Daigo "The Beast", pretty much retired. - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (6238 Views )

Professor
2386th Post

user profileedit/delete message

MMCafe Owner

"Daigo 'the Beast' Umehara,pretty much retired" , posted Sun 10 Jun 15:07:post reply

All the talk about the new HD SSF2T reminded me. Since somewhere around last year, I've noticed that Japan's top Street Fighter player, Daigo "the beast" Umehara, seemed a bit rusty. As it turns out, Daigo's pretty much retired from fighting games, at least for the time being.

(FYI, he's the guy that made the "miraculous comeback" at Evo 2004.)

In the last of a 3-part video interview available here, Daigo comments that he hasn't really been playing much and he only goes to the arcades about once a week at most, playing about two hours. He still enters tournaments if it's like a 3-on-3 and he's called by friends to join them, but otherwise, he seems uninterested.

"I only play about 1/100th of what I used to. it's not an overexassuration. I used to go [to the arcades] every day..." "...I'm not even sure of what [games] are out now."

"I got a feeling that I've played plenty enough.(laughs) It's not like I'm drawing a line, but for now, I don't really feel like playing much."

"I used to play and enter tournaments, and even if I wasn't playing, I'd start practicing when there was a tournament [coming up]. I don't feel that way any more."

Also, Talking about Evo 2004,

"Well.. all I did was succed in parrying.(laughs) In my opinion, I've had tougher situations at large scale tournaments. But it was pretty cool.

When you're playing/practicing a lot, you tend to be more tenacious [during your matches]. And when your opponent is tenacious, you tend to make more mistakes. That move by Justin was pretty much a mistake. He didn't need to do it, but he probably executed it because I was being tenacious.

But being tenacious takes a lot of practice. And there's also a lot of emotion behind it, that you don't want to lose because you've practiced too much.

On the other hand you'd lose really quickly in tournaments that you haven't practiced for, because you haven't gone through any hardships and you don't really care."

[this message was edited by Professor on Sun 10 Jun 17:32]

Replies:

Zepy
1368th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Daigo 'the Beast' Umehara,pretty much r" , posted Sun 10 Jun 21:09post reply

Oh man so he's really gone now, I thought it was pretty strange when team Umehara didn't appear for Tougeki 2006... Man, Tougeki wouldn't be the same without Umehara around.

Red Falcon
5805th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Daigo 'the Beast' Umehara,pretty much r" , posted Mon 11 Jun 02:01post reply

I had noticed a distinct lack of Daigo as of recent, and I guess this explains it. Kind of a shame, but also not too much of a surprise in a sense.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Saiki
236th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Daigo 'the Beast' Umehara,pretty much r" , posted Mon 11 Jun 02:25post reply

I hope he'll come back again

Hagen de Merak
950th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Daigo 'the Beast' Umehara,pretty much r" , posted Mon 11 Jun 03:32post reply

This doesn't surprise me at all. the poor guy probably just got tired of playing the same shit day in and day out. He was bound to get burned out.probably just needs a break and will come back someday.

Ishmael
2846th Post

"Re(4):Daigo 'the Beast' Umehara,pretty much r" , posted Tue 12 Jun 04:38post reply

I've always wondered what is it inside a person that makes them want to dedicate that much time and energy to playing a game. What is it that drives them and what do they get out of it? The news that Daigo is winding down isn't what I find surprising but rather that he managed to stay in the scene for as long as he did.

exodus
3897th Post

"Re(5):Daigo 'the Beast' Umehara,pretty much r" , posted Tue 12 Jun 04:59post reply

quote:
I've always wondered what is it inside a person that makes them want to dedicate that much time and energy to playing a game.

hmmm...not getting laid, poor home life, cycles of depression, perceived inability to do anything else...etc?

I dunno, ask sabo.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
burn

End of Spoiler

sabo10
1400th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Daigo 'the Beast' Umehara,pretty much r" , posted Tue 12 Jun 12:49post reply

I heard The Beast once slept on a picnic table and also scratched his ass.