Soul Calibur 4 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3728 Views )

Ishmael
2850th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 13 Jun 22:11post reply

Linked from 1Up. The video consists of little more than Ivy and Mitsurugi vouging and then the announcement/warning that SC4 is coming. Hopefully more news will be coming soon.

Replies:

Maou
1122th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 14 Jun 10:20post reply

Exciting! Thanks for the word, I was just wondering when this was going to surface. I really hope they can revive the series after all of SC3's crimes while still keeping it fresh, given that the best thing about 2 was that it was basically the same as 1 but prettier and with Talim (both excellent things, but...).

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

hikarutilmitt
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 14 Jun 13:56post reply

Not that I'm specifically paying attention, but is it just me or do Ivy's breasts get larger each game? And not by small amounts, by 2 cup sizes each.

NARUTO
3551th Post

"Re(3):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 14 Jun 17:09post reply

quote:
Not that I'm specifically paying attention, but is it just me or do Ivy's breasts get larger each game? And not by small amounts, by 2 cup sizes each.

yup, it seems so....In SC 6 she won't be able to stand still, and will automaticaly fall down...

As for the game sI wiosh they can get rid of all the SC3 foolishnes of this stupid character creation and story mode of crap, and just focus to make this a good game like SC1 was...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

E5150
113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 14 Jun 21:05post reply

pics from the video

Has someone else the Soul Edge now?

Just a Person
911th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(5):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 14 Jun 23:17post reply

quote:
pics from the video

Has someone else the Soul Edge now?

Damn! These pics look amazing! Namco definitely knows how to make a great impression with each new SC...

I don't know who has the Soul Edge now, but SC4 will probably explain it (unless you're talking about the Soul Edge game; I don't have it, but its arcade is still quite popular in my city).

Oh, and while Xbox 360 and PS3 are getting SC4, Wii will get Soul Calibur Legends! Yeah, all of you probably already knew that, but the pictures in this link are quite nice. Looks like SC3 graphic-wise, but seems to be a very interesting game...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Ishmael
2851th Post

"Re(6):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 15 Jun 01:02post reply

quote:

Oh, and while Xbox 360 and PS3 are getting SC4, Wii will get Soul Calibur Legends! Yeah, all of you probably already knew that, but the pictures in this link are quite nice. Looks like SC3 graphic-wise, but seems to be a very interesting game...

Taki! Hmm, it also looks as if someone either made a plus sized version of Astaroth or Siegfried shrank.

GekigangerV
1358th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 15 Jun 01:22post reply

My Japanese has gotten a little sloppy, but if I am reading that right it says that Soul Calibur Legends will have three playable characters.

And Siegfried is on 16?

Olivier Hague
92th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(8):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 15 Jun 08:32:post reply

quote:
My Japanese has gotten a little sloppy, but if I am reading that right it says that Soul Calibur Legends will have three playable characters.

Actually, it says it's going to be a third-person game. And they unveiled three playable characters, but there will be more.

quote:
And Siegfried is on 16?

The game takes place right after the events of "Soul Edge".
Yeah, the characters look like they did in "Soul Calibur III", a game that takes place 7 years after "Soul Edge". No, it doesn't make much sense.

[this message was edited by Olivier Hague on Fri 15 Jun 08:34]

Just a Person
912th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(9):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 15 Jun 08:40post reply

quote:
And Siegfried is on 16?
The game takes place right after the events of "Soul Edge".
Yeah, the characters look like they did in "Soul Calibur III", a game that takes place 7 years after "Soul Edge". No, it doesn't make much sense.

Taki seems to be in her Soul Edge outfit, though. That, or her SCII one, but with a mask.

Still about Taki... maybe it's just my impression, but I think the comment about Ivy's breasts getting bigger from game to game applies to her as well... Although Taki at least covers herself a little more.

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Ecchi
153th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 15 Jun 10:09post reply

quote:

Taki seems to be in her Soul Edge outfit, though. That, or her SCII one, but with a mask.

Still about Taki... maybe it's just my impression, but I think the comment about Ivy's breasts getting bigger from game to game applies to her as well... Although Taki at least covers herself a little more.

It's Taki's default Color Edit 1 costume from SCIII. As for Ivy's breasts, they're bigger than her head! Perhaps they've been possessed by fragments of Soul Edge?

GAME OVER?? But I beat the game!

Pollyanna
2247th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 15 Jun 12:40post reply

I didn't even notice the breasts. I was completely focused on her MAN JAW.

Maou
1125th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 15 Jun 13:43post reply

quote:

True, outfit intriguing jawline disturbing. Then again, remember the hideous SC 2 CG art that contrasted so badly with the really wonderfully excellent in-game art and hand-drawn art?

hikarutilmitt
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 15 Jun 16:22post reply

quote:
True, outfit intriguing jawline disturbing. Then again, remember the hideous SC 2 CG art that contrasted so badly with the really wonderfully excellent in-game art and hand-drawn art?

I was really, really trying to forget about that.

a beholder
8th Post

New Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 16 Jun 09:51post reply

Looking at the sketches, and the model, they don't seem to match.

SC3 seemed to look worse than SC2 to me. Something about the character costume design.

The artwork itself is great though.

Amakusa
702th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 16 Jun 11:34post reply

quote:

Cover? Taki looks like she's going to explode.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Undead Fred
2861th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 16 Jun 11:55post reply

quote:

Come on... her jaw's not THAT bad. If it was like THIS, then we've got problems.

Ishmael
2863th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 04:39post reply

Some new information has been posted at SDTekken. Highlights include absurd claims about character models, the non-news that guard impact will be back, and the curious hint that there will be a way to win that doesn't involve the health gauge or ring outs. Could the weapon gauge be making a comeback or is this something new?

ecchi
157th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 05:07post reply

quote:
The amount of detail in the game will be amazing! “The leather straps on Ivy’s thighs make real-time indentations into her skin as she fights.”
The development team is putting so much detail into the game that they are actually rendering Taki’s nipples under her leotard.

Is Taki going to flash us? Will there be an instant replay/camera mode so we can zoom in on Ivy's stretch marks? Talk about a waste of development time! How about rendering cuts and bruises to show a character's battle scars as the fight progresses, or anything that's actually worth seeing or needs touch-up.

Maou
1146th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 10:51post reply

quote:
The development team is putting so much detail into the game that they are actually rendering Taki’s nipples under her leotard.
HOW CAN 'ECCHI' NOT BE EXCITED ABOUT THIS

But seriously, that's hilarious. Not that they weren't already devoting serious effort to this. Then again, SC3's chara models were simpler compared to 2's, so maybe there is room for improvement.

quote:
The stages will be far more interactive and play a bigger role in battle. They use Zasalamel’s clock tower stage as an example.
UHHHHHHHHH
If I have to dodge a falling gear one more time I'm going to kill myself. Or worse, it might actually start looking like Dead or Alive or something unthinkable.

More than the totally unexpected return of Guard Impact, I personally am looking forward to the return of features from SC 1 and 2 such as "characters who actually have attacks that hit low" and "fights that don't only involve incessantly trading high and mid attacks like SC 3."

Baines
194th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 10:58post reply

quote:
Or worse, it might actually start looking like Dead or Alive or something unthinkable.

With 3, Soul Calibur was already entering DOA1 territory.

With inflated air bags Ivy, it has surpassed DOA1.

Kind of funny that Tecmo at least tried to make DOA into a more serious fighter, while Namco has gone the opposite direction with Soul Calibur.

ecchi
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 12:14post reply

quote:

Oh, but I am! I can't wait for someone to make a patch that strips Taki of her leotard so I can see their work of art pointing straight at me uncovered. Other than that, the only thing I'm satisfied to hear is that stages will be much bigger to lessen the occurrences of Ring Outs

IkariDC
621th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 17:50post reply

quote:

Bonus points for you Maou, for making me laugh at work!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Gojira
2170th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 18:07post reply

Soul Edge/ Calibur has always been all about the nipples. In fact SE was the first 3D fighter I remember to ever have nipples.

E5150
114th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 18:26post reply

quote:
Soul Edge/ Calibur has always been all about the nipples. In fact SE was the first 3D fighter I remember to ever have nipples.

pics

Pollyanna
2259th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Wed 27 Jun 18:29post reply

quote:

Or worse, it might actually start looking like Dead or Alive or something unthinkable.

I'm confused. What's wrong with the levels in DoA? I thought they were one of the big draws.

Ishmael
2864th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 28 Jun 00:23post reply

quote:

pics

Dodo birds!

Keeping with Magic Box and their questionably procured pictures, it's good to see Mitsurugi has been visually confirmed in Soul Calibur Legends. So is the skinny kid on the first page Isuka?

Maou
1148th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 28 Jun 01:07:post reply

quote:
I'm confused. What's wrong with the levels in DoA? I thought they were one of the big draws.
Dunno, Polly, I think maybe I've just been burned by too many poor games with 'interactive levels.' I play fighting games not for the action game elements but for one-on-one stuff, and every time I hear about interactive stages or non-flat levels I think of either Power Stone (agh), Dead or Alive (AAAgh), or Tekken 4 (AAAAAAGGHHH). Seems like these goofy action elements distract (perhaps calculatedly) from the shallow, poor fighting engines.

Meanwhile I have no problem at all if Soul Calibur wants to be both a good fighter (this is dependent on it not being like 3) and a sexy fighter. If I'm going to stare at the same people for hours when I fight friends, at least they should be attractive (both genders)...it really was flashy li'l Sakura who made me first play Street Fighter Zero 2 when I was but a wee lad.

So while Ecchi's bruises and damage seem kinda cool (eep, or maybe just like Fighting Vipers), maybe they don't need to focus there, plus I always assumed that the life bar was kind of a probability gauge of how hard/full on you got hit, which explains why people get whacked with the Soul Edge when I play as Nightmare and can still stand up.

Goofy expression on Taki's Tira's face in those pics, though.

edit: Tira has changed her hair.

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 28 Jun 01:10]

Mosquiton
1715th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 28 Jun 05:27post reply

quote:
yup, it seems so....In SC 6 she won't be able to stand still, and will automaticaly fall down...

As for the game sI wiosh they can get rid of all the SC3 foolishnes of this stupid character creation and story mode of crap, and just focus to make this a good game like SC1 was...

Yeah, I'm a fan of improbably large tits but these are just ridiculous. The outfit is super-trashy, as well.

Ivy's SC2 boobs FTW.

/ / /

Shin ATproof
1217th Post

"Re(5):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 28 Jun 06:22post reply

I think its impossible for Ivy to ever look trashy...

With that said, loving the T&A in this game, especially the report about the hi-res rendering of Taki's nipples...makes me the create-a-character mode sound deliciously fanservicy.

Sí mon con langosta y camarón

Pollyanna
2260th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 28 Jun 07:19post reply

It looks like SC is continuing the tradition from SC3 by being "the most tacky 3D fighter on the market". Obviously, they're the champions of good taste, talking about nipples in their first interview.

Aaaand...

quote:
I thought they were one of the big draws. Dunno, Polly, I think maybe I've just been burned by too many poor games with 'interactive levels.' I play fighting games not for the action game elements but for one-on-one stuff, and every time I hear about interactive stages or non-flat levels I think of either Power Stone (agh), Dead or Alive (AAAgh), or Tekken 4 (AAAAAAGGHHH). Seems like these goofy action elements distract (perhaps calculatedly) from the shallow, poor fighting engines.

That makes sense, I mean, saying "I don't like this, so I don't want this game I like to be like this", but I don't know if you're making a fair comparison by bringing up PowerStone. I mean, obviously SC4 isn't going to be like PowerStone, and obviously Powerstone isn't supposed to be like a normal 3D fighter.

Personally, I like interactive levels and I don't think they necessarily distract from the game. (there are a few exceptions in DoA4, but I would say most of the levels are just fine). Or rather, I don't think they distract much more than having ring-outs. I mean, ring-outs are a level-hazard that you have to work around that both players share equally. The same could be said about most of the hazards in DOA, only in that, you don't automatically lose the round because of them.

Of course, I'm biased here because I like DOA and I don't like ring-outs.

In my opinion, I'd love to see more interactive levels in SC, and given the series' history with introducing non-fighting elements in their home ports, I don't think it's out of place.

On the other hand, I don't want ridiculous things like iron balls rolling on me or levels tipping over, and I'd still like at least a few "normal" levels for people who want to play something more focused.

HARO
56th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(5):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 28 Jun 09:17post reply

Multiple costumes. For those of you who have a "problem" with large breasts, Ivy will most likely have another outfit where she is either butched out a la George Washington or wearing a dress.

Personally, I hope she's wearing even less clothing in her other outfits, but that's just me.

I think all you complainers just get off more to the thought of having "better taste" or being morally superior instead of to the female body. That's pretty fucked up if you ask me.

a beholder
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 28 Jun 16:28post reply

quote:
Multiple costumes. For those of you who have a "problem" with large breasts, Ivy will most likely have another outfit where she is either butched out a la George Washington or wearing a dress.

Personally, I hope she's wearing even less clothing in her other outfits, but that's just me.

I think all you complainers just get off more to the thought of having "better taste" or being morally superior instead of to the female body. That's pretty fucked up if you ask me.

You have no dignity.

Undead Fred
2881th Post

"Re(7):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Thu 28 Jun 17:35post reply

quote:
You have no dignity.

Someone has dignity on the internet?

Yeah, Ivy's new costume makes her look like a stripper, but as Haro said, you can always just make her wear MAN CLOTHES and cover her up if you like. I've stopped caring about Soul Calibur since SC2, so any "out of character" stuff they do doesn't really bother me. And a lot of the characters mentioned have always had big boobs, so I'm not sure what the issue is there (other than being offended by too much attention being paid to them... "brand new nipple dynamics!").

Maou
1148th Post

"Re(7):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 03:13post reply

quote:
You have no dignity.
NO GENERAL KENOBI, YOU LOSE

As for the tacky costume coloring of 3, these ones actually look mostly okay so far from those few screens...Tira was so subdued compared to her old Peter Pan outfit that I thought she was Taki, and the pastels aren't that blinding. Hooray!

I guess Powerstone wasn't a very kind comparison, but that's what I thought of when I heard about interactive rings, sheer goofiness. I still like ring-outs because there's serious strategy and second-guessing you can do on a cliff (i.e. will he hit me mid or low, do I guard impact this ring-out move I know he will do or is it too high-risk), whereas all I could think of when bursting through walls or out of windows in DOA was how it was "fun," maybe a lot more fun than the game, but that it didn't appreciably change the actual combat besides some minor damage given so much as it distracted me with pseudo-action gimicks.

Meanwhile, maybe Namco's learned how to do non-level stages since Tekken 4, but the steps and hills in that game were so violently bad that I'm pretty wary still.

Spoon
1402th Post

"Re(8):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 03:25post reply

Taki has become so top heavy that it looks like she's in danger of those things tearing off of her body just by turning quickly. Ivy may be on the same route. There are documented cases where this physical condition is actually damaging to the person's health (e.g. back problems, etc.) and that they have reduction surgery as a treatment.

Maou
1150th Post

"Re(9):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 03:28:post reply

It's true, plus it could start damaging her fighting ability, too. I had a friend who's a master squash player and knew to hit to the side of her opponents where their breasts would get in the way of the arm movement for their swings. So maybe Taki should consider taping up.

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 29 Jun 03:29]

a beholder
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 03:51post reply

quote:
You have no dignity. NO GENERAL KENOBI, YOU LOSE

Gutter trash!

nobinobita
121th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 04:04post reply

quote:
It's true, plus it could start damaging her fighting ability, too. I had a friend who's a master squash player and knew to hit to the side of her opponents where their breasts would get in the way of the arm movement for their swings. So maybe Taki should consider taping up.

Maybe she could cut off one breast like an amazon.

Maou
1150th Post

"Re(9):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 04:09post reply

quote:
Gutter trash!
LET'S FIGHT LIKE GENTLEMEN

Undead Fred
2882th Post

"Re(9):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 05:51post reply

quote:
Taki has become so top heavy that it looks like she's in danger of those things tearing off of her body just by turning quickly. Ivy may be on the same route. There are documented cases where this physical condition is actually damaging to the person's health (e.g. back problems, etc.) and that they have reduction surgery as a treatment.

Come on, her boobs have more or less stayed the same size over the years. I had to do a Google image search to try and figure out what you guys were talking about (I don't have my old Soul Edge and Soul Calibur 1 copies handy)... looks like she got a bit bigger between SC1 and 2, but that's about all. And above that, you realize she's fictional, right? She could have crazy Eiken-Godannar monster boobs and crush her opponents underneath them like an Indiana Jones boulder and she wouldn't be complaining about a bad back.

It just seems ridiculous to whine about "unrealistic boobs" in a game where you jam blades into each other and do bone-breaking launches into the air with executioner axes and stuff and people only wind up getting "knocked out" in the process.

Spoon
1404th Post

"Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 06:53:post reply

quote:

Come on, her boobs have more or less stayed the same size over the years. I had to do a Google image search to try and figure out what you guys were talking about (I don't have my old Soul Edge and Soul Calibur 1 copies handy)... looks like she got a bit bigger between SC1 and 2, but that's about all. And above that, you realize she's fictional, right? She could have crazy Eiken-Godannar monster boobs and crush her opponents underneath them like an Indiana Jones boulder and she wouldn't be complaining about a bad back.

It just seems ridiculous to whine about "unrealistic boobs" in a game where you jam blades into each other and do bone-breaking launches into the air with executioner axes and stuff and people only wind up getting "knocked out" in the process.

I haven't kept up with the SC series, so I admit my ignorance.

Don't take it as a serious criticism, come on :D
It's just some silly aspect of the game to pick on, seeing as how it's a point that gets a lot of attention every year...

Why don't they use them as weapons? I mean, given the fact that every weapon in SC seems to be used to bludgeon your opponent into submission, I don't see how it'd be any different...

[this message was edited by Spoon on Fri 29 Jun 06:55]

Mosquiton
1717th Post

"Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 07:44:post reply

quote:

Behold the evolution.

Pretty damn clear to me, and this doesn't even include the new screenshots. Really, come on. Use your eyes, man!

Good sir, I am quite sure that I like large breasts just as much or more than you do. Variety is the spice of life, of course, but I have nothing against an extra helping of tits every once in a while.

The issue is not realism or practicality. It's personal taste. I think that Ivy is starting to look slightly fucking ridiculous, and that her character design is being warped. You're welcome to think different, but something is definitely going on with those melons.

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Fri 29 Jun 07:49]

Gojira
2171th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 08:04post reply

Umm...

HELLO people... you are arguing with Undead Fred on whether or not Ivy's tits are too huge. If you ever visited that drawboard link up there you would know that you can't win this argument.

Undead Fred
2883th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 08:22post reply

quote:
Behold the evolution.

Pretty damn clear to me, and this doesn't even include the new screenshots. Really, come on. Use your eyes, man!

Good sir, I am quite sure that I like large breasts just as much or more than you do. Variety is the spice of life, of course, but I have nothing against an extra helping of tits every once in a while.

The issue is not realism or practicality. It's personal taste. I think that Ivy is starting to look slightly fucking ridiculous, and that her character design is being warped. You're welcome to think different, but something is definitely going on with those melons.

The video didn't really prove anything to me, really. The concept art, YES... there's definitely a difference in size. But the character model (which is what I thought we were talking about), no. She did get a boost in the fourth one, obviously, but the other games before that, she's stayed pretty much stayed the same.
quote:
Umm...

HELLO people... you are arguing with Undead Fred on whether or not Ivy's tits are too huge. If you ever visited that drawboard link up there you would know that you can't win this argument.
Hell, just look at my BRAIN CAMS. Heh heh heh. You don't even have to leave the page!

nobinobita
122th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 08:22post reply

quote:
pics

I'm feeling really underwhelmed by the graphics in Tekken 6 and Sould Calibur 4. I mean, they look nice, but they're nowhere near as impressive as seeing Soul Calibur for the first time. I mean, when Soul Calibur came out, it was unquestionably the best looking 3-d game that anyone had ever seen. I was kinda hoping for something similar with Namco's first next gen fight outings.

It just feels weird that Virtua Fighter 5, which came out a while ago, has much more impressive looking graphics than these two games which are still in developement.

Maou
1152th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 08:53:post reply

Fred's brain cams might be the best thing about the cafe. I know he'll be my ally in saying that Ivy's new size is No Big Deal.

quote:
I'm feeling really underwhelmed by the graphics in Tekken 6 and Sould Calibur 4.
Really? These look pretty sharp to me, the lighting seems striking, and it seems less garish than 3. I don't know if we can ever expect to be as bowled over as with SC 1 seeing as how that was probably the first really gorgeous 3D fighter (maybe Virtua) that has actually aged well. Everything before that was kind of weak, but SC was the first one where the models look good today and not like a bunch of jagged edges. It's sort of the FF VIII compared to the now-ugly FF VII's of fighters that came before it. So I can't imagine SC4 generating that same excitement, but this looks pretty hot. And it would be amazing if it actually plays well, since I'm getting tired of playing SC 2 after all these years...

edit: also excited about the strange birds in every pic

[this message was edited by Maou on Fri 29 Jun 08:57]

nobinobita
123th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 09:01post reply

quote:

edit: also excited about the strange birds in every pic

The birds are way cool. Those dodos look delicious.

Maou
1152th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 09:15post reply

quote:
The birds are way cool. Those dodos look delicious.

I hope that you can slug them with your sword, and then eat them as the Tekken 3 announcer yells, "CHICKEN."

ZamIAm
1623th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"SC3 pet peeve" , posted Fri 29 Jun 09:51post reply

quote:

the new screenshots

Considering Create-a-soul is back, I really hope that there's some better skin tone options than "normal" and charcoal/tar-baby.

Undead Fred
2884th Post

"Re(1):SC3 pet peeve" , posted Fri 29 Jun 10:33post reply

quote:

the new screenshots

Considering Create-a-soul is back, I really hope that there's some better skin tone options than "normal" and charcoal/tar-baby.

Are you missing green to make Frankenstein? Or pink for Frankenberry?

Gojira
2172th Post

"Re(2):SC3 pet peeve" , posted Fri 29 Jun 11:04post reply

quote:

the new screenshots

Are you missing green to make Frankenstein? Or pink for Frankenberry?

I believe he's referring to the fact that the skin tone options on SC3 were insufficient to make a proper man of color. Dark colors weren't saturated enough so they came out looking like caucasians in body paint.

Amakusa
705th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 11:57post reply

quote:

It just feels weird that Virtua Fighter 5, which came out a while ago, has much more impressive looking graphics than these two games which are still in developement.

It's funny, I wasn't thinking about that, but it's true. The one time I saw VF5 in action I was just floored at just how good it looked, and so far this game hasn't really grabbed my attention.

Maese Spt
370th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 13:10:post reply

quote:
pics

I'm feeling really underwhelmed by the graphics in Tekken 6 and Sould Calibur 4. I mean, they look nice, but they're nowhere near as impressive as seeing Soul Calibur for the first time. I mean, when Soul Calibur came out, it was unquestionably the best looking 3-d game that anyone had ever seen. I was kinda hoping for something similar with Namco's first next gen fight outings.

My thoughts the same. I kinda miss those days when each new fighting title Namco developed marked a new state-of-the-art standard for the 3D gaming world. Sic transit gloria mundi...

Also, while I do agree that this new Ivy looks a little bit too gullible even for Soul Calibur standards, it's nothing anybody should bitch about. Since the good ol' times of Sophitia's panty shoots and Taki's undercovered nipples on the very first Sould Edge, this saga has been all about fanservice. I mean, from the beginning Taki's body measures were absolutely ridiculous for a XVI century japanese woman, and nobody ever complained.

Besides, even if I liked better her (arguably) more elegant SCIII white costume, Ivy has always been a slut character, that's pretty much a fact. So let's not start with the old "ZOMG, THEY TURNED OUR LOVELY B.JENET INTO A STREET HOOKER O_o!!!!11" drama again, gentlemen.

EDIT: grammarz, lulz

マツケン サンバ!!!!

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Fri 29 Jun 13:11]

HARO
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 14:04post reply

quote:

I think that Ivy is starting to look slightly fucking ridiculous, and that her character design is being warped. You're welcome to think different, but something is definitely going on with those melons.

This is probably the only valid point made so far with regards to this.

She HAS made a bit of a transition from sinister dominatrix to oversexed porn queen.

It really is hard to take someone wearing that kind of outfit seriously. I'll miss the evil badass aura she used to give off, but I'll happily accept the "physical enhancements" as compensation.

Iron D
2723th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Fri 29 Jun 16:54post reply

quote:

My thoughts the same. I kinda miss those days when each new fighting title Namco developed marked a new state-of-the-art standard for the 3D gaming world. Sic transit gloria mundi...

I was severely disappointed by the first screenshots of Tekken 6. SEVERELY. I decided that since those were arcade screens (if I remember correctly) then my guess was that Namco was going to pull a Tekken Tag for PS2/Soul Calibur for DC and have it look 1000 times better on PS3. At least, I really, REALLY hope that's the case, because as of now Tekken 6 just looks like Tekken 5 with different stages.

SCIV on the other hand, I think actually looks pretty nice. Maybe not quite VF5 caliber, but pretty close to it. I think that the game would look awesome in motion looking the way those those screens indicate.

Er.....

Pollyanna
2262th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 30 Jun 02:14post reply

I think one of the reasons the games don't look so impressive is because they don't have a "smooth, shiny high res" look like VF5 (or like DOA4 would have if the renders were better). The renders have plenty of polygons and such, but they still look "jaggy" so it's like "really well-constructed last generation" rather than "next generation".

Also, with the cost of game production and the level of technology we're dealing with today, it's hard to make something tremendously better without breaking the bank. You can't just throw higher polygon numbers at the problem, you need good DESIGN.

Which brings me to my next point...

For me, this isn't an issue of giant boobs or skimpy costumes, it's an issue of overall tacky design... which seems to be carrying over from SC3. As Mosquiton said, Ivy just isn't right anymore. She's lost her "badass" quality. It isn't that her costume is too revealing, it's that it's too silly. If she had massive breasts AND looked totally awesome, you'd probably see fewer complaints.

Although I think if you want a character with gigantic breasts, you should make a new one, rather than adding size to an existing character. In Ivy's case, I don't think this is the problem, and as was said before, it's not like she was a wholesome character to begin with. Actually, in the art render, she just looks like she put on some weight, which I kind of liked, if only because it was interesting. In the game, though...she kept the boobs, but lost the size elsewhere.

But yeah, bottom line, what I'm trying to say is that the boobs and costume are part of a bigger problem, not a problem in themselves.

On a positive note, I think the game already looks better than SC3, and I'm digging both Tira's new (although still tacky) design and her terrible sneer.

Baines
196th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 30 Jun 08:27post reply

quote:
Also, while I do agree that this new Ivy looks a little bit too gullible even for Soul Calibur standards, it's nothing anybody should bitch about. Since the good ol' times of Sophitia's panty shoots and Taki's undercovered nipples on the very first Sould Edge, this saga has been all about fanservice.

When do you complain, then? Ivy already looks like she should be on the cover of something like "Giant Knockers." She just needs bad stretch marks, visible veins, and a face that looks like she lives on drugs and sleeping pills.

And there is the general progression of Soul Calibur as well. It started decently serious for a fighter. Most fighters have fan-service. Some are built around it and still end up decent. Soul Calibur however has gradually been drifting into the territory of being driven by fan-service and instant gratification, versus being a solid game.

DOA (which I mentioned earlier) has arguably been trying to go the other direction, and even spun its heaviest fan-service push into a separate series. DOA is still associated with fan-service, and knows it is a part of its appeal, but it has tried to improve over the visuals of DOA1 in more than just higher poly count.

Mosquiton
1718th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 30 Jun 08:59:post reply

quote:

When do you complain, then?

Whenever the mood strikes! I'm pretty sure you meant why?

It's called an opinion, dear Baines. Oh look! You seem to have one too! And we happen to be on a message board dedicated to fighting games, the perfect place for such opinions!

Thanks to Polly for helping to clarify my point (we're definitely on the same fashion page here). Obviously we're all fans here, and we talk about what's happening with the series because we care about it. I mean, when I select a character they're representing me in that virtual arena. How a character looks is a valid concern.

For now I'll put my faith in alternate costumes. I'd take a pants and jacket design over this one, but I'd be very happy if there were a few alternatives that showed some skin in another way.

And just btw, does Iggy still post here? I'd expect him to have something to say here...

/ / /

[this message was edited by Mosquiton on Sat 30 Jun 09:00]

Baines
197th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 30 Jun 10:14post reply

quote:

When do you complain, then?

Whenever the mood strikes! I'm pretty sure you meant why?

No, I meant when.

As I quoted, you said "it's nothing anybody should bitch about".

So I asked "When do you complain, then?" At what point is a person supposed to (or allowed to) decide it *is* something to bitch about?

Amakusa
706th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 30 Jun 10:50post reply

quote:

It's called an opinion, dear Baines. Oh look! You seem to have one too! And we happen to be on a message board dedicated to fighting games, the perfect place for such opinions!

Yet that's called smartass.

Maese Spt
370th Post

Silver Customer

"this is an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!11111111" , posted Sat 30 Jun 12:50post reply

quote:

No, I meant when.

As I quoted, you said "it's nothing anybody should bitch about".

Hey, it was me who said that! And I think one can start complaining only when they turn Amy into a gigantic three headed, four breasted, 1,200 lbs. hermaphrodite tentacle demoness. Which probably is bond to happen by Soul Calibur 5, I guess...

No, srsly, this Ivy sure looks hideous, but she actually was this type of character from the very beginning. When the first Sould Calibur came up, she already made me chuckle at her shamelessly undisimuled porn queen look. So I canīt see how her IV's incarnation could be a huge shapeshift on her "character nature" paradigm. Since SC, back in 1998, she was the "SM bitch" of the game, and on later installements she has evolved (or maybe involuted, durrrh) along those lines. Of course, I am always speaking of her 1p costumes, her 2p ones tend to be quite classy

Now, if the turned Sophitia, say, into a blood-crying Gothic Lolita, then I would call it an outrage because it would make no friggin sense. But, like her or not, we can not say this new "back alley harlot version" of Ivy was totally unexpected, the same way we can not be surprised about the newly renderized nipples they are giving to Taki, because THAT has been part of the "spirit" of the characters since the very first drafts on the designerīs sketchbook back in 1995 or 1998.

What we really should be discussing about how Dodos went extint after their brief contact with Soul Edge.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Baines
198th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):this is an outrage!!!!!!!!!!!11111111" , posted Sat 30 Jun 13:48post reply

quote:
Hey, it was me who said that!

Indeed it was, and I'm sorry for getting that wrong. So Mosquiton not only jumped on me for questioning SC4 Ivy's design just as he has done, but did so out of nowhere as well?

quote:
And I think one can start complaining only when they turn Amy into a gigantic three headed, four breasted, 1,200 lbs. hermaphrodite tentacle demoness. Which probably is bond to happen by Soul Calibur 5, I guess...

No, srsly, this Ivy sure looks hideous, but she actually was this type of character from the very beginning.

Dropping the sexual aspects, that sounds more like a Tekken boss than SC, so that might not happen until they do a full Soul Calibur/Tekken crossover.

As for Ivy, as you say, "this Ivy sure looks hideous." S&M dominatrix in a skimpy outfit has been part of her design from the start, but not "hideous."

a beholder
24th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Soul Calibur 4" , posted Sat 30 Jun 14:05post reply

quote:
you can always just make her wear MAN CLOTHES and cover her up if you like.

If so, I hope there is an option to make her explode out of them like King and Yuri.

To see that in next-gen would be divine.

E5150
117th Post

Regular Customer

"Mina with Souledge" , posted Wed 24 Oct 23:46post reply

Mina with Souledge:

http://xuexueyuehua.deviantart.com/art/Wicked-Mina-68110717

OK, it's fanart, but it's badass.