If you are looking for DS sleeper hits - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2790 Views )

Kikkoken
1130th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Tue 5 Jun 01:54post reply

...Then buy Starfox Command and Mario vs Donkey Kong 2...

Replies:

Shooo-rook
306th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Tue 5 Jun 08:44post reply

quote:

Are the controls for Starfox Command good? I heard it is kind of weird but you get used to it after a while. Also how is the multiplayer? Please give general review THANKS!

פ ר ש נ ו
ר ע ב ת ן
ש ב ד ב ש
נ ת ב ע ר
ו נ ש ר ף

Kikkoken
1132th Post

"Re(2):If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Tue 5 Jun 16:14:post reply

quote:

Are the controls for Starfox Command good? I heard it is kind of weird but you get used to it after a while. Also how is the multiplayer? Please give general review THANKS!

It took me a good 30 minutes to get used to the controls, but then all your actions start to fall into place, and it works surprisingly well. Having said that, you're very often in a situation where you have to combine the steering with double-tapping (for acceleration or brakes) or quick left-right scribbling for deflection, or click on an icon, which is as if you were letting go of your analog stick for a second. This challenges the precision of your steering as you seem to lose control of the plane. Strangely, I found it exciting to very often have to try to compensate for those effects. It's far from impossible and it just takes skills.
Multiplayer is as I said single cart, but it's up to 6 players. I've only played duels with wifi, and never tried the online. It is fun, but basic: 1-6 planes fighting in a closed space, with a strong advantage for those who collect the best power ups from the start (those powerups respawn). No team play, no option apart from a defence handicap. The intial chase after the power ups always makes me think of bomberman for some reason.
Sorry for the long review.

[this message was edited by Kikkoken on Tue 5 Jun 16:15]

Pollyanna
2229th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Tue 5 Jun 20:29post reply

What qualifies as a "sleeper hit"? I thought those were both relatively big Nintendo releases.

I played a bit of Mario vs Donkey Kong 2 myself, and thought it was good as well. It's nice to play in short little bits, and it's very clever. The downside is, I tend to tire of it very quickly, I don't like Mario OR Donkey Kong, and the boss fights are tremendously lame.

My current "best DS pick" is Sangokushi Taisen, for sure. I just wish the last fight on "very hard" wasn't so tremendously unfair. Otherwise, I'm madly in love with the game.

Kikkoken
1132th Post

"Re(4):If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Tue 5 Jun 21:14post reply

quote:
My current "best DS pick" is Sangokushi Taisen, for sure. I just wish the last fight on "very hard" wasn't so tremendously unfair. Otherwise, I'm madly in love with the game.

I'm really interested in this game, but I'm afraid the language barrier might be too much of a problem for me. Is it import-friendly for non Japanese speakers?

Pollyanna
2232th Post

"Re(5):If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Tue 5 Jun 21:25post reply

quote:

I'm really interested in this game, but I'm afraid the language barrier might be too much of a problem for me. Is it import-friendly for non Japanese speakers?

Well, there's an official English page for the game that has tutorials and a list of most of the cards with descriptions of their special moves.
(www.sangoku-wars.com)

There's a lot to deal with in the game, with so many cards and so many different specials, but the game itself is very simple and there are enough internet resources to get you playing just fine. Making new decks will certainly be time-consuming, but it's definitely possible.

Of course, there are missions in story mode that have specific requirements, but it's always something simple (like win, kill a certain general, or survive for X amount of time).

I wouldn't recommend it to people who are bothered by not being able to understand everything, or who don't like looking a few things up...but if the game looks appealing to you, generally speaking, I would highly recommend it.

It's really impressive how many beautiful cards there are, and amazing that all the characters have voices.

Kikkoken
1133th Post

"Re(6):If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Wed 6 Jun 01:48post reply

Mmh, sounds good, thanks for the info, Pollyanna, you've made my mouth wet now.

Shooo-rook
307th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Wed 6 Jun 06:12post reply

quote:

It took me a good 30 minutes to get used to the controls, but then all your actions start to fall into place, and it works surprisingly well. Having said that, you're very often in a situation where you have to combine the steering with double-tapping (for acceleration or brakes) or quick left-right scribbling for deflection, or click on an icon, which is as if you were letting go of your analog stick for a second. This challenges the precision of your steering as you seem to lose control of the plane. Strangely, I found it exciting to very often have to try to compensate for those effects. It's far from impossible and it just takes skills.
Multiplayer is as I said single cart, but it's up to 6 players. I've only played duels with wifi, and never tried the online. It is fun, but basic: 1-6 planes fighting in a closed space, with a strong advantage for those who collect the best power ups from the start (those powerups respawn). No team play, no option apart from a defence handicap. The intial chase after the power ups always makes me think of bomberman for some reason.
Sorry for the long review.

thanks for the long review. Are the missions redundant at all? Is the story good? And does all the stylus use mess up your screen?

פ ר ש נ ו
ר ע ב ת ן
ש ב ד ב ש
נ ת ב ע ר
ו נ ש ר ף

exodus
3880th Post

"Re(1):If you are looking for DS sleeper hits" , posted Wed 6 Jun 08:15post reply

quote:

no!!