JPN or Modded Dreamcast - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2294 Views )

ZamIAm
1642th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Tue 10 Jul 05:15post reply

Where is the best place to find an inexpensize Japanese or Modded Dreamcast? I haven't seen any eBay bids open at the moment and it seems like both NCSX and Play-Asia are out of stock.

Replies:

exodus
3941th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Tue 10 Jul 05:20post reply

quote:
Where is the best place to find an inexpensize Japanese or Modded Dreamcast? I haven't seen any eBay bids open at the moment and it seems like both NCSX and Play-Asia are out of stock.

are you against the swap discs or something? that's the easiest way by far, though there's reportedly some easy mod out now too.

ZamIAm
1643th Post

"Re(2):JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Tue 10 Jul 05:32post reply

quote:
are you against the swap discs or something? that's the easiest way by far, though there's reportedly some easy mod out now too.

Not at all. It's just that the only one I know of, DC-X, has essentially been out of stock (or in stock and then sold out fast) everywhere I've ever looked. If you got suggestions then I'm listening.

Dr Baghead
3691th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Tue 10 Jul 05:55post reply

http://cgi.ebay.com/DREAMCAST-GAMESHARK-GAME-SHARK-ENHANCER-LITE-SEGA-NEW_W0QQitemZ250138740150QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Try one of these (or if not that one any DC Gameshark)

When my Japanese DC broke (or more to the point my father's retard dog smashed it on the floor) and I had to buy a US DC a Gameshark allowed me to continue to enjoy all my Japanese disc.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Maou
1170th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Tue 10 Jul 14:16post reply

You could ask Mail Order Japan and see if they can find one. Dreamcasts don't cost much more than 1500 or 2000 yen in most places, so it could be worth it if you want the real deal.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Amakusa
717th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Wed 11 Jul 13:44post reply

I found a demo version of the CD-X a long time ago and burned it to a CD-R. I wonder if that image is still floating around somewhere.

Actually, now I'm starting to wonder if that CD-R melted. I haven't used it in quite a while.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

ZamIAm
1651th Post

"Re(2):JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Tue 31 Jul 07:26post reply

quote:
http://cgi.ebay.com/DREAMCAST-GAMESHARK-GAME-SHARK-ENHANCER-LITE-SEGA-NEW_W0QQitemZ250138740150QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4303QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Try one of these (or if not that one any DC Gameshark)

When my Japanese DC broke (or more to the point my father's retard dog smashed it on the floor) and I had to buy a US DC a Gameshark allowed me to continue to enjoy all my Japanese disc.

Just an update: Game Shark did work and after years of biding time I'm finally enjoying DreamStudio. Still a little peeved that it was never ported to US, I'm still glad to have it. I wish there were translations for the text in the preloaded games on the disc.

Grave
954th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Tue 31 Jul 07:36post reply

Game Shark does work, and I used to use it to play US games on my Japanese DC, but I haven't used it since the Utopia boot disc hit... and that was a long, long time ago. It should still be easy to find an image of that, at least, it always was. If you can't, let me know and I'll see if I still have it around. Seemed like much less of a hassle and was compatible with everything I threw at it.

Swapping is a problem for a few games, but very few AFAIK. Only one I witnessed personally was Sonic Adventure 2. Copy protection in the form of a game-breaking glitch near the end of the game. I was playing a legit US copy on a Japanese DC. Ran out and bought a US DC that week. :(

Ammadeau
1561th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):JPN or Modded Dreamcast" , posted Tue 31 Jul 12:42post reply

quote:
Just an update: Game Shark did work and after years of biding time I'm finally enjoying DreamStudio. Still a little peeved that it was never ported to US, I'm still glad to have it. I wish there were translations for the text in the preloaded games on the disc.

There was a huge board for Dreamstudio in Japan during around the time of its release where you could download all kinds of crazy stuff. Pretty cool what people could do with the rather limited enviroment. I made the engine for a zelda-like game myself, but I never filled in the actual detail. Still, the character could jump, fight, move blocks around, and even transform. Real shame it never had a US release.

ZamIAm
1652th Post

"DreamStud!o" , posted Fri 3 Aug 10:30post reply

quote:
There was a huge board for Dreamstudio in Japan during around the time of its release where you could download all kinds of crazy stuff. Pretty cool what people could do with the rather limited enviroment. I made the engine for a zelda-like game myself, but I never filled in the actual detail. Still, the character could jump, fight, move blocks around, and even transform. Real shame it never had a US release.

Any chance you still have it? Granted, my DC isn't online but it would be a nice incentive for me to set it up. I've only done so much due to lack of free time but I do see that the engine is pretty powerful despite limitations. And how did you set up jumping?

Ammadeau
1562th Post

"Re(1):DreamStud!o" , posted Fri 3 Aug 12:09post reply

quote:
Any chance you still have it? Granted, my DC isn't online but it would be a nice incentive for me to set it up. I've only done so much due to lack of free time but I do see that the engine is pretty powerful despite limitations. And how did you set up jumping?

I have one of those special DC memory cards that you can copy files to a PC with. I still have my work files, but I'll need a bit of time to hunt down the cable for it, if you can get a compatible memory card yourself. I MIGHT also have the files I downloaded from the BBS I mentioned. I know I kept my custom JGR tags, so they might be in with them.

I can't clearly remember how I did jumping, at work now so I can't check the file, but it was something to moving the character up and forward, and checking if there was anything solid to land on. I think. I also made a puzzle where a character needed to move blocks in place to form a bridge to move across.

I'll look more into this over the weekend.

ZamIAm
1653th Post

"Re(2):DreamStud!o" , posted Fri 3 Aug 21:55post reply

quote:
I have one of those special DC memory cards that you can copy files to a PC with. I still have my work files, but I'll need a bit of time to hunt down the cable for it, if you can get a compatible memory card yourself. I MIGHT also have the files I downloaded from the BBS I mentioned. I know I kept my custom JGR tags, so they might be in with them.

I can't clearly remember how I did jumping, at work now so I can't check the file, but it was something to moving the character up and forward, and checking if there was anything solid to land on. I think. I also made a puzzle where a character needed to move blocks in place to form a bridge to move across.

I'll have to save up to try to get one of those. BTW, what file system does GameFAQs use? I'm asking because you might be able to save your own web space and give a larger amount of people access.

Ammadeau
1563th Post

"Re(3):DreamStud!o" , posted Fri 3 Aug 22:28post reply

quote:
I'll have to save up to try to get one of those. BTW, what file system does GameFAQs use? I'm asking because you might be able to save your own web space and give a larger amount of people access.

No idea, but I'm home now and I've found the files I've saved... and there's a lot of them. Nearly 50. They're in the .dci format, but I have a converter program anyway. Putting them all up on a website would be a bit rough though. I'd be better if you had a memory card that could connect to the PC. The one I have is a Nexus brand, which NCSX actually has in stock, though it's a bit pricy with the way you have to buy the cable seperately. Probably search around and you'll find a cheaper price for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-16-Meg-Memory-Unit-3200-Blocks_W0QQitemZ170135862109QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41055QQcmdZViewItem

Found an auction for one. Just never save anything in the first page of the card, because it can be erased.

If you want just my unfinished works, I could upload them however you want, once I find the link cable, though you'll have to tell me how.

ZamIAm
1654th Post

"Re(4):DreamStud!o" , posted Sun 5 Aug 00:13post reply

quote:
No idea, but I'm home now and I've found the files I've saved... and there's a lot of them. Nearly 50. They're in the .dci format, but I have a converter program anyway. Putting them all up on a website would be a bit rough though. I'd be better if you had a memory card that could connect to the PC. The one I have is a Nexus brand, which NCSX actually has in stock, though it's a bit pricy with the way you have to buy the cable seperately. Probably search around and you'll find a cheaper price for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sega-Dreamcast-16-Meg-Memory-Unit-3200-Blocks_W0QQitemZ170135862109QQihZ007QQcategoryZ41055QQcmdZViewItem

Found an auction for one. Just never save anything in the first page of the card, because it can be erased.

If you want just my unfinished works, I could upload them however you want, once I find the link cable, though you'll have to tell me how.

I sort of want "everything" but it would be a delay before I could get ahold of it since I have dialup at home. I guess my main interest are the more unique coding examples and complete games. It sort of sucks that DreamStudio doesn't have a seperate runtime environment to distribute, (which would have really helped the game. Oh well. One request I have for your stuff is if you could possibly add comments to your coding sections.

Ammadeau
1564th Post

"Re(5):DreamStud!o" , posted Sun 5 Aug 20:57post reply

quote:
I sort of want "everything" but it would be a delay before I could get ahold of it since I have dialup at home. I guess my main interest are the more unique coding examples and complete games. It sort of sucks that DreamStudio doesn't have a seperate runtime environment to distribute, (which would have really helped the game. Oh well. One request I have for your stuff is if you could possibly add comments to your coding sections.

All the files from the site are very small. Zipped up they're only 734k, but all that's still in .dci format.

I could probably answer questions of the coding I did, but it's been a while since I played around with it, and there's a chance I wouldn't remember.

The game had a niche in Japan. I think it would have done fairly well if they had bothered to bring it over to the US. In some ways it's a lot more flexible than the RPG Maker series.