AoF Anthology - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2177 Views )

Ishmael
2829th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"AoF Anthology" , posted Fri 25 May 00:29post reply

Just in case you missed it, the AoF Anthology was actually released in the US. Has anyone else had a chance to try this out? It appears to be a decent port but I never claimed to be an expert on AoF. The crazed, unplayable AI in AoF2 was still there at least.

Also, my thanks to Toxico for writing up an FAQ on the overlooked AoF3. Now that I'll actually be able to spend some time with that game I won't be completely lost when I play.

Replies:

Burning Ranger
1479th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):AoF Anthology" , posted Fri 25 May 10:39post reply

quote:
Just in case you missed it, the AoF Anthology was actually released in the US. Has anyone else had a chance to try this out? It appears to be a decent port but I never claimed to be an expert on AoF. The crazed, unplayable AI in AoF2 was still there at least.

Also, my thanks to Toxico for writing up an FAQ on the overlooked AoF3. Now that I'll actually be able to spend some time with that game I won't be completely lost when I play.

Not too pysched about an AOF collection, but I get the feeling that if this doesn't sell well, then maybe Fatal Fury or Real Bout collection won't make it over here.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Ammadeau
1544th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):AoF Anthology" , posted Fri 25 May 12:07post reply

It's only $15. The games seem to be spot on emulations of the AES versions, with arranged soundtrack and sprite re-coloring options. AoF is pretty much worthless, but 2 and 3 are fun. I wish they were more than perfect though, because on my TV they have some nasty field seperation. No in game movelist, no art gallery, no network play, no nothing. Very sparse for a collection. I'll be doing a formal review of it sometime in the new few days.

Right now I'm pretty eh. If you want some fighting action, it has it, but without another person to play against, it's not going to last you all that long.

Toxico
4264th Post

"Re(3):AoF Anthology" , posted Fri 25 May 12:33post reply

quote:
Right now I'm pretty eh. If you want some fighting action, it has it, but without another person to play against, it's not going to last you all that long.

Playing AoF is like looking a 50s movie, you have to know a lot of it, sit patiently through it and be able to suck up the bad parts of it to really graps the fun

Ammadeau
1546th Post

"Re(4):AoF Anthology" , posted Fri 25 May 13:57post reply

quote:
Playing AoF is like looking a 50s movie, you have to know a lot of it, sit patiently through it and be able to suck up the bad parts of it to really graps the fun

Maybe for 2, but 3 doesn't really feel that dated. The problem is there's not that many characters, the AI is sort of lukewarm, and there's no unlockables or anything. It's hard to have the motivation to play alone, especially when XI and the SF Anthology are sitting on the same shelf.

Just a Person
897th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):AoF Anthology" , posted Fri 25 May 21:54post reply

quote:
It's only $15. The games seem to be spot on emulations of the AES versions, with arranged soundtrack and sprite re-coloring options. AoF is pretty much worthless, but 2 and 3 are fun. I wish they were more than perfect though, because on my TV they have some nasty field seperation. No in game movelist, no art gallery, no network play, no nothing. Very sparse for a collection. I'll be doing a formal review of it sometime in the new few days.

Is Geese in AoF2, at least? Also, is he selectable? And what about Mr.Big and Mr.Karate in AoF, or Sinclair and Wyler in AoF3?

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Toxico
4266th Post

"Re(4):AoF Anthology" , posted Sat 26 May 01:09post reply

quote:
Is Geese in AoF2, at least? Also, is he selectable? And what about Mr.Big and Mr.Karate in AoF, or Sinclair and Wyler in AoF3?

If they truly are the AES version, sinclair and wyler can be code unlocked in AoF3, in AoF 1 & 2, I don't quite remember, but perhaps there is a code to do so as well

ora ora

Hagen de Merak
946th Post

"Re(5):AoF Anthology" , posted Sat 26 May 02:11post reply

quote:
It's hard to have the motivation to play alone, especially when XI and the SF Anthology are sitting on the same shelf.

Has XI come out in America or is it Japan only?

Burning Ranger
1480th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):AoF Anthology" , posted Sat 26 May 06:22post reply

quote:
It's only $15.

FIFTEEN? Hmm, I may have to reconsider.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Amakusa
696th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):AoF Anthology" , posted Sat 26 May 11:55post reply

quote:
It's hard to have the motivation to play alone, especially when XI and the SF Anthology are sitting on the same shelf.

Japan only.

I found Kagami's sword in a junk yard.
I will rule the world and find that truly good cup of coffee.
"Dink-a-dink-a-dink-a-do."

Hagen de Merak
947th Post

"Re(7):AoF Anthology" , posted Sun 27 May 00:20post reply

quote:

Japan only.

damn, well i hope they bring it over.

Red Falcon
5791th Post

"Re(5):AoF Anthology" , posted Sun 27 May 02:41:post reply

Barring usage of debug bios, Mr. Big and Mr. Karate are not playable in AOF 1, and Geese is not playable in AOF 2, so if this anthology thing is really just emulated versions of the games, you probably aren't going to be using them.

And from Toxico's marvelous FAQ:
For Sinclair: Put the cursor on Jin, press B, move left B, move left B, keep like that until Robert.

For Wyler: Put the cursor on Robert and press C, right C,right C, keep it up until Jin.

As a side note, they ARE also time released (which is how I remembered them, I never played AOF 3 much) but I doubt the time release aspect is practical in terms of an emulated version.

Best site EVER:Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sun 27 May 02:42]

Ammadeau
1547th Post

"Re(6):AoF Anthology" , posted Sun 27 May 05:07post reply

Sinclair and Wyler are available from the start in AoF3, ditto for Mr. Karate in AoF1. I didn't see Geese, but then I didn't face him yet either. I kind of doubt he's an unlockable. Maybe these are modded roms or something, because you can tell there's an emulator overlay with how the menu works, but they do have the sprite color editing...

Ammadeau
1551th Post

"Forget this. Fatal Fury vol1 coming to US" , posted Thu 31 May 03:34post reply

Just announced we're getting the first volume of the Fatal Fury collection, plus there's pretty strong evidence we'll also be blessed with KOF XI. Oh yeah, gonna buy it all over again. That's one game that's worth twice the price.

Variable Savior
393th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Forget this. Fatal Fury vol1 coming to" , posted Thu 31 May 07:08post reply

quote:
Just announced we're getting the first volume of the Fatal Fury collection, plus there's pretty strong evidence we'll also be blessed with KOF XI. Oh yeah, gonna buy it all over again. That's one game that's worth twice the price.

Hmmm... what's on volume one?

Blood marks heaven's path

Abster
315th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Forget this. Fatal Fury vol1 coming to" , posted Thu 31 May 07:15post reply

quote:

Hmmm... what's on volume one?

Fatal Fury
Fatal Fury 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fatal Fury 3

hikarutilmitt
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Forget this. Fatal Fury vol1 coming to" , posted Thu 31 May 07:22:post reply

quote:

This would please me greatly because it can be a pain to switch discs (I'm lazy thanks to HDLoader, now) and it doesn't work without random freezing on HDLoader but I really, really want the game due to it being awesome.

EDIT: just found this out:

http://www.snkplaymoreusa.com/in-development.php

Seems we pretty much will be getting it, though with AoF being $15 and I imagine FFBA1 likely being the same price, $20 at most, $15-$20 KoFXI would make me a very, very, very happy person.

[this message was edited by hikarutilmitt on Thu 31 May 07:33]

Just a Person
901th Post

"Re(1):Forget this. Fatal Fury vol1 coming to" , posted Thu 31 May 21:37post reply

quote:

Actually, I prefer the AoF games over the Fatal Fury ones. Don't know why, even though FF has better playability and animation, I like the AoF story better (except the one from AoF3, but its animations make up for it), same for the characters. Some of them would be nice in KoF, like Karman Cole or Jin Fuha (Lenny Creston and Rody Birts as well, but KoF already has Whip, so Lenny would be redundant... and Rody makes no sense without Lenny...).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Ishmael
2834th Post

"Re(2):Forget this. Fatal Fury vol1 coming to" , posted Fri 1 Jun 00:20post reply

The return of Fatal Fury and the possibility of KoF11 making to the US is very good news indeed. Cheng Sinzan and Lick Joe are both making a comeback this year? What a great time to be alive!

Abster
316th Post

Bronze Customer

"NGBC also heading stateside finally" , posted Fri 1 Jun 06:38post reply

In addition, check that same page again and you'll see they added Neo Geo Battle Colliseum to the list. My guess is they finally decided to do some budget titles, since KOF XI has a suggested retail price of $14.99.

Evenor
561th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Forget this. Fatal Fury vol1 coming to" , posted Fri 1 Jun 07:29post reply

quote:
The return of Fatal Fury and the possibility of KoF11 making to the US is very good news indeed. Cheng Sinzan and Lick Joe are both making a comeback this year? What a great time to be alive!

WE MUST DANCE IN THE STREETS!

Seriously, this is great news. Maybe the US might get Tenka in the future as well!

(I can dream at least)

as for peeping ティッシュはここに不要です
in the bathroom エコロジストな僕なら

Ammadeau
1552th Post

"Re(1):NGBC also heading stateside finally" , posted Fri 1 Jun 12:06post reply

quote:
In addition, check that same page again and you'll see they added Neo Geo Battle Colliseum to the list. My guess is they finally decided to do some budget titles, since KOF XI has a suggested retail price of $14.99.

Hot damn! I'm probably going to get review copies of all of these, but in case I do piss off SNK with my AoF review, I'll be buying up these three without hesitation.

Ishmael
2836th Post

"Re(2):NGBC also heading stateside finally" , posted Fri 1 Jun 23:28post reply

quote:
Seriously, this is great news. Maybe the US might get Tenka in the future as well!

(I can dream at least)

SNK is testing the waters with these early titles in order to make sure that the return of the SS series is as successful as possible. Or, at least, that's what I keep telling myself. Still, these latest annoucments are far more than what I expected to hear so I can't be too critical that I'm not getting everything at once.

quote:

Hot damn! I'm probably going to get review copies of all of these, but in case I do piss off SNK with my AoF review, I'll be buying up these three without hesitation.

With what a number of people have said over the years about the AoF games you would think that SNK would have developed a thick skin by now when it comes to that series.

exodus
3882th Post

"Re(1):AoF Anthology" , posted Wed 6 Jun 08:17post reply

quote:
Just in case you missed it, the AoF Anthology was actually released in the US.

holy crap. I did totally miss it!

I'll go pick it up cause...you know. I'm a sucker.

Ammadeau
1553th Post

"Re(3):NGBC also heading stateside finally" , posted Wed 6 Jun 12:03post reply

quote:
With what a number of people have said over the years about the AoF games you would think that SNK would have developed a thick skin by now when it comes to that series.

Eh, PR people are funny that way. Sometimes you can hand them low scoring review after review, and they still throw you free games, and then you say or do something that seems very minor, and suddenly no more freebies.