WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2962 Views )

GekigangerV
1366th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 07:16post reply

Link Here

If this is true, then a true legend has been lost.

This better not be some sick storyline.

Replies:

Undead Fred
2877th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 07:56post reply

quote:
Link Here

He and his family were found dead, and it's listed on a wrestling site? Smells like storyline to me.

Gojira
2167th Post

"Re(2):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 08:10post reply

quote:
Link Here

He and his family were found dead, and it's listed on a wrestling site? Smells like storyline to me.

Doesn't look like a hoax.

Goddamn I'm pissed and sad at the same time. Benoit was one of my favorite wrestlers in any promotion, ever. It's even worse to hear his whole family is dead.

crazymike
1328th Post

"Re(3):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 08:40post reply

This is really awful, one of my fond memories is Chris Benoit coming out to a rural zoo sanctuary only a mile down the street from my house where I got his autograph.

Undead Fred
2878th Post

"Re(3):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 08:41post reply

quote:

Goddamn I'm pissed and sad at the same time. Benoit was one of my favorite wrestlers in any promotion, ever. It's even worse to hear his whole family is dead.

I don't know... that's still not from an unbiased source. The fact that his whole family is supposed to be dead with him is what's making me doubt it... unless it's some sort of murder-suicide thing. Aren't they doing some sort of murder drama thing right now anyway? Didn't the manager supposedly get blown up or something?

Gojira
2169th Post

"Re(4):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 09:04:post reply

quote:

I don't know... that's still not from an unbiased source. The fact that his whole family is supposed to be dead with him is what's making me doubt it... unless it's some sort of murder-suicide thing. Aren't they doing some sort of murder drama thing right now anyway? Didn't the manager supposedly get blown up or something?

In light of recent deaths they are scrapping that storyline.

http://www.tmz.com/2007/06/25/wrestling-superstar-found-dead/

Also the news of Benoit was posted on several sites before the WWE.com made any formal announcements.

Unbiased source

[this message was edited by Gojira on Tue 26 Jun 09:10]

Freeter
4386th Post

"Re(1):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 09:13post reply

Damn, I don't even watch WWE and I know who Benoit is. Terrible.

This better be the work of some crazed fan and not someone in the family.

Abster
321th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 09:37post reply

I've been a fan of Benoit since I saw him in WCW feuding with Kevin Sullivan. He's easily one of the best performers I've seen in modern wrestling. The fact his wife and kid are also dead makes this unspeakably heartbreaking.

Baines
193th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 09:53post reply

quote:

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/metro/fayette/stories/2007/06/25/0625benoit.html

Vince McMahon was recently "killed" in an obviously over-the-top storyline where his limo was blown up at the end of an episode but no body was found.

The WWE has already drawn complaint for the "death of Vince" storyline because Sherri Martel (Sensational Sherri) was found dead not too long afterwards. They've also drawn heat for the on-air "memorials" for Vince being made to match real memorials for people like Owen Hart, Eddie Guererro, and others.

As for murder-suicide, the link above says no one was shot to death. That doesn't rule out a murder-suicide, but might make it more unlikely. Though at the same time, it also rules out the most obvious external reason as well.

Catalyst
231th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 10:23:post reply

Despite being in MMA and in Muay thai, I used to watch him growing up and it kept me into watching professional wrestling for a while for his own athleticism.

It really is sad seeing such a person with great heart and intensity in his actions for the love his work leave shortly just as his wife and child left shortly as well. Much Condolences.

edit:
Just now one of my friends sent me the link to the WWE website and apparently it is a double murder suicide on the headline. http://www.wwe.com/

Maybe I should take back what I said and reserve condolences for just the son and wife.

Tracking Treasure Down - Gabriel and Dresden

[this message was edited by Catalyst on Tue 26 Jun 12:13]

Iron D
2717th Post

"Re(2):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Tue 26 Jun 18:16post reply

While I recall there being some casual fans here on this board, I'm still surprised to see this story here.

If it is indeed a double murder suicide (which the authorities are currently saying it is), I would be shocked, but my respect for Benoit remains. He really put on a show every time he stepped in the ring, and murderer or not, I've heard nothing but good things about his outside the ring true self (except the whole stealing Kevin Sullivan's wife thing...that's kind of messed up).

R.I.P. Chris Benoit. One of my all time favorite wrestlers.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Variable Savior
395th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Wed 27 Jun 06:59post reply

quote:

If it is indeed a double murder suicide (which the authorities are currently saying it is), I would be shocked, but my respect for Benoit remains. He really put on a show every time he stepped in the ring, and murderer or not, I've heard nothing but good things about his outside the ring true self (except the whole stealing Kevin Sullivan's wife thing...that's kind of messed up).

Ummmm.... if this is true he freakin' murdered his own seven year old son. People that kill children deserve ZERO FUCKING RESPECT

Blood marks heaven's path

Catalyst
231th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Wed 27 Jun 07:06post reply

quote:

Ummmm.... if this is true he freakin' murdered his own seven year old son. People that kill children deserve ZERO FUCKING RESPECT

I have to stand with variable on this one, just cause his track record proves him to be great this gives no excuse to taking the life of his wife or son. It is just completely illogical.

Tracking Treasure Down - Gabriel and Dresden

Freeter
4387th Post

"Re(3):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Wed 27 Jun 09:29post reply

quote:
If it is indeed a double murder suicide (which the authorities are currently saying it is), I would be shocked, but my respect for Benoit remains.

Seriously? I'd condemn him for dealing with his problems in the worst possible manner. No matter how entertaining he may be, murder is unforgivable.

D`Cloud
156th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Wed 27 Jun 11:14post reply

quote:

theres nothing wrong with judging early but lets wait for the autopsy

http://www.dustinuy.com

Gojira
2169th Post

"Re(5):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Wed 27 Jun 17:58post reply

If indeed that's what happened, what he did was wrong. There's no doubt about that.

Even so, my comment stays as it is... nothing I said is changed by this. The spirit that he showed in his ring performances is the one that stays in my memory, not the broken image of a terrible child-killing maniac. If I could seperate that from the man himself, and detach it from this criminal act as though it were completely unrelated, I would.

Iron D
2718th Post

"Re(5):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Wed 27 Jun 19:14post reply

Variable, Catalyst, and Freeter: let me rephrase what I said. Benoit the person is a killer, but that does not diminish my repsect for Benoit the wrestler. Yes, it's the same person, but the fact that he killed his wife and son does not diminish his work in the ring.

I'd be lying if I could say that from now on when I watch a Benoit match I won't be saying: "man, this guy would go on to kill his wife and son," but he busted his ass in the ring, and in the end it's what he did in the ring that made me care about him at all. I feel for the families of the Benoits, and again, this guy was obviously f'ed up to do what he did, but I'll miss sane, wrestling god Benoit all the same. Yes, he killed two innocent people, but he is still one of the hardest working wrestlers the business had ever seen. I respect that aspect of him. Obviously I don't respect the killing of innocents.

And I could say this about anyone whose works I enjoy. If Shigeru Miyamato one day killed a kid, I'd still enjoy his games and would still call him a game designing genius.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Catalyst
232th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Wed 27 Jun 22:13post reply

quote:
Variable, Catalyst, and Freeter: let me rephrase what I said. Benoit the person is a killer, but that does not diminish my repsect for Benoit the wrestler. Yes, it's the same person, but the fact that he killed his wife and son does not diminish his work in the ring.

I'd be lying if I could say that from now on when I watch a Benoit match I won't be saying: "man, this guy would go on to kill his wife and son," but he busted his ass in the ring, and in the end it's what he did in the ring that made me care about him at all. I feel for the families of the Benoits, and again, this guy was obviously f'ed up to do what he did, but I'll miss sane, wrestling god Benoit all the same. Yes, he killed two innocent people, but he is still one of the hardest working wrestlers the business had ever seen. I respect that aspect of him. Obviously I don't respect the killing of innocents.

And I could say this about anyone whose works I enjoy. If Shigeru Miyamato one day killed a kid, I'd still enjoy his games and would still call him a game designing genius.

Well, thats fine I won't argue because of choice of different people and that is completely fine. I suppose I should reiterate as well because I personally still don't agree.

I find it insulting because with the praise a person gives for outstanding achievements in such and such field along with his professionalism outside of work towards us fans, then that event occurs, what should I think? Feels like a slap in the face after saying positive things then hearing that you know?

Honestly it feels like a double standard giving him a leg up just cause his hard work at his job.

Gackt - Returner

EddyT
587th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Wed 27 Jun 23:37:post reply

I remember watching this guy wrestle. It's bizarre to hear what happened to him and his family... all I can really say is that it makes for another black eye for that side of the entertainment business.

I dunno... it's pretty obvious that a majority of these guys take drugs to enhance their bodies and they are out on the road for extremely long periods of time, with their bodies taking a beating in the process. Something has got to give, mentally or physically. WWE should really be concerned about cleaning up their act, especially if it's confirmed that steroids played a part in the murder/suicide.

I agree that the murder of the wife & child is difficult to look past... and it does tarnish his work as an individual IMO. It's similar to having difficulty watching Michael Richards on old Seinfeld re-runs after watching his racist tirade. How can you look at the person the same after they do something so despicable?

[this message was edited by EddyT on Wed 27 Jun 23:42]

Iron D
2719th Post

"Re(7):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Thu 28 Jun 10:03post reply

quote:

Well, thats fine I won't argue because of choice of different people and that is completely fine. I suppose I should reiterate as well because I personally still don't agree.

I find it insulting because with the praise a person gives for outstanding achievements in such and such field along with his professionalism outside of work towards us fans, then that event occurs, what should I think? Feels like a slap in the face after saying positive things then hearing that you know?

Honestly it feels like a double standard giving him a leg up just cause his hard work at his job.

I fail to see how I'm giving Benoit a "leg up". His killing his wife and son doesn't suddenly make him a crappy wrestler. Time didn't warp and suddenly all of his matches are utter crap. It's a simple concept: his work in the ring is good, no matter what he did outside the ring.

How is that giving him a leg up? If he were alive, but had still killed his wife and kid, I'd say he should be punished to the full extent of the law. His work in the ring wouldn't condone his actions.

I could give another example: Hitler. One of the worst human beings that ever lived. Responsible for the lives of millions. But if one were to say that Hitler wasn't charismatic and a great speaker, they'd be lying. He was charismatic and a great speaker, which is how he came to power in the first place. Doesn't make him any less of a twisted piece of crap, but the fact remains: he was good at what he did.

Zelkin. Pimped.

Undead Fred
2880th Post

"Re(8):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Thu 28 Jun 11:04post reply

quote:
I could give another example: Hitler. One of the worst human beings that ever lived. Responsible for the lives of millions. But if one were to say that Hitler wasn't charismatic and a great speaker, they'd be lying. He was charismatic and a great speaker, which is how he came to power in the first place. Doesn't make him any less of a twisted piece of crap, but the fact remains: he was good at what he did.

Heh heh. I opened this thread up to see what was going on in it, and as I read, somehow I knew Michael Richards and Hitler were gonna come up.

I think the issue people are having was that you were basically saying, "Yeah, yeah, he killed a baby and some girl, but he did a really great job pretending to fight someone on TV." Bodybuilding is hard work, and wrestlers do have to exert themselves in front of an audience, so I'm not saying they don't work hard. But come on, man... he killed his wife, their child, and then himself. Just seems like that kind of thing would affect fans' respect for him.

crazymike
1329th Post

"Re(9):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Thu 28 Jun 11:33post reply

I want to mention that some details came out that showed Benoit had been acting strange the entire last year, getting paranoid, thinking people were out to get him, etc.

It doesn't excuse what he did, but I think mental illness played more of a part than him being just a violent asshole who beat his family and killed them out of lust.

I am curious to know if he was on any anti-depressants.

Catalyst
233th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Thu 28 Jun 12:57post reply

quote:

I fail to see how I'm giving Benoit a "leg up". His killing his wife and son doesn't suddenly make him a crappy wrestler. Time didn't warp and suddenly all of his matches are utter crap. It's a simple concept: his work in the ring is good, no matter what he did outside the ring.

How is that giving him a leg up? If he were alive, but had still killed his wife and kid, I'd say he should be punished to the full extent of the law. His work in the ring wouldn't condone his actions.

I suppose I wasn't clear enough but what I meant as in leg up as in his wrestling background
supersedes his current actions taking place.

I do apologize if you did take offense to that from the tone your giving off. I look at it this way and its my opinion of course, you could do so many great things but the moment you pull something illogical as that? What does it matter if I could do 1000 squats or lift someone 50 times bigger than me. I'm still a blatant idiot for doing what I just did and that will stand. Just like now matter of fact with peeving you off and coming off as an asshat! haha!

Again I do apologize if I offended you for wrong choice of words for unclear speaking.

quote:
I think the issue people are having was that you were basically saying, "Yeah, yeah, he killed a baby and some girl, but he did a really great job pretending to fight someone on TV." Bodybuilding is hard work, and wrestlers do have to exert themselves in front of an audience, so I'm not saying they don't work hard. But come on, man... he killed his wife, their child, and then himself. Just seems like that kind of thing would affect fans' respect for him.

Fred just put it best right there.

Gackt - Returner

sabo10
1402th Post

"Re(9):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Thu 28 Jun 22:16post reply

死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい死にたい

Iron D
2721th Post

"Re(9):WWE Superstar Chris Benoit found dead" , posted Thu 28 Jun 23:16:post reply

quote:

So what I'm getting here is that some of the members here think I'm making light of Benoit being a murderer just because I'm stating that he was a great wrestler, murderer or not? That's not the case.

My saying that "he's a murderer, but he still put on some of the best matches I've ever seen" is not making light of his being a murderer. BENOIT IS A MURDERER! I know it as well as anyone else does. I'm not ignoring or making light of that fact.

What I am saying is that Benoit still was behind some of my favorite moments in wrestling. And yes, my opinion of him IS affected by his being a murderer. I don't respect him as a human being like I used to, and whenever I see a Benoit match from now on I'll have the fact that the man performing in the ring would eventually kill his family in the back of my head. My admitting that he was still a good wrestler has nothing to do with my opinion on his being a murderer.

Basically, one of the greatest wrestlers ever turned out to be a murderer at the end of his life, and that sucks.

Oh, and to Catalyst, no need to apologize. I thought we were debating, not arguing. I'm not angry here and I'm sorry if I came off that way. I'm simply trying to get my point across.

Er.....

[this message was edited by Iron D on Thu 28 Jun 23:21]

ZamIAm
1622th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Conspiracy theory..." , posted Fri 29 Jun 09:46post reply

New development: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/19468182/?GT1=10056

Undead Fred
2885th Post

"Re(1):Conspiracy theory..." , posted Fri 29 Jun 12:21post reply

quote:

I wonder if he posted that himself?

Iron D
2722th Post

"Re(2):Conspiracy theory..." , posted Fri 29 Jun 15:52post reply

quote:

That's freaking scary. It wasn't likely that Benoit posted that, since he wasn't in Stamford at the time that the editing to the wikipedia page was from. At least according to the timeline that news outlets are giving as to Benoit's final days.

Er.....

Baines
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Conspiracy theory..." , posted Sat 30 Jun 08:13post reply

quote:

That's freaking scary. It wasn't likely that Benoit posted that, since he wasn't in Stamford at the time that the editing to the wikipedia page was from. At least according to the timeline that news outlets are giving as to Benoit's final days.

The Wikipedia entry? The guy that made the entry has been verified. As for how he knew? He didn't. Apparently he has a habit of making ridiculous posts to Wikipedia. He just happened to hit something close this time, and got caught up in a murder investigation.

Catalyst
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Conspiracy theory..." , posted Sat 30 Jun 08:19post reply

A "well I'll be damned" moment how bout them apples?

Odd situation indeed!

Gackt - Returner