First videogame you were addicted to - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2143 Views )

Red Falcon
5918th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 13:05:post reply

Iron D's thread got me to thinking about this, what was the first game you.. really were addicted to? You know, one you always wanted to go back and play. Hope "addicted" isn't too strong a word.
Mine were Millipede and Q-Bert. Q-Bert destroyed my life, ha ha ha.

Best site EVER:Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Tue 17 Jul 13:06]

Replies:

Juke Joint Jezebel
3578th Post

"Re(1):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 13:23post reply

quote:
Iron D's thread got me to thinking about this, what was the first game you.. really were addicted to? You know, one you always wanted to go back and play. Hope "addicted" isn't too strong a word.
Mine were Millipede and Q-Bert. Q-Bert destroyed my life, ha ha ha.

lol tough one
but i guess Mario 3. i knew the ins and outs of every level in that game because i liked exploring. but that was just a healthy addiction

it wasn't asked, but i'll answer anyways. the first game that i was too addicted to was Hoshigami. that game ruined me the summer i got it. barely ate, barely slept, ps2 was almost always on. NEEDED TO GET STRONGER TO WIN. i pulled the same shit with Disgaea the next summer or two and again later on with World of WarCraft. they can be worse than drugs, man. never again will i let games run my life

Iron D
2761th Post

"Re(2):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 13:43post reply

Well, I can't think of many games that I played that I couldn't say I was addicted to to varying degrees, but I'd say that Super Mario Bros. was the first game that I've not only played ever, but it was an addiction to the point that it was all I could think of, and I even skipped meals to play it.

That was the beginning of a life of enjoying the bliss that is videogames.

Er.....

Catalyst
255th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 13:56post reply

Hm, this one is hard to say for me. I would have gotten into Dr. chaos when I was a wee lad but I got scared by that fat thing that comes out of doors so that didn't work. Double Dragon is an easy favorite but at the time I mashed my way through and couldn't make it to Wily on NES along with Mission impossible.

I'd have to say Ninja Turtles from Ultra and the Konami 2 player version for the NES those kept making me come back. Ninja turtles despite it being a hard game strangely made me want to come back to it but I never beat it [ ultra version ]. The other one I eventually beat with my dad I think.

"My name? If you knew that you'd be as clever as me." - Layer Cake

Toxico
4274th Post

"Re(2):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 14:28post reply

For my the answer is easy; Final Fight, the first game that I played at a daily basis; between 2 and 8 credits a day; 6 days a week and for more than 3 o 4 years... one of the 5 machines that my local arcades had; and that was the only arcade near my house; so not much of a game choice here.

Maou
1189th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 15:24post reply

Good thread! I played all kinds of Super Mario World for hours on end, the SFC being the first game system my young hands ever owned. Of other early games, I think Sonic CD and Lunar~Eternal Blue managed to get me wrapped up for terrifyingly long periods of time in middle school, too.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

IkariDC
635th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 16:05post reply

I wouldn't say it was as much as being addicted, but I can never get bored of:

Nintendo World Cup on Game Boy. It's just too much fun! I only like sport games if they're ridiculous with super shoots and/or you're able to hit each other etc. I was able to finish the game with every team, although it wasn't much of a challenge. I scored more than 100 goals and saw that the goal score glitched cos it only handled up to 99. I wrote down every team member name and the super shoot he had. I spent hours just listening to it's music (but I never called him maestro Sawa!). I knew where to shoot so I could leave the ball on a stone on that type of field. The only thing I couldn't achieve was to hit the ball with the head, it was easy on NES but on Game Boy I couldn't do it!

Super Mario Land 2 on Game Boy. When thinking about Mario games people always forget about this one, it's a fucking gem of a game! I know the ins and outs of this one like no other game of this kind. Also, Super Mario Land was a lot more fun that Super Mario Bros.

The Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening, on Game Boy too he he. I just can't get enough of it, It's a perfect game.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Phoenix
888th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 16:45post reply

Yeah, this is a good thread...
I played the hell out of the following games:
Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Dungeons and Dragons Tower of Doom...

Iron D
2762th Post

"Re(6):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 17:06post reply

quote:
Yeah, this is a good thread...
I played the hell out of the following games:
Streets of Rage 1 & 2, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Dungeons and Dragons Tower of Doom...

Ditto on the first three, though I'm ashamed to say that I never put enough time into Tactics to get Cloud up to level 99, or even anywhere near the levels that my main party was up to by the time you get him. Sigh...

I can't list all the games that I played the heck out of, or else this post would be waaaaaaaay too long.

Er.....

Pollyanna
2287th Post

"Re(7):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 18:01post reply

I play a lot of games, but I never really play any ONE game a whole lot. If I play a game over 100 hours, then that's quite a while for me. When I was young, I would usually rent a new game every weekend, and play until I won it.

I was pretty big on Super Mario Bros when it came out, and I went through Final Fantasy 4 quite a few times (with pretty long sessions each time). When Biohazard came out, I played that all day and all night for several days, until I won it. (but never touched it after that)

I spent countless weekends playing Vampire Hunter with my friends, and I've probably clocked well over 100 hours on numerous fighting games. The first game I "broke the clock" on was DOA2.

I may have spent the most time altogether playing Persona, but it's hard to say.

NARUTO
3562th Post

"Re(8):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 18:13post reply

For me it was Bubble bobble...the 1st video games I've played for hours, and who gives me the video game passion.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Ammadeau
1560th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(9):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 19:08post reply

Pac-man. I had the fever!

IkariDC
636th Post

"Re(10):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Tue 17 Jul 19:50post reply

You guys just made me feel bad for not mentioning Streets of Rage! I should mention Double Dragon as well, Double Dragon Advance FTW!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Time Mage
2579th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):First videogame you were addicte" , posted Tue 17 Jul 19:59post reply

This is a difficult question to answer. Many of the games I've liked a lot could get the prize, but I guess I'll say Illusion of Time for the SNES, my first RPG. I really got absorbed into it.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

kofoguz
554th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):First videogame you were addicte" , posted Tue 17 Jul 20:21post reply

Super Mario Bros, in the arcade first four was thumblepop,Snow bros 2, Super Street fighter 2 and of course Kof 94. Then All kofs except 96 cause my family forbid me to go to arcade.

Mokona
419th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 00:03:post reply

quote:
For me it was Bubble bobble...the 1st video games I've played for hours, and who gives me the video game passion.

Ditto on Bubble Bobble (on my Atari 520 ST), I'd play some mean 2-players games with my cousins and brother, but the furthest we went in the game was around level 75 I think... which goes to say how much time we put into that game.

Soccer games in general were also a big commitment for my cousins and I. We'd spend our holidays playing Kick-off 2.

I also had a healthy addiction with Lode Runner, building impossible levels for my brother (spending around 5 or 6 hours building one, then around 4 hours play-testing it to make sure it was at least possible to finish, and then watch him for days try and make something of it, eh eh)

Those were the days...
And what about the good old times building legos on the floor for days, or playing some Risk... (not to mention, during the summer holidays, we'd play at least a couple hours of soccer every day) we didn't even need videogames then...

Blah!

[this message was edited by Mokona on Wed 18 Jul 00:04]

Catalyst
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 00:20post reply

Question to anyone, did anyone by any chance have a "healthy" addiction to Saga Frontier from ps1?

Extremely fun game right there with lots of different combinations on leveling and such, I wish it was completed though so the story and everything falls into place but thats a game I'll rack to the list for healthy addictions.

Maou
1191th Post

"Re(2):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 00:59:post reply

quote:
Question to anyone, did anyone by any chance have a "healthy" addiction to Saga Frontier from ps1?
I had an abusive relationship with it in that I was convinced that if I finished a scenario or chose the right one I would actually be having fun, and that it was my fault for choosing a scenario that made me want to kill myself Square. Then it turned out that all of them were like that. Either way, it wasn't my first, though it was the first game I bought that I truly regretted, and I'm bitter to this day towards my hated enemy Kawazu. Heheh, not meaning to rain on the parade, but it was a very different addiction for me...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 18 Jul 01:01]

Catalyst
257th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 01:06post reply

quote:
Question to anyone, did anyone by any chance have a "healthy" addiction to Saga Frontier from ps1? I had an abusive relationship with it in that I was convinced that if I finished a scenario or chose the right one I would actually be having fun, and that it was my fault for choosing a scenario that made me want to kill myself Square. Then it turned out that all of them were like that. Either way, it wasn't my first, though it was the first game I bought that I truly regretted, and I'm bitter to this day towards my hated enemy Kawazu. Heheh, not meaning to rain on the parade, but it was a very different addiction for me...

It is all good dude different strokes for different folks. Makes you feel better I hated one of the scenarios with a passion from beginning to end, specifically that Riki character. I really liked it for the endless leveling and different combinations of moves or acquiring of moves for that matter.

Arngrim
269th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 01:10post reply

At first I grow really addicted to the little quantity of NES cartridges I had. I used to spend countless hours playing games like Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 3, Megaman 3, The NewZealand Story or Chip'n'Dale.

Years after, I discovered emulation and I entered a "beat any 16-bit RPG in English" spree. That was fruitful stage.

Funny that, far from being isolated by playing that much rpgs, I managed to drag my friends along on that spiral, with the result of about 10 people playing the same game at home and then comparing results with the others (however, I must admit that we got a little apart from the mainstream by doing that).

Apart from that, FF7 and FF8 also became big time-spenders (with +100h each, which is quite a lot under my point of view).

Story of my life!

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

Maou
1192th Post

"Re(4):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 01:13:post reply

re: Saga

Yeah, I was in love with the idea of seven overlapping scenarios and it probably would have been an addiction if the game weren't out to get you, plus having to punch 100 times until it randomly produced a new move made me suicidal. Oddly enough, it was first Red who I beat the game with (nothing like an ending that simply blacks out the last boss screen and says, "The End," arghgh), then with that monster boy. So maybe it was an addiction in that I played another whole scenario after that in search of my money's worth...!

quote:
Apart from that, FF7 and FF8 also became big time-spenders (with +100h each, which is quite a lot under my point of view).
Yeah Arngrim, I'd say that counts, though they weren't my first, but still...I broke the clock on my first play of VII trying to kill Weapons in the US version of that game (a huge mistake in retrospect, as I like to burst through the story on the first play and then if I ever replay, then I can be perfectionistic, which I no longer am anyway). I must have hit 80 hours in my beloved VIII, too, but fortunately it was the second playthrough, where I got everyone's best weapons, killed Omega, and (foolishly and pointlessly) got every single Triple Triad card. Your reward: a star by the Card menu. Never again....

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 18 Jul 01:19]

Just a Person
939th Post

"Re(5):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 01:28post reply

Street Fighter II: Champion Edition.

Man, I played this game all the time when I was a kid! I managed to finish the game with all the characters (even Zangief - I know many people like to play as him, but I don't play very well with strong but slow characters).

Other nice memories from the games I played back then include Super Mario World, Sonic, Sonic 2, Sonic 3, Super Mario Kart, Final Fight 2, and the Streets of Rage trilogy (specially the second one; first one was also addictive; the third one is nice but not as good as the previous ones).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Catalyst
258th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 01:36post reply

quote:
re: Saga

Yeah, I was in love with the idea of seven overlapping scenarios and it probably would have been an addiction if the game weren't out to get you, plus having to punch 100 times until it randomly produced a new move made me suicidal. Oddly enough, it was first Red who I beat the game with (nothing like an ending that simply blacks out the last boss screen and says, "The End," arghgh), then with that monster boy. So maybe it was an addiction in that I played another whole scenario after that in search of my money's worth...!

Ohhhh! You mean Blue's ending, yea that was some utter what the shuffle up the buffalo on that one. Seeing the game was rushed I will agree that was one wierd ending as there was supposed to be another character scenario on top of it. I believe to my understanding though his game was the last to close all scenarios with Asellus being first and Blue being the last for closing the game.

I'll admit though learning those skills was not an easy task even I wanted to poke my eyes out just for learning a move to complete that DSC combination. I found it easier to segregate races in the game keeping humans with humans to learn skills off each other. Look at me now I'm playing god =/ segregating races. Back on topic we go!

Phoenix
890th Post

"Re(7):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 01:42:post reply

quote:

Ditto on the first three, though I'm ashamed to say that I never put enough time into Tactics to get Cloud up to level 99, or even anywhere near the levels that my main party was up to by the time you get him. Sigh...

I can't list all the games that I played the heck out of, or else this post would be waaaaaaaay too long.

I managed to get Cloud to hang with the rest of my team. Finally made that Omnislash take only about 3 turns or so? But yeah all I need is Orlandu by himself... SoR2 is also my fave in the trilogy. I still remember this nasty combo with Max where he attacks, knees you in the face, and snaps your freakin neck off... The combo takes like almost two life bars away! And of course his back breaker makes the best noise.

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Wed 18 Jul 01:43]

sfried
5th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 01:59post reply

Aside from Super Mario Bros., I guess Faxanadu, although because that was the only other game we had that I could comprehend at a time when I was a kid. (The other game that we had was Shinghen The Ruler, but that said, I might want to go back and play it now)

Gojira
2186th Post

"Re(2):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 02:18post reply

Speed Rumbler. I never really got that good at it but I played it a lot when I was in grade school since it was at the 7-11.

crazymike
1347th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 04:22post reply

Definitely Dragon Warrior 1, remember how PO'ed I was to be killed for joining with the Dragon lord to conquer the world.

Bata kun
3057th Post

"Re(4):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 05:02post reply

"Mario III". I mean, Kuribou's shoe! How can you not go wrong with the shoe?!

ふもっふ!

Evenor
577th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 10:08post reply

quote:
I had an abusive relationship with it in that I was convinced that if I finished a scenario or chose the right one I would actually be having fun, and that it was my fault for choosing a scenario that made me want to kill myself Square. Then it turned out that all of them were like that. Either way, it wasn't my first, though it was the first game I bought that I truly regretted, and I'm bitter to this day towards my hated enemy Kawazu. Heheh, not meaning to rain on the parade, but it was a very different addiction for me...

I was the same with Siren. It was the first game that seriously pissed me off. But I would always return to try to beat that days mission. I think I stuck through it because the actual act of completing a scenario and the thrill of running for your life was so satisfying. That's why I love (and respect) the game.

Probably one of the few games I use to play everyday was King of fighters '99 ( 98 really ) on Dreamcast. During my middle school days I would play for hours, messing around with different characters. Before that, I use to religiously force my friend to play Super Puzzle fighter II Turbo for the PS.

Pollyanna
2288th Post

"Re(4):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 10:25post reply

quote:

I was the same with Siren. It was the first game that seriously pissed me off. But I would always return to try to beat that days mission. I think I stuck through it because the actual act of completing a scenario and the thrill of running for your life was so satisfying. That's why I love (and respect) the game.

Probably one of the few games I use to play everyday was King of fighters '99 ( 98 really ) on Dreamcast. During my middle school days I would play for hours, messing around with different characters. Before that, I use to religiously force my friend to play Super Puzzle fighter II Turbo for the PS.

Yeah, I love games like that (Siren) where it's pain pain pain, but when you're finished, you really feel like you've accomplished something. Of course, I prefer games that are fun fun fun, then make you feel like you've accomplished something (God Hand), but pain is nice, too.

I never finished Siren, though...mostly because it took too much brain power for me, and I had to play with several other people.

I forgot about KOF 98. I used to play that almost every day, for probably 2 years. I didn't play a LOT every day, but I'd do a game or two. It was the same way with DOA2, where I would do time attack, and win the game 3 times in less than 15 minutes.

Undead Fred
2900th Post

"Re(5):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 11:38post reply

quote:
Nintendo World Cup on Game Boy. It's just too much fun! I only like sport games if they're ridiculous with super shoots and/or you're able to hit each other etc. I was able to finish the game with every team, although it wasn't much of a challenge. I scored more than 100 goals and saw that the goal score glitched cos it only handled up to 99. I wrote down every team member name and the super shoot he had. I spent hours just listening to it's music (but I never called him maestro Sawa!). I knew where to shoot so I could leave the ball on a stone on that type of field. The only thing I couldn't achieve was to hit the ball with the head, it was easy on NES but on Game Boy I couldn't do it!

Ha ha, I mostly used Germany... I had read a review before it came out back then and heard they were the fastest, so I kept using them. I always felt sorry for Cameroon... I think they were one of the slowest teams, if I remember right.

My first real addiction to a game was probably River City Ransom... I was really into a lot of games (like Elevator Action and so forth), but I think River City was the first game to REALLY grow on me. I used to love roaming the city and collecting money to buy DRAGON FEET and STONE HANDS and other cool stuff like that.

HAYATO
791th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 15:15post reply

Well, for me, everything began with Sega Genesis/Mega Drive when I was 9. I spent countless hours playing "Sonic" , "Last Battle" (the censored version of "Hokuto no Ken 2") before I even knew about HnK's existence, "Toe Jam and Earl" and "Strider". I can't tell wich one hooked me most, for many years have passed since then, but I'm sure those were the first games that marked me forever...

About Arcade games... I recall spending about 1000 pesetas (6€ now/ 40 credits then) in a row playing Konami's "TMNT" when I was 7. Suddenly, while fighting Krang, my mother appeared by my side, dragged me out of the arcade center and beated the crap out of me for being such an asshole... the worst thing of all is that I couldn't finish my play!!!

IkariDC
638th Post

"Re(7):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 15:41post reply

quote:

Ha ha, I mostly used Germany... I had read a review before it came out back then and heard they were the fastest, so I kept using them. I always felt sorry for Cameroon... I think they were one of the slowest teams, if I remember right.

Yeah, if you don't pick any of those teams, the first match is against Cameroon (slowest team) and the final match is against Germany (fastest team).

quote:
About Arcade games... I recall spending about 1000 pesetas (6€ now/ 40 credits then) in a row playing Konami's "TMNT" when I was 7. Suddenly, while fighting Krang, my mother appeared by my side, dragged me out of the arcade center and beated the crap out of me for being such an asshole... the worst thing of all is that I couldn't finish my play!!!

LOL! Owned by your mother! Now I understand a lot of things... I think that the arcade in which I spent most money in a row was Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. I beat it after spending about 500 pesetas.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Time Mage
2580th Post

"Re(8):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Wed 18 Jul 16:49post reply

quote:
LOL! Owned by your mother! Now I understand a lot of things... I think that the arcade in which I spent most money in a row was Cadillacs & Dinosaurs. I beat it after spending about 500 pesetas.

Eh ,that a great (even if a bit offtopic) theme, too. The arcade I spent the most in one go was Two Crude Dudes. I played it nearly every day during one summer with my brother, and at the end of the summer we went there with 250 Pesetas each one and finally beat it! I remember it as something really epic.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

Maese Spt
379th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Thu 19 Jul 15:08post reply

Yet another thread wto make me realize how old I am and how I have wasted most of my youth playing videogames... ;_; Oh well, who cares. Here I go.

- 1st addiction: Super Pang. That arcade totally got me totally hooked up for good one year and a half when I was a 12 years old brat. I used to play it on a bar my parents were specially fond of. Only could manage to finish it on MAME, many years later, tough.

- 2nd addiction: SF2 World Warrior. Super Pang paved the way, but this one was the reason I actually started liking videogames.That summer I spent more time in front of any crappy 2 button SF2 machine I could find than in the beach or wherever. After that, I decided to get a Super NES, and this lead me to the perdition...

... - 3rd addiction: Super Mario World: man, this was totally INSANE. I bought a Super NES only to play SF2, but then it came with SMW in the same pack, and in two days I had ditched Ryu and Co. and played Mario as if it were no tomorrow. My very first videoconsole addiction. The bitch still can get addictive today, if I don't handle the doses with proper care.

Honor mentions:

- Legend of Zelda: a link to the past. This is not a game, this is cocaine. My parents even tried to hide the cartridge from me. I can't blame them. Even today I am still an addict. Damn you, Shigeru. Give me back my puberty.

- Tekken (1): never played in the arcade, but on PSX I must have spent like 200 hours or so. It was my first 3D fighting game, and ir amazed the crap out of me.

- Sould Edge: THE GAME OF MY LIFE. During two years I played religiously at least one credit (50 pesetas at first, the second year only 25) every single day when coming back home from high school. I started skipping classes on a regular basis mainly thanks to because of this game. After that, the PSX version came out, and I can't possibly count how many hours I spent with it. I remember beating it several times on a friend's house, on a PC monitor with the image switched off and having the sound as our only guide. Totally insane. Even when Soul Calibur came out I still kept playing my good ol' PSX Soul Blade. I also went to the arcade from time to time to remember old times, even having the PSX version at home. It was such a sad day when they finally ditched the Sould Edge cabinet (to allocate a pirate ISS Pro boot >_<)... I guess my life can not be understood without having into account the impact this game had on me back then.

- Ridge Racer: for 6 months it was the only game I had for my PSX, but I didn't care cuz I totally LOVED it. The only racing game I've ever liked.

- Die Hard Arcade: other of my high school times religions. Played every single day after (or even during!) class. Who needed weed having this?

- Gensou Suikoden (I): so fucking fun, so fucking addictive. I played at late night when my brain hurted for playing Soul Edge for so many hours (and, thus, I wasn't able to pull out combos anymore).

Soul Calibur and Tekken 3 got me for a long time too, and beating FF VII about 3 or 4 times can be considered as somewhat addictive too. Oh, and Ocarina of Time became pretty obsessive as well. Being a Zelda, it does not surpise me.

Hmm, quite a mental disorder historial we have here...X_x

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Cain Highwind
767th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(10):First videogame you were addicted to" , posted Thu 19 Jul 15:32post reply

Well I replayed the hell out of all my NES games back in the day. But the one that sticks out is definitely the ORIGINAL Final Fantasy. I played it over and over again trying out different combinations, which as a 9 year old, just blew my mind.

I beat it several times legitimately, but I would also use a Game Genie to give my characters insanely high evade making them practically invincible.

It was also the first game (along with Mario and Megaman) where I really appreciated game music. I had stuck something into the "vents" of the TV causing the Sound to completely cut out. I was without sound in my games for a good year or two (but I deserved it).

I had just an NES for a LONG time, from 89 to about 97 when I FINALLY saved up enough to buy those remodeled SNES's. I was totally out of the gaming loop for many years because I was lucky to get a new game from my folks, but a new system was completely out of the question.

But I played Mario RPG and THAT became my big addiction for a while, and then after all my crazy FFI playing, I got my hands on "Final Fantasy III" and my mind was turned upside down (as you can imagine, going from NES to SNES, namely FFI to FFVI was completely mindblowing)

exodus
3963th Post

"hmmm" , posted Thu 19 Jul 16:01post reply

this is a hard question for me. I never played games til I was 8 or 9, which explains some of the huge gaps I have in my knowledge (the NES escapes me almost entirely).

I'd say maybe AD&D for the 2600? That was the only console I owned back then, and I kept trying to beat it.

Past that, I was pretty casual...played everything just a bit. But I did beat Dragon Force two and a half times in early high school, so that could be the real one. I remember playing that a lot, and Panzer Dragoon. 3 times for that one.

Kikkoken
1136th Post

"Re(1):hmmm" , posted Thu 19 Jul 16:45post reply

Donkey Kong (arcade).