Resident Evil 5 extended trailer - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2196 Views )

Gojira
2196th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 04:28post reply

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22801.html

Looks damn nice to me. I'm actually more excited about this than MGS4.

The girl doesn't look like Jill or Claire, but supposedly it's someone RE fans should know... and the fact she appears to be in some kind of containment gives me three guesses:

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Alexia Ashford, Sherry Birkin, or Alice (from the movie)

End of Spoiler

Replies:

ONSLAUGHT
3675th Post

"Re(1):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 09:44post reply

quote:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/22801.html

Looks damn nice to me. I'm actually more excited about this than MGS4.

The girl doesn't look like Jill or Claire, but supposedly it's someone RE fans should know... and the fact she appears to be in some kind of containment gives me three guesses:

You forgot

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Rebecca Chambers. And I hope they don't integrate Alice into the RE Canon

End of Spoiler

Pollyanna
2305th Post

"Re(2):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 10:02post reply

Looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g. I'm happy it's a bit creepy, too! The lighting really does a lot and the setting and enemies are mildly unsettling, unlike 4, which I just found comical.

So, is it in Haiti, where "real" zombies come from?

Also, I wonder if we'll be seeing online Vs...

Gojira
2198th Post

"Re(3):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 12:00:post reply

quote:
You forgot

I guess that's possible too, but I would be pretty disappointed seeing her back again. The character is supposed to be playable at some point, and I'd rather if it was someone who hasn't been a main character before.

quote:

So, is it in Haiti, where "real" zombies come from?

The interview with the producer mentioned that Chris' organization deployed him to a desert. I think that would imply that it's an African town. I'd LOL if it was in Haiti though

Some twitchy fellows on other BBS' are calling the game racist already. Obviously that's BS, but I still wonder if certain other people will see it the same way, if they spot a game with a buff white guy mowing down hordes of Africans with a machine gun.

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 27 Jul 12:10]

Pollyanna
2307th Post

"Re(4):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 13:04post reply

quote:

Some twitchy fellows on other BBS' are calling the game racist already. Obviously that's BS, but I still wonder if certain other people will see it the same way, if they spot a game with a buff white guy mowing down hordes of Africans with a machine gun.

Well, I'm hoping there are some important black characters on the good guy side, too. That might help alleviate the potential issue.

ecchi
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 16:18post reply

First Spain, now Africa. I wonder what ethnic group Capcom will denounce as a plague on society next. Zombie Eskimos with ice picks? Nice graphics though. When did Chris get so freakin' buff??

GAME OVER?? But I beat the game!

deisied
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 20:24post reply

Seriously. Roid-Chris is almost creepier than the setting.

But I love the way this game is looking right now. It's like RE4, but in a rabidly hopeless environment. Those guys are not just everywhere, they're fast. Pretty intense.

I can see the purists already, though. They were pissed enough at what RE4 did. They're going to end up calling the fervor of this game as being indicitave of it having definitively become a full-fledged "action" game. But I see it the other way around. The cranked up energy justifies the sense of fear even more.

Pollyanna
2309th Post

"Re(7):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 21:18post reply

quote:

I can see the purists already, though. They were pissed enough at what RE4 did. They're going to end up calling the fervor of this game as being indicitave of it having definitively become a full-fledged "action" game. But I see it the other way around. The cranked up energy justifies the sense of fear even more.

I would say 4 was already a full-fledged action game.

But my "problem" with 4 wasn't so much that it added action elements as it eliminated other elements. It was a game constructed of many, very short levels. No puzzles, no mazes, very little exploration. No sense of conservation, no sense of "I have to survive", just "I have to kill everything on the screen".

In fact, I found myself dying on purpose frequently, because every time you died, you were set back maybe 5 minutes at most. I would say "let's see if I can do this part without getting hit", die on purpose and try it again. There was no sense of tension, and nothing was at stake. It was like an extended mission mode with plot sequences.

Of course, the more competent your character is, the less frightening the game will be, but judging by the video of 5, it looks like the odds are stacked against you enough for it to be a bit intimidating, and certainly intense (which I agree is a very good word for it).

It sounds like I really didn't like BH4, but that's not the case. I enjoyed it a lot and even though I complain that it seemed "mission based", the "missions" were all fun and well designed. It was just a different kind of fun. Ideally, I'd like to see the good points of 4 and the older games combined, but I wouldn't mind another 4 either.

Red Falcon
5944th Post

"Re(4):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Fri 27 Jul 22:54post reply

You could wish somebody a "lovely day" and be accused of racism by some people. ANYWAY, the description of the video says Umbrella is back, is this true or just the person who posted it making assumptions? I'd kind of like to see a Tyrant in a more action-esque setting where it can actually run around and not spend most of its time strolling around leisurely and occasionally batting at Chris or Jill's head.

Best site EVER:Link Here

crazymike
1351th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Sat 28 Jul 00:26:post reply

quote:

I never had a problem with RE becoming an action genre. What I did have a problem with was ruining a perfectly good creepy story about a sinister corporation and *authentic* zombies and experiments and instead turning it into a 28 Days Later situation where the zombies are merely angry semi-sentient humans, or if you really want to trash it, Corpse Killer from the old Sega CD.

The old games could freak you out but now it is just laughable with angry mobs holding torches like a 1930s Frakenstein flick.

I also liked the atmosphere more when the characters weren't literally "Saving the World" and were doing what the game was supposed to be about, "surviving". It is "survival horror" isn't it?

[this message was edited by crazymike on Sat 28 Jul 00:32]

Oroch
971th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(8):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Sat 28 Jul 01:28post reply

quote:

I never had a problem with RE becoming an action genre. What I did have a problem with was ruining a perfectly good creepy story about a sinister corporation and *authentic* zombies and experiments and instead turning it into a 28 Days Later situation where the zombies are merely angry semi-sentient humans, or if you really want to trash it, Corpse Killer from the old Sega CD.

The old games could freak you out but now it is just laughable with angry mobs holding torches like a 1930s Frakenstein flick.

I also liked the atmosphere more when the characters weren't literally "Saving the World" and were doing what the game was supposed to be about, "surviving". It is "survival horror" isn't it?

/in b4 nigra and goiter

Ishmael
2895th Post

"Re(5):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Sat 28 Jul 03:43post reply

quote:
You could wish somebody a "lovely day" and be accused of racism by some people. ANYWAY, the description of the video says Umbrella is back, is this true or just the person who posted it making assumptions? I'd kind of like to see a Tyrant in a more action-esque setting where it can actually run around and not spend most of its time strolling around leisurely and occasionally batting at Chris or Jill's head.

Having a Tyrant type character in a game that looks likes it's running on the RE4 engine would be terrific. Dealing with a mob of locals who really, really hate tourists is going to be tough but to have a giant boss character occasionally smashing through the walls in his relentless pursuit of you would make for a wild game. Now that I think about it I don't know whether that description is of what RE5 could be or what a re-make of the arcade classic Berserk would play like but either way I would like to try out.

Catalyst
274th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(4):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Sat 28 Jul 05:36post reply

quote:

That has to be the most asinine thing I've ever heard as I agree with you as well seeing its utter BS. Where in the world does this race card come up, I have no clue as I think those people should seriously get over themselves. Put another person in another country and it is automatically racist why don't they say that. Ridiculous.

As for the game, it looks great and seems the right tempo. I'm not a big fan of Resident evil but I hope this game pulls me into the series. I loved number 2 but got frustrated at part 1 and strolled through part 3 but I hope this gets me into the series further. Personally for me since the stories of Resident evil are mildly connected I hope at one point or another all of them just seem to mesh together and meet up.

Chris is pretty yea big fellow there. Oh well all for another zombie to chew a piece off of yes? Thigh or arm? Drumstick anyone?

Gojira
2198th Post

"Re(5):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Sat 28 Jul 06:27post reply

I agree about the fact that RE4 was too much about temporary goals than logically solving any puzzles. The new setting doesn't seem to lend itself to changing that much either, though I don't know that much about man-made structures in Africa. Aside from the pyramids anyway.

I can imagine there will be a lot of running around the wild with potentially "infected" wildlife, which could be kind of a new thing.

I haven't heard anything about Umbrella re-appearing for RE5, but anything is possible at this point.

ecchi
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Resident Evil 5 extended trailer" , posted Sun 29 Jul 04:54post reply

quote:

I can imagine there will be a lot of running around the wild with potentially "infected" wildlife, which could be kind of a new thing.

Yeah, I want to see zombie gazelles with chainsaws. That would be a sight! And with the open environment and closely packed homes maybe Super Chris can do roof jumping to make an escape

GAME OVER?? But I beat the game!