X Japan returns - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2801 Views )

Zepy
1368th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"X Japan returns" , posted Mon 4 Jun 07:35:post reply

http://www.sponichi.co.jp/entertainment/news/2007/06/04/01.html

Yoshiki with guitarist Pata(41) and Bassist Heath(39). The part of hide will be played by guest artists.

They have a new song with Toshi.

I'm not very good with this music entertainment thing so I'll end the post before I make any mistakes.

[this message was edited by Zepy on Mon 4 Jun 07:38]

Replies:

Maou
1117th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(1):X Japan returns" , posted Mon 4 Jun 07:58post reply

Interestin'! They're one of the few Japanese bands I would recommend even to non-speakers, and one of my faves. I was thinking this would be about the future Gackt-Yoshiki project, which I'm really hoping to see, but this could be good, too.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

IkariDC
615th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):X Japan returns" , posted Mon 4 Jun 15:37post reply

What!? So now that Yoshiki has already announced that Skin, the "Super Band" which includes Gackt, Sugizo, Miyavi and himself is going to play at the Anime Expo in California, now also reveals he is going to finally revive X Japan as well, at the same time? After all of these years?

This is crazy! Also check out this interview whith Yoshiki.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Oroch
952th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):X Japan returns" , posted Mon 4 Jun 16:01:post reply

quote:
What!? So now that Yoshiki has already announced that Skin, the "Super Band" which includes Gackt, Sugizo, Miyavi and himself is going to play at the Anime Expo in California, now also reveals he is going to finally revive X Japan as well, at the same time? After all of these years?

This is crazy! Also check out this interview whith Yoshiki.

NO THIS IS JAAAAAAAAAAAAPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!!!

yea i'm bored, sue me

[this message was edited by Oroch on Mon 4 Jun 16:02]

Mokona
410th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):X Japan returns" , posted Tue 5 Jun 05:52post reply

quote:

So is it out now? Has anyone listened to it? is it any good?

God, I wish it wasn't Toshi singing. Hopefully, it's just this one song (since you seem to say he's not in the official line-up).

Blah!

IkariDC
616th Post

"Re(2):X Japan returns" , posted Tue 5 Jun 15:24post reply

quote:

So is it out now? Has anyone listened to it? is it any good?

God, I wish it wasn't Toshi singing. Hopefully, it's just this one song (since you seem to say he's not in the official line-up).

Well, to me it's a relief it's with Toshi. I can't imagine X Japan without him and that was the reason of the band's break-up in 1997, although Yoshiki was thinking of reforming the band with hide on vocals in 1998, right?

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Pollyanna
2230th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):X Japan returns" , posted Tue 5 Jun 20:38post reply

It's tough...X isn't X without Toshi, but I'm sure they could find a better vocalist. Have you heard his solo stuff? It's the sorriest excuse for music I've ever heard.

Anyway, as long as they either do a rock song AND a ballad, or just a rock song, I'm happy...but I think I can live without one more cheesy X ballad. (that isn't to say I dislike the ones they've made, just that I don't need another one). Maybe they can do an "Art of Life II", so we get it all.

I really thought Skin was going to be a short-term project...especially with so many arrogant people working together.

At the very least, I enjoyed hearing Miyavi and Sugizo play together at Jrock Revolution. I don't know if this is usual for Miyavi (I haven't kept up with him lately), but he had an interesting setup for the show. He had a painter (that painted one picture, then danced stupidly with an umbrella) a DJ, a guy making sound effects into a mic, and what I liked to call a "tapdancing leper". I say "leper" because he was clothed in rags. He was REALLY happy, too.

Friday night pretty much stunk other than that. It was great, because I was sitting next to Tatsurou and I was delighted to see him make an unhappy face and cover his ears when Duel Jewel was playing. I was inspired to do the same.

IkariDC
617th Post

"Re(4):X Japan returns" , posted Tue 5 Jun 21:44post reply

quote:
It's tough...X isn't X without Toshi, but I'm sure they could find a better vocalist. Have you heard his solo stuff? It's the sorriest excuse for music I've ever heard.

Oh yeah, I've got a friend who hunted down a VHS tape of Toshi's solo stuff and damn, it was lamentable! It's like Ryuichi Kawamura, as much as I love Luna Sea, his solo stuff is something you have to avoid, although Toshi's stuff is a lot more painful since he was the one who left the band.

quote:

Anyway, as long as they either do a rock song AND a ballad, or just a rock song, I'm happy...but I think I can live without one more cheesy X ballad. (that isn't to say I dislike the ones they've made, just that I don't need another one). Maybe they can do an "Art of Life II", so we get it all.

I agree! Art of live II would kick ass, but I doubt they'll ever attempt to do that.

quote:

I really thought Skin was going to be a short-term project...especially with so many arrogant people working together.

At the very least, I enjoyed hearing Miyavi and Sugizo play together at Jrock Revolution. I don't know if this is usual for Miyavi (I haven't kept up with him lately), but he had an interesting setup for the show. He had a painter (that painted one picture, then danced stupidly with an umbrella) a DJ, a guy making sound effects into a mic, and what I liked to call a "tapdancing leper". I say "leper" because he was clothed in rags. He was REALLY happy, too.

Friday night pretty much stunk other than that. It was great, because I was sitting next to Tatsurou and I was delighted to see him make an unhappy face and cover his ears when Duel Jewel was playing. I was inspired to do the same.

I didn't know Sugizo was tagging along with Miyavi! Sugizo is such a talented artist, but he is always switching between projects and stuff, that is difficult to follow. I wish he sticked with the "Sugizo & The spank your juice" one!

On the other side, I never liked Due'le quartz, and when Miyavi started his own solo proyect, I didn't like what he was doing and I've never given him another chance. Anyways, I don't quite understand yet why he was chosen to be a member of Skin, I don't see him in the same league as the other "superstars". What I know he is doing is catching the attention of all the newbie teens, the ones that fit in the 'Miyavi has a band with Gackt and two other people!' type, and I don't like that.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Evenor
562th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):X Japan returns" , posted Wed 6 Jun 00:54post reply

quote:

LOL @ Duel Jewel

Did you happen to catch something good like Kagrra,?

as for peeping ティッシュはここに不要です
in the bathroom エコロジストな僕なら

Pollyanna
2234th Post

"Re(5):X Japan returns" , posted Wed 6 Jun 02:55post reply

IkariDC: Miyavi is all over the place musically, but I would still say he's fairly talented. He can create music with a unique sound and a lot of variety. I can't say anyone plays the guitar quite like him, either.

He's popular for his look and personality, though, and in my opinion, his music can be an absolute mess sometimes. It's like...masturbation or something. It's so-called "art". Before he played, I told my friends "he's going to puke all over the audience, and we're going to eat it up." I think the tapdancing leper confirmed that.

quote:

LOL @ Duel Jewel

Did you happen to catch something good like Kagrra,?

I caught everyone. Kagrra was first. I don't think they're good, though. Their bassist was really on, and about half their set was decent (they played some ooooold stuff), but I think their music is weak. I can't get into it. I don't think it's bad music...some of it is okay, but their lead singer is an embarrassment. He's talentless as a vocalist and his dancing makes me want to cry.

But you know, when Duel Jewel was "playing", I wanted Kagrra back, because at least they know how to construct music competently, even if it's music I'm not crazy about.

I was lucky because on Friday, I had a far back seat, but I was sitting behind (most of) Mucc and Merry (and later Yoshiki was behind me), so if I lost interest in the bands, I could whisper to my friends about how disinterested the bands I like look.

Evenor
563th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):X Japan returns" , posted Wed 6 Jun 06:20post reply

quote:

I was lucky because on Friday, I had a far back seat, but I was sitting behind (most of) Mucc and Merry (and later Yoshiki was behind me), so if I lost interest in the bands, I could whisper to my friends about how disinterested the bands I like look.

That's pretty awesome! The only bands that played at revolution that I would have liked to seen were Mucc, Alice Nine,Kaggra, and Vidoll. Mucc's cover parade and Kuchiki no Tou is amazing. While Alice Nine isn't consistent, I really liked their Zekkeishoku album. Kaggra,'s discography is extremely intimidating, but my all time favorite release by them is their Gozen cd. I've been a Vidoll fan for a long time, I love their stuff.

I loved Merry's Modern Garde album, but their recent material isn't enjoyable. I find that the only thing that Miyavi has done that is noteworthy was his whole Yankee Skywalker period.

I use to really like D'espairsRay too; I saw them live in San Fransisco in 2005.

exodus
3879th Post

"Re(6):X Japan returns" , posted Wed 6 Jun 08:14post reply

woahhhhhhhhhhh that's weird. And indeed X isn't X sans toshi, but...well. Hmm. I hope they find somebody a bit different, so it's not just somebody trying to sound like him, ala every Moi dix Mois vocalist vs Gackt.

I hadn't heard of Skin either. Having Miyavi and Gackt is weird. I uh...I dunno. I don't understand.

man, this is what happens when I go on vacation, everything goes to shit!

IkariDC
618th Post

"Re(7):X Japan returns" , posted Wed 6 Jun 15:55post reply

Whoa, Yoshiki was behind you and you didn't feel like talking to him?

I like D'espairsRay a lot too! I'm going to see them on the 29th of this month, I can't wait! It's awesome how many japanese bands are starting to come to play to Spain. Next month I'm going to see Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra and Guitar Wolf! It seems that the Skapara did enjoy the show they did in Bilbao last year and they're repeating again, it was an awesome experience. Guitar Wolf came to Spain many years ago, but I didn't knew about it back then.

Also, I learned a lesson attending to Calmando Qual (now Twisted Clock) and Ayabie lives. I went to watch Calmando Qual because my friends were one of the national bands that played before them (they kicked ass!). I didn't like very much Calmando Qual because the albums sounded quite awful, but damn! It turned out that they are awesome when playing live! They sound fantastic and they put a lot of energy in the performance! They are also very funny and charismatic, and they aren't into visual kei anymore! I loved them, I could never imagine that the production in a studio recording could mean that much.

With Ayabie, they were doing a tour, but couldn't play in Madrid so in the end, they played in Bilbao. I went to support the fact that they were doing it in Bilbao because I really really disliked them. Once again, it tourned out to be a great show! It was very fun and I even enjoyed the music. Kenzo, the drummer, was quite good.

So I don't know what to think about "mediocre" bands anymore, until I see what are capable of doing live I won't say they stink.

quote:
woahhhhhhhhhhh that's weird. And indeed X isn't X sans toshi, but...well. Hmm. I hope they find somebody a bit different, so it's not just somebody trying to sound like him, ala every Moi dix Mois vocalist vs Gackt.

I hadn't heard of Skin either. Having Miyavi and Gackt is weird. I uh...I dunno. I don't understand.

man, this is what happens when I go on vacation, everything goes to shit!

This is quite old, whatt is new is the name of the band.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Pollyanna
2237th Post

"Re(8):X Japan returns" , posted Thu 7 Jun 20:32post reply

quote:
Whoa, Yoshiki was behind you and you didn't feel like talking to him?

Well, a few people noticed him and were pointing and staring, and I thought "Wouldn't Yoshiki rather you pay attention to this concert he put together than gawk at him?!" Of course, that's different than actually talking to him, but it soured my mood a bit, and I didn't know what I would say, anyway. ("Where's your neck brace?" perhaps)

However, on the second night, while I was spazzing out because D'espairs Ray played all 3 of my favorite songs (I said I'd be content with one), my friend ran into Yoshiki and said hi. He asked if she would like to have her picture taken with him and she agreed...but now that I think about it, that's kind of funny. It's not like SHE gets the picture...so I wonder if it'll be published somewhere. Maybe Yoshiki just thought she was hot and was using his star status as an excuse to get a picture of her to masturbate to later.

When I say that, it sounds like I don't like Yoshiki, but that really isn't the case at all. It's just Toshi I don't like.

As for Ayabie, I think they're very good for a "pretty" band. I mean, their music is nothing special, but it's competent. I think that's notable, because they could easily make it just by being pretty. There are plenty of absolutely terrible bands that have fans because they look good, and I was quite shocked that Ayabie wasn't one of them, even if I wouldn't listen to their music by choice.

Evenor

What Merry stuff have you heard? If you like Modern Garde, I can imagine you liking Nu Chemical Rhetoric. I mean, I love all of their stuff...they're my favorite band, hands down (thank you Brandon), but I can see where their newer stuff wouldn't be "hard" enough.

I like Peep Show because the guitar work is especially inventive and interesting, even on the slower songs. Although I definitely like them best when they're screamy, I think there's a lot to appreciate about their music when they aren't.

I felt good about their new single, because even though it was soft, the other tracks on it were adequately screamy.

I dunno...they're different, and as a result, I don't expect them to appeal to everyone, but I think they're undeniably talented either way around.

Ah, and why do you say you "used to really like D'espairs Ray"? Have you not listened to them lately, or do you not like their new stuff? Even though the two singles off of it are kinda lame, I l-o-v-e their new album. "Mirror" "69" and "Hollow" rock my world on a daily basis. I don't think the CD has as much "atmosphere" as their last one, but it's still really solid.

And God damn, their guitarist was hot live. He was channeling some super sexy rock energy.

I agree that Alice Nine isn't consistent. I liked half of the songs they played and hated the other half. Same thing with Girugamesh Gilgamesh. I think it was their lead singer who almost punched out the guitarist. He was swinging his fists wildly and missed the guy by an inch.

exodus
3888th Post

"Re(9):X Japan returns" , posted Fri 8 Jun 02:53post reply

quote:

What Merry stuff have you heard? If you like Modern Garde, I can imagine you liking Nu Chemical Rhetoric. I mean, I love all of their stuff...they're my favorite band, hands down (thank you Brandon), but I can see where their newer stuff wouldn't be "hard" enough.

wow, that really turned around! you didn't like them much before - glad I forced you to listen to them again.

nu chemical rhetoric is my favorite, but I only have that, peep show, and the oldies one.

Since this is the VK thread, what's everyone think of Buck Tick these days? they've certainly gone through a number of transitions, and are almost a dark wave band now, at least with the Trinity Blood song. They never really seemed to hit the popularity of their peers. I find they have two or three really good songs per album, but aren't too consistent.

Evenor
564th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(10):X Japan returns" , posted Fri 8 Jun 03:17post reply

quote:

Since this is the VK thread, what's everyone think of Buck Tick these days? they've certainly gone through a number of transitions, and are almost a dark wave band now, at least with the Trinity Blood song. They never really seemed to hit the popularity of their peers. I find they have two or three really good songs per album, but aren't too consistent.

My favorite Buck-Tick album is Darker than Darkness.

I do agree with your album comment. Some of their works only have a few worthy songs, but I can listen to love their darker than darkness and Sexual XXXXXX! releases fully. Their most recent single ( Rendezvous ) is alright.

Pollyana

I DESPISE Nu Chemical Rhetoric. That album never impressed me. I did like Peep Show though. I still listen to D'espairsray at times. It's usually their old stuff but their Mirror album is nice. I have to agree with you that Hollow is a great song!

What's your opinion on Vidoll?

Pollyanna
2239th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):X Japan returns" , posted Fri 8 Jun 06:21post reply

I had only listened to Merry's old stuff before, which I still don't like. It says "maybe these guys have potential, but this still isn't that great" to me. So yes, VERY glad you gave me Nu Chemical Rhetoric. That's one of my all-time favorite albums now. One of my favorite songs by them is a B-side called "Mado", have you heard it?

Merry is one of very few bands that I would immediately buy an album of without hearing a single song off of it.

That reminds me...I wonder if Inugami has a new album out...

As for Buck-Tick, I've only heard 3 of their albums, all wildly different. My favorite is...erm...I think it's called "Mona Lisa Overdrive" or something like that? The one where they sound just like Boowy is okay, too. I'll have to try some more stuff of theirs, but I want to let the other albums sink in a bit more before I become overwhelmed.

It's funny, but they're one of the few Japanese bands that I see Jrock people list as an influence. It's American bands, every time...which is really funny when you see, like...these Dir en Grey ripoff bands that, according to them, received no inspiration from them.

quote:

I DESPISE Nu Chemical Rhetoric. That album never impressed me. I did like Peep Show though. I still listen to D'espairsray at times. It's usually their old stuff but their Mirror album is nice. I have to agree with you that Hollow is a great song!

What's your opinion on Vidoll?

I can't figure it out. You like Modern Garde and Peep Show (which seem so different to me!), but not Nu Chemical Rhetoric...hmmm.

I wish D'espairs Ray, (or anyone, really) would make more music like "Hollow". It has a really nice, crunchy live, hard rock sound to it. I love the pounding bass, the pacing and the intense effect that each instrument has. There was this Daishi solo song that was kinda jazzy and really rocked out, and I said "I wish there was a band that made music like this." That band was Merry...is there a band that makes music like "Hollow"?

As for Vidoll...I didn't say anything, because I don't like them at all. They strike me as "just another visual band". I think their songs are very poorly organized (a pet peeve of mind, and one that has stopped me from really liking Nightmare) and although they're competent, they don't show any real skill or ingenuity in their playing.

So, with Merry I say "they're very talented, but I can see where people wouldn't like them", but with Vidoll I say "they aren't very talented, but I can see where people might like them."

IkariDC
620th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):X Japan returns" , posted Fri 8 Jun 15:38post reply

Buck-Tick is one of my all-time favourite bands now, although I still have to listen to a lot of their albums. It's quite true that they have albums that have some great tunes and the others don't live up to them, but they're still very enjoyable.

Rendezvous is good, but I liked Kagerou a lot more, although I feel the other way around about the B sides. I'm not into the clowny instrumental tracks of 13kai wa gekkou, but everything else in that album is just awesome. I loved Dress and the Trinity Blood version is better, so with these latest releases, I'm confident that the new album is going to be great as well.

Also, Atsushi Sakurai's Ai no wakusei is great, but Sacrifice is so damn good that makes the other songs look bad in comparison.

Polly, if you need to listen more of their stuff but you don't want to be overwhelmed with so many albums, just listen to Catalogue 1985-2005. It's (almost) the best of the best. They should have included Romanesque, In heaven and Gessekai and leave out Shippu no Blade Runner for example.

I listened to every Merry album (I think), and didn't find anything that catched my attention, so although I don't think they're bad, it doesn't appeal to me.

Regarding Vidoll, I liked their last album, but I haven't listened to anything else.

Other bands that I'm looking forward to are Rentrer en soi and UnsraW, and because japanese music is not only about VK, what do you think about The Back Horn's latest self titled album? I think it's good, but they are losing their edgier side with the time.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Evenor
566th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):X Japan returns" , posted Sat 9 Jun 01:52post reply

quote:

Other bands that I'm looking forward to are Rentrer en soi and UnsraW, and because japanese music is not only about VK, what do you think about The Back Horn's latest self titled album? I think it's good, but they are losing their edgier side with the time.

I find both of those bands to be lost causes

I use to love Rentrer en Soi! But sadly, they've become a sad excuse of a RARWRAWR LISTEN TO OUR PAIN band. Like they are trying to become the new dir en grey or something. I still fully enjoy their Kein no Hitsugi and Astre no Ito releases.

UnsraW started out with a bang. Their -9- and Gate of Death singles were great. But after that, I just got bored of their sound. It was the same thing over and over. While I love their whole look, I hope in their future releases they show some sort of variety.

Does anyone have a last.fm? I am sort of itching to creep on fellow mmcafe members music taste.

Here's mine.

Maou
1141th Post

"resurrect resurrection thread" , posted Fri 22 Jun 14:13post reply

Hmm, just when is this SKIN band going to give real tour dates? Seems to me they're doing the US thing in about 9 days, which doesn't give people a whole hell lot of time to buy tickets if the tour is starting? Or is it just a small-scale thing (is visual kei popular for real now in the US? I went to a crowded Dir en Grey concert in New York in January, but...)

exodus
3909th Post

"Re(1):resurrect resurrection thread" , posted Sat 23 Jun 02:27post reply

quote:
Hmm, just when is this SKIN band going to give real tour dates? Seems to me they're doing the US thing in about 9 days, which doesn't give people a whole hell lot of time to buy tickets if the tour is starting? Or is it just a small-scale thing (is visual kei popular for real now in the US? I went to a crowded Dir en Grey concert in New York in January, but...)

I think it's just a concert for anime expo?

Maou
1142th Post

"Re(2):resurrect resurrection thread" , posted Sat 23 Jun 03:36post reply

Sure, but it's theoretically supposed to be the start of their tour as a band, with it hitting Japan by November. I'm just curious as to where they'll be performing in the meantime.

exodus
3910th Post

"Re(3):resurrect resurrection thread" , posted Sat 23 Jun 04:55post reply

quote:
Sure, but it's theoretically supposed to be the start of their tour as a band, with it hitting Japan by November. I'm just curious as to where they'll be performing in the meantime.

in our dreams *swoon*

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
right?

End of Spoiler

Maou
1143th Post

"Re(4):resurrect resurrection thread" , posted Sat 23 Jun 06:12post reply

Oh totally.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I'll swoon if you will.

End of Spoiler

IkariDC
622th Post

"Buck-Tick" , posted Thu 28 Jun 15:51post reply

I was recently telling to my friends "dude, they should release a box with all of Buck-Tick albums for their 20th anniversary". ZOMG! Something similar happened! They are going to re-release 13 of their oldest albums the 5th of september, remastered and in cardboard box, at 2400 yen each. I'm extremely happy! Also, the new album is coming out just a few days later, on the 12th.

My only question here is, it seems that those cardboard box re-releases are quite popular in Japan, but it's just the same thing (cover sleeve art, booklet, etc.) only replacing the jewel box for a cardboard box?

And now something completly different: You can send a question to Yoshiki and if it is chosen, it will be answered at the Japan Expo in France.

Ask Yoshiki a question!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Maese Spt
368th Post

Silver Customer

"Q&A with Yoshiki" , posted Thu 28 Jun 16:20post reply

quote:

Ask Yoshiki a question!

How do I shot web?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

IkariDC
623th Post

"Re(1):Q&A with Yoshiki" , posted Fri 29 Jun 00:03post reply

I didn't expect you posting in a thread like this!

quote:

Ask Yoshiki a question!

How do I shot web?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Nobody expects the spanish Inquisition!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD