For the Chilean members of the board... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2012 Views )

ZamIAm
1624th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"For the Chilean members of the board..." , posted Mon 2 Jul 10:03post reply

I'd rather ask than get it wrong: locally, how would someone say "Bring it on!" or "Let's go!" (as opposed to spanish from Spain or Mexico)?

Replies:

Toxico
4272th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):For the Chilean members of the board..." , posted Mon 2 Jul 14:09:post reply

quote:
I'd rather ask than get it wrong: locally, how would someone say "Bring it on!" or "Let's go!" (as opposed to spanish from Spain or Mexico)?

Well, bring it on it's not widely used here...

Not rude... that could "dale" that would be better translated as "go ahead", but must sound threatening.

More rude could be... "ven pa ca" that would be a commonly mis-spelling for "come over here", but it sounds better if you curse at the end.

The character won't sound as someone from chile, if he doesn't oftenly curse and swear cursing has become so common in this country, that some curses even has friendly connotations.

[this message was edited by Toxico on Mon 2 Jul 14:12]

ZamIAm
1625th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):For the Chilean members of the board..." , posted Mon 2 Jul 20:00post reply

quote:

Not rude... that could "dale" that would be better translated as "go ahead", but must sound threatening.

More rude could be... "ven pa ca" that would be a commonly mis-spelling for "come over here", but it sounds better if you curse at the end.

The character won't sound as someone from chile, if he doesn't oftenly curse and swear cursing has become so common in this country, that some curses even has friendly connotations.

Hmm... I'll have to see. Technically, it was for the back of a character's jacket so maybe dale will get used. Character quotes will primarily be in english with a few interjections here and there in various parent languages. While language will be kept relatively clean, ven pa ca can still make it in if the the curse words are censored. I'm also wondering what "number one" and "unstoppable" would be.

Makondo99
356th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):For the Chilean members of the board..." , posted Tue 3 Jul 00:51post reply

This is rather difficult, but let me try:

*"Bring it on!" = I agree with Toxico's suggestion "ˇVen pa ca!" + random swear word

*"Let's go!" = "ˇDemosle!". We Chileans have a tendency to drop our "s" so it'd really sounds like "ˇDe'mole! or ˇDeh-mole!"

*"number one" = "La llevo" (if talking about him/herself) "La lleva" (if taking about someone else). "Bacan" could also be used.

*"unstoppable" = mmm. "El/la ma' bacan" (slang). "imparable" (proper translation, but we'd use other words depending on the context)

Descarta

Oroch
964th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):For the Chilean members of the board..." , posted Tue 3 Jul 04:54post reply

quote:

you're too sober, start drinking more

Juan
4394th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"not good at dodge ball" , posted Tue 3 Jul 05:13post reply

quote:

Take note that Toxico's real name is Karman Cole and is from Germany. You are being deceived!

ok

ZamIAm
1640th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(1):not good at dodge ball" , posted Sun 8 Jul 23:56post reply

Still pondering the translations but I do have a seperate question, what hairstyles are common? I originally had my character with DBZ hair to represent his fire abilities but I'm thinking of making it something low cut and occassionally Ghost Rider-ing flames from his head.

Makondo99
357th Post

Silver Customer

"Raros Peinados Nuevos" , posted Mon 9 Jul 00:40post reply

Chilean Hairdos:
I SWEAR I FOUND IT BY ACCIDENT

Descarta

Hagen de Merak
956th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):not good at dodge ball" , posted Mon 9 Jul 04:56post reply

quote:
Still pondering the translations but I do have a seperate question, what hairstyles are common? I originally had my character with DBZ hair to represent his fire abilities but I'm thinking of making it something low cut and occassionally Ghost Rider-ing flames from his head.

If you ever ever need a common Mexican hairstyle, go with the mullet, it never gets old over there.

The Droogo
270th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Raros Peinados Nuevos" , posted Sun 15 Jul 15:06post reply

quote:
Chilean Hairdos:
I SWEAR I FOUND IT BY ACCIDENT

I remember Toxico´s hair when I went to Chile like 4 years ago
[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgdLVevcK3E]

O ra o ra!
H.Y.A.L.M.A.R.I.