Any MMA fans here? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5491 Views )

GekigangerV
1381th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Any MMA fans here?" , posted Sun 8 Jul 13:53post reply

I just got back from seeing UFC Stacked at the bar and was checking to see if any of you fellows follow the sport?

Overall I thought it was a good card.

I think Herring should have had the fight by referee stoppage. A very lackluster debut for Nogueira.

Shrek/Franca went how I expected. Shrek is just a dominant wrestler.

Ortiz/Evans was interesting. It was probably the guillotine at the end of the second round that evened up the score card as I had the round very even until then. I wonder who will take on Rampage after his fight with Henderson as I was picking Evans to win this fight and become the number one contender.

Anderson Silva is a beast in the UFC. Although he has a black belt in bjj it doesn't show as he gets taken down, but he it willing to just put his opponent in the guard and work from there. I don't see Franklin taking back the title.

Replies:

Juke Joint Jezebel
3573th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Any MMA fans here?" , posted Sun 8 Jul 14:04post reply

arg
i was supposed to see that tonight but left too late, so i decided not to go at all. haven't been keeping up with UFC. saw a couple of fights here and there. i watched Ortiz trash that guy that hates him a long time ago. Shamrock? i dunno the names anymore. i just remember the fight lasted a few seconds

lately, been watching IFL, since i'm a hermit that doesn't go out to bars much. don't have cable or anything else, so IFL's kinda nice to watch. i'm pretty sad because it was here in Houston a while back, but i couldn't find anyone to go with. so i never went. then i hear later from friends of friends that it was one of the greatest things they've ever seen in their life. ugh >:o

i'm trying to find some of the Japanese stuff. what's it called? K9 or Pride or something? i saw some of that a looong time ago when my Japanese buddy was still in the states. my favorite guy from that was this traditional judo/jujutsu dude that still wore a gi. he wasn't at the top but he still took people down, especially with that lovely gi choke. i heard that they're not allowed to wear gis anymore though. but it's all hearsay! someone fill me in!

GekigangerV
1383th Post

"Re(2):Any MMA fans here?" , posted Mon 9 Jul 02:23:post reply

quote:

i'm trying to find some of the Japanese stuff. what's it called? K9 or Pride or something? i saw some of that a looong time ago when my Japanese buddy was still in the states. my favorite guy from that was this traditional judo/jujutsu dude that still wore a gi. he wasn't at the top but he still took people down, especially with that lovely gi choke. i heard that they're not allowed to wear gis anymore though. but it's all hearsay! someone fill me in!

Pride was a great organization. Too bad that bad business decisions made it go under. They have a great DVD collection though. They have box sets of their earlier events that are pretty cheap.

Link Here

I believe you can get them cheaper at Wal-Mart or Best Buy.

I think some of the earlier Pride events aren't too great. They didn't allow knees to the head on the ground back then, they didn't have a good pool of fighters and a fight or two was fixed back then.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Mon 9 Jul 02:27]

Catalyst
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Any MMA fans here?" , posted Mon 9 Jul 04:05:post reply

quote:
I just got back from seeing UFC Stacked at the bar and was checking to see if any of you fellows follow the sport?

Overall I thought it was a good card.

I think Herring should have had the fight by referee stoppage. A very lackluster debut for Nogueira.

Shrek/Franca went how I expected. Shrek is just a dominant wrestler.

Ortiz/Evans was interesting. It was probably the guillotine at the end of the second round that evened up the score card as I had the round very even until then. I wonder who will take on Rampage after his fight with Henderson as I was picking Evans to win this fight and become the number one contender.

Anderson Silva is a beast in the UFC. Although he has a black belt in bjj it doesn't show as he gets taken down, but he it willing to just put his opponent in the guard and work from there. I don't see Franklin taking back the title.

I follow MMA quite closely currently it is only a hobby for me with school being full time but will consider it as a full time job if successful and other factors as well.

I have to agree with you guys Noguiera didn't impress me as I thought he would though despite taking that nice kick from Herring. Yet despite landing that kick and thinking Noguiera was out Herring really should of just finished it and let the ground and pound do its work. I think probably it came more of a shock to Herring that he knocked him with a kick seeing the likes of Crocop and Fedor placing such heavy hits on Noguiera and he is still being able to stand. Personally I think it should of been a draw.

edit: whoops forgot that Herring did do G&P I kept seeing the replay of the kick over and over and forgot about that. Have to change my stance on the draw towards the win for Nogeira due to the fact he wasn't limp like Chuck Lidell afterh is rampage rematch fight

Sherk and Franca, nothing will be taken away from Franca however I'm suprised Sherk walked into 3 knees that many times. I don't want to put Sherk for the title "lay and pray" in this fight cause he did more ground and pound and constantly switching positions from half guard to side mount but there had to be a few openings he could of took for a submissions.

However I digress, his hard work and experience in MMA overshadows anything he does as he clearly deserves that belt. I'm waiting for BJ Penn vs Sherk if Bj wishes to stay 155, after watching BJ simply play around with Jens pulver leading him from submission to submission I'd love to see those two guys go at it. Then again Jens Pulver himself admitted he's one dimensional as a sprawl and brawl fighter.

Tito and Rashad, I'll leave it at that. Not the same Tito though he is usually in peak condition. Awkward fight, Tito would have won if he didn't grab the cage as it is a point deduction on his behalf. However nothing taken away from Rashad as he did do some pressing on his own on his stand up. Wierd fight but honest result. Rampage and Hendo, hm possibly Shogun is fighting. Big word going down that Shogun is going to be fighting for the UFC.

Anderson Silva lastly is great, getting a black belt from the Noguiera brothers does show his game completely when he is fighting from the guard position. Yet he does need some wrestling applied as BJJ dependent on school wouldn't stress sprawls as they would as wrestling in there for his sprawl action though he did place 2 very very good sprawls in the entire match.

Gackt - Returner

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Mon 9 Jul 16:56]

Oroch
966th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Any MMA fans here?" , posted Mon 9 Jul 04:06post reply

quote:

Pride was a great organization. Too bad that bad business decisions made it go under. They have a great DVD collection though. They have box sets of their earlier events that are pretty cheap.

Link Here

I think some of the earlier Pride events aren't too great. They didn't allow knees to the head on the ground back then, they didn't have a good pool of fighters and a fight or two was fixed back then.

the new pride(if ufc wants to keep it going) will be bullshit as it will run under crappy american ufc rules

course i havent seen it in ages

Hagen de Merak
955th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Any MMA fans here?" , posted Mon 9 Jul 04:53post reply

quote:

the new pride(if ufc wants to keep it going) will be bullshit as it will run under crappy american ufc rules

Yeah I don't think it will be the same. The old pride was way better than UFC imo.

Catalyst
238th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Any MMA fans here?" , posted Mon 9 Jul 05:58:post reply

quote:

Link Here

I'm truly going to miss knees to down opponents, soccer kicks to the head, and stomps. I mean most of the dominant positions are the side mount, back and front mount. I can understand stomps being taken out cause thats a lot of weight crashing down with gravity just on a chest, but knees to the head or soccer kicks? Honestly that is so stupid for the NSAC to take those out as it makes the fighter who is on there back not lay there and continuously be pressed to have a fiercer ground game and continuous movement on the ground and not be stuck on the same position. Personally I would like it if the UFC used yellow cards in the organization.

I mean honestly what is the difference between getting kneed in the face like Rich Franklin did as opposed to getting kneed at the side of the head via the Takanori Gomi fight vs Ralph Gracie or even taking a kick to the head from a soccer kick. It really can't be that much of a difference. I mean it is supposed to be a fight how clean cut do you want a fight to wipe there self with a toilet paper.

What i'll really miss is the grand prix. Fighting twice in the same night if one is successful many many different results. Pure fun right there.

Gackt - Returner

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Mon 9 Jul 06:03]

GekigangerV
1383th Post

"Re(5):Any MMA fans here?" , posted Tue 10 Jul 06:57post reply

I heard Dana White (UFC President) was trying to petition the athletic commissions to allow knees to the head on the ground. However, he doesn't seem to be a fan of stomps or soccer kicks.

My main gripe with the unified rules is the 10 point system. I preferred the judging criteria of Pride which focused on finishing the fight. Their yellow card system was great too, but America doesn't allow penalizing the pay of the fighters.

UFC Stacked attendance and pay

Link Here

Shrek seems underpaid, Ortiz over, but Silva is about just right. I am surprised they weren't able to sell out an even with two title fights and Ortiz on the card.

Ortiz says that Evans greased up

Pretty stupid to accuse a grappler of greasing when it hurts them just as much.

Catalyst
240th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):Any MMA fans here?" , posted Tue 10 Jul 10:53:post reply

quote:
I heard Dana White (UFC President) was trying to petition the athletic commissions to allow knees to the head on the ground. However, he doesn't seem to be a fan of stomps or soccer kicks.

My main gripe with the unified rules is the 10 point system. I preferred the judging criteria of Pride which focused on finishing the fight. Their yellow card system was great too, but America doesn't allow penalizing the pay of the fighters.

UFC Stacked attendance and pay

Link Here

Shrek seems underpaid, Ortiz over, but Silva is about just right. I am surprised they weren't able to sell out an even with two title fights and Ortiz on the card.

Ortiz says that Evans greased up

Pretty stupid to accuse a grappler of greasing when it hurts them just as much.

I'm a bit befuddled with Sean Sherk also getting paid so low for a champ, then again the light weight class just begun and slowly becoming a stacked division. Yet it is a weak excuse to make such a statement. Sean's Manager has to force out more for his pay or even his sponsors are giving more for his win. Unsure depending on the circumstances or is just plain out satisfied.

Ortiz getting paid for his worth, I can't blame him wanting to be paid 210 per purse. As extreme as it is to such an end wouldn't you guys want to get the most amount of money for the most strenuous amount of work you put out? I know I do. Even starting since there is barely much of an amateur division of MMA unless you want to consider King of the Cage or other small events, making money in that sport is the rewards for either being marketable or an undisputed champion and a good manager. Cause sometimes you won't fight for any money or shoddy promotions etc.

As a fan of Takanori gomi and disappointed in his performance against Nick Diaz [ none taking away that was one beautiful gogoplata and hard to pull off ] he could fall in the same category as well with in synonmous to Ortiz vs Rashad. Although news was taken he fought on short notice then Nick being high, ok maybe not the best relation to ortiz vs rashad but the start up is there.

Mind you that does not excuse Ortiz for such a display of a fight. I was actually going for Ortiz in this fight as it should be nothing for him but apparently, not to criticize maybe his life style or him taking Rashad so lightly to declare him as greased up is ridiculous. It is called sweat. Fedor Emelianenko has been known to sweat a whole lot as experienced from other fighters making it such a harder time to grasp him and make submissions.

As for the point system in the UFC, I think in some instances it is fair but from different angles it remains questionable to the judge whether or not the fighter is remaining active. Yellow Card's for the UFC is the best bet. Penalization of pay would come in Red card would be issued on an illegal action so nothing wrong with a Yellow card. Red card's are unlimited as opposed to three yellow card DQ rule in Pride, so no pay deduction is made on yellow cards. Only red card's on the Pride Bushido shows were the ones that deducted. Would of been perfect for that horrible Josh Koscheck vs Diego Sanchez fight.

Sweet! Knees on the ground, finally more active grappling, finally gives light on real grappling and not just laying there waiting to stall. As for soccer kicks I still think thats insanely stupid. Take out standing head kicks or knees to the head if the fighter doesn't like it he can tap there is no shame in that. Oh well, atleast it is a legitimized sport under ESPN slowly but surely. Though they still take their potshots at MMA discreetly in favor of the whole Boxing vs MMA fiasco.

Gackt - Returner

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Tue 10 Jul 11:07]

GekigangerV
1390th Post

"New UFC game" , posted Fri 13 Jul 04:58post reply

Link Here

The movements are obviously prerendered, but the character models don't look like too big of a step from Fight Night Round 3 so they might be something we will get.

Catalyst
248th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):New UFC game" , posted Fri 13 Jul 07:44post reply

quote:
Link Here

The movements are obviously prerendered, but the character models don't look like too big of a step from Fight Night Round 3 so they might be something we will get.

Ah, the rampage slam. I miss that so much after that fight with Ricardo Arona. Nice presentation for the game though, simple!

"My name? If you knew that you'd be as clever as me." - Layer Cake

GekigangerV
1394th Post

"News" , posted Fri 20 Jul 04:57post reply

Sean Sherk test positive for steroid

Hermes Franca test positice for "banned substance"

Sucks for Sherk if it is true since he was supposed to fight BJ Penn in a couple of months. Hopefully this will open up Joe Stevenson and Roger Huerta to get the title.

UFC 75 will be on Spike

By Unification it means the true beginning of the deletion of Pride. The title will never be broken down again even if it is vacated.

Interview with Josh Barnett

Catalyst
267th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):News" , posted Fri 20 Jul 05:31post reply

quote:
Sean Sherk test positive for steroid

Hermes Franca test positice for "banned substance"

Sucks for Sherk if it is true since he was supposed to fight BJ Penn in a couple of months. Hopefully this will open up Joe Stevenson and Roger Huerta to get the title.

UFC 75 will be on Spike

By Unification it means the true beginning of the deletion of Pride. The title will never be broken down again even if it is vacated.

Interview with Josh Barnett

OOO. That is a kick in the balls, that's all I gotta say that is a double whammy right there. So much for UFC 78 penn vs sherk. Come on "Kid" Yamamoto if you're coming! Then again Urijah Faber wants a piece of him!

My thoughts and prayers go out to Forrest Griffin. He just got a win up from a lost now Mauricio "Shogun" Rua's coach Rudimar Federico confirmed a battle between the two. Instead of the Shogun vs Lyoto Machida fight.

Confirmed Shogun vs Griffin

As for the unification fight I honestly cannot, absolutely, cannot wait to see Hendo fight again. Interesting match up for him and Rampage to go toe to toe.

Though I wouldn't say necessarily a deletion of pride, theres word that pride will be starting up in August. Leads me to believe the future status of Takanori Gomi, big word with him he was going to supposedly fight for K-1 heroes making their lightweight division one stacked division. Unconfirmed as of where his status will be next.

Pride Reborn August 18?

Personally i'm still waiting on the Wanderlei Silva/ Lidell fight. It was supposed to happen this year but it is all over the place at the moment

Silva: I did not chicken out

Lastly, with Josh Barnett, I hope he comes back to the UFC as he is in standing good terms with them despite his past incident with steroid use too. I think he would be a definite top dog here in the UFC.

GekigangerV
1405th Post

"Wanderlei to UFC in December" , posted Thu 2 Aug 05:59post reply

Wanderlei Silva

December would put him in a position to fight Chuck since his fight with Jardine will be in September.

I doubt that that Pride Reborn show is going to happen since it is a little over 2 weeks away with no announcements.

Hopefully Shogun's debut is worthwhile.

Catalyst
279th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Wanderlei to UFC in December" , posted Thu 2 Aug 12:30:post reply

quote:
Wanderlei Silva

December would put him in a position to fight Chuck since his fight with Jardine will be in September.

I doubt that that Pride Reborn show is going to happen since it is a little over 2 weeks away with no announcements.

Hopefully Shogun's debut is worthwhile.

Hopefully if Lidell wins against Jardine he won't sustain serious injuries that would lead him into suspension by the NSAC holding back from the Wanderlei fight. Sweet~

Yea seeing that is August right now it is like where are you Pride? Kinda like sucking my thumb and sleeping in bed knowing everything won't be okay.

Shogun debut should be interesting seeing it is with Griffin a person who wants to stand and bang irregardless. Though his last fight in Ireland was a hesitant one, he fighting on his terms as opposed to putting on the show stopping fights he usually does. But I'm sure they will put the fight right out there. Then again they are fighters and should strictly focus on their job and priorities with the smallest bit focused on entertainment.

Gomi to Heroes report? [Japanese]

Not sure what the translation on this report is from Nikkan Sports but I suppose it is more fuel on the fire whether Gomi will be headed to K-1 heroes.

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Thu 2 Aug 12:38]

Catalyst
281th Post

Copper Customer

"Rankings" , posted Sat 11 Aug 15:02post reply

Hey Gekiganger whats your thoughts on rankings in MMA with the way the sport fluctuates from winner to loser in an instant? Usually in some cases it easy for any fan to armchair and say a winner will be such and such dominant fighter though in some cases shocking defeats like Gongaza vs Crocop via head kick change all that.

Just recently Sherdog just put up Rankings [ scroll through different pages or menu at top ]

I was curious what would be your thoughts on them! I think it is pretty interesting line up, I think the light heavyweight class is hard to place on whose who and the welterweight and lightweight division. Very competitive divisions at the time being.

GekigangerV
1406th Post

"Re(1):Rankings" , posted Mon 13 Aug 08:34post reply

quote:
Hey Gekiganger whats your thoughts on rankings in MMA with the way the sport fluctuates from winner to loser in an instant? Usually in some cases it easy for any fan to armchair and say a winner will be such and such dominant fighter though in some cases shocking defeats like Gongaza vs Crocop via head kick change all that.

Just recently Sherdog just put up Rankings [ scroll through different pages or menu at top ]

I was curious what would be your thoughts on them! I think it is pretty interesting line up, I think the light heavyweight class is hard to place on whose who and the welterweight and lightweight division. Very competitive divisions at the time being.

MMA rankings are very difficult things to do since the organizations that run them are private business as oppose to sanctioning bodies like boxing's WBC, WBA, etc.

Sherdog's looks interesting. Heavyweight seems a little off since I think that Josh Barnett should be top 5. Gozanga should definitely be top 10 though after his victory over Crocop(which had me depressed that whole weekend).

Lightheavy seems about right.

Middle seems to be a bit weird. Frank Trigg? I think Kang should be higher up as well.

Welterweight . . . I guess since Serra is the champ he should be number 1 . . . . Karo should be moved up to top 5 though. Although I'm not a fan of Koscheck, he deserves to be ranked above Sanchez since he did beat him in that "fight."

Lightweight is a bit hard to follow now.

Catalyst
283th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Rankings" , posted Tue 14 Aug 09:21post reply

quote:

MMA rankings are very difficult things to do since the organizations that run them are private business as oppose to sanctioning bodies like boxing's WBC, WBA, etc.

Sherdog's looks interesting. Heavyweight seems a little off since I think that Josh Barnett should be top 5. Gozanga should definitely be top 10 though after his victory over Crocop(which had me depressed that whole weekend).

Lightheavy seems about right.

Middle seems to be a bit weird. Frank Trigg? I think Kang should be higher up as well.

Welterweight . . . I guess since Serra is the champ he should be number 1 . . . . Karo should be moved up to top 5 though. Although I'm not a fan of Koscheck, he deserves to be ranked above Sanchez since he did beat him in that "fight."

Lightweight is a bit hard to follow now.

I definitely agree that with the different business like Strikeforce, Elite XC, UFC, whichever it is pretty hard to determine who is the creame of the crop since every organization declares that their belt is for the "World" title instead of an organization.

Josh Barnett is up there he is number 5 within the top 5. I felt the same way you did when Crocop got head kicked by Gonzaga. Awfully depressing. Hopefully his return against Chieck Kongo will be a powerhouse since there both stand up fighters. That and with his training partners being with Remy Bonjasky and Gilbert Yivel from K-1 to further push him in his striking, I think were going to see one different Crocop. I believe Ricco Rodriguez is on that list also to help Crocop with his ground skills.

Frank Trigg for the middleweights is reasonably up there due to his defeats of Kazuo Misaki the welterweight grand prix champ who also defeated Dan Henderson at the time. I have to say I'm a bit suprised Denis Kang is placed so low to, he's a great fighter as well.

Welterweight I'm a bit confused as with Lightweight. Takanori Gomi's spot as world lightweight should be that competitively in the UFC welterweight division since Pride had to make the cap at 160 seeing he cuts down from 180 pounds I believe. Really he should be in the welterweight division as it kinda puts things south in my honest opinion.

GekigangerV
1409th Post

"News and predictions" , posted Fri 24 Aug 01:32post reply

Wanderlei officially with UFC

This news has been up for a few days. They will probably show him off this Saturday. I wonder if they will announce his first fight then too.

Lesnar wants title shot

Son of a Bitch! Lesnar thinks he's a badass because he beat ONE nobody. The potential for a large ppv buy is pretty big since Lesnar was a big name in the WWF. However if he gets a title shot within his first 5 matches, I will be pissed. He should work his way up and probably go against Barnett along the way since they are both pro-wrestlers.

I want to Lesnar go down hard. He was handed the greatest pro-wrestling career of this era, but gave it all up to fail as a NFL player now he has this attitude that he is better than everybody.

Well onto my UFC predictions for the main card.

Cote vs Grove
Cote is getting better but Grove simply outclasses him.

Stevenson vs Pelligro
Stevenson by decision or late round TKO

Huerta vs Crane
I only know more about Huerta and I say he'll provide an exciting match.

St. Pierre vs Koscheck
Koscheck ain't special or worthy of contender ship. I hope GSP dominates in the first round. However, if Koscheck goes back to his strategy of take down and lay on top then he may be able to get a decision. People like him are what Don Frye was talking about when he said UFC had fighters who did not care about winning, but only cared about not losing.

Gonzaga vs Couture
I say this will prove that Gonzaga will either be a one hit wonder or he will be a defining champion. Couture picked Gonzaga to beat Crocop for some reason so I bet he has a good plan on how to beat Gonzaga. I say Couture by UD since he seems to be training pretty hard. He has been training with Wanderlei so that gives him some points in my book.

Catalyst
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):News and predictions" , posted Fri 24 Aug 10:22:post reply

quote:
Wanderlei officially with UFC

This news has been up for a few days. They will probably show him off this Saturday. I wonder if they will announce his first fight then too.

Lesnar wants title shot

Son of a Bitch! Lesnar thinks he's a badass because he beat ONE nobody. The potential for a large ppv buy is pretty big since Lesnar was a big name in the WWF. However if he gets a title shot within his first 5 matches, I will be pissed. He should work his way up and probably go against Barnett along the way since they are both pro-wrestlers.

I want to Lesnar go down hard. He was handed the greatest pro-wrestling career of this era, but gave it all up to fail as a NFL player now he has this attitude that he is better than everybody.

Well onto my UFC predictions for the main card.

Cote vs Grove
Cote is getting better but Grove simply outclasses him.

Stevenson vs Pelligro
Stevenson by decision or late round TKO

Huerta vs Crane
I only know more about Huerta and I say he'll provide an exciting match.

St. Pierre vs Koscheck
Koscheck ain't special or worthy of contender ship. I hope GSP dominates in the first round. However, if Koscheck goes back to his strategy of take down and lay on top then he may be able to get a decision. People like him are what Don Frye was talking about when he said UFC had fighters who did not care about winning, but only cared about not losing.

Gonzaga vs Couture
I say this will prove that Gonzaga will either be a one hit wonder or he will be a defining champion. Couture picked Gonzaga to beat Crocop for some reason so I bet he has a good plan on how to beat Gonzaga. I say Couture by UD since he seems to be training pretty hard. He has been training with Wanderlei so that gives him some points in my book.

Come onnnnn Lidell and Silva end of this year comeee onnnn!! *crossing fingers* The expressions Dana give are hilarious, never have I've seen him that excited before. I could only imagine when Fedor signs.

*High freaking Five*. Lesnar is no pushover however he trains at Sean Sherk's Minnesota training center and has a high prestigious NCAA background. He does have incredible work ethic I will give him that, looking back at an old WWE training segment of himself, but I heavily do agree though he needs to work up to establish himself. The third person bit is quite annoying and whose this "many" people he is talking about? Sit and wait in line or personally feed him to the lions. I don't think he can hang just yet.

So far our predictions are actually quite the same! I don't have an opinion on Huerta vs Crane, I haven't been keeping up with either two of them honestly. I will say though about Koscheck and GSP, I would strangely find it odd if he pulls the Diego fight and strangely win. Not that i'm supporting him don't get me wrong I just don't like Koscheck. But of course that won't happen for long since GSP loves to push the tempo on his opponents with his go fast go hard or go home controlling everything in his way. The words are right out of my mouth for Randy vs Gongaza. Though I believe I want to say TKO finish maybe since this is Gongaza's first 5 rounder, and not much is known on behalf of his training regimen and if he is ready to go the distance. Now on a fan based look on things, I think every Crocop supporter wants Randy to win for the Gongaza upset lol.

Time for one hell of a Saturday night.

Edit on topic related to martial arts towards Gekiganger or anyone: You watch that show on the history channel Human weapon? Pretty interesting show.

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Fri 24 Aug 10:28]

Catalyst
288th Post

Copper Customer

"UFC Response to Brock Lesnar" , posted Sat 25 Aug 00:15post reply

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=4636

PAGING MR. LESNAR

2000 NCAA heavyweight champion and former WWE pro wrestler Brock Lesnar is on the UFC’s radar, Dana White confirmed today. Lesnar made his successful MMA debut at June 2’s “Dynamite!! USA” in Los Angeles, Calif., submitting South Korean Min Soo Kim with strikes in under two minutes. Lesnar is expected to attend Saturday night’s UFC 74 event.

“I’m very interested in Brock Lesnar,” said White. “I tried to talk to those guys a couple of years ago and they were on another planet at that time. After fighting in the sh--y show he fought in last time, maybe they’re back down here on Earth and we can talk Saturday night.”

UFC Heavyweight Champion Randy Couture voiced his approval of a potential match-up as well.

“I’d love the opportunity to fight Brock,” said the 44-year-old legend. “He’s a big strong guy, has a wrestling background. I’m familiar with his collegiate career.I don’t really follow pro wrestling, so I don’t know what he’s really done in there, not that I think it really matters. It would be an interesting fight.

Man that's great gotta love Randy and especially Dana for their all out honesty

nobinobita
145th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):UFC Response to Brock Lesnar" , posted Sat 25 Aug 03:28post reply

quote:

I don’t really follow pro wrestling, so I don’t know what he’s really done in there, not that I think it really matters. It would be an interesting fight.

Boy i'd love to see Randy put Brock in his place. At the same time, I think Brock's pro wrestling career will benefit him in that it's given him the proper conditioning for fighting. Sure wrestling's fake, but the physical requisites for it are very similar to MMO. You gotta be a big strong dude, but also have to be agile and have really really good endurance.

But anyway, i would love to see Randy prove that brains are much more important than brawn in MMO.

GekigangerV
1413th Post

"Respect thoughts" , posted Sun 26 Aug 14:28post reply

Except for Grove and Cote I wasn't surprised by who won each match.

They need to find out if Sean Sherk is guilty or innocent of steroids so that either Stevenson or Huerta can get a title shot.

I can't believe TWO judges scored the fight 29-28 in the GSP/Koscheck fight. One judge I might have understood, but while the first round was rather close it was obvious GSP dominated. Koscheck's hand speed has gotten a bit better, but he was only throwing that one-two and it wasn't getting him anything.

I was surprised that Couture dominated Gonzaga as easily as he did and was able to pick him up. The cut on the nose definitely sealed Gonzaga's fate. I am surprised someone of Gonzaga's build could throw a high kick as fast as he did, but he went to that well too many times.

I wonder who is next in line for a heavyweight title shot. I can only think of Noguiera, even though he didn't look that impressive in his UFC debut match.

Catalyst
289th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Respect thoughts" , posted Mon 27 Aug 08:53post reply

I missed a majority of the fights and was able to see the third round of Stevenson and beyond due to a family friend engagement. Wish I could of seen that whole Stevenson fight because it looked great the end.

GSP and Koscheck, gotta love. Just gotta love it. Hand speed in my opinion isn't an equivalent for "better" boxing. It is like he is swinging for the fences in his shot. It is great that he is sticking the jab but personally I think his step is too big, he has the opportunity of making a great reach with his jab. Alas the overhand right he had going wasn't much for that matter too. He still needs better work on his technique. I just love the pre-fight shit talk. "George? Beat me in wrestling?" HA. He only had probably only one take down secured in that entire fight while the rest were just stuffed GSP doing the takedowns along with controlling positioning. To add fuel to the fire he doesn't even have a decorated background such as Koscheck. That one should of been an Unanimous decision but not to take away anything from Koscheck but he did the correct measures in defending that Kimura and gaining first round positioning he was in. George used every tool in his arsenal and simply beat Koscheck at his own game.

Randy Coture, simply just amazing. Funny thing for me watching Randy come out with the trucker hat and the music gave off a bit of a Terry Bogard vibe there! Just what I expected for a TKO ground and pound finish. Gabe isn't much of a surprise for head kicks and people his size. It is applicable with lots of practice, dynamic, and static stretching but it is a high risk maneuver with risk involved. Check out Ben Rothwell from the IFL, just as big and can kick high. If Gabe would of followed through with that kick instead of sticking it more damage could have been done. Randy did a beautiful job with the dirty boxing, double underhooks then break, swarm them with a few hits, double under hooks again to close the gap and prevent any counters from occurring and wear Gabe down physically. Perfectly played right into his own pocket.

GekigangerV
1419th Post

"Dana White beef with Barnett" , posted Tue 4 Sep 16:14post reply

Link Here

I can't believe it. Top 5 heavyweight in the world and 'nobody cares about him'

Apparently White has something against Denis Kang who he didn't think was a big name or rising star.

Dana White says shit just to say shit and it is very annoying.

Catalyst
293th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Dana White beef with Barnett" , posted Wed 5 Sep 13:57:post reply

quote:
Link Here

I can't believe it. Top 5 heavyweight in the world and 'nobody cares about him'

Apparently White has something against Denis Kang who he didn't think was a big name or rising star.

Dana White says shit just to say shit and it is very annoying.

Along with the UFC 74 post fight comments and this part of me thinks that Josh Barnett should of carried himself in a professional manner or for that matter taken such a simple statement of Dana White so personally seeing how fast word gets around quickly. It is just hype that will happen from the promoter IE Dana White himself.

THOUGH what annoys me is the failure to recognize his position as a fighter. Sure he has been beat by Crocop multiple times but by no means is Josh Barnett a wash up. I really think he would do wonders in taking a notch further for marketing since Josh is such a personable person.

I'm a bit perplexed with Kang as well, that guy fought his heart out in that grand prix. Not sure what the reasoning is there I'm sure let him in for a contract and rebuild him again and I honestly think that he will quickly make a big fan base.

In any case, least we get babalu back. Once he cleans himself up. Though watching the fight over and over it really didn't look that bad, steve mazagatti did a shitty job breaking it up. Yet I will agree with Dana White that discipline has to be made to keep a clean image and legitimize the sport. Though... looking at the previews for the ultimate fighter with serra and hughes, ugh where do they get these people?

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Wed 5 Sep 14:01]

GekigangerV
1423th Post

"75 Predictions" , posted Sat 8 Sep 11:54:post reply

Bisping/Hamill

I think Bisping will win, but if Hamill gets in close and does some dirty boxing and roughs him up Couture style then he might get the victory.

Crocop/Kongo

Please come back strong Crocop.

Jackson/Henderson

I think this fight can go either way and the one who will lose will be the first person to mess up.

However, I think Henderson has the higher probability of making a mistake since he likes to throw wild punches and Rampage's striking has become a bit more precise. I kind of hate for either of these guys to lose since I am fans of both, but history has to be made.

I am going to try and avoid the internet tomorrow to avoid spoilers.

Also there has been some news floating around that Fedor has not signed a contract with UFC, but will be at 75 and is now promoting Affliction shirts.

I think there is the chance that he has signed with UFC and Dana White is denying stuff as usual to try and "surprise" us. I can understand wanting to keep a surprise, but the flat out denial followed shortly by a confirmation has been White's style for a while. If anything THIS was the reason "no comment" was invented. If White started using "no comment" I wouldn't know what to believe.

There is also news, I can't remember where I read it though, that Yoshida has signed with the UFC.

If that is true I don't see him doing too much. Plus Yoshida minus the gi wouldn't seem like Yoshida to me.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sat 8 Sep 11:55]

Catalyst
294th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):75 Predictions" , posted Sat 8 Sep 16:32post reply

quote:
Bisping/Hamill

I think Bisping will win, but if Hamill gets in close and does some dirty boxing and roughs him up Couture style then he might get the victory.

Crocop/Kongo

Please come back strong Crocop.

Jackson/Henderson

I think this fight can go either way and the one who will lose will be the first person to mess up.

However, I think Henderson has the higher probability of making a mistake since he likes to throw wild punches and Rampage's striking has become a bit more precise. I kind of hate for either of these guys to lose since I am fans of both, but history has to be made.

I am going to try and avoid the internet tomorrow to avoid spoilers.

Also there has been some news floating around that Fedor has not signed a contract with UFC, but will be at 75 and is now promoting Affliction shirts.

I think there is the chance that he has signed with UFC and Dana White is denying stuff as usual to try and "surprise" us. I can understand wanting to keep a surprise, but the flat out denial followed shortly by a confirmation has been White's style for a while. If anything THIS was the reason "no comment" was invented. If White started using "no comment" I wouldn't know what to believe.

There is also news, I can't remember where I read it though, that Yoshida has signed with the UFC.

If that is true I don't see him doing too much. Plus Yoshida minus the gi wouldn't seem like Yoshida to me.

For bisping and Hamil I'd need to sit down and watch a few more tapes of them to make a conclusive decision. However I thought he did very well against Elvis Sinosonic [sp?]

I'm really gonna go out on a limb here heavily and have Crocop in this favor. Seeing this is possibly going to be a slug fest, without any attempt at a ground work in this match, having Remy Bojansky in your cornor and Gilbert Yvel says alot. Though I won't say Crocop will get by easily. He still has his hands, he just gotta put those punches in bunches and set it up with a strong kick and we got ourselves a crocop.

Hendo and Rampage. I've been thinking about this all week and I'm stuck at the same conclusion. I honestly don't know. Both are strong respectively in their grappling backgrounds. An advantage lays with Hendo seeing he is a greco roman specialist and the clinch is where Jackson is usually beaten via Wanderlei twice in two matches. Striking wise, I can't remember which boxer Rampage was training with but I believe it was "Sugar" Ray Lenord. As for Hendo he improved drastically with his hand speed and strength in just a short amount of time.

Personally on this match I'm left at a no comment. There is a slight favor weight wise for Jackson seeing this is his natural weight class but hmm, I don't know what to say on this one.

nobinobita
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):75 Predictions" , posted Sat 8 Sep 23:24post reply

quote:

Personally on this match I'm left at a no comment. There is a slight favor weight wise for Jackson seeing this is his natural weight class but hmm, I don't know what to say on this one.

I'm pretty sure Hendo is going to be the victor. Just by his track record, I think he's one of the best fighters the sport has ever seen. I mean, he recently beat Silva! The man that KOed Quinton twice in the past.

Granted, Silva's kinda on his way out now, but Dan also gave Silva the best fight he had back in the glory days of Pride when Silva was on his incredible winning streak.

Then again, you never really know how things will go in MMA. Just because one Pokemon is strong against another, doesn't mean it won't be weak against a different one.

Anyhow, I wish this fight were put off a little longer cos I think both those guys are awesome and deserve to be in the spotlight. I think they're also pretty good friends right?

Catalyst
296th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):75 Predictions" , posted Sun 9 Sep 00:31:post reply

I believe they are acquaintances but well respect each other and have trained on numerous occasions.
This is the match I've been waiting for other than the fact that it is labeled as who will be undisputed, personally I'm just curious how it will be handled with the few amount of pride fighters in the UFC such as Marcus Aurelio, Wandy, and so forth.

edit: to my knowledge I believe it is going to go 5 rounds? 5 mins each, regardless of the last person standing I think this fight goes to decision. I think were going to be treated tonight

quote:

Reaaaaly, hm this is going to be very interesting with the no gi aspect. He will be quite different without the gi but either way Judo basics are great and very helpful to any MMA participant. Personally I'd like to see a Judo match with him and Parisyan but of course two different classes.

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Sun 9 Sep 00:34]

nobinobita
153th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):75 Predictions" , posted Sun 9 Sep 00:51post reply

OH MY GOD! I just realised... THE FIGHT'S TONIGHT!!!

Haha, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I would have totally missed this if I hadn't logged on here. Youtube has pretty much replaced television for me, so thanks for pointing something out that's really worth catching live.

Man, is it weird that watching TV is now a nostalgic act?

Catalyst
297th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):75 Predictions" , posted Sun 9 Sep 03:27:post reply

quote:
OH MY GOD! I just realised... THE FIGHT'S TONIGHT!!!

Haha, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I would have totally missed this if I hadn't logged on here. Youtube has pretty much replaced television for me, so thanks for pointing something out that's really worth catching live.

Man, is it weird that watching TV is now a nostalgic act?

Makes you feel better I honestly don't watch at all. Even then I still don't have cable tv. I just watch it for news or something interesting on public television, I used to watch it a lot when I was a smaller but I got sick of it.

Maybe I got smarter or dumber or something but it got annoying real fast. I just keep watching the simpsons on occasion or family guy. Unless something catches my eye then sounds great! Nothing wrong with youtube at all, I just like it cause you can find a lot of stuff on there before it gets taken down.

Enjoy the fight!

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Sun 9 Sep 03:28]

GekigangerV
1423th Post

"75 Results Spoilers" , posted Sun 9 Sep 16:05post reply

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

Alexander/Sakara

Pretty good fight, I wonder how far Alexander will go with a pretty stacked division

Davis/Taylor

A very impressive recovery by Davis. That fight could have ended a lot earlier going the other way.

CroCop/Kongo

I am disappointed, but I started to see it at the end of round 1. Even though Crocop won round one you could see that Crocop was frustrated. If he pushed the fight like he did in round one he could have gotten one more round and gotten the decision.

This may sound like bitching, but I think Kongo should have gotten a point deducted for the two low blows in Round 3 since Big John had warned him between rounds 2 and 3 and he was willing to take a point away quickly with Rashad/Ortiz.

Even with a draw in that fight, Crocop performed poorly. I wonder if he is still top ten.

Bisping/Hamill

Round one was obviously Hamill and rounds 2 and 3 were CLOSE. If MMA allowed for 10/10 rounds, round 2 or 3 could of them would have been 10/10.

However, I have come to accept that even in a close round that UFC scoring system usually gives advantage to whoever gets the takedowns, which were in Hamill's favor.

IMO, Hamill won that fight.

Jackson/Henderson

Very nice, technical match. Not much more to say about it.

I hope Henderson sticks around 205 as a rematch would be great. However, there is still the possibility that he could unify his 185 title.

Hopefully Jackson sticks at the top, but I don't know with Shogun coming in.

Whoever this Juanito guy is, he is a great trainer as he trained, Kongo, Bisping and Jackson.

Commercials were kicking my ass this event.

End of Spoiler

Catalyst
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):75 Results Spoilers" , posted Mon 10 Sep 13:10:post reply

I seriously need to get cable one of these days instead of rushing to get to the bar. Atleast the shots drowned out the trouble for asking the results on the Mirko Kongo fight. I only made it to the main event but, I gotta say that was a very technical match and it was a very nice 5 rounder. So i'm confused now.. what is happening to the pride belt?

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Mon 10 Sep 13:12]

GekigangerV
1427th Post

"76 Results Spoilers" , posted Sun 23 Sep 14:20:post reply

Pretty good card, with a couple of huge upsets.

I thought Thiago won against Tyson. It was close, but Thiago was more active on the ground and tried to go for more submission attempts to finish the fight.

The same for Sanchez and Fitch. Sanchez was the aggressor who was doing most of the work in rounds 2 and 3. It was pretty ballsy of Rogan to mention the broken 10 point must system.

Machida and Nakamura was the only fight I predicted right. Hopefully we see more of Machida on televised fights.

Shogun/Griffin. What the hell was Shogun thinking by going for the take down over and over. I am surprised he didn't try to work in the Thai clinch or something. Impressive ground game by Griffon though. He has probably shot himself to top 5 at 205.

Liddell/Jardine was a weird fight. I would have thought Liddell would have been able to find a couple of good punches in Jardine's wild style. Jardine came in with a good game plan though. His Chin was tucked in so tight you would have thought it was glued to his chest. It would appear that the way to beat Liddell is to throw good combinations. Its the way Jackson beat Liddell the first time and would lead me to think that Wanderlei would beat Liddell definitively.

*edit* who was the jackass judge who thought Liddell won? I had it 30-27 Jardine. Although round one was a bit back and forth, Jardine was the aggressor.

Which brings up the question on who the hell will fight Silva now? Jardine? Griffon?

Which leads to another point on who is the number one contender for the 205 title. Shogun would have been if he won, but he lost. Silva/Liddell might have determined it as well.

This event really shook up the number one contender rankings for the 205 division.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sun 23 Sep 14:25]

Catalyst
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):76 Results Spoilers" , posted Sun 23 Sep 15:13:post reply

Gotta say this has to be the year of the upsets. No other word to it. Great job for the winners though, this UFC I missed completely but read play by plays. I'd like to sit down and analyze completely the fights one by one if anything was missed.

My guess though...

I think we are going to see Lidell and Shogun? That is a high possibility in my personal opinion. Despite Chuck coming off another loss, I wouldn't see the UFC getting rid of him completely and quickly.

To be honest seeing Pride's Chute Boxe revenge matches we could see a Griffin vs Wanderlei Main event in the horizon at the end of this year for Shogun's revenge. Though I won't mind seeing a Wanderlei Jardine either that will be something of two matches two wild toe to toe fights. Personally I think Forrest just got shot up tenfold and it would be him next in line for title contention if UFC counts whats going on in my opinion.

Edit: Part 2 I just completely remember that we still have Houston Alexander. It would be unfair to pass him up completely. In all honesty we have a few matches up already criscrossing each other.

Another though: Watching some highlights of last nights UFC, as erroneous as this statement maybe it has lead me to think that fighting in pride for the first round 10 minutes leads me to believe that pacing in an aerobic manner comes to question as opposed to UFC's 5 minute rounds anerobically. Then again grappling is a huge factor as well or in case of stalling within Pride seeing it can be either high levels of anerobic intensity.

Point being, looking at a number of pride fighters who have recently lossed and been gassing leads me to question this. Though I would like to know whether or not the steroid bit was true. I can believe Jackson saying that he was asked to throw a match seeing he is never shy to talk but the steroids part i'd like to know of.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Mon 24 Sep 00:39]

Catalyst
312th Post

Bronze Customer

"Shogun possibly next in line with Lidell" , posted Tue 25 Sep 05:37post reply

Based on what Hackleman, Chuck's coach, is stating the next fight they will request in December is Shogun. Let's hope both one of the two or both will be wanting to fight each other bad enough to redeem themselves.

What’s happening in the world of mixed martial arts now …

By Loretta Hunt (loretta@thefightnetwork.com)
Photo Courtesy of UFC.com

If Chuck Liddell is contemplating retirement, his trainer and closest confidante John Hackleman is the last to hear about it.

“He’s already said he’ll be back in the gym next Monday,” said Hackleman, who has coached Liddell for 16 years. “He’s going to fight again, hopefully as soon as possible, maybe in December. We’re looking at ‘Shogun.’”

Along with Liddell, Mauricio “Shogun” Rua was among the casualties at Saturday night’s at UFC 76 “Knockout” at the Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. Rua, largely considered one of the top three light heavyweights in the world, was systematically dismantled by Forrest Griffin, succumbing to exhaustion and a rear-naked choke in the third round’s final seconds. With Griffin not even ranked in the top ten, the loss was considered a sizable upset, only matched by former light heavyweight champion Liddell’s defeat to Keith Jardine via a split decision a few moments later.

Liddell’s second consecutive loss successfully derailed a New Year’s Eve collision with former PRIDE light heavyweight champion Wanderlei Silva, who sat cageside shaking his head following Saturday’s results. The pairing of Silva and Liddell has been long sought-after by UFC president Dana White.

Popular San Luis Obispo trainer Hackleman says his camp had already been alerted that a match-up with the Brazilian Chute Boxe member could be on the horizon. In response, Hackleman approached both White and UFC matchmaker Joe Silva Saturday night to make it known Liddell’s team was favorable to the bout, which could take place as early as Dec. 29’s UFC 79 in Las Vegas, Nev.

“Chuck will face anyone they put in front of him,” says Hackleman. Due to their formidable records, a bout between Liddell and Rua would catapult either fighter back into title contention.

Speculation of Liddell’s retirement surfaced Saturday following a routine post-fight press conference where the 37-year-old deferred comments regarding his next career move and intonated he would have to mull things over.

“You’re dealing with a guy that just lost a fight, is totally depressed right after a humungous loss,” says Hackleman, who was not present at the press conference. “Of course, he’s disappointed. We didn’t get into details about the fight, especially after a loss, because that’s not the time you want to talk about it. We usually talk about it when we get back in the gym.”

Hackleman has his theories as to what went wrong for his prized student in the cage he dominated for four years till his defeat at the hands of Quinton "Rampage" Jackson last May at UFC 71.

“I think things went wrong with Keith Jardine. Keith Jardine came out and fought like a freakin’ killer," says Hackleman. "Chuck just couldn’t pull the trigger in time and was just a hair off and Jardine’s timing was perfect.”

Source: http://thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=4933

Catalyst
317th Post

Bronze Customer

"Gekiganger Tell me this is not going down..." , posted Thu 11 Oct 09:56post reply

http://www.thefightnetwork.com/news_detail.php?nid=5076

PRIDE Heavyweight Champion To Headline First Show Under New Ownership

By Loretta Hunt (loretta@thefightnetwork.com)

PRIDE heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko has committed exclusively to the new ownership of M-1 Mix-Fight Championship, which has been purchased outright by an undisclosed American entertainment-related company, according to a source close to the deal who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Established in 1997, the St. Petersburg-based M-1 held over 30 events under the ownership of Russian businessman Vadim Finkelstein, also the long-time manager of the much-sought-after Emelianenko. Finkelstein is also the proprietor of the Red Devil Sports Club, a facility and team that houses numerous Russian fighters, including PRIDE veteran Roman Zentsov and former UFC middleweight Andrei Semenov.

The source confirmed the new ownership has infused a substantial amount of capital into the organization. Finkelstein and others will stay on to assist in running the company, which will continue to promote under a variation of the M-1 name. The new M-1 will take more of a global stance, and Emelianenko (26-1) will headline its inaugural event as early as January or February, possibly in the U.S., the source said.
On March 27, Ultimate Fighting Championship majority owners Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta bought the assets of PRIDE, only to discover Emelianenko had previously signed a non-exclusive, non-transferable contract with its former owners, Dream Stage Entertainment.

As late as September, UFC president Dana White had insisted a deal with Emelianenko was imminent, though repeated negotiations between Finkelstein, colleague Apy Echteld and the Las Vegas outlet could not produce an agreement to bring the Stary Oskol resident to the famed Octagon. A major point of contention was White’s insistence Emelianenko sign an exclusive contract with the American promotion, which would exclude Emelianenko’s participation in Sambo competitions. Emelianenko is a three-time World Combat Sambo champion and ambassador for the sport in his homeland.

Undefeated in 24 fights (including one no contest), Emelianenko is widely received as the world’s top pound-for-pound fighter. The 31-year-old former Army firefighter rose to the top of PRIDE’s ranks by besting standouts like Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (30-4-1) and Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic (22-6-2). Emelianenko submitted 2000 Olympic Greco-Roman silver medallist Matt Lindland (20-5) at Bodog Fight “Clash of the Nations” on April 14 in St. Petersburg, Russia. He has not competed since.

A formal announcement of the purchase, as well as plans for the new organization’s first event, is expected by the end of this month.

POSTED -- 10/10/07

Dude tell me i'm wrong or somethin man I couldn't possibly be reading this.

GekigangerV
1433th Post

"Re(1):Gekiganger Tell me this is not going do" , posted Thu 11 Oct 10:47:post reply

quote:

Bad news

Shit, unless Barnett also goes there, then Fedor will have no real competition and the Coutoure / Fedor dream fight will never happen.

I wonder what that undisclosed American company is though. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head are HD Fights and WWE. If it was WWE I am sure we could hear news about it right now since there are people leaking stuff all over there.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Thu 11 Oct 10:56]

Catalyst
321th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Gekiganger Tell me this is not going do" , posted Thu 11 Oct 11:18:post reply

quote:

Bad news

Shit, unless Barnett also goes there, then Fedor will have no real competition and the Coutoure / Fedor dream fight will never happen.

I wonder what that undisclosed American company is though. The only thing I can think of off the top of my head are HD Fights and WWE. If it was WWE I am sure we could hear news about it right now since there are people leaking stuff all over there.

That's what I was thinking also. I can't remember but Mark Cuban is with the WWE project to make the mma fighting competition correct? Other than Mark Cuban only person I can think of is the guy who owns Bodog. Calvin Ayre, that is one rich dude.

edit: my mistake couldn't be Calvin Ayre because his operations are out of country. Whoops my mistake. You think all signs are pointing to Mark Cuban? I got a bad feeling it is him, just to spite Dana white.

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Thu 11 Oct 11:29]

GekigangerV
1434th Post

"Randy quits the UFC" , posted Fri 12 Oct 06:09post reply

Link Here

Apparently he really wanted to fight Fedor. If he signs with M1 that would REALLY help them get off the ground.

Catalyst
324th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Randy quits the UFC" , posted Fri 12 Oct 08:14:post reply

quote:
Link Here

Apparently he really wanted to fight Fedor. If he signs with M1 that would REALLY help them get off the ground.

So what's your thoughts on this? Gotta say that this has been the weirdest year in MMA.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=9455

more commentary from Randy and his position and feelings towards the UFC management.

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Fri 12 Oct 08:18]

nobinobita
165th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Randy quits the UFC" , posted Sat 13 Oct 03:52post reply

quote:
Link Here

Man that's true Shonen style spirit Randy is showing, searching the world for the strongest opponents. Win or lose I'm sure he and Fedor will eventually become great friends.

GekigangerV
1435th Post

"Re(2):Randy quits the UFC" , posted Sun 14 Oct 07:01post reply

Couture talks about the fight

Article about Couture leaving

Interesting quote from Randy about Dana

quote:
"He(Dana White) doesn't respect anybody unless he controls them," said Couture. "Disrespecting my agent Matt is insulting to me because it says I'm not intelligent enough to make a decision on my own or surround myself with quality people. It's all about respect, something they've never given me or anyone representing me."

A lot of respect for Couture for going after the last big fight of his life. If it happens, win or lose you HAVE to respect him.

GekigangerV
1441th Post

"UFC figures & 77 predictions" , posted Fri 19 Oct 12:54post reply

From Fwoosh

I like the Rampage figure, but that's about it. I hope they are 8-10 inches tall to justify the $17 price tag.

Now on to 77 predictions. I know it is pretty risky to make predictions recently, but what the hell.

Anderson of Franklin by the end of the second round.

Vera over Sylvia by decision. I say decision because I think Sylvia will try to find a way "not to lose."

Okami over MacDonald. MacDonald said he will try to set the pace early on which is what you need to do to Okami since he is a slow starter, but if Franklin couldn't finish him I don't see MacDonald doing it.

Catalyst
324th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):UFC figures & 77 predictions" , posted Sat 20 Oct 14:16post reply

quote:
From Fwoosh

I like the Rampage figure, but that's about it. I hope they are 8-10 inches tall to justify the $17 price tag.

Now on to 77 predictions. I know it is pretty risky to make predictions recently, but what the hell.

Anderson of Franklin by the end of the second round.

Vera over Sylvia by decision. I say decision because I think Sylvia will try to find a way "not to lose."

Okami over MacDonald. MacDonald said he will try to set the pace early on which is what you need to do to Okami since he is a slow starter, but if Franklin couldn't finish him I don't see MacDonald doing it.

Man I'd love to have an action figure of myself one day if I ever can put both my feet down about wanting to fight professionally lol. Too bad the UFC doesn't have a featherweight division unless you look to WEC or Shooto or K-1. Either way Sweet figures!

Part of me says Rich has something to prove and the dismantling of his first fight might be on him with all the additional pressure he has from being in his home town. Personally I honestly think the aggressive rich is going to be out. But even he says himself that his form is not usually the greatest when striking in practice. I don't know how he says about his skills in accordance to ground skills but I hope he doesn't say that either way just enough for Anderson to exploit him and look for the fastest and simplest mistake. Rich does have a puncher's chance though not to take anything away from him. Silva just has to slip up.

Anderson round 1 by KO,

Vera or Sylvia in my opinion can go either way. Both fighters in my opinion are just fine well excusing Sylvia's tactics of course and his right straight. I don't wanna call this one, this one I'd like to sit, analyze, and watch.

No call, but going to decision.

Okami and Mcdonald. Okami all the way with you on that Geki. Mcdonald just wants to keep pressing and pressing Okami. Personally, I'm not in the head of these fighters but I think the pressure got to him when he was fighting Rich Franklin. I'm not sure what the odds were but it was a pretty reasonable set of odds for Either Okami or Franklin to be the winner of their fight.

Okami TKO Ground and pound.

GekigangerV
1444th Post

"77 results" , posted Sun 21 Oct 14:38:post reply

Alan Belcher and Kalib Starnes

Damn, that cut was nasty

Stephan Bonnar and. Eric Schafer

Pretty good match

Alvin Robinson and Jorge Gurgel

I can't believe Gurgel's defense was so bad on bottom. At Least Robinson had good wrist control when he was on the bottom. Gurgel's constant attempt at armbars were almost laughable.

Tim Sylvia and Brandon Vera

Sucks about Vera's hand being broken early on. The size advantage of Sylvia played a big part as he had Vera pinned against the cage for most of that fight. Nice hand speed by Big Tim too as he was throwing those one-twos rather well. I am surprised Vera didn't get the point deduction for the knee to the head. I think that is a serious enough foul to not need a warning. Though I can understand being confused by Tim's size and thinking he was already off his knees, but a fighter should be aware of that kind of stuff.

Anderson Silva and Rich Franklin

Would have been a round one KO if it went 3 more seconds. Unless Henderson drops down, Kang comes to UFC for Filho comes from WEC, there isn't really anyone I can see taking Silva even to round 3. Henderson has the chin that might stand up to Silva's punches.

*edit*

Anderson Silva for Street Fighter 4. Every attack is shun goku satsu damage.

Okami and MacDonald

Apparently went to decision. I can imagine how the match went. BS that is wasn't aired. I think Okami might be the next challenger for Silva.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sun 21 Oct 14:39]

Catalyst
327th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):77 results" , posted Sun 21 Oct 15:09:post reply

My fight of the night began with Bonnar and catching the end of the previous fight before no comment on the previous match.

I didn't know that Bonnar was fighting tonight but great job on his win. Nothing much to be said on this one.

Gurgel, I had him favored winning this one. I honestly think the gas tank wasn't that there. Right at the end of the first round his breathing was heavy after the constant switching and positioning. Great job on both of them for that though bad for Gurgel to allow Robinson to posture up and fire away. He really tried looking to sink in an armbar constantly with an open guard then it got bad to the point where he couldn't hold it.

Vera, honestly I thought he was doing fine personally? He has a broken hand to me I honestly shouldn't be saying "so what" but your a fighter it is what you came to do. Fedor fought Crocop with a broken hand and still took it home. Should I say that it sucks to have a hand broken, yes it does suck, but I mean really go for broke. I honestly thought if he pressed it more just like Tim Sylvia he would have been just fine. The weight was such a big factor but I watched as Vera got caught twice with two right straights I thought he still had it in him just wasn't letting his hands fly enough. Beautiful left though at the close of the first round.

I thought though he did get points taken off the knee to the head to Sylvia? I thought Vera won round 1 and possibly 2 due to the last minute strikes at the end of round 2. I do agree that he should be knowing of the rules of course. I was wondering what was with the unanimous decision. Possibly split if I'm not mistaken.

Silva,

As Barett from FF7 said

"You jez full of suprises"

That had to be one beautiful, BEAUTIFUL, fight.
I had a feeling Rich's striking wasn't that ready yet. Though he was ready and waiting for that clinch. I like how Anderson tricked him catching him with that short right directly to the head of round 1. To me, I think Rich's game plan was to stand and bang but over emphasize on watching for that clinch. Caught him again for round 2 then laid it on him from downstairs to upstairs striking for the finish. Good hustle for Rich though great try.

*High five to gekiganger*
Definitely shun goku satsu damage dude!

and then Rich Franklin's nose.
edit:
Yeah that was seriously not cool not airing the Okami, mcdonald fight. Reading the play by play's it sounded really good. Hey if Okami can get to Silva, Silva has his revenge match against him and that just solidifies him even further.

Oh and ...

I always keep forgetting this but thank god for ring girls

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Sun 21 Oct 15:16]

Catalyst
328th Post

Bronze Customer

"M-1 Ceo Unveiled" , posted Tue 23 Oct 07:53post reply

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=4927&zoneid=2

Well atleast it ain't a Mcmahon.

GekigangerV
1447th Post

"Re(1):M-1 Ceo Unveiled" , posted Tue 23 Oct 13:11:post reply

Not too interesting on who got M1. Hopefully they get a good pool of fighters. They better get Barnett.

Interview with Fedor

Interesting quote

quote:
As part of his new deal, Emelianenko will be allowed to fight outside the organization. Additionally, he requested — and received — a special clause in his contract that requires M-1 Global to offer the UFC heavyweight champion $1 million more than what the UFC offers for a fight with Emelianenko.

I am not too sure about this. I wonder if this a type of bait to lure people to fight him. This is kind of unheard of. Its cool that Fedor can openly fight out of M1. This is where the sport needs to go.

Here is another part of the interview from another site

Fedor vs. Big Tim?

quote:
Fedor talks about how there was a proposol to fight Tim Sylvia but one of the parties refused and he does not know if it was the UFC or Tim himself.

Wow.

In other news Franklin broke his nose and his hand.

Link Here

However, he is not considering retirement.

I like Franklin, and he is not a bad fighter. His only losses are against Silva and Machida(who is just too big for him).

It would be nice if he went to another organization like M1 to try and find new competition to improve himself or switched camps. My brother(who trained in boxing) mentioned that Franklin was fighting as if Silva was an orthodox fighter when he is a southpaw like Franklin. More specifically Franklin was throwing his punches more outward.

It would be great if Franklin actually trained with Silva to help him out.

*edit*

Something weird happened today as it appears that the Official UFC site "confirmed" Wanderlei vs Chuck on Dec 29, but they have already taken it down.

It would be cool if the fight still happened even though they were making a big deal that it would only happen if Chuck beat Jardine.

Speaking of future PPVs. 78 looks below average, almost "Ultimate Fight Night" quality. I would actually rather pay for the main event from the next Ultimate Fight Night featuring Huerta over Bisping/Evans.

I think that Sean Sherk's situation is partially to blame for this as he probably could have had another title defense or we could crown a new champion. Hopefully his whole controversy is ended this week.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Tue 23 Oct 13:15]

Catalyst
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):M-1 Ceo Unveiled" , posted Wed 24 Oct 09:13post reply

Making a quick post but i'll be definitely replying to your post when I get the chance but.

Wanderlei confirms Chuck fu--- i mean fight

I started checking around to find more information on that sudden UFC pull off the website. Then I found this reference straight out of Wanderlei's mouth and from Fightbeat.com. Even though it is a video with declaration of happening subject to change due to the promoters and such or maybe they are trying to surprise the public. Either way thats gonna end the year off very very nicely.

GekigangerV
1450th Post

"Wanderlei vs Chuck" , posted Wed 24 Oct 13:14:post reply

On UFC's website

Too bad this fight didn't happen a couple of years ago.

Unless Chuck has changed his game plan, I am picking Wanderlei to win.

Update on those MMA figures

Painted

I think I will just get Jackson. Hopefully they can get Wanderlei Silva and Anderson Silva next.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Wed 24 Oct 13:15]

Catalyst
330th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Wanderlei vs Chuck" , posted Wed 24 Oct 14:26post reply

I seriously want to buy tickets to go watch Wanderlei fight. I think it is fair for this fight to happen finally both fighters came off of two losses. They are aligned for each other again so I think this is a great opportunity in the promoters mind for the fight to be happening.

I don't wanna call this fight with all the pride upsets as of late but I really want Wanderlei to win.

As for Rich Franklin and his orthodox stance vs Silva's southpaw he has options to work with though southpaw such as the right cross. In itself is a tricky stance against those fighting in an orthodox stance hence as you said Rich hitting outward because of Silva.

If he just started training southpaw for that specific fight I think personally it would get a lot to be used to. I never sparred personally with Southpaw's in my muay thai practice but I'm mostly with orthodox. However, if you think about it the response from your opponent and what you receive back messes with the person entirely. I suppose in example where I played southpaw against my brother, he had a hard time tagging me and we were just play fighting nothing serious.

If it was Southpaw vs southpaw in a situation the response you'll see correct responses in counter punching, block, slipping, you name it. Wish I could give you more information but i'm pretty limited to that unless I learn more. Probably your brother can explain it better than I do, all I can say is it is pretty agitating to fight against one in sum of the information. Kinda like the saying goes what you don't know can hurt you, literally for Franklin. Good try though from a great guy.

GekigangerV
1453th Post

"Re(2):Wanderlei vs Chuck" , posted Fri 26 Oct 04:46post reply

quote:

As for Rich Franklin and his orthodox stance vs Silva's southpaw he has options to work with though southpaw such as the right cross. In itself is a tricky stance against those fighting in an orthodox stance hence as you said Rich hitting outward because of Silva.

If he just started training southpaw for that specific fight I think personally it would get a lot to be used to. I never sparred personally with Southpaw's in my muay thai practice but I'm mostly with orthodox. However, if you think about it the response from your opponent and what you receive back messes with the person entirely. I suppose in example where I played southpaw against my brother, he had a hard time tagging me and we were just play fighting nothing serious.

If it was Southpaw vs southpaw in a situation the response you'll see correct responses in counter punching, block, slipping, you name it. Wish I could give you more information but i'm pretty limited to that unless I learn more. Probably your brother can explain it better than I do, all I can say is it is pretty agitating to fight against one in sum of the information. Kinda like the saying goes what you don't know can hurt you, literally for Franklin. Good try though from a great guy.

What I meant is both Franklin and Sivla are primarily lefties. Even southpaws themselves sometimes don't want to fight each other because they're used to fighting right-handed fighters and get caught up in their own tricks. It's just that Franklin was circling to his right and throwing punches in Silva's outward direction. If Silva was an orthodox fighter, Franklin could have landed some hits on him judging by the way he was throwing the punches at him. Usually southpaws move to their right just to avoid the opponent's right hand and to utilize their left straight and right hook against a righty. That's how some of Franklin's movements looked like to me.

And yeah, Silva was totally slipping Franklin's punches in a very weird but super style and showed great defense. Plus, Little Nog, who is also a southpaw is one of his training partners and probably knows how to fight fellow southpaws like himself. Franklin just didn't seem to know how to fight against another southpaw though he is one.

Silva in that fight just proved he was in a different class on his own by dominating Franklin who could have dominated that division if he didn't come in. Too bad Chonan who previously defeated him (despite Sivla having a broken foot) is dropping down so he can't get his revenge match. Chonan actually fought Silva's clinch pretty well in that Pride fight.

On the subject of Wandy vs Iceman

As for the former Pride fighter upsets going on with Crocop and Shogun, on the other hand, two of the title holders are former Pride fighters themselves so don't count out all Pride fighters yet. But it's Crocop and Shogun's own fault that they're screwing up in the UFC so far. Especially when Shogun only went for take downs and Griffin is known for his sprawl and brawl.

But in the future, I hope for future signings. Like I'd love to see Igor Vochaynchyn. The ultimate match up of Iceman vs Ice Cold, lol. That would be a great match up. Despite his ring antics and un-professionalism, I have always found Gilbert Yvel entertaining, but he'll never got approved to fight in the states. Heck, I won't be surprised if they give Wandy a rematch at Tito down the line. Though it would be cool if the UFC got Vitor Belfort back and gave him that rematch as well.

Anyway, Couture is supposed to have a press conference today about his resignation. I think it's still sad he had to leave, but the future is still bright for UFC and MMA with or without him. Especially with fighters like Jackson and Anderson Silva around. Personally, I favor Big Nog being the next champion despite his lackluster debut. But yeah, like boxing, the heavyweight division in MMA is more or less lackluster. Pride got the best that division had to offer and made a great heavyweight pool of talent, but with Pride's absence and some fighters not coming over, heavyweight fights aren't that exciting anymore.

Hopefully the Crocop that plowed through the 2006 GP will come back. I hope Crocop is not on a decline because he just had the greatest performance of his career during that tournament. Then again, some critics said the same about Rampage being on a decline and he became the first ever undisputed 205 champion and could stay champ for a long time. Maybe Crocop needs Juanito now =P.

Ultimate Fighter last night was load of bull. I thought Dan Barrera won the first round of that fight easily. I don't get how the judges gave the first round to Ben. Despite how much of a self absorbed jerk Hughes comes across, he was right to go to the commissioner's face and express his outrage. Then again, this isn't the first time, nor will it be the last time we'll see bull crap decisions on not only the Ultimate Fighter, but in live UFC events as well.

Now I'll end it with some of my thoughts on Bisping vs Evans. I lost my respect for Bisping after getting a home town decision against Hammill. I scored every round for Hammill and it just made a lot of fans feel insulted that Bisping himself was convinced he got the decision. To me, behaving in that matter after winning in such a fraud fashion just disgusts me and shows no class.

I mean, it would be as ridiculous as Mike Swick getting a hometown decision against Yushin Okami when they fought in Swick's are of Houston. Then again, misjudged decisions are unfortunately part of the game. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm surprised Dana or Hammill's camp didn't demanded an investigation. Because of Bisping's behavior after that fight, I hope Evans knocks his head off. Evans has fought the better competition so I'm picking him to win.

Catalyst
335th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Wanderlei vs Chuck" , posted Fri 26 Oct 06:36:post reply

quote:

What I meant is both Franklin and Sivla are primarily lefties. Even southpaws themselves sometimes don't want to fight each other because they're used to fighting right-handed fighters and get caught up in their own tricks. It's just that Franklin was circling to his right and throwing punches in Silva's outward direction. If Silva was an orthodox fighter, Franklin could have landed some hits on him judging by the way he was throwing the punches at him. Usually southpaws move to their right just to avoid the opponent's right hand and to utilize their left straight and right hook against a righty. That's how some of Franklin's movements looked like to me.

Wish I had a streaming video of it and now that I remember part of it yea your right. I was stating more on the ends of Franklin's training partners being orthodox while he is a Southpaw in training. [Sorry for the bad misconception]

The general rule of thumb is to avoid the other opponents power hand if he is a southpaw in that case. I would wonder if you could hook off the jab in terms of MMA striking but of course striking --> is the set up for the take downs and not trying to linger in a stand up fight long or a grappling fight either in showing one's strategy.

quote:

Silva in that fight just proved he was in a different class on his own by dominating Franklin who could have dominated that division if he didn't come in. Too bad Chonan who previously defeated him (despite Sivla having a broken foot) is dropping down so he can't get his revenge match. Chonan actually fought Silva's clinch pretty well in that Pride fight.

As much as I like Silva, I wish Chonan the best of success personally but I honestly don't think middleweight is the best class for him. I agree he did fine against Silva in pride, I'm not sure about a second time fight against Silva but I don't think middleweight is the best class for Chonan. Only person I can see Silva fighting anytime soon is maybe Hendo, hendo has got one thick skull. But I believe in recent interviews he wishes to stay at light heavyweight for now while he holds on to other belt.

quote:

As for the former Pride fighter upsets going on with Crocop and Shogun, on the other hand, two of the title holders are former Pride fighters themselves so don't count out all Pride fighters yet. But it's Crocop and Shogun's own fault that they're screwing up in the UFC so far. Especially when Shogun only went for take downs and Griffin is known for his sprawl and brawl.

That is true~ Crocop's fight against Kongo was a bit wierd, I heard he did great in the first round but just let it go after the other 2. I mean just cause you can't get your knock out doesn't mean give it quits now when your absolutely dominating striking wise in your own field.

On the Mirko Crocop website, I believe he recently said he got surgery for having a deviated septum to fix some breathing problems but still wishes to come back strong and not let anyone down based on his last performances. Hope that was the case though.

quote:

But in the future, I hope for future signings. Like I'd love to see Igor Vochaynchyn. The ultimate match up of Iceman vs Ice Cold, lol. That would be a great match up. Despite his ring antics and un-professionalism, I have always found Gilbert Yvel entertaining, but he'll never got approved to fight in the states. Heck, I won't be surprised if they give Wandy a rematch at Tito down the line. Though it would be cool if the UFC got Vitor Belfort back and gave him that rematch as well.

Speaking of which where is Igor anyways? For Wandy I hope he gets all his rematches well maybe not Vitor since he isn't there but hey if it solidifies him the more the better! I really really wanted to see that Shogun Babalu fight but that was such bullshit that they made such a big deal over the submission. It didn't even look that bad nor long, the ref should of been more proactive besides just tapping babalu.

quote:
Ultimate Fighter last night was load of bull.

Since I don't have cable I can't watch the Ultimate fighter on spike so I keep up with it slightly. I watched the first season video recorded though for support of MMA but after that I just couldn't stand the people they were getting on the show. I've heard tid bits about this season's ultimate fighter and I think Mac Danzig said it best with the kind of people they have in the house. Immature and such. Where in the world are they picking these people?! Especially that Matt Serra's student. Some of these people seriously need a slap upside. I'll have to read up on last nights episode so we can talk about it. Though he doesn't top the cake as bad Gabe from last season. Hah a funny cake and gabe in the same sentence.

I also heard a famous quote with the cookyness of Matt Hughes team and ugh ground "fighting" persay. "We're just doing... this."

HAHA.

quote:
Now I'll end it with some of my thoughts on Bisping vs Evans. I lost my respect for Bisping after getting a home town decision against Hammill. I scored every round for Hammill and it just made a lot of fans feel insulted that Bisping himself was convinced he got the decision. To me, behaving in that matter after winning in such a fraud fashion just disgusts me and shows no class.

I think Dana White is really trying hard to hit that European market on Bispings end and butt heads with Cage rage. But even so, that has to be retarded indeed. Rumor has it that the Cash flow isn't going so great with the Pride FC revival going defunct and closing the office and not getting a TV deal, then the expensive trips to Europe.

quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm surprised Dana or Hammill's camp didn't demanded an investigation. Because of Bisping's behavior after that fight, I hope Evans knocks his head off. Evans has fought the better competition so I'm picking him to win.

I haven't heard anything to be honest or probably missed it usually Sherdog stays on top of interviewing fighters on controversial losses and such. Dana White, I don't think he really cares and leaves it up to the comission and the fighters to petition but that is my assumption of course.

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Fri 26 Oct 06:40]

GekigangerV
1458th Post

"Random stuff" , posted Tue 13 Nov 06:34post reply

Sean Sherk's hearing has been delayed Dec. 4, it sucks for Sherk. Dana is going to make an interim title match with BJ Penn and Joe Stevenson, which is the right thing to do.

Fedor was on "Human Weapon" the other day for Sambo. I didn't catch the end, but my brother told me that Duff beat Fedor's student 9-0.

"Rampage" was on Sports Science or something on Fox Sports for a brief second about the G-forces on certain sports impacts.

According to them Jackson slams are 400Gs, but that was a powerbomb kind of thing which only really happened to Ricardo Arona.

Catalyst
337th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Random stuff" , posted Tue 13 Nov 13:38post reply

quote:
Sean Sherk's hearing has been delayed Dec. 4, it sucks for Sherk. Dana is going to make an interim title match with BJ Penn and Joe Stevenson, which is the right thing to do.

Fedor was on "Human Weapon" the other day for Sambo. I didn't catch the end, but my brother told me that Duff beat Fedor's student 9-0.

"Rampage" was on Sports Science or something on Fox Sports for a brief second about the G-forces on certain sports impacts.

According to them Jackson slams are 400Gs, but that was a powerbomb kind of thing which only really happened to Ricardo Arona.

While I'm not a fan of interim fights but a fan for Penn and Stevenson, it is really the only logical thing to do. I hope that fight is gonna be something!

Nice to hear about Fedor on that Human weapon show. Cool show though nice and historical i'm glad a show like that is around with all the claims and sometimes mysticism martial arts can present or from the bs instructors.

The rampage slam, Science and its facts. Pretty interesting to hear that is 400gs. Wonder if Arona was thinking of the equation or figuring out the g's he got slammed on that one! That has to extremely hurt!

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1461th Post

"Sokoudjou to UFC" , posted Fri 16 Nov 01:33post reply

Versus Machida at 79

Seems like a rather short time for a fighter to get ready for a fight, but hopefully he has stayed in shape for the last few months.

I can't see Machida doing his usual thing in this match and pull out a victory. I think Sokoudjou will win.

79 is a great card, it really makes up for 78.

Catalyst
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Sokoudjou to UFC" , posted Fri 16 Nov 05:49:post reply

quote:
Versus Machida at 79

Seems like a rather short time for a fighter to get ready for a fight, but hopefully he has stayed in shape for the last few months.

I can't see Machida doing his usual thing in this match and pull out a victory. I think Sokoudjou will win.

79 is a great card, it really makes up for 78.

I could of sworn Sokoudjou was going to strike force or elite xc, well I'll be damned. That is gonna be something of a fight for sure.

Hey Gekiganger, I'm not sure if you saw any of those joke images with the whole House of M and "Magneto was right" images, but doesn't the irony kinda fall in the place with the whole Tito Ortiz bit with Randy Coutures case in consideration with money? I believe also Ken Shamrock is in a lawsuit with the UFC as well with lots of other fighters speaking their minds against Dana. Kind of struck my mind and had me laughing just a moment or so ago.

edit: Also I suppose with M-1 coming along and now
Wamma's Wish: To Unite MMA

I guess now we will know whose cream of the crop more professionalism in the sport along with a cleaner image.

Personally I'm a bit hmm at the situation i'll have to read more into it when I get home from work for the mean time.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Fri 16 Nov 06:01]

Catalyst
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"This is one of the reasons I don't watch TUF" , posted Fri 16 Nov 16:17post reply

http://media.putfile.com/Rob-Emerson-Gangsta

Immature stick F-'s like that. Some little rich city kid who thinks he's from the hood. I'm glad this guy doesn't have much of a career let alone can fight either, what a wuss to pick on people much weaker and unskilled. I'm glad Nate Diaz beat him. You would figure Dana White would screen some of these people but then again we got Kimbo Slice fighting in Elite. I guess it is the pot calling the kettle black on that one.

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1462th Post

"Re(1):This is one of the reasons I don't watc" , posted Sat 17 Nov 08:13post reply

quote:
http://media.putfile.com/Rob-Emerson-Gangsta

Immature stick F-'s like that. Some little rich city kid who thinks he's from the hood. I'm glad this guy doesn't have much of a career let alone can fight either, what a wuss to pick on people much weaker and unskilled. I'm glad Nate Diaz beat him. You would figure Dana White would screen some of these people but then again we got Kimbo Slice fighting in Elite. I guess it is the pot calling the kettle black on that one.

I think this is one of the many reasons why Orange County should be nuked off the map and we should get rid of the WB/CW network.

Some Dana White-isms

I think it would help UFC 78 a bit if Karo was moved up to the main event. That dude is being held back. I disagree that the winner of Bisping/Evans is top 5 nor are they worthy of the main event.

Catalyst
341th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):This is one of the reasons I don't watc" , posted Sat 17 Nov 13:46post reply

quote:

I think this is one of the many reasons why Orange County should be nuked off the map and we should get rid of the WB/CW network.

Some Dana White-isms

I think it would help UFC 78 a bit if Karo was moved up to the main event. That dude is being held back. I disagree that the winner of Bisping/Evans is top 5 nor are they worthy of the main event.

Not to derail but, Orange county is that ridiculous huh? I've heard numerous stories of it being retarded but it is to that point that it should be nuked huh?

Ontopic

Maybe to UFC standards Bisping and Evans holds that top 5 setting in terms of the UFC, but world? Debatable. I heavily agree with you that the Karo and Chonan fight should be a main eventer.

LOL, it is funny he is still stomping his feet that he didn't get Fedor by mudslinging at him. Very classy. Then he has the gall to say Randy's number 1 just to save face when he felt in his heart of hearts that Fedor is number 1 hence probably the ridiculous amounts of money they were willing to spend on Fedor but not to Randy without any respect to Randy at all. Toilet paper is over there~

I do hope though for Dana's sake he promotes WEC much higher for the lighter classes. As nice are the big classes are? Little guys need their lovin to dammit. They need to shine and get the big draws as much as a Heavyweight would with the intensity they put on the line in their fights and a never ending gas tank, unless your Jorge gurgle from that last fight.

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1463th Post

"Validation" , posted Mon 19 Nov 04:31post reply

Edgar vs Spencer was a pretty fun fight. Edgar had every round. I think he could make a great opponent for Huerta next but Spence was a top name in that division in the UFC so he could probably fight the loser of Stevenson vs Penn

Great KO victory for Herman. That was a MEAN ASS left hook. That was a crazy fight and I think one of the best.

Chonan vs Karo was pretty good too. Karo couldn't get his trade mark hip throw in =(, but managed to counter leg kicks of Chonan's with some trips. It was a descent fight.

Alexander was exposed. Thiago needs a a couple more wins and he will be close to top 5.

I thought Evans won. Granted this fight was no where close to ever being finished, but I think Evans was in better positions where he could have had it. Bisping landed more cleaner strikes, but Evans with positioning and take downs just favored it more to him.

With his undefeated record, I think Evans might get the next title shot as everyone else needs to be settled out first. Probably winner of Chuck/Silva will get a shot after that then the winner of Griffin/Jardine and then there is Sokoudjou/Machida which will put either winner in definite top 5.

The New Jersey referees made good calls to break up fighters after periods of inaction or no position advancement. It was kind of weird at first because I am used to UFC referees letting people stay in the same position for the whole round.

Catalyst
342th Post

Bronze Customer

"UFC March 1st, Anderson Silva vs Hendo" , posted Tue 20 Nov 03:12post reply

I missed Validation but it seems like it was an alright show some other fans complained that it sucked but hm. I'll have to go looking for that when I get the chance to check it out. Personally I wanted to watch it to see Joe Lauzon's training after the his stay in Hilo with Bj Penn's crew. I heard he absolutely dominated Reindheart.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5098&zoneid=2

And on the front page of UFC.com scroll down for news.

Here we go Hendo Vs Silva, While I don't doubt Silva this won't be easy for him at all I think this will be an awesome fight.

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1466th Post

"Serra injured" , posted Sat 24 Nov 02:21post reply

Link Here

It sucks that this is now the third weight division to be in limbo this year. Thankfully we have Silva and Jackson to help the UFC as champions.

Speaking of Silva its great he is getting the "unification" match with Henderson. Just like Henderson's match with "Rampage," this fight can go either way.

This will be an interesting fight as although both fighters like to keep it standing they have great ground skills. It will be great to see these two roll if it comes down to it.

Catalyst
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Serra injured" , posted Sat 24 Nov 15:30:post reply

quote:
Link Here

It sucks that this is now the third weight division to be in limbo this year. Thankfully we have Silva and Jackson to help the UFC as champions.

Speaking of Silva its great he is getting the "unification" match with Henderson. Just like Henderson's match with "Rampage," this fight can go either way.

This will be an interesting fight as although both fighters like to keep it standing they have great ground skills. It will be great to see these two roll if it comes down to it.

Reading this in the morning before going to work really sucks but I hope the fight card can be saved with maybe another great fight in place for Serra vs Hughes. I really wish Serra could fight but a herniated disk is probably one of the worst things to have next to knee surgery especially at an age of 30 or so.

Edit: my mistake next to that instead of Knee surgery would have to be staph infection. Those jerks who don't like to take a bath and such then roll with their team mates. Randlemans big ol hole in his body from staph, gyah...

This song is so true

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Sat 24 Nov 15:32]

Catalyst
347th Post

Bronze Customer

"GSP vs Hughes for the interim title oh noes." , posted Sun 25 Nov 13:07post reply

Hughes vs GSP

All I gotta say is inside leg kick for the win.

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1480th Post

"79 Predictions" , posted Sun 30 Dec 10:11post reply

79 is going to start in a couple of hours and I thought I would share some of my predictions for the matches I am interested in.

Soko vs Machida.

Machida is a good, but slow fighter. I think Soko will apply the pressure and finish him. My brother is picking Machida though.

Silva vs Liddell.

If both fighters fight in their trademark styles. Liddell has an advantage as he tries to use an opponents against them to land counters and Wanderlei is kind of wild. I want and am picking Wanderlei to win though.

Hughes vs GSP.

I want Hughes to win just for the sake of having the real Ultimate Fighter main event. However, GSP will dominate.

catalyst
359th Post

Silver Customer

"Spoiler alert" , posted Sun 30 Dec 15:22:post reply

Clementi vs Guillard:
Nicely done match for two people who hate each other very nice rear naked choke finish. I don't like guillard either way so I'm happy.

Soko vs Machida:

Very nice technical fight, despite Soko putting the pressure Machida dominates through it all! Good job from both giving it their all

Oh and SWEET PREDATOR MASK!!!!

Not gonna bother with the eddie sanchez fight with Solalei, but I will give credit to Solalei for having a strong chin.

Silva vs Lidell:
As much as I like both fighters and as I was going for Silva, Silva was just way to jittery and not fighting his usual fight. He played right into Lidells. Second round though I thought he dominated I couldn't see why it was a split decision. First and third round has to go to chuck despite Wanderlei countering. He seriously needed to step into lidells pocket to eliminate the space between them and do his thing. Either way Lidell's hands were just way to strong for him watching him stumble back numerous amounts of times. Great heart from Silva and great job for lidell.

Gsp vs hughes:
Inside leg kick for the win, with the teabag into a kimura - armbar. Awesome work george! Straight dominance.

Edit: sorry for rushed typing doing a bunch of things all at once, will commentate or join in more conversations discussing on current ufc.

edit part 2: also gekiganger great job you and your brother did for the victorious boxers wii review, i happened to stumble it on youtube couple days before Christmas cause I couldn't wait to get the game and know more of it then realizing I got it under the tree.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Sun 30 Dec 15:38]

GekigangerV
1481th Post

"Re(1):Spoiler alert" , posted Mon 31 Dec 03:02post reply

Silva and Liddell was a nice fight. Although I don't want to make excuses for the fighters, Silva seemed to fight like he was still in a ring. He backed into the cage as if he wanted to do a rope-a-dope off of it. I can't believe he didn't utilize the clinch or even follow Liddell to the ground the two or three times he got him. I wonder if he didn't know what to do without the stomps. Good fight either way.

Kind of weird that Liddell did the take downs at the end just to do nothing. Except for the one small exchange where Liddell cut Silva, Liddell didn't do much in the second round, but two judges still judged it 30-27.

quote:

edit part 2: also gekiganger great job you and your brother did for the victorious boxers wii review, i happened to stumble it on youtube couple days before Christmas cause I couldn't wait to get the game and know more of it then realizing I got it under the tree.

Nooo. you know my face.

catalyst
360th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Spoiler alert" , posted Mon 31 Dec 11:59:post reply

quote:
Silva and Liddell was a nice fight. Although I don't want to make excuses for the fighters, Silva seemed to fight like he was still in a ring. He backed into the cage as if he wanted to do a rope-a-dope off of it. I can't believe he didn't utilize the clinch or even follow Liddell to the ground the two or three times he got him. I wonder if he didn't know what to do without the stomps. Good fight either way.

Did you get that feeling too?! There was a perfect opportunity for him to clinch and just knee right when Liddell was pressed in for a take down I believe while he was pressed against the cage.

It was funny because the bar I was at, half the crowd well about 75% was for chuck and i was the 25% screaming out to silva KNEE KNEE getting a crowd chanting started cause they could see it also.

quote:

Kind of weird that Liddell did the take downs at the end just to do nothing. Except for the one small exchange where Liddell cut Silva, Liddell didn't do much in the second round, but two judges still judged it 30-27.

Yeah that has to be one of the most unlikeliness things I have ever seen Liddell pulled, it was smart and great cause he achieved dominant position and points, especially seeing him pull an elbow out of nowhere and the backfist.

quote:

Nooo. you know my face.

Haha its all good dude I would of said the same thing! Either way great job on that review again!

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Mon 31 Dec 12:01]

GekigangerV
1490th Post

"81 Spoilers" , posted Sun 3 Feb 15:00:post reply

Good card overall.

Griffin vs. Tibau

I thought it was a good showing by Griffin despite the lack of a finish. However, I thought Tibau at least had the second round.

Almeida v. Yundt
Damn nice submission. I would like to see him against whoever wins between Silva/Henderson.

Marquardt v. Horn

Another good guillotine for the night. It would be interesting to see him against Silva again now.

Boetsch v. Heath

A slow start, but great finish. I am surprised Heath didn't try to catch those thrust kicks though. They came over and over.

Mir V. Lesnar

I knew Lesnar would lose by submission, but he definitely had Mir in a precarious position with ground and pound.

Mazagatti is way too quick with those point deductions. The strike was accidental as Mir turned into the punch to the back of the head. Mazagatti did the same thing to Jamie Varner at WEC a couple of months back. He should have just given Mir a moment to recover if needed and given both fighters a warning(Lesnar to watch out and Mir to not turn into it).

Going into the event I thought that Mir would pull off an arm bar as Lesnar went for ground and pound. That almost happened, but Lesnar left himself wide open for that knee bar and I saw that coming a mile away when Lesnar was holding Mir's leg out. He should have thrown both legs to the side to try and get side control.

Mir's skill set was too much for Brock and almost not fair considering Mir's experience. Hopefully Mir makes it back to the top.

Nogueira v. Sylvia

I thought it would be boring "fight not to lose" Sylvia fighting tonight and not "cannon one-two Sylvia." I was thinking that Sylvia for try to pin Nog up against the fence and Nog would just trip Sylvia and tap him out in the first round.

Although Sylvia lost all his loses are against big names: Arlovski, Mir, Couture and now Nog.

I hope Couture comes back to try and take on Nog as beating him would solidify him as atleast #2 in the world.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sun 3 Feb 15:01]

catalyst
368th Post

Silver Customer

"News and later commentary for 81." , posted Sun 3 Feb 17:28post reply

What's up Gekiganger! Hope everything is going alright with you. I may have missed UFC 81 but I will commentate on it tomorrow from brief news tidbits I picked up.

But! In the meantime I figured you might like these news tidbits since were both Barnett fans. Go M. Bison! Along with of course known miscellaneous news such as Shogun Vs Lidell coming in June ala Revenge match.

From Sherdog.com http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=11131:

World Victory Road has confirmed that Japanese star Hidehiko Yoshida (Pictures) will meet Josh Barnett (Pictures) in the main event of the promotion's March 5 debut card at Yoyogi National Gymnasium No. 1 in Tokyo, Japan.

It was previously expected that the Barcelona Games judo gold medalist would meet star grappler Roger Gracie (Pictures) in the marquee fight for the Sengoku card. After aggressively pursuing the free agent Barnett, WVR reportedly changed plans for their main event last week.

A source has confirmed to Sherdog.com that Gracie will be on hand at Yoyogi National Gymnasium No. 1 for the event, where WVR will announce his participation for its second event, slated for May. The source further confirmed that WVR hoped to build toward a Gracie-Yoshida fight in the fall.

Yoshida, 38, has not competed since New Year's Eve of 2006, where he was stopped in brutal fashion by English heavyweight James Thompson (Pictures).

Barnett also last competed in MMA on NYE 2006, having dropped a unanimous decision to now-UFC champion Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (Pictures) in their rematch.

Another tidbit if your into the Lightweight class

Takanori Gomi also joins World Victory Road and will be participating in Sengoku.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=11082

Of course this has been confirmed that he is getting paid 190,000 per fight. I believe Josh gross has stated at one point his sponsors just give him way to much money alone.

What I find wierd is his akward commentary based on his personal webblog.

quote:
"I would like to deliver a fight which has more impact than before."
"By watching UFC on NYE, I felt the MMA boom for the past 10 years had ended. I felt I wanted make a new start and I confirmed that a new event is where I fight next."
" Fighting outside of Japan attracts me, but I decided to fight close to most of my fans."

Wonder what he means by the MMA boom has ended? Maybe the older generation has made its passing and the new age of fighters have came in but I wonder what he would really mean by that.

http://sukimma.blogspot.com/ Translated blog spot there.

Commentary on UFC 81 tomorrow!

This song is so true

catalyst
369th Post

Silver Customer

"81 commentary" , posted Tue 5 Feb 03:34post reply

Main Eventers:

Lesnar vs Mir:
Lesnar did a very great job, I'm glad his hard work despite his loss paid off. The more subdefense work along with relaxed striking and positioning will give him great opporotunities to be a contender in the heavyweight division. As for mir, great job in hanging in there taking those heavy shots and great active guard as always. I can't blame Brock for hitting Mir on the back of the head as it is purely accidental and he is getting that surge of adrenaline.

Sylvia vs Nogueria:
As bad and boring as Sylvia's fights are and sometimes logical speaking this is the most ive seen him and probably yours as well as aggressive ever. Of course I mean that in a moderate fashion. The first round with his flash knockdown of Nogueria and controlling of the pace of the fight is pretty good for Sylvia, constantly throwing out that jab.

Nogueria, I don't blame him trying to have a hard time getting in and striking with Tim seeing his reach is so huge. Very clean though pulling that guard to force him to get on the ground and eventually leading to the finish.

I'd finish commentating on the rest of the fights but I am out of time with other matters to attend to! I'll be saving that for the Hendo vs Anderson fight.

This song is so true

catalyst
371th Post

Silver Customer

"Gekiganger, here is what we all feared." , posted Sun 10 Feb 14:59post reply

Oh come on!?

I understand that MMA is fairly new to a big group of people and it comes with the territory, but I suppose the territory is now with the cash in on MMA.

Remember the funny talk we had on the OC and people like Rob Emerson? Guess this movie caters to that. For cripes sake if they are gonna have the teacher do muay thai turn the hip more in that kick!! (sorry sorry back seat commentator).

Dude this is so the Karate kid movie all over again, gyms will fill up with a bunch of wannabes and more hurt people. Oh well it is more funny watching them gas out more than anything.

This song is so true

nobinobita
266th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Gekiganger, here is what we all feared." , posted Tue 12 Feb 16:41post reply

quote:
Oh come on!?
Dude this is so the Karate kid movie all over again, gyms will fill up with a bunch of wannabes and more hurt people. Oh well it is more funny watching them gas out more than anything.

UFC plus Charles Atlas Comic Book Ads plus the OC = this movie.

On a happier note, this means that the sport of MMA is catching on. Stuff this stupid only gets made when someone wants to cash in on a hot new trend.

catalyst
373th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Gekiganger, here is what we all feared." , posted Wed 13 Feb 04:04post reply

quote:
Oh come on!?

UFC plus Charles Atlas Comic Book Ads plus the OC = this movie.

On a happier note, this means that the sport of MMA is catching on. Stuff this stupid only gets made when someone wants to cash in on a hot new trend.

Nice! I was thinking more of the lines of Fast and the furious train wrecks with the OC and the Karate kid creating this movie.

But yeah definitely on a happier note it is good that MMA is catching on through this movie. However, probably in a sense with this movie it is kind of a backlash in itself with some regard to stereotypes of MMA practitioners = punks or underground pitfighters and such. Then again the whole fighting in the backyard and stationing up fights in privacy really isn't new via Kimbo Slice's videos.

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1494th Post

"Re(3):Gekiganger, here is what we all feared." , posted Thu 14 Feb 00:35post reply

At least Karate Kid had great cinematography. The circle of cars scene gave me brief flashes of Lionheart with Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Are those guys supposed to be in High School? Not only is the concept dumb enough to bring me to a Hulk-like rage, but it also involves them OC people.

If anyone has the Versus channel, check out WEC tonight. Jamie Varner is taking on Razor Rob for the title. My brother trains with Varner and he thinks he will win. Varner had a good fight a few months ago and WEC fights are exciting in general.

catalyst
375th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Gekiganger, here is what we all feared" , posted Thu 14 Feb 06:15:post reply

quote:
At least Karate Kid had great cinematography. The circle of cars scene gave me brief flashes of Lionheart with Jean-Claude Van Damme.

Are those guys supposed to be in High School? Not only is the concept dumb enough to bring me to a Hulk-like rage, but it also involves them OC people.

If anyone has the Versus channel, check out WEC tonight. Jamie Varner is taking on Razor Rob for the title. My brother trains with Varner and he thinks he will win. Varner had a good fight a few months ago and WEC fights are exciting in general.

Lionheart oh man! I remember that! That was something back in the days huh? I think those people are in high school, with the way the story is portrayed it seems like that juvenile high school crap that we all know and hate. "You kissed mah gurl dawg?!" junk.

Edit: the irony of this movie is that it is sponsored by Proelite and the IFL.

So in this hulk rage state you speak of will you become Fedor of all people and hulk smash everything around you? If that is so that is sweet! If it is appropriate if I may ask if it is okay with you and i'm sure you get it quite often.

Who wins you or your brother? Either sparring wise or even fighting game wise your pick!

My brother whomps on me but what sucks is I can't hit him now because he has surgery done to his eye from muay thai so it is pretty much arggh!

That is cool your brother trains with Varner. Your brother must be awesome on the ground, as much as I want to say Varner takes this fight because I really think he is going to be a big test for "Razor", I'm a fan supporter of Razor and going to stick with him on it. Good luck to both of them though!

Also in random news: I'm going to see if I can find postings or any updated news but apparently Crocop has left the UFC.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Thu 14 Feb 06:19]

GekigangerV
1496th Post

"WEC and other stuff." , posted Thu 14 Feb 14:16post reply

quote:

Who wins you or your brother? Either sparring wise or even fighting game wise your pick!

We kind of go back and forth on the ground, but I have a 40 pound weight advantage on him and my rubber guard isn't too bad. I can transition to an omoplata rather quickly. He is better standing up, he trained with Hayato Sakurai's kick boxing instructor for a bit and with Japan's current minimum weight boxing champion who is also world ranked. He's also a southpaw which messes up my rhythm.

quote:

My brother whomps on me but what sucks is I can't hit him now because he has surgery done to his eye from muay thai so it is pretty much arggh!

That sucks to hear about your bro. He doesn't have any vision loss does he?

quote:

That is cool your brother trains with Varner. Your brother must be awesome on the ground, as much as I want to say Varner takes this fight because I really think he is going to be a big test for "Razor", I'm a fan supporter of Razor and going to stick with him on it. Good luck to both of them though!

Good showing by Varner. He could have been a bit cooler when asking for his mouth piece back though. I don't think it was too controversial as he had gotten from space from Rob and wasn't following up right away, but I am sure there will be a lot of people saying it was a way to get 10 seconds to recover.

quote:

Also in random news: I'm going to see if I can find postings or any updated news but apparently Crocop has left the UFC.

Yeah, apparently he signed with K1's MMA branch. His loss to Gonzaga was devastating, but I still feel that Kongo should have ended in a draw. I how Heath takes Kongo down in the first round.

catalyst
376th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):WEC and other stuff." , posted Thu 14 Feb 15:01:post reply

quote:

We kind of go back and forth on the ground, but I have a 40 pound weight advantage on him and my rubber guard isn't too bad. I can transition to an omoplata rather quickly. He is better standing up, he trained with Hayato Sakurai's kick boxing instructor for a bit and with Japan's current minimum weight boxing champion who is also world ranked. He's also a southpaw which messes up my rhythm.

Wow that seriously right there is a great accomplishment for your brother to put on the resume for sure. I'd be proud to say I got myself handed to him even if it was a sparring session! Your no slouch either awesome work for youself too! I wish I knew more and could actually be apart of a full mma gym to understand more of the ground game but the closest thing I have to that is a book on BJ Penn "The book of Knowledge" I like it because it is very detailed but of course nothing will ever take away from the experience of learning.

quote:

That sucks to hear about your bro. He doesn't have any vision loss does he?

Only in one eye its partial he came very close to having no vision. He has some vision but really not that great at all from releasing high pressure that is in his eye. What has accumulated to it is numerous times throughout his life tennis being one half of the factor because a simple forehand came and the ball hit him directly in his eye. Then the clincher was with muay thai practice during a sparring session bad elbow to the eye from what I believe is an irresponsible and uncontrolled sparring partner.

However, my bro refutes that it is was partly his fault for dropping his hands at the wrong moment. Impact trauma and glaucoma, for this it results in him keeping his hand up over his right eye and unable to do sparring whatsoever just regular focus mitt drills, heavy bag, and etc.

quote:

Good showing by Varner. He could have been a bit cooler when asking for his mouth piece back though. I don't think it was too controversial as he had gotten from space from Rob and wasn't following up right away, but I am sure there will be a lot of people saying it was a way to get 10 seconds to recover.

Yeah I didn't think it was controversial at all either. Varner definitely won fair and square and brought it to Rob. Good show indeed.

quote:

Yeah, apparently he signed with K1's MMA branch. His loss to Gonzaga was devastating, but I still feel that Kongo should have ended in a draw. I how Heath takes Kongo down in the first round.

From what I've read on sherdog and numerous tabulations the organization is a big portion of Pride's former staff and employees. I also checked on their forums but I'm not sure if it is unconfirmed but Dana White is pretty much cool with Crocop going letting him tune himself up before he returns back to the UFC. I really, really do hope crocop considers to come back and fight to regain the aura that comes about him as well as his title as a dangerous striker.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Thu 14 Feb 15:03]

GekigangerV
1507th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Elite XC, Huerta in Tekken movie and other" , posted Thu 21 Feb 15:47post reply

Kimbo Slice beat Tank Abbot in a fight that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but put asses in seats.

However, what is shocking is that a fighter was paid

$1 and won.

Link Here

This HAS to be illegal on some level.

Speaking of putting asses in seats. Brock Lesnar pushed UFC 81 past 600,000 buys

Link Here

Let's see how much longer his hype will last.

Roger Huerta will play Matador in the Tekken movie

Link Here

I haven't played Tekken since 3 so I don't know who this guy is. I was thinking that Huerta would get a title shot this year. Hopefully this won't hinder his career.

Coleman will be inducted in the UFC hall of fame at 82. He deserves it.

catalyst
384th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Elite XC, Huerta in Tekken movie and ot" , posted Fri 22 Feb 02:21:post reply

quote:
Kimbo Slice beat Tank Abbot in a fight that really doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but put asses in seats.

However, what is shocking is that a fighter was paid

$1 and won.

Link Here

This HAS to be illegal on some level.

I highly agree just as much as Arkansas and putting kids barely, BARELY reaching 12 in full MMA combat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30jiK1CDvug
Never mind I realized the link was removed by user. But the rules are pretty much straight 4 ounces mma gloves, no head gear, no elbows. If I find the video again i'll repost it but either way one of the kids knew how to technically use the cage to his advantage and the background consisted mostly of friends and family. Whoever was the sanctioning commitee that approved of this should be shot repeatedly. Pure bred fight league in Arkansas, hah more like inbred fight league.

I understand that in Thailand the economy is so freaking dirt poor that kids over there have to fight but at that point they would have to retire early due to lack of bone development and hurting themselves. That and some kids who are put in that situation of such a big environment probably won't be able to handle the pressure, obviously like the kid in the video he was standing there stiff like he didn't want to be there!?

But Back on topic:

It has to be illegal in some way or manner but however in refutation, if his manager and elite XC agreed to the contract then I suppose there has to be no legal clause to some degree. But in any case if Elite XC is supposed to be a high up "professional" mma matches that are supposed to be about, the fighter that got paid 1 dollar shouldn't even be there. Shouldn't Gabin be considered an amateur mma fighter instead? I know for sure that in amateur mma your just competing normally but without pay. It is when you get paid your supposed to be a professional

quote:
http://mmafightvideos.blogspot.com/2008/02/tito-ortiz-and-dana-white-war-of-words.html

Speaking of money check this little strangle between Ortiz and White. Hope this helps emphasize on the one dollar situation

and good job for Kimbo, hope he gradually improves on himself. Though I really think his competition should be alot better now.

quote:
Speaking of putting asses in seats. Brock Lesnar pushed UFC 81 past 600,000 buys

Link Here

Let's see how much longer his hype will last.

Nice, more fans the better and hopefully more credible the sport!

quote:

Roger Huerta will play Matador in the Tekken movie

Link Here

I haven't played Tekken since 3 so I don't know who this guy is. I was thinking that Huerta would get a title shot this year. Hopefully this won't hinder his career.

Me neither I haven't played a tekken game in a while either probably a little small taste of the game but I'm surprised the movie is serious about production and being made. Then again of course there is the street fighter movie so kinda moot point on my end x.x...

quote:

Coleman will be inducted in the UFC hall of fame at 82. He deserves it.

Awesome!

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Fri 22 Feb 02:23]

nobinobita
282th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Elite XC, Huerta in Tekken movie and ot" , posted Fri 22 Feb 06:46post reply

quote:

I just watched the match and I was suprised at how good Kimbo looked! His stand up skills are actually really solid! It looks like he's taking his training seriously. I hope he goes further, because I just think Kimbo and El Guapo make such a great duo.

I'm sure they'll continue to exploit his wild street fighter hoodlum image, but it seems like he's a pretty cool, respectful dude in real life:

http://www.mmanews.com/other/Bas-Rutten-Says-Kimbo-Is-Among-Best-Students-Ever.html

GekigangerV
1513th Post

"82 predictions and other news" , posted Fri 29 Feb 03:54post reply

Predictions for the main card

Wilson vs Fitch
I say Fitch by TKO or submission in the first two rounds

Okami vs Tanner
If Tanner can initiate a good and effective offense from the start, he can pull it off. Okami is just a VERY SLOW starter that not many people take advantage of. Mike Swick could have easily beaten him if he just came out swinging. Okami is tough, but it's just he comes across easy to pressure. But Okami is a tricky southpaw so you never know.

Sakara vs Leben
Leben by KO in the first two rounds

Herring vs Kongo
Hopefully Herrring can take this to the ground and control Kongo early on and lock in a submission.

Silva vs Henderson
Henderson has the chin to go the distance and probably win by decision by controlling Silva on the ground. Silva is now a BJJ black belt though he has been submitted by fighters who don't have a great record. But on the other hand, Silva's performance in the Japanese circuits is underrated. He beat Sakurai, Newton, and Horn.

Henderson should go back to 205 where he has more potential match ups. But I've heard stories he wants to stay at 185 because he doesn't want to fight bigger guys anymore

Elite XC to be shown on CBS

Pretty cool. Hope they do well.

Bud Light sponsors UFC

Good news for the UFC and its fighters as they get bigger sponsors they can get more money. Everyone will forget about Xyience going out of business within the year, but it sucks for all the people who worked there. I personally don't like Bud Light, I don't like American beer really. I am more of a whiskey man.

Rumors that EA may do a MMA game

They will probably pick up Elite XC if anything, but I would like a game based on WEC instead. Hopefully they can do a good job and not make it too arcadey like Fight Night.

catalyst
385th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):82 predictions and other news" , posted Sat 1 Mar 02:59:post reply

Imma beer man boy!?! YER GOT SOMETHIN TO SAY BOUT MAH BEER?! hahahaha. Thats fine dude different poisons for everyone. Beer to me is great for relaxing unless needed to get pissed drunk from here to next tuesday, liquor it is! First it used to be "Drink Mickeys win the UFC" now there has to be another slogan for bud light!

As for Xyience, it's a crap product anyways it was over hyped and over priced for a supplement, i'm not sure if you used it in you training but I honestly think it really really is not worth the money at all. I will digress though in empathy for the workers who will have to be looking for another job, good luck to them though.

On to the fights:

Fitch by submission first round

Okami by round 2 tko.
Commentary: I think personally Tanner might give Okami a run for his money but he has been out for a while now. But I feel Okami will take this one but not as easily or swiftly.

Hoping Sakara by knockout to send him back where the competition is "easier".

Hoping Herring by either tko stoppage or submission to Kongo.

Unsure by Silva vs Henderson, I definitely want to say this is going to decision. Since Dan Henderson strengths play directly with his greco roman clinching, I wonder if he can transition that directly to a take down. If that is the case I can see a lot of control with Hendo. But I think this might be a slug fest with Hendo closing in on Silva.

As for Silva I think his losses are pretty much fluke's, well maybe not so much on Ryo Chonan's case credit has to be given to that submission. Pretty smooth submission indeed.

I don't know if I'm missing any other variables I honestly don't know this one is to close for comfort.

As for Hendo at 205, i've kind of heard the reverse it was just alot of pressure on Dana white's end for this match up and Hendo still wishes to clear a few things up in the 205 division feeling he wasn't on the offensive enough against Rampage.

Lastly I'm not sure if you had a chance to see this but

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QFrHNaq-6qE

Another martial arts movie looks like it is leaning more to the brazilian jujitsu side of things with Randy Couture and I believe John Machado and Gene Lebell aiming for a serious storyline. I think this is a whole lot better than Never Back Down but I don't think it will get alot of recognition. I hope it does but hmm.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Sat 1 Mar 03:07]

GekigangerV
1519th Post

"Re(2):82 predictions and other news" , posted Sat 1 Mar 12:18:post reply

quote:
As for Hendo at 205, i've kind of heard the reverse it was just alot of pressure on Dana white's end for this match up and Hendo still wishes to clear a few things up in the 205 division feeling he wasn't on the offensive enough against Rampage.

Lastly I'm not sure if you had a chance to see this but

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QFrHNaq-6qE

Another martial arts movie looks like it is leaning more to the brazilian jujitsu side of things with Randy Couture and I believe John Machado and Gene Lebell aiming for a serious storyline. I think this is a whole lot better than Never Back Down but I don't think it will get alot of recognition. I hope it does but hmm.

I just heard that about White as well. Hopefully Henderson isn't caught in a void if he loses with match. He would definitely always be two wins away from a title fight at 185, but 205 is all over the place.

That Red Belt movie looks interesting I may check it out. The concept is rather 80's, but not annoying from the looks of it.

A main stream news article about EliteXC's deal with CBS

You can tell the lack of knowledge of the sport in the author's tone and wording.

My brother got to roll with Hermes Franca the other day as Franca is friends with by bro's BJJ instructor. He said it really pushed him to the limit. Apparently Franca was playing around by doing mini-elbows to by bro's head while he was caught in a triangle and grabbed by bro's shorts. I bro got submitted twice but submitted Franca once with a leg lock right before time expired.

Picture with him

My bro is the one in the hat, the shortest guy is Robson Moura who will be fighting in Shooto next month, and the guy on the far left is his instructor, Gustavo Dantas.

My bro also bought Eddie Bravo's book about twister side control. Eddie Bravo's books are very well written(too bad Bravo's comedy is that well written) and great resources. It is hard to utilize the rubber gaurd, but the twister seems a bit more useful, atleast to me that is.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Sat 1 Mar 12:19]

catalyst
386th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):82 predictions and other news" , posted Sat 1 Mar 14:16:post reply

I'm kind of surprised with the name of the movie, apparently based on the director's view on the movie it is kind of like a tribute to Akira Kurosawa's movies and trying to aim for the old school martial arts movies.

Thankfully, Elite XC isn't trying to do a weekly special like the IFL. As much as I like the IFL the problem was the replay shows got really tiring to watch after that. CBS must be really banking on the short term success and draw of paper view for people to watch the event for Saturday night viewers. Heh I do see what you mean though in the writers tone of voice though!

Man just hearing bout your brother and your opportunities you guys sure are lucky. The most that we have here in Houston is actually Sam Hoger and a Miltech fighting system over here and further down to the Woodlands Yves Edwards gym.
I really hope one day I'd love to compete amateur MMA at the least if I can't go pro or practice more on the side but school is just way to important for me right now. I hate making excuses but man I just gotta give it my all in school for now. Even with everything is expensive.

Eddie Bravo's books are great I heard as well! I didn't knew he did comedy I thought he soley was just a musician and BJJ teacher.

edit: changed magician for musician. I need more sleep.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Sat 1 Mar 15:21]

GekigangerV
1525th Post

"82 thoughts, news and World Victory Road vid" , posted Thu 6 Mar 09:58post reply

quote:
I'm kind of surprised with the name of the movie, apparently based on the director's view on the movie it is kind of like a tribute to Akira Kurosawa's movies and trying to aim for the old school martial arts movies.

Thankfully, Elite XC isn't trying to do a weekly special like the IFL. As much as I like the IFL the problem was the replay shows got really tiring to watch after that. CBS must be really banking on the short term success and draw of paper view for people to watch the event for Saturday night viewers. Heh I do see what you mean though in the writers tone of voice though!

which Kurosawa movie would that be? Not Red Beard I assume.

It is so hard to follow IFL with its weekly schedule. The way they try to do team based MMA is really weird too.

82 was a pretty good show.

The Fitch/Wilson fight was pretty good. Fitch showed good takedown defense and stand up. what is up with Joe Rogan? He feels if a fighter wants to blanket someone for 5 minutes its ok? The first stand up was totally warranted Fitch had Wilson's head pinned down for a minute straight trying to finish the takedown and neither fighter was trying to switch to a different position nor did any have any real advantage to do so.

Then in the Tanner/Okami fight Rogan says that the UFC is not there to put on boring fights and Tanner was fighting rather boringly. The dude has been out for TWO YEARS. Damn it Rogan, make up your mind.

It was weird that Heath Herring didn't train "at all" for a ground fight. He showed very good flexibility and reflexes though. He might have gotten a kimura early on if he had committed to it. It was exciting to see him knock down Kongo in the first seconds. I was scared that Herring was going to Knee Kongo on the head while in side position and get himself disqualified. He needs to win two more fights before he gets a shot at the champ again.

I thought the Silva/Henderson fight was going to be like the first round throughout the fight. It is amazing to believe that Silva hasn't gone past the second round in all his UFC fights. They'll probably throw Okami at him so he can avenge his lose. Okami probably has a chance of making it out of the second round just because he likes to keep his distance and try to counter fight. Although he seemed pretty aggressive against Tanner.

In other news Shogun is injured. Apparently its the same injury he had going into the Griffin fight. Hopefully his career isn't cut short by this stuff.

They need to put Henderson up against Liddell or something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mAUR1X4awc&eurl=http://www.sherdog.net/forums/showthread.php?threadid=742960

World Victory Road clips. I hope we get DVDs or something.

Speaking of which, Pride DVDs will begin to come out again starting in May.

nobinobita
285th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):82 predictions and other news" , posted Thu 6 Mar 16:32post reply

quote:
I think this is a whole lot better than Never Back Down but I don't think it will get alot of recognition. I hope it does but hmm.

Dude, David Mamet directing an MMA film?? He wrote Glen Gary Glen Ross! Ok, he wrote the play, which I haven't seen, but the movie version of it is legendary for it's gloriously sharp dialogue and acting performances.

This film has a nice pedigree, and I think it'll get noticed as a serious movie, and not a novelty action flick. It also has that Brazilian actress from City of God and I am Legend, who seems to be a real hot item right now.

As for the Kurosawa connection, David Mamet wrote the screenplay for Ronin... which uh... referenced Samurai? I don't see the connection either.

catalyst
387th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):82 thoughts, news and World Victory Roa" , posted Fri 7 Mar 01:19:post reply

As according to the director of the movie, I'm just repeating out of what he said directly. I'd like to know myself personally which he would be referring to.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LS_FO8x-hO4&feature=related

[unless i'm hearing it wrong please feel free to correct me, he mentions someone else before hand as an omagebut I can't really make the mumbling from that point]

quote:
This film has a nice pedigree, and I think it'll get noticed as a serious movie, and not a novelty action flick. It also has that Brazilian actress from City of God and I am Legend, who seems to be a real hot item right now.

That's actually really good then! I think i'm going to be looking forward to this movie!

As for UFC 82 and Joe Rogan:
The dude is usually blitzed high, can we really blame him on what he says? I mean really now the man tokes, his choice not ours but as the output maybe its gonna be either be one thing or the other.

Personally, I rather here the pride announcer who Bas and Mirko pulled a pranked on. One moment he is calm the next minute he is screaming like crazy.

Fights basing off play by play:
I really hope to see Fitch as a contender soon, or personally against Matt Hughes I wonder what the outcome would be like.

Great job for Okami, I heard he was a bit more aggressive this time around and finished the fight off with a clean knee.

Technically speaking I heard the match between Herring and Kongo was horrendous, but entertainment wise it was pretty nice. What would you say of his striking? I checked out MMAweekly and apparently he went for a training camp with Rob Kaman. Now Rob Kaman is one hell of a muay thai fighter/kickboxer back in the day. Can't say I agree with his rainbow shorts but either way he is along the lines with Ramon Dekker. Any improvements via pride days to now in the UFC?

Speaking of Pride the knees to the body was just thankful! Those years were worth something after all!

Anderson Silva going to be champ for a very long time. I really thought Henderson could hang for quite a bit but not even past the second round.

Sucks for Shogun's behalf but hope he gets better. Recurring injuries are never fun.

UPDATE: Rashad Evans will be fighting Liddell. awkward setup between those two but hm.

Lastly WVR Sengoku:
Jesus even though Gomi cutted from 180 to 154 the man still hits like a mack truck.

Though I'd like to ask a question directed to yourself or your brother geki: I checked out a video on Gomi's gym on the way he practices on a heavy bag and I don't particularly understand his methodology of having his boxing bandaged hands while working the heavy bag. I thought that the whole purpose of having boxing gloves is to protect your hands from breaking so you can commit to your punches more?

http://t-gomi.com/rascal_gym/index.html

and Josh Barnett for the win and his suplex! Really hope he gets it up against Fedor one day.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Fri 7 Mar 01:53]

GekigangerV
1540th Post

"The GekigangerV and Catalyst MMA thred" , posted Sun 20 Apr 15:17post reply

Serra vs GSP 2 thoughts

Danzig vs Bocheck
-Well, Boceck in comparison to Danzig's competiton on TUF was of course had more credentials with being a BJJ blackbelt and BJJ is Danzig's game, but he showed that devastating knee in round 2 or 3. Danzig just showed he was more of the complete fighter. I think Boceck's other match ups could probably be Alberto Crane.

I think Danzig should fight Diaz or Gamburyan next. I think they're great match ups for him. I thought the gogoplata attempt was really cool, but I think he should have gone for the locoplata instead.

Bisping vs McCarthy
-Bisping really looked small at 185, hell,he was small for a 205 fighter. He lost a lot of mass and his head looked really huge! He showed great submission defense. I think he could have worked the body more, but whatever he did, he won anyway regardless. Although McCarthy was covering up most of the blows(Bisping probably only connected 15-20% of his strikes). Bisping really needs to switch up between the body and legs as targets so he isn't so predictable.

Starnes vs Quarry
-What the fuck was up with Starnes!!?? Why was he running away!? The guy beat Leben and he was chicken to fight Quarry!!?? Starnes seemed to care more about going the distance than really fighting. If I were the ref, I would have warned him that if he kept on running away, I would take a point to the point where I disqualify him.

These are the kind of fights where American MMA needs a yellow card system. Plus, Starnes was in no position to throw the finger like Diaz did against Batman and the 30-24 score card was just different, but understandable at the same time. Nice taunting and Rocky IV speech by Quarry.

Lutter vs Franklin
-Lutter, meh, who gives a rat's ass about him anyway. Yeah, I'll admit he was impressive in taking down Franklin, but I got to give Lutter props for his control and submission attempts in round 1. But crazy arm bar escape by Franklin. This match up gave us another side to Franklin with his submission defense.

But Lutter in round 2 took WAY TOO MUCH punishment and should have been stopped earlier. But a great showing by Franklin. He probably needs to fight Henderson before getting a shot at Silva again.

-GSP Vs Serra 2
Obviously GSP really wanted nothing to do with Serra's stand up. Of course GSP used wrestling instead. Serra for awhile used descent guard game, but I think if he knew the rubber guard, he would have done better breaking GSP's posture at times. But excellent use of knees on the ground by GSP. I say GSP's next challenge could be John Fitch.

Overall, a descent card.

In other news, it turns out one of my brother's gym mates is on the current season of the Ultimate Fighter. C.B. Dollaway, the first pick for team Rampage. He also does a weekly article for MMAjunkie.com after each episode airs. My brother doesn't know any spoilers though.

Jason Chambers(the dude from Human Weapon) is doing a seminar at the local branch of 10th Planet JiuJitsu and my bro is going to attend. They are also opening a branch of the Lion's Den here too. I might check it out. I just wish there was a place around here I could study catch wrestling though.

Also in super MEGA news.

Fedor vs Sylvia is official

If its under Japanese rules(with Ring and yellow card system) Sylvia has just the punchers chance, but that's about it. Fedor was rocked ONCE by Fujita, Sylvia just needs to reproduce that and he has a shot. However, the site says that the fight is happening in Dallas. I think Sylvia could edge out a decision under Unified rules if he could just keep his distance. This is one of the last real fights Fedor really needs. After this it would be Barnett. I don't care about Couture any more.

catalyst
396th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):The GekigangerV and Catalyst MMA thred" , posted Sun 20 Apr 15:57:post reply

quote:
Serra vs GSP 2 thoughts

Danzig vs Bocheck
-Well, Boceck in comparison to Danzig's competiton on TUF was of course had more credentials with being a BJJ blackbelt and BJJ is Danzig's game, but he showed that devastating knee in round 2 or 3. Danzig just showed he was more of the complete fighter. I think Boceck's other match ups could probably be Alberto Crane.

I think Danzig should fight Diaz or Gamburyan next. I think they're great match ups for him. I thought the gogoplata attempt was really cool, but I think he should have gone for the locoplata instead.

Bisping vs McCarthy
-Bisping really looked small at 185, hell,he was small for a 205 fighter. He lost a lot of mass and his head looked really huge! He showed great submission defense. I think he could have worked the body more, but whatever he did, he won anyway regardless. Although McCarthy was covering up most of the blows(Bisping probably only connected 15-20% of his strikes). Bisping really needs to switch up between the body and legs as targets so he isn't so predictable.

Starnes vs Quarry
-What the fuck was up with Starnes!!?? Why was he running away!? The guy beat Leben and he was chicken to fight Quarry!!?? Starnes seemed to care more about going the distance than really fighting. If I were the ref, I would have warned him that if he kept on running away, I would take a point to the point where I disqualify him.

These are the kind of fights where American MMA needs a yellow card system. Plus, Starnes was in no position to throw the finger like Diaz did against Batman and the 30-24 score card was just different, but understandable at the same time. Nice taunting and Rocky IV speech by Quarry.

Lutter vs Franklin
-Lutter, meh, who gives a rat's ass about him anyway. Yeah, I'll admit he was impressive in taking down Franklin, but I got to give Lutter props for his control and submission attempts in round 1. But crazy arm bar escape by Franklin. This match up gave us another side to Franklin with his submission defense.

But Lutter in round 2 took WAY TOO MUCH punishment and should have been stopped earlier. But a great showing by Franklin. He probably needs to fight Henderson before getting a shot at Silva again.

-GSP Vs Serra 2
Obviously GSP really wanted nothing to do with Serra's stand up. Of course GSP used wrestling instead. Serra for awhile used descent guard game, but I think if he knew the rubber guard, he would have done better breaking GSP's posture at times. But excellent use of knees on the ground by GSP. I say GSP's next challenge could be John Fitch.

Thanks for the insight review dude, right now I'm swamped in work but taking a look at this and the play by plays is really good info

Few things I would like to comment though:
Nate diaz and the batman finger was awesome, it's cocky but man thats awesome but in application to Starnes is a just no. Reading that he was running like an Olympic marathon runner really isn't something to be mad about at the judges for his own fault. I do agree indeed a yellow card would be nice at that point.

Just from personal inquiry, I wonder why GSP does not feel so confident standing with Serra? In my opinion I think he is a superb striker despite his loss to Serra. Pulling off that trade mark super man punch is pretty hard to do I would imagine and we all seen what he has done to matt hughes on several different occasions. Though I won't complain that is a good way to stop Serra.

Looking forward to seeing John Fitch vs GSP as well as a Hendo vs Franklin.

quote:

Overall, a descent card.

In other news, it turns out one of my brother's gym mates is on the current season of the Ultimate Fighter. C.B. Dollaway, the first pick for team Rampage. He also does a weekly article for MMAjunkie.com after each episode airs. My brother doesn't know any spoilers though.

Jason Chambers(the dude from Human Weapon) is doing a seminar at the local branch of 10th Planet JiuJitsu and my bro is going to attend. They are also opening a branch of the Lion's Den here too. I might check it out. I just wish there was a place around here I could study catch wrestling though.

Also in super MEGA news.

Fedor vs Sylvia is official

If its under Japanese rules(with Ring and yellow card system) Sylvia has just the punchers chance, but that's about it. Fedor was rocked ONCE by Fujita, Sylvia just needs to reproduce that and he has a shot. However, the site says that the fight is happening in Dallas. I think Sylvia could edge out a decision under Unified rules if he could just keep his distance. This is one of the last real fights Fedor really needs. After this it would be Barnett. I don't care about Couture any more.

Dude you should totally go if you get the chance to go train with Jason Chambers. You already train with your brother and at the gym plus have the eddie bravo book to help you out that would be great to understand more and help yourself as well! Have fun dude if you can go!

According to the miletich gym in houston, Anderson Silva and Urijah Faber are coming for training sessions and autograph sessions along with Nogueira, Hendo, and Pat Miletich. I would love to sign up for this gym the prices are fair but the schedule doesn't fit well with myself and school.

http://mfshou.com/Announcements/Entries/2008/5/17_Entry_1.html

As for catch wrestling, well hm.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=66757&page=2&highlight=catch+wrestling

Consider the stuff here on this forum I usually visit on consideration of catch wrestling. A few folks on their catch wrestle. In honesty dude? Your pretty good with what you and your brother have in terms of jiujitsu. There is a lot of great information posted on their about catch wrestling and implementation. Not to say Catch wrestling is bad entirely but as as they state it really isn't that great as a grappling base. Keep an open mind is all.

I would love to post more on this forum above but as I've stated it is only a hobby and I don't have all the knowledge necessary to post anything technical as the folks there.

That is awesome to hear that your bro's team mate is on the Ultimate fighter I shall be rooting for him!

As for Fedor and Sylvia I too believe it can go both ways i'm looking forward to seeing Fedor pull a type of take down like Sylvia did to get a submission on him. Couture? man he is just taking forever he has to get out there some how.

Hope that info helps dude.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Sun 20 Apr 16:03]

catalyst
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Geki: check this when your not busy" , posted Wed 23 Apr 11:02post reply

I'm not sure if you or your brother are Shinya aoki fans but I think this might help you out with your BJJ ground game. A nice short instructional on takedowns from the clinch using Judo throws.

I didn't know Shinya did Judo as well as BJJ awesome combination. Enjoy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mv6m_aoki-takedown-from-the-clinch

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1557th Post

"UFC 84 thoughts" , posted Mon 26 May 05:30post reply

quote:
I'm not sure if you or your brother are Shinya aoki fans but I think this might help you out with your BJJ ground game. A nice short instructional on takedowns from the clinch using Judo throws.

I didn't know Shinya did Judo as well as BJJ awesome combination. Enjoy.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1mv6m_aoki-takedown-from-the-clinch

Sorry about not replying earlier, but I enjoyed that video on the take downs.

Now on to UFC 84

Penn vs Sherk

-Well, somewhat exactly as I expected. I was expecting a submission, but Penn wins by TKO instead. This was the MMA version to Ippo vs Miyata. Sherk showed some great agression but really couldn't get on the inside that well. He should have used leg kicks better to score the take down and score up some points. Penn was just landing that jab and busting up his face.

Machida vs Ortiz

-I was impressed with Machida even though some find his style boring. He took down Ortiz and he defended his take downs pretty well. Ortiz showed some descent jiujitsu, but Machida escaped them pretty sick as well.

I can't believe people are comparing Machida to Starnes. Machida was landing the strikes and take down as well as avoiding any real damage. He put on a Karate clinic last night.

Silva vs Jardine
-Jardine probably has to get his jaw re-wired now. I thought he would fight a bit smarter and get through the first round, but the second I saw him rush in I knew it would be over within a minute.

T. Silva vs A. Mendes
-Great fight. Shows that anything can happen in MMA

Gouveia vs that Croation
-Whatever I said about the fight above

I think a good future match up would be Machida vs Wanderlei. I think a good straightforward striker like Wanderlei or Rampage could give Machida the most trouble. They would just need to rush in and cut off the escape. But Machida did pretty well against Franklin, so you never know.

catalyst
413th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):UFC 84 thoughts" , posted Mon 26 May 07:57post reply

It is all good dude, no need to apologize stuff happens.

Silva V. Jardine:
I think there isn't anything to say on this one but the Axe Murderer is back. Flush knockout as always.

Machida V.Ortiz:
Honestly I think the only people that complain about his some what boring style are most likely the raging kegger tapout inexperience fags. For the most part he isn't tim sylvia just using the Jab to victory. It is just a complete mix up with what Machida does with his opponents but remains light on his feet.

For the most part it really seemed that Machida wanted to keep it standing and out point his opponent by not sticking his kick but just letting it land and pulling it back. If it ever were to go to the ground like in round 1, Machida made sure he had a dominant position if that was the case. Nice fight overall!

Penn V. Sherk

Ladies and gentlemen the anti takedown. "The Jab" and lots of good sprawling. Either it was me or I saw tiny bit more head movement from sherk than usual. Awesome mix up with Bj's hands with the knee finish as well.

This song is so true

catalyst
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Bas Rutten in GTA 4" , posted Tue 27 May 15:20:post reply

Here is something you don't see often but this is an excerpt from an article on MMA weekly with Bas Rutten

MMAWeekly: Going outside the IFL now, I understand it that you appear in the new Grand Theft Auto 4 video game. Tell us your thoughts about that and how people are reacting to it.

Bas Rutten: I did all the motion caption for the fighting, actually. So all the highjacking, carjacking and things you see – that’s me. On top of that, I have a TV show called “The Men’s Room with Bas and Jeremy.” So many people have been calling me all the time talking about that.

We had a lot of fun doing it. I have actually people who don’t know me, stopping me and asking me, “Are you the guy from Grand Theft Auto?” They don’t know me from fighting. It did like five-hundred million (dollars) the first week, so you can only imagine how many games they have sold and people have seen me in it.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=6349&zoneid=13

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nSFxxgf64Xc gameplay of his show

Only "El Guapo" Man the guy is a character
awesome guy.

You going to to watch the Elite XC fight for free this Saturday with Kimbo and James Thompson on CBS? I want to watch the WEC Pulver vs Faber but I don't have cable.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Tue 27 May 15:23]

GekigangerV
1559th Post

"Street Fighter ad to air on Elite XC saturday" , posted Thu 29 May 12:17post reply

A way to get more people to look at this thread

I guess I will not be channel surfing during the commercials.

That Bas segement in GTA is bad ass. The man has massive charisma, he could be the modern version of Van Damme if he wished to be. Instead of the slow motion jumping scissor kick we would get the slow motion liver punch.

catalyst
415th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Street Fighter ad to air on Elite XC sa" , posted Thu 29 May 15:24post reply

quote:
A way to get more people to look at this thread

You really just don't pull any punches and just go straight for the gutso on that one huh? Hahah

Any plans to play a drinking game out of it for every replay of the commercial? Every Hadouken counts as a sake bomb?

also I'm not sure if this has been posted but

Cung le ala Marshall Law costume for tekken movie

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1561th Post

"Re(2):Street Fighter ad to air on Elite XC sa" , posted Sat 31 May 16:10post reply

quote:

Cung le ala Marshall Law costume for tekken movie

The costume looks nice, but Le doesn't really look like Law. I wonder what Huerta looks like though.

I got the Round 5 MMA "Rampage" figure at KBs today for about $12.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/rampage1.jpg

And a comparison shot for size sake

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y138/GekiV/rampage2.jpg

He is about 5 and 7/8 inches tall. I don't have any of the old Pride figures, but I think they were taller than that and I thought these figures were going to fit in with those. I saw them once when I was in Japan though, the $40 price tag turned me off.

The articulation is

- neck swivel
- both shoulders go up and down
- swivel in thigh, in the trunks

all of it seems kind of pointless for Rampages specific pose. Maybe it works better for the other fighters though.

The sculpt and paint job is pretty damn good.

nobinobita
362th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Street Fighter ad to air on Elite XC sa" , posted Sat 31 May 17:53post reply

quote:

I got the Round 5 MMA "Rampage" figure at KBs today for about $12.

The sculpt and paint job is pretty damn good.

Wow that figure looks great! Now, what are the odds of me finding Sakuraba at KB Toys?

GekigangerV
1563th Post

"Elite XC result spoilers" , posted Sun 1 Jun 15:04post reply

quote:

Wow that figure looks great! Now, what are the odds of me finding Sakuraba at KB Toys?

None, unless the toy company can sign Sakuraba to do a figure on him.

JON MURPHY VS. BRETT ROGERS
PHIL BARONI VS. JOEY VILLASENOR

Not much to say about the first two fights since they ended so fast. Baroni is near the end of the line. The guy is 10-10 now.

GINA CARANO VS. KAITLIN YOUNG

The first woman's MMA match I have seen and it impressed me, but both could work on their technique. Young could have clinched at times and utilized overhook-underhook. I was surprised to see that they got 3-minute rounds though.

ROBBIE LAWLER VS. SCOTT SMITH

I hated that crowd. It really pissed me off that they acted like that. It was a very good brawling match and well on it's way on being remembered for its display of heart and punching skill. It sucks it was stopped, but you shouldn't tell a doctor you can't see twice. Probably phrase your answer in something like you are recovering your sight or something.

"KIMBO SLICE" VS. JAMES THOMPSON

Thompson showed a good recovery rate considering he has been known to have a weak chin. He was winning that fight on the ground. Even though he was throwing weak punches and elbows at the end of round 2, they went unanswered. Both men were gassed by the end of round 1, but it showed more on Kimbo. That stoppage was bullshit. It's true Thompson was wobbly, but he was in every round before that and was able to get the recovery. The nasty thing on his ear popped, but unless I see a picture where it shows that he was in danger of losing his ear or something I think Thompson could have gotten the take down and gotten the decision.

To me, it looked that they were protecting Kimbo and the second it looked like he was winning they called the fight in his favor.

End of Spoiler

catalyst
417th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Elite XC results & bigblacksecurity.com" , posted Sun 1 Jun 16:03:post reply

Gekiganger you got Aim by any chance? I'd be happy to shoot you my screen name and we shoot the shit on mma, boxing, or whatever!

Cool Rampage figure that you got, much better price than the 40 dollar one you saw in Japan. Nice Ryu and captain america Also! The captain America figure looks similar to my statue except the captain America I have has like a mini cement wall attached to his leg as if he was breaking through one.

Also for the SF 4 commercial: Faith no more, yeah that was quite epic indeed! Even though it wasn't anything new

I didn't know this but the under card fights are completely streaming online as well for Yahoo if I'm not mistaken.

Random rant: And another tidbit, when in the hell was Bruce Lee the father of MMA? Seriously in its own right it is great that his theory upon martial arts was fine but it was just that as a pioneer. I mean hell you might as well call Sambo MMA or don't even forget Pankration. That and he is a movie actor dispelling any BS that flies about him, he was never a fighter just an actor.

By any chance did it feel like you were watching an NBA event? Like CBS college basketball, it felt like that for the presentation.

Onto the fights

Wild Swinging for the win.
Big black security.com and big pun and fat joe's crew too for the knockout.

Baroni, give it up, your just a bodybuilder that is all.

Gina Carano vs Kaitilin Young

Honestly I was rooting for Young due to the fellows on Bullshido actually speak very highly of her. She has fought a member on the board in a professional muay thai match very good striker as she showed tonight and tons and tons of heart. Would of liked her to win despite Gina's imbalance in weight. Not to say that Gina is bad I just wish she would take it seriously. Great overhand right and this is the first in a while i've seen teeps in a MMA fight.

Both pretty girls. I didn't expect Gina to attempt a Gogoplata. I think that is the new craze after what Diaz did to Gomi.

Lawler vs Smith

"Take that CBS!" Surprised they didn't censor the crowd's chanting of "bullshit". Which I agree that has to be only booing on the premature stoppage not on the fight. Seriously I really just think they are just new fans just there to see Kimbo honestly and know nothing of the sport.

Not much to comment here but Wild swinging for the win yet again. I don't know why Smith wasn't listening to his coach telling him to mix in those kicks with punches so they won't be detected instead of throwing them as broad daylight. Great Kick to the liver from Robbie just wish he was adamant on focusing his punches to the liver cause it looked like some major damage going on there.

But for the most part lots of heart and lots of fight, and an eye poke. At first I could of sworn Smith was saying in reiteration of the eye poke everything was okay, then you can see him later desperately trying to bring it together and still say he is fine. I think it was a BS call from the doctor honestly. Though I don't know what to think personally if they were afraid of letting it all hang out for CBS or.. what.

Kimbo vs. Thompson

I'm a thompson fan personally, win or lose. Honestly I thought he was gonna lose tonight but he made me extremely, extremely happy. Well okay i'm exaggerating a tad but he did get somewhat better. For a brief time he did trained at xtreme couture as well. From the submission defense against the guillotine and not doing his traditional gong and dash. Man I was so happy for Thompson.

But that had to single handedly the biggest bullshit stoppage I have ever seen. Elite XC is clearly protecting Kimbo and I clearly think Bas isn't training Kimbo as he should be and just focusing on crisping his striking. The routine i've heard that what Kimbo is focusing on is great on cardio but I'm sure you and your brother can clearly agree that when it comes down to grappling, you better be well conditioned in grappling when your sparring because it is so much more rather than typical anaerobic exercises.

Counting on a minute and 15 seconds about that stoppage should of DEFINITELY occured. Kimbo was not intelligently defending himself and gas prices certainly raised in Kimbo seeing he really was extremely tired. Disappointed too from what I could tell on his expression.

End of Spoiler

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Sun 1 Jun 16:19]

Juke Joint Jezebel
3624th Post

"Re(1):Elite XC result spoilers" , posted Sun 1 Jun 16:34post reply

dunno what to think of Elite XC yet. some fights were awesome, others were ok. everyone could've had better conditioning. completely exhausted after 1-2 rounds? maybe i'm expecting too much. the whole thing kinda reminds me of watching the IFL

the chicks were an awesome fight. so was the Kimbo and Thompson one, although i completely agree with the protection thing you mentioned, Geki. and yeah the audience booing during Lawler vs Smith wtf?

catalyst
418th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Elite XC result spoilers" , posted Sun 1 Jun 16:55:post reply

quote:
dunno what to think of Elite XC yet. some fights were awesome, others were ok. everyone could've had better conditioning. completely exhausted after 1-2 rounds? maybe i'm expecting too much. the whole thing kinda reminds me of watching the IFL

the chicks were an awesome fight. so was the Kimbo and Thompson one, although i completely agree with the protection thing you mentioned, Geki. and yeah the audience booing during Lawler vs Smith wtf?

No man your completely right, the conditioning is absolute crap with what the fighters had. I came in with somewhat half positive expectations and I got a little bit of that response back. The talent pool just isn't that great in Elite XC honestly.

Thankfully we have the WEC today on the Versus network to make up for it.

This song is so true

[this message was edited by catalyst on Sun 1 Jun 17:08]

Juke Joint Jezebel
3625th Post

"Re(3):Elite XC result spoilers" , posted Sun 1 Jun 18:11post reply

oh and some extra stuff

quote:
SF4 commercial

very cool. old footage for us but i love seeing videogame commercials that aren't some random fps or GTA. and Faith No More? let's just say, i filled the cup

quote:
By any chance did it feel like you were watching an NBA event?

ahaha it felt the same for me too. didn't bother me though. it usually disgusts me when things i love go mainstream. but with mma heading that direction (or maybe already there), it just means more fights i can watch 8)

quote:
Carano vs Young

i guess watching this was extra exciting for me because Juan showed me this yesterday. the Command and Conquer shirt she wore during the fight was a lovely touch

catalyst
418th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Elite XC result spoilers" , posted Mon 2 Jun 01:12post reply

quote:

SF4 commercial
very cool. old footage for us but i love seeing videogame commercials that aren't some random fps or GTA. and Faith No More? let's just say, i filled the cup

Hell yeah dude, hell freaking yeah. God I counted like 9 or so hadoukens? I bitched out on the last 3 and couldn't hang. Had to be sober on the drive home.

quote:

By any chance did it feel like you were watching an NBA event?
ahaha it felt the same for me too. didn't bother me though. it usually disgusts me when things i love go mainstream. but with mma heading that direction (or maybe already there), it just means more fights i can watch 8)

Yeah I mean it wasn't bad it had it's little things here and there which was weird but for the most part it was okay. I definitely agree more fights the better.

quote:

Carano vs Young
i guess watching this was extra exciting for me because Juan showed me this yesterday. the Command and Conquer shirt she wore during the fight was a lovely touch

She's cute, Gina that is, I just didn't expect her to have kind of that valley girl sounding talk after her fight. Or would be totally amped up in some form or fashion. Hell I can't say more than that really, more like my face getting grinded by a fist really.

Feels kinda like this (sorry for the crappy quality) for any guy.

This song is so true

GekigangerV
1568th Post

"UFC to have JUly 19th event" , posted Wed 18 Jun 12:33post reply

This is to go head-to-head against Affliction's card.

Link Here

Anderson Silva headlines against James Irvin at 205.
I can't see if Silva dropped the middleweight title or what. It feels weird having a champion fight on an Ultimate Fight Night Card.

Also on the card is a re-signed Jake O'Brien vs Cain Velasquez. UFC is really trying to patch together a card. I have a feeling that only given a month we won't see top notch quality fights

Brandon Vera is also moving to 205 against Reese Andy.

I am still going to watch Affliction, but I'll DVR this.

GekigangerV
1577th Post

"Jackson Vs Griffin thoughts" , posted Mon 7 Jul 04:43post reply

Tyson Griffin vs. Marcus Aurelio

Nice fight. I thought Griffin would take it to decision. Hopefully a title fight is in his future.

Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle

I don't know why it wasn't stopped in the second round as Lytle was bloodied and was not getting any defense or offense in whatsoever. It was kind of cool that the blood formed a kind of TDK Joker smile. I thought the second round was the example of a 10-8 round, but one of the judges didn't score it that way. The scores were 30-26, 29-27, and 30-28. I guess that judge that gave it 30-28 thought that the first round was ever. I thought it was in Lytle's favor to be honest. Koscheck has shown a lot of improvement, but one has to wonder if he can ever take on GSP after his last attempt.

Patrick Cote vs. Ricardo Almeida

Not an exciting fight, but both fighters were waiting too long to initiate their plans. Cote will get annihilated by Silva if he brings that kind of game.

Quinton Jackson Vs. Forrest Griffin

I am of course disappointed that Rampage lost, but Xtreme Couture knows how to make game plans. You could also see the Wanderlei influence on Griffin's stand up. Under Pride judging, this fight obviously was in Griffin's favor as he tried to finish the fight and was the most active, but under the 10 point system rounds 3-5 could have swung either way depending on how you look at it.

Although Griffin was active in rounds 3-5, he didn't land much while Rampage only threw a fourth of the punches, but was more accurate and landed the more effective blows. Griffin obviously won round 2, but I don't think it was 10-8 like some people are saying. Koscheck/Lytle round 2 was 10-8 and the criteria for a 10-8 should be based on that kind of circumstance. Although Rampage was seriously hurt by the leg kicks, when the fight went to the ground Griffin didn't do much damage with the ground and pound and there was an Americana submission attempt that Rampage was able to escape. I think Rounds 1 and 4 went to Rampage, 2 and 5 to Griffin and 3 was a Draw as nobody did much. So I scored it a draw.

I am surprised that Griffin just backed off in Round 3 and didn't try more leg kicks. I was also surprised that Rampage wasn't able to check those leg kicks effectively. He only took about 7-8 before he got messed up.

If there is justice in the world Lyoto Machida should be the next challenger, followed by the winner of Chuck/Rashad followed by the winner of Wanderlei/Rampage III.

Griffin's chin is still suspect as he was knocked down rather easily by Rampage's punches so I think he will have a hard time keeping the belt if Machida and Chuck are the next challengers.

GekigangerV
1579th Post

"Fedor is still the best" , posted Mon 21 Jul 07:32post reply

I ordered Affliction last night and thought it was a good card. I was impressed by Barnett's improved stand up. I was a bit disappointed he didn't come out to "Ai Wo Torimodose." Andrei looked pretty impressive himself.

Fedor destroyed Tim. Kind of feel bad for Tim since he probably only has a handful of possible of match ups that he can have, but never get to the top again. I was surprised that Randy would be in the ring and be interviewed since he is still under UFC contract. Hopefully Fedor/Randy happens by the end of the year.

WAMMA's belt is not very cool. It seems a bit too 80's in design.

I tried to watch the UFC event at the same time, but decided to stick with Affliction. Silva destroyed Irvin which hopefully means Silva is already a title contender. I think the UFC wants Silva to move up so Bisping can get the belt. They are really pushing him through the roof.

catalyst
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Fedor is just god. Geki question to you also." , posted Mon 21 Jul 12:17post reply

I'll give a prompt review on the UFC fight night when I get the chance to join in. But then again I thought the fights were pretty all cleanly decided except for the Kevin Burns Anthony fight. I thought Kevin should of been disqualified for the whole wing tsun eye jabbing or RBSD eye poking he has going for him. Much class to Anthony though in his post speech though.

What's got me bothered is.. how in the hell do you break your hand 3 times in a 16 month period? You have to be seriously seriously training stupid or to a point that causes that. I know that fedor fought with a broken hand against crocop but at that point he knew no more fights until that hand is healed up.

All I have to say is awesome great work for your team mate CB pulling that peruvian necktie. Rory Markham still doesn't fail to disappoint with his clean knockouts. Silva just has another day in the office haha.

As for the affliction event, I was really rooting for Arlovski and I'm glad training with him and Joe roach went smoothly. I need to search for uploaded videos for the rest of the fights.

Fedor > chuck norris. I don't see where people keep saying Tim Sylvia was going to be such a big problem for Fedor honestly. I thought it was going to be a clean sweep for him and as for the hands and striker debate, Fedor fought Mark Hunt who used to be a very good k-1 striker, if not better than Tim.

But onto the question: Hey by any chance did you want a copy of Randy coutures book "wrestling for fighting" the natural way in PDF format, I can send it to you whenever.

This song is so true