button-up silk shirts... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (5044 Views )

crazymike
1310th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"button-up silk shirts..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 08:46post reply

Here goes my inane rant of the day, no offense to those in here who do wear them, but what I can't stand is silk shirts with graphics like fire, dragons (of the ball Z kind as well!), and other bizarre entities on them.

It seems 95% of American anime fanboys wear them and you can spot one out of the crowd by looking at them, especially if they are not even buttoned up and left to hang like some sort of cloak. I think it stereotypes the culture and is truly nerdy looking.

Anyway have at it.

Replies:

Hagen de Merak
948th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 10:40post reply

quote:
Here goes my inane rant of the day, no offense to those in here who do wear them, but what I can't stand is silk shirts with graphics like fire, dragons (of the ball Z kind as well!), and other bizarre entities on them.

It seems 95% of American anime fanboys wear them and you can spot one out of the crowd by looking at them, especially if they are not even buttoned up and left to hang like some sort of cloak. I think it stereotypes the culture and is truly nerdy looking.

Anyway have at it.

lmao. every time that i see someone with one of those i feel like punching them.

Catalyst
225th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 11:54post reply

quote:

Anyway have at it.

What happened exactly? They by any chance didn't come and talk to you did they?

If they did bless your soul. That has to be one blinding eye sour. It's kind of like staring at a gorgeous womans cleavage and trying to stay focus on her eyes deviating the fact of the other thought processes going in our brains.

But not being biased regardless of interaction or not, yea I gotta agree. Disturbingly I find them very tacky to wear with.. anything. Kinda like a hawaiian shirt. It's like Homer Simpson said about those "There's only two kinds of guys who wear Hawaiian shirts: gay guys and big fat party animals. And Bart doesn't look like a big fat party animal to me!"

Personally I haven't seen those kind of shirts in about 5 years maybe 6 or 7 unless its at a flea market type place. Though I suppose in some cases that 5 percent you mentioned, that rare 5 percent probably isn't an anime fan.

Tracking Treasure Down - Gabriel and Dresden

exodus
3883th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 12:55post reply

I think your problem boils down to associating with 95% of american fanboys.

Ammadeau
1554th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Wed 6 Jun 18:48post reply

quote:
I think your problem boils down to associating with 95% of american fanboys.

You should only associate with those who dress like Dan Hibiki.

exodus
3884th Post

"Re(3):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 04:22post reply

quote:

You should only associate with those who dress like Dan Hibiki.

he's a hero to all!

Makondo99
355th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 05:23post reply

Pedro finds these shirts totally fashionable and not nerdy at all!

Descarta

Juan
4385th Post

"Re(1):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 05:28post reply

quote:

Anyway have at it.

ok

Digitalboy
430th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 06:14post reply

You feel like punching them in the face too? Oh good it is not just me. Those shirts shows people how hardcore the fanboys really are. Especially the guys who wear these button-up silk shirts with kanji/katakana that is their favorite shirt when they do not even know what it means.

But hey their mom thinks they are cool.
quote:

Anyway have at it.

lmao. every time that i see someone with one of those i feel like punching them.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Burning Ranger
1481th Post

"Re(1):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 08:14post reply

quote:

Anyway have at it.

I have one such shirt... with a guy that looks like a knight or something. I rarely wear it. I do, however, have hawaiian shirts (I'm a beach bum at heart). I do want to acquire a shirt with tribal knot patterns on it. Anyone know where I can get it?

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

simonbelmont
124th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 09:19post reply

Anyone know where I can get some sleazy butterfly collar t-shirts like Robert Garcia wears? The only one I have is the one I bought in Puerto Rico when I was living there and it’s all pitted out and nasty now. I have the olive skin so I can totally pull off that sleazy style. Especially in little Italy.

Undead Fred
2852th Post

"Re(5):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 09:54post reply

quote:

Pedro finds these shirts totally fashionable and not nerdy at all!

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nuthin', but I think Depeche Mode is a SWEET band.

KTallguy
902th Post

"Re(6):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 16:15post reply

It's kind of like wearing a wall scroll.

Play to win.

Pollyanna
2236th Post

"Re(7):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 20:10post reply

quote:

Hahaha! That's profound! It's true on so many levels!

Well...maybe only like 2 or 3 levels, but still...

crazymike
1312th Post

"Re(7):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Thu 7 Jun 23:23post reply

quote:

Congratulations, you've reached the pinnacle and ultimate end of this thread. The thread has been settled. You are thread master! Now would you like to continue and change topic?

Cain Highwind
764th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Fri 8 Jun 06:59post reply

quote:

Funny, because my Mom got one for Christmas YEARS ago, an Electric Blue DBZ one. I like it, haven't worn it in AGES though. The "wearing a wallscroll" bit is a good comparison. Personally, as an Anime fan, I really wish there were MORE out there as I actually would prefer a shirt like that as opposed to a cheap "Printed" T-Shirt where the image fades out after about a dozen washes. But that's just me.

What's weird is, there must be some group out there that makes "bootleg" Samurai Shodown club shirts. A few years back I saw a kid who had a black and white shirt with Asura on it and then just a couple months ago I saw a kid who clearly had a Seishiro Kuki shirt but his clothes were red and his hair changed to brown.

Digitalboy
432th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Fri 8 Jun 10:07post reply

ZING!!!
quote:

Funny, because my Mom got one for Christmas YEARS ago, an Electric Blue DBZ one. I like it, haven't worn it in AGES though.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

crazymike
1317th Post

"Re(4):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Fri 8 Jun 13:12post reply

quote:
What's weird is, there must be some group out there that makes "bootleg" Samurai Shodown club shirts.

Funny you mention that! I remember one kid back in high school who had a Haohmaru shirt and I seriously doubt SNK was licensing those for US malls.

Pollyanna
2242th Post

"Re(4):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Sat 9 Jun 08:06post reply

quote:
Personally, as an Anime fan, I really wish there were MORE out there as I actually would prefer a shirt like that as opposed to a cheap "Printed" T-Shirt where the image fades out after about a dozen washes. But that's just me.

Good for you for standing up for your fashion sense in the face of adversity. I was thinking "surely at least one, probably several people who post here either wear or have worn those shirts at some point."

Of course, that means that you're not cool, but I can't very well expect all, most, many or more than perhaps 1/4 of the people who post on a gaming messageboard like this to make the "cool list."

exodus
3893th Post

"Re(5):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Mon 11 Jun 08:10post reply

quote:
Of course, that means that you're not cool, but I can't very well expect all, most, many or more than perhaps 1/4 of the people who post on a gaming messageboard like this to make the "cool list."

total burn, even while you were trying to be nice! heh.

sabo10
1397th Post

"Re(6):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Mon 11 Jun 10:36post reply

The Cure!

ONSLAUGHT
3658th Post

"Re(5):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Mon 11 Jun 13:54post reply

quote:

Funny you mention that! I remember one kid back in high school who had a Haohmaru shirt and I seriously doubt SNK was licensing those for US malls.

I've seen people here in Mexico wear the Haohmaru one... and it's not nerdy people wearing them, it's construction workers who wear them...

sabo10
1399th Post

"Re(6):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Mon 11 Jun 14:19post reply

I'd probably let a man wearing one of these DBZ shirts put his panis in my anoos and ejaculate a lot of times.

KTallguy
904th Post

"Re(6):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Tue 12 Jun 04:06post reply

quote:

I've seen people here in Mexico wear the Haohmaru one... and it's not nerdy people wearing them, it's construction workers who wear them...

Whaaaa????

Play to win.

exodus
3895th Post

"Re(6):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Tue 12 Jun 04:19post reply

quote:

and it's not nerdy people wearing them, it's construction workers who wear them...

I see them on ricers and wanna be gangsters. Well...I did in LA anyway. I don't see them here for whatever reason.

Mav
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):button-up silk shirts..." , posted Sun 24 Jun 04:28post reply

When those shirts were everywhere, we called them "Birth Control Shirts."

I used to see a lot of those, but they've since declined. Copyright-infringing designs and mishmash kanji are still prevalent in other areas! I saw a wakeboard with a hodgepodge nise Shining Gundam! White Zaku head, SD Shining Gundam body and blue hands.

Haven't posted here in ages...