samson
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Wed 1 Aug 17:54post reply

I have one Udon art pad. It's far better than the regular PS2 pad.
The only gripe I have with it is that sometimes I jump backward when all I want to do is block.

HAYATO
807th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Wed 1 Aug 23:07post reply

quote:
I have one Udon art pad. It's far better than the regular PS2 pad.
The only gripe I have with it is that sometimes I jump backward when all I want to do is block.

Saturn pads were awesome. In fact, I have never seen any pad whose design was so clever (6 buttons on 2 rows, wow!!!) and whith such an accurate input. Nevertheless, I purchased a Saturn Virtua Stick (I think that was the name for the official Saturn Joystick), which fit my demands even better than the standard pad (I'm a joystick user since Genesis times).

BTW, if you are into fighting games, I'd suggest you try getting a HRAP if you can. I recently got the PS3 one to play emulators on PC, and it happened to be what I've been looking for all my gaming life.

hikarutilmitt
439th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Thu 2 Aug 00:58post reply

The PS2 Saturn-style pad is, dare I say, better than the actual Saturn pad itself. The buttons are tighter, the pad feels a bit less loose and it just seems more accurate, to me. It's also a tiny bit lighter. I was lucky enough to have ordered one of the Vampire Savior Saturn pads back when Play-Asia had them on sale for $19 and wish they hadn't sold out so I could have maybe gotten another.

Maou
1209th Post

"Re(5):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Thu 2 Aug 01:39:post reply

quote:
IronD's Somersault Justice (Hold ,,,)!!!!
IronD, you speak of the unimaginable! If I had a pad where I could dispense that type of Justice regularly I'd be a happy man...or at least a happy man who uses charge characters's super combos.

It's to my infinite sadness that the Sega Saturn pads hikarutilmitt speaks of are completely sold out...Samson, how's the accuracy on the Udon one, which I might have to settle for? I'm always wary of 8-direction connected d-pads since so many third-party controllers have them and are absolutely terrible in terms of accuracy, but if this Udon can even come close to what the Saturn PS2 pad seems to have accomplished, I guess it might be worth it.

update: Since the Shoryuken crew basically taught me how to play with their SFZero2 guide by Versus Books, maybe this is a good call. Do you guys agree?

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 2 Aug 02:31]

jiji
185th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Thu 2 Aug 05:18post reply

The Nuby SF2 pads will do the job. I use one for emulators on PC when I'm too lazy to hook up my PS2 Saturn pad. They feel a little cheap, and the lenticular window is cheesy, but the D-pad is comfortable, and the buttons are smooth. The start and select buttons are tiny little things that are right next to each other, so if you have big meathooks like me, it's easy to press them at the same time (which results in a reset in Tekken 5).

Pollyanna
2317th Post

"Re(6):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Thu 2 Aug 06:56post reply

quote:

update: Since the Shoryuken crew basically taught me how to play with their SFZero2 guide by Versus Books, maybe this is a good call. Do you guys agree?

I pretty much agree with everything he said regarding the controller, but excluding the button layout, I would not say it's dramatically better than a dual shock pad. I mean, if you specifically want a pad more like the Saturn one and specifically dislike the dual shock, then I recommend it, but I don't think it's a really exceptional controller.

It's cheap, though...so you aren't taking a big risk. I use it on Capcom games, but nothing else. Also...the hitting start/select is a big problem for me, too.

Red falcon
5948th Post

"Re(7):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Sun 5 Aug 04:08:post reply

Ugh, my connection is STILL an issue at the new place, so I'm at work here... uh, get a stick and try and get used to it, Maou! Ha ha ha. You may not be used to it yet, but try it and stick with it. You'll get better eventually and will... just perform better in a general sense in the long run (hopefully.) If you truly are a dedicated pad-ist, just ignore this post, ha ha ha. Really only posted something so people would know I WASN'T DEAD.

Best site EVER:Link Here

[this message was edited by Red falcon on Sun 5 Aug 04:09]

Maou
1210th Post

"Re(8):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Sun 5 Aug 04:41:post reply

He lives! A roommate of mine went nuts one time and bought an arcade joystick for us to play Sou Calibur II on. I reliably beat him 2/3 of the time with pads, but I couldn't win when we were both playing serious and I had the joystick. Gotta try again (wonder what he did with that thing), but it's hard to plunk down money for an accessory that will make me crappier at first. Still, the game center enthusiast in me wants to improve my sad sad performances in public...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sun 5 Aug 04:41]

Pollyanna
2320th Post

"Re(9):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Sun 5 Aug 08:24post reply

I've always wanted to get a joystick, but the problem is that I can't play with one in my lap. I would have to set it on something to emulate an arcade cabinet (Japanese OR American style). For the first time in my life I have a coffee table in front of my entertainment center, so I might make the move soon.

crazymike
1358th Post

"Re(4):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Mon 6 Aug 00:54post reply

quote:

Saturn pads were awesome. In fact, I have never seen any pad whose design was so clever (6 buttons on 2 rows, wow!!!)

Nobody remembers the Sega Genesis 6 pad controller? Shame on you all!

Maou
1210th Post

"Re(5):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Mon 6 Aug 01:33post reply

quote:
Nobody remembers the Sega Genesis 6 pad controller? Shame on you all!
That's true! That was the pad that, should you bother to get it, could upgrade your Megadrive from being the worst system in the world to play Street Fighter on (didn't you switch with Start to transform its meager three buttons from punch/kick, ghahah) to something pretty awesome.

crazymike
1359th Post

"Re(6):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Tue 7 Aug 23:58post reply

quote:
Nobody remembers the Sega Genesis 6 pad controller? Shame on you all! That's true! That was the pad that, should you bother to get it, could upgrade your Megadrive from being the worst system in the world to play Street Fighter on (didn't you switch with Start to transform its meager three buttons from punch/kick, ghahah) to something pretty awesome.

And do not forget to mention the all mighty Eternal Champions for Sega CD.

Maou
1212th Post

"Re(7):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Wed 8 Aug 01:42post reply

This Udon controller's d-pad, for the record, has turned out to be amazing. I've never been so excited about a controller thanks to not having to ever miss inputs anymore. Really impressed, even if the Sega one would have been cooler.

crazymike
1360th Post

"Re(8):PS2 Saturn pads: SFZero3 thread's reven" , posted Thu 9 Aug 09:27post reply

quote:
This Udon controller's d-pad, for the record, has turned out to be amazing. I've never been so excited about a controller thanks to not having to ever miss inputs anymore. Really impressed, even if the Sega one would have been cooler.

I actually have to agree. Alot of people "cough shoryuken" were talking trash on the pads when they came out, but having had them over a year I still think they are wonderful and I have had no problem doing motions.