POTC:AWE - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1547 Views )

shin ramberk
305th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Bronze Customer

"POTC:AWE" , posted Sun 27 May 19:36post reply

Anyone catch this? Damn this movie is complicated. It took my friend and I a 15 minute conversation to figure out everyone's motivation in this movie.

I thought it was all right. But I seriously think the movies kept going down hill though. The first one was the best and the sequels just kept getting more and more convoluted and longer.

My favorite plot didn't even get that much screen time.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
The Calypso/Davey Jones romance was my favorite plot point and we didn't even see them reunited at the end. Oh well.

End of Spoiler

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Replies:

Freeter
4381th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"CRABS" , posted Sun 27 May 21:37post reply

Better than Spidey 3 (hell, any summer movie is at this point), but went on too long. Chow Yun-Fat was underused, Keira/Orlando scenes were super cheesy, and the ending was ridiculous (see spoiler).

Johnny Depp saves the film once again because Jack Sparrow is just that damn awesome (he's the J. Jonah Jameson of the film, only with a leading role). The real stars of the show were the midget and the monkey though...they deserve their own crew.

As for that ridiculous ending, how is it that watching TWO ships hammer on ONE measly boat causes an ENTIRE ARMADA to RETREAT? My friend even said, "shouldn't the vice captain have issued the order to attack?". My guess is Disney didn't want to animate a huge ship war since it would be too costly (and what would they use the money on instead? Chicken Little 2? idiots).

The CAAAALYPSOOOO subplot was stupid and shouldn't have been included. First it was Keira, then it was voodoo woman...make up your minds already.

The transformation scene was funny as hell though. That's a HUGE bitch...with crabs

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
2847th Post

"Re(1):CRABS" , posted Mon 28 May 04:12post reply

Heh heh. Yeah, my friend made the same crabs joke... surprised neither of us thought of

"that's a huge bitch!"

End of Spoiler

though. I ageed with what's been said so far, the Will and Elizabeth stuff got kind of cheesy, certain characters could have been used a little more, and this sequel was way better than Spider-Man 3. I had a mixed reaction to the ending... thought it worked well story-wise, but didn't like the result. I went in with really low expectations, and I was pleasantly surprised with the result.

NARUTO
3545th Post

"Re(2):CRABS" , posted Tue 29 May 18:14post reply

BTW did someone stayed after the credit to see if something hidden was shwon like in the 2 first movies??

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Ishmael
2832th Post

"Re(3):CRABS" , posted Wed 30 May 00:45post reply

For a lot of the running time it felt like PotC3 was trying to resolve plot lines that I didn't even realize existed. For a film that was so absurdly busy it's a shame that it's finale hinged on the whole Will/Elizabeth love story, since that's easily the least interesting of the dozen or so stories that were featured.

A few random thoughts:

Keith Richards was weirder looking than the glob of programming that was Davy Jones. I also suspect that wasn't a costume and was instead what Richards wore to the set.

If there are going to be two armadas facing off I want to see some multi ship battles instead of having everyone turn around and go home because it's time to end the movie.

I do like that every mildly sympathetic character became a pirate by the end of the movie. Now there's some Disney movie morality I can get behind!

quote:
BTW did someone stayed after the credit to see if something hidden was shwon like in the 2 first movies??

It was a rather nice one this time with an epilogue set ten years after the movie that featured Will, Elizabeth and their child.

End of Spoiler

Black_Hayato
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):CRABS" , posted Wed 30 May 01:33post reply

I liked it a lot. I mean it has its flaws, but I can't imagine there ever being a better trio of movies about pirates. Maybe not for another 10~15 yrs.

CharlesProphony
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):CRABS" , posted Wed 30 May 01:36post reply

When calypso started to grow, I thought a little loudly about Daryl Hannah and Allison Hayes... Well, at least some people around me started laughing.

Ex-Prophony