Should I play D? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1721 Views )

Gojira
2155th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Should I play D?" , posted Sat 9 Jun 08:37post reply

I never played Warp's stuff, and I was recently wondering if I should try and pursue something like D, or Enemy Zero or D2. I remember there was a pretty substantial amount of hype surrounding the D series and Kenji Ito back in the day, but does it still hold up or was that just buzz for some specific thing about it that doesn't matter anymore?

Replies:

Maou
1120th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):Should I play D?" , posted Sat 9 Jun 12:35post reply

Holy cow, I remember hearing about D a decade ago! I remember hearing it was scary if occasionally slow/dull...didn't it predate Biohazard/Resident Evil? If not, it's definitely one of the fathers of survival horror, but I imagine it hasn't aged particularly well given that the point of these games to absorb you and subsequently terrify you...

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Pollyanna
2243th Post

"Re(2):Should I play D?" , posted Sat 9 Jun 15:58post reply

quote:
Holy cow, I remember hearing about D a decade ago! I remember hearing it was scary if occasionally slow/dull...didn't it predate Biohazard/Resident Evil? If not, it's definitely one of the fathers of survival horror, but I imagine it hasn't aged particularly well given that the point of these games to absorb you and subsequently terrify you...

If I recall, it was a "horror puzzle game" not really "survival horror", and yeah, I think it probably hasn't aged well enough to be especially engaging.

Grave
950th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Should I play D?" , posted Sun 10 Jun 06:07post reply

quote:
If I recall, it was a "horror puzzle game" not really "survival horror", and yeah, I think it probably hasn't aged well enough to be especially engaging.

I played it again in December. It's still cool for what it is, but not a whole lot more. It's worth a spin to satisfy curiosity, with it being readily available for <$10 and all.

exodus
3896th Post

"Re(4):Should I play D?" , posted Tue 12 Jun 04:20post reply

the CG is so old looking and poorly compressed...kinda hard to get involved in it now, I'd imagine. But who knows!