arcade sticks, 8 button layouts - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3344 Views )

crazymike
1327th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"arcade sticks, 8 button layouts" , posted Mon 25 Jun 00:48post reply

Time for my random bitching of the week.

Anyone get annoyed by home arcade sticks like the that have 8 buttons for the layout?

Example

I mean whose bright idea is this anyway? I find the extra buttons easy to hit and when I am playing emulators on Xbox with my SF:AC stick for example, the black and white buttons are tied to these so I find myself hitting them accidentally and exiting back out to the menu.

What purpose is there for having these buttons located where they are? If you are a fighting prude I find it rather cheesy to use as an easy macro for pushing 3 buttons at once anyway.

Replies:

Spoon
1401th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):arcade sticks, 8 button layouts" , posted Mon 25 Jun 04:19post reply

quote:
Time for my random bitching of the week.

Anyone get annoyed by home arcade sticks like the that have 8 buttons for the layout?

Example

I mean whose bright idea is this anyway? I find the extra buttons easy to hit and when I am playing emulators on Xbox with my SF:AC stick for example, the black and white buttons are tied to these so I find myself hitting them accidentally and exiting back out to the menu.

What purpose is there for having these buttons located where they are? If you are a fighting prude I find it rather cheesy to use as an easy macro for pushing 3 buttons at once anyway.

The extra two buttons are very useful when the leftmost buttons get messed up in the middle of a gaming session. While such a thing sounds unlikely and random, it has happened sufficiently to my friends. I don't have any problem with them being there; I just bind them to nothing.

Extra buttons can be a good thing, too. A true GG button layout only has 5 buttons... so when playing with a 2x3 layout, I usually just bind the extra button to taunt, since many joysticks have the start/select buttons placed such that they are hard to hit.

hikarutilmitt
417th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):arcade sticks, 8 button layouts" , posted Mon 25 Jun 04:48post reply

It also gives you more freedom to set the buttons up in whatever positions you want. You can have a Versus City button setup for VF, a 6-button for SF, a 5-button for GGXX, whatever. Plus some people prefer to use the buttons closer to the stick, and others, like myself, further away.

Juke Joint Jezebel
3568th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):arcade sticks, 8 button layouts" , posted Mon 25 Jun 14:36post reply

it sucks hitting the extra two buttons in games like Street Fighter. i hate it when i "get lost" in the joystick, and i'm constantly hitting fierces when i want mediums, or something like that. but the setup is lovely for King of Fighters, where ABCD can be done completely horizontal, like the arcade setup i'm used to. i wish i had the luxury to own a stick where i could easily block out the buttons i don't need, like that HORI stick

Ishmael
2862th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(4):arcade sticks, 8 button layouts" , posted Tue 26 Jun 00:22post reply

Even with the giant meat hooks I call hands I don't find myself hitting the wrong buttons on my controller. Personally I like how many different configuration options a player can get out of a more utilitarian controller instead of an idiotically specific controller like the PS2 Neo Geo stick. That, or I'm just cheap.

HAYATO
790th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):arcade sticks, 8 button layouts" , posted Tue 26 Jun 13:47:post reply

quote:
Even with the giant meat hooks I call hands I don't find myself hitting the wrong buttons on my controller. Personally I like how many different configuration options a player can get out of a more utilitarian controller instead of an idiotically specific controller like the PS2 Neo Geo stick. That, or I'm just cheap.

BTW, did anyone test Hori's Real Arcade Pro 3 for PS3? I'm having a hard time to get the PS2 version and, since I'm planning to connect it to my PC instead of my console, I don't mind about the socket compatibility (as long as it can be plugged to my PC via PS3 adapter, iff such a thing exists already). Any info about those issues would be appreciated...

Edit: Oops... I forgot that HRAP 3 uses a standard USB port. But, does anyone know whether any specific driver is needed to use it on PC?

[this message was edited by HAYATO on Wed 27 Jun 14:11]