Odin Sphere freakout thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3907 Views )

Maou
1108th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Mon 21 May 02:58:post reply

This should be the Odin Sphere love/hate thread.

I'm grabbing my copy tomorrow and expect to be wowed at least as much as with Dracula Nocturne/SOTN. The venerable Toasty Frog Parish's comments ought to be a good placeholder in the meantime.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Mon 21 May 02:59]

Replies:

Pollyanna
2223th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Mon 21 May 04:26post reply

The gameplay still looks shaky enough that I'm stopping myself from getting TOO excited until I have a chance to play it. (although I admit that even if the game totally stinks, I'll play it all the way through) Also, I still have Grim Grimoire to masturbate to for now.

Although I do admit, when I saw the trailer for Odin Sphere the first time, I CRIED. I don't know if it was like...tears of joy...but it was like my heart was singing.

In other beautiful game related news, I really enjoyed the Trusty Bell demo and I'm hopelessly swallowed in Sangokushi Taisen right now.

It's a good time for beauty!

Evenor
559th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Mon 21 May 04:30:post reply

quote:
This should be the Odin Sphere love/hate thread.

I'm grabbing my copy tomorrow and expect to be wowed at least as much as with Dracula Nocturne/SOTN. The venerable Toasty Frog Parish's comments ought to be a good placeholder in the meantime.

I getting a copy on Wednesday (US Release).
First hand impression's are extremely welcomed!

Pollyanna : Does trusty bell play like Radiata stories?

as for peeping ティッシュはここに不要です
in the bathroom エコロジストな僕なら

[this message was edited by Evenor on Mon 21 May 04:36]

Holiday
2577th Post

"Re(1):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Mon 21 May 07:30post reply

Zepy has played it as well?

Anyway I like it a lot from the few hours I put into it. Been a while since I had the chance to mash up hordes of bad creatures side scrolling style. There's also some item mixing bits, and while it's not as complex as the Atelier games it does give a nice breather to the action.

Bad points - the occasional slowdown. Or maybe it's my PS2 acting up?

Then again... Shining Wind has most of my PS2's attention today
It's nice to see that the loading and slowdown issues that plagued Shining Tears has been mostly elimnated this time. GJ!

Maou
1108th Post

"Re(2):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Mon 21 May 08:25post reply

Nah, I gather that the occasional slowdown definitely happens from Parish's 1up show thing. But somehow I survived Gamorath slowdown in Nocturne in the Moonlight, so I think I'll handle it here, too...especially since this is the most exciting 2D action RPG I've seen since then, 10 years ago.

Pollyanna
2224th Post

"Re(2):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Mon 21 May 13:14post reply

quote:

Pollyanna : Does trusty bell play like Radiata stories?

No, thank God. It's more like Valkyrie Profile 2. Well, I mean, really it's just different. You move one character at a time and have a select amount of AP. When it's their turn, you can run around, attack, special attack and use an items until your AP runs out. Nothing else moves during this time. When enemies attack you, you can reduce damage by "blocking" at the last minute, kinda like the old Mario RPG (which I'm very pleased with).

Oh, and you have different attacks depending on if you're standing in light or shadow.

I thought it was fun enough. Radiata Stories I found unspeakably boring, even if I liked the world and the visuals.

Back onto Odin Sphere...the plot looks really fun. Or like...tragic, which is my idea of fun at least.

Yrrgh...I won't be able to get around to it for quite some time, though. I'm about to go on a trip, and I'm sure I'll get hammered with work right afterward.

Zepy
1363th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Mon 21 May 16:58post reply

quote:
occasional slowdown

Nono certain stages will have you running at half the framerate for most of the stage, then run at what feels like 1/4 of the framerate for the boss fight.

Occasional slowdownってレベルじゃねぞ!!

The story is still pretty chunky like in Princess Crown though. The stories look like they have potential... but they just don't seem to be told very well. I haven't completely finished the game however, they probably have conclusions to the stories after I finish with every character.

The action's alright. It doesn't give the kind of good feeling like Guardian Heroes, but there certainly is something about it. Blocking is so useless however, the character actions are so slow that blocking seldomly makes it in time unless you were really trying to block the attack, and even when you block, the damage you take is so high that it doesn't really make a difference. And most of the normal enemies can't get stunned! They attack you while you're hitting them, and your attack motion is so slow that you can't dodge their attacks most of the time either, it's so annoying when you're trying to beat them without getting hit.

But yeah it's pretty fun. Certainly vastly better than Princess Crown which I dropped after finishing the Gradriel chapter. I'm on my third character now and it continues to feel fun, but I'm not sure how much longer it can continue to stay fun since all the characters are really fighting the same bosses and enemies but in different orders.

P.S. The game is awesome when you upgrade attack power only and leave your hp low. It never feels better to die 32847 times on a boss because he kills you in one hit.

Holiday
2578th Post

"Re(4):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Mon 21 May 17:59post reply

occasional slowdown Exciting Bullet-time action

Haha, I guess occasional was the wrong word to use. Guess I'm too used to slowdowns in shooters.

Passed the game with Gwen on normal and it took me about 20+ hours. Could have finished it faster but I wasted a lot of time exp farming and fooling around with the items. One down three(?) to go?

Maese Spt
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Tue 22 May 22:33post reply

The looks and the fairy tale atmosphere feel really appealing to me... however, I'm afraid the gameplay will stink beyond any possible redemption. But heck, I have to admit, the game does look (and sound) gorgeous!

The thing is, is sheer beauty enough reason to engage oneself on a god-knows-how-many-hours-long RPG?

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Time Mage
2552th Post

"Re(6):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Wed 23 May 01:46post reply

quote:
The looks and the fairy tale atmosphere feel really appealing to me... however, I'm afraid the gameplay will stink beyond any possible redemption. But heck, I have to admit, the game does look (and sound) gorgeous!

The thing is, is sheer beauty enough reason to engage oneself on a god-knows-how-many-hours-long RPG?

That's exactly what I'm asking myself too... Although I have to admit that having Sakimoto in charge of the OST makes it appealing enough.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

exodus
3878th Post

"Re(7):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Wed 23 May 05:13post reply

zepy's impressions make it sound like it has a lot of the good and bad bits from Princess Crown. Somehow I wish they'd chosen a slightly better designed game to come back with, but so it goes. I still haven't played it even though I've had it for three weeks. aaaaaaargh!

Holiday
2579th Post

"OS on PS3" , posted Thu 24 May 17:58post reply

Same slowdown issues when playing this on a 1st gen PS3, if anyone's curious. Although I think that the loading times are slightly faster.

Also, I think that this is the only RPG I can think of where you can kill yourself with your own spells. Realistic!

HAYATO
779th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):OS on PS3" , posted Thu 24 May 20:34post reply

quote:
Also, I think that this is the only RPG I can think of where you can kill yourself with your own spells. Realistic!

Well this doesn't sound very exciting to me, not to mention its usefulness...

Ishmael
2828th Post

"Re(2):OS on PS3" , posted Fri 25 May 00:17post reply

Thanks to this thread I'm going into Odin Sphere with an awareness of the difficulties I will encounter. Still, the visuals and over-all aesthetic of the game are so impressive that I want to lick the game. Or I would if I could find a copy for sale. All the stores that I visited last night had quickly sold out of their meager stock. I'm not sure how large a market there is for a game like this but it seems to be a bit bigger than what the folks who place orders for stores figured on.

nobinobita
103th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):OS on PS3" , posted Fri 25 May 03:03post reply

quote:
I'm not sure how large a market there is for a game like this but it seems to be a bit bigger than what the folks who place orders for stores figured on.

It's sold out everywhere I went as well (and I'm in the American south right now). Thankfully I preordered a copy. It gives me hope for the future that so many people are interested in this game.

Oh and the game rocks. I'd give it an A+++ for graphics alone. But it's also alot of fun to play and I like the story and the characters so far.

Gojira
2144th Post

"Re(4):OS on PS3" , posted Fri 25 May 05:30post reply

quote:

It's sold out everywhere I went as well (and I'm in the American south right now). Thankfully I preordered a copy. It gives me hope for the future that so many people are interested in this game.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it was just Atlus' usual low distribution that led it to sell out. It's popular sure, but not THAT popular.

nobinobita
104th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):OS on PS3" , posted Fri 25 May 05:41post reply

quote:

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure it was just Atlus' usual low distribution that led it to sell out. It's popular sure, but not THAT popular.

Yeah. There's a very good chance of that. Still I could visually confirm that they had at least a stack of more than a dozen of them at the EBgames and Gamestops that I went to and they were almost all preordered.

And also, there seemed to be alot of buzz over the games. People were trying to get it everywhere I went (including Best Buy which won't get it until June for some reason), and not just older gamers. It really warmed my heart to see lots of younger kids (maybe early high school age)who probably didn't grow up on SNES who were still real excited over the game.

I mean, it's not going to be a million seller, but it should show that there's a lively niche for this kinda game and that the fans will probably consistently buy them.

Holiday
2581th Post

"Re(6):OS on PS3" , posted Fri 1 Jun 03:38post reply

So for those of you who've played it, what do you think of it so far?
I've nearly unlocked everything, and I'm going to try something crazy like a no HP upgrade run or something next.

For me, one memorable moment was

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
taking Brigand down with nothing but Cornelius's spinning attack. It was like Sonic the Hedgehog vs Robotnik in 2D all over again~
I love this game

End of Spoiler

Maou
1113th Post

"Re(7):OS on PS3" , posted Fri 1 Jun 09:36post reply

Just played about an hour of it and found it charming and pretty, though the inability to do anything with the spoken dialogue besides either skip it totally or listen to it totally is lame (maybe that's different in the US version?). Can't wait to play it more once Tales of the Abyss is done.

Holiday

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

Anything that channels the old Sonic Eggman clashes, especially the huge war marchine in Sonic 2, makes we wanna blast through Odin Sphere right away. Can't wait.

End of Spoiler

HAYATO
782th Post

"Re(8):OS on PS3" , posted Fri 1 Jun 14:14post reply

It's a nice game. Too bad the crappy animation ruined the experience for me. Actually I've just tested it today so I guess it's just a matter of getting accustomed to the frame rate and enjoy the game, but it deeply shocked me...

Perhaps it was something made on purpose, but the only thing I know for sure is that OS in motion looks quite similar to THIS

hikarutilmitt
401th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(9):OS on PS3" , posted Fri 1 Jun 14:50post reply

quote:
It's a nice game. Too bad the crappy animation ruined the experience for me. Actually I've just tested it today so I guess it's just a matter of getting accustomed to the frame rate and enjoy the game, but it deeply shocked me...

Perhaps it was something made on purpose, but the only thing I know for sure is that OS in motion looks quite similar to THIS

That "crappy" animation is part of the game's look, though. The point, if you will. It's not supposed to animate perfectly smooth, not only would it be more difficult, take longer and possibly not look as good due to having less memory available, but it just wouldn't "fit" within the context of the game's settings and style.

HAYATO
783th Post

"Re(10):OS on PS3" , posted Tue 5 Jun 01:04post reply

quote:

That "crappy" animation is part of the game's look, though. The point, if you will. It's not supposed to animate perfectly smooth, not only would it be more difficult, take longer and possibly not look as good due to having less memory available, but it just wouldn't "fit" within the context of the game's settings and style.

I partially agree with you: it would take longer to make decent animation, and I'm pretty sure it would be a harder task, both for the developers to create the frames and for the machine's hardware to handle them but, you know, we aren't talking about a Sega Saturn... IMO, PS2 hardware should be able to flawlessly show even twice the amount of frames per char OS does. C'mon, we've seen much more impressive things on PS2...

And about the game's "Settings and style"... thats nonsense. I didn't know Asgardians were supposed to be a bunch of crippled giants and lolis...

a beholder
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Wed 6 Jun 05:12post reply

I heard good things about it from friends

The trailers were nice

Got the game

put it in, watched intro

cool, flying through the air

whoah, barbarians fighting knights

huge wolf barbarian, really cool

then

HOLY SHIT UNICORN KNIGHT

started gameplay, jumped around, tried stuff out
jumped in until I was dizzy, found out I can't just leap in and mash. Gameplay is straightforward and captivating. Noticed the dudes I was fighting had beetle shell shields. cool

back to the castle "who's the demon lord?" I thought.
talked to some dudes
then

HOLY SHIT, BRIGAN

just sitting there, breathing. Wow, who knew sitting and breathing could be soo awesome

then

Stomp

Stomp

Odin

wow

more gameplay

flyin' fairy's made fights tougher, got the hang of planting, spells are quite useful, doesn't make the game too easy though.

Then first boss...

damn, wow, awesome dragon

then the dragon attacked me by spitting out a giant ball of armor that clanks around, then sucks it back in.

Odin Sphere, I love it.

Red Falcon
5793th Post

"Re(9):OS on PS3" , posted Wed 6 Jun 11:39post reply

Crappy? I love the way it looks. And Brigan (THOR, cough... he even has Mjolnir, Megingjord, and red hair...) is awesome. Too bad he's such a bastard.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Ishmael
2840th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):OS on PS3" , posted Wed 6 Jun 22:45post reply

quote:

And about the game's "Settings and style"... thats nonsense. I didn't know Asgardians were supposed to be a bunch of crippled giants and lolis...

Well they should be. If Asgard had kept up with the times and given the people what they want it would probably be one of the world's dominant religions.

As for Odin Sphere I've found I cannot continue a game before I play with the cat a bit first. More games should feature pet interaction at the start of gameplay. For example, it would add an interesting wrinkle to the GTA games if the main character could lovingly spend some time with his pets before he went outside and ran over all his neighbors.

Red Falcon
5795th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):OS on PS3" , posted Thu 7 Jun 02:37post reply

quote:

Well they should be. If Asgard had kept up with the times and given the people what they want it would probably be one of the world's dominant religions.
It's still around in Iceland and some other Scandinavian countries. A real shame the oral tradition was so totally destroyed, we really don't know 90% of the myths, ha ha. I want to play as Brigan, ha ha ha ha.

quote:
As for Odin Sphere I've found I cannot continue a game before I play with the cat a bit first.

Doesn't everyone?

a beholder
2th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):OS on PS3" , posted Thu 7 Jun 03:18post reply

quote:

For example, it would add an interesting wrinkle to the GTA games if the main character could lovingly spend some time with his pets before he went outside and ran over all his neighbors.

that would only result in players demanding they be able to run over their cats.

KTallguy
904th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(8):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Thu 7 Jun 16:18:post reply

quote:
zepy's impressions make it sound like it has a lot of the good and bad bits from Princess Crown. Somehow I wish they'd chosen a slightly better designed game to come back with, but so it goes. I still haven't played it even though I've had it for three weeks. aaaaaaargh!

Although the game gets repetitive, it's really fun. I love the art, alchemy, and recipe systems, and the combat is deeper than I thought it would be (although it's still kind of shallow).

This game recycles a lot, but at least it's recycling beautiful art and music. Oh the music is fricking heavenly too :) Sakimoto, same composer as FFXII.

Play it!

Play to win.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Thu 7 Jun 16:19]

Pollyanna
2235th Post

"Re(9):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Thu 7 Jun 20:08post reply

I thought Sakimoto did a good job on the Grim Grimoire soundtrack, but I don't like most of the music in Odin Sphere at all. At the very least, I don't like the songs for as LONG as I have to listen to some of them. It's an added nuisance that I can't play the game properly with the sound off.

The way you move from map to map and the lack of variety in those maps is very limiting, but I like how they provide a unique challenge for each map...how even grunt enemies can be deadly if they're organized correctly. In that respect, it reminds me a bit of God Hand.

But unlike God Hand, it is cheap and severely limits you in what you can do. Not getting new moves/skills/spells/interesting equipment as you move along makes me very unmotivated to keep playing, especially considering how long the game is and how incredibly CHEAP it is.

There are entirely too many "unavoidable hits" and "catch 22" situations in the game. Sure, you can win with low experience and skill, but you're going to suffer constantly thanks to unavoidable, high damaging hits or situations that practically result in instant death.

I love challenging games and I love getting my ass beat in games, but I find Odin Sphere frustrating, not gratifying. If you got more than just "higher numbers" from gaining experience, then I would probably be having a great time. I'd be motivated to do levels over again to unlock new skills that would help me do better on tough fights...but as is, it seems like the most effective way of winning fights is using a 1/2 damage item, the double attack skill, and pounding on the attack button.

But of course, it's beautiful, and I'm enjoying the plot (even if it is a bit "sloppy", I guess?). I can't help but be excited about the game, rather I'm playing it or not...it's just a shame that it's so damn mediocre.

(....and the load time on the restaurants drives me insane.)

Red Falcon
5798th Post

"Re(10):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Fri 8 Jun 02:16:post reply

Pollyanna, just keep at the game. A lot of the enemies become very predictable (especially the bosses) and it ends up being really not that hard once you get the hang of it. Honestly, well organized groups of grunts are often a lot more annoying or dangerous than any bosses, especially if you're going for an A or S. Although for no reason at all I had a lot of trouble with the group of two berserkers. Just learning what the enemy does so you can react works well. A lot of them can't turn around worth shit, so just jumping over them and attacking from behind as soon as they indicate they're going to do something works wonders.

Edit: Oh yes, and the slowdown in the netherworld DOES irritate me, especially on Odette (shame, as she is otherwise a really cool boss.) And painkillers are incredibly abusive. They make everything many many times easier.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Fri 8 Jun 02:19]

Pollyanna
2238th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Fri 8 Jun 06:03post reply

quote:
Pollyanna, just keep at the game. A lot of the enemies become very predictable (especially the bosses) and it ends up being really not that hard once you get the hang of it. Honestly, well organized groups of grunts are often a lot more annoying or dangerous than any bosses, especially if you're going for an A or S. Although for no reason at all I had a lot of trouble with the group of two berserkers. Just learning what the enemy does so you can react works well. A lot of them can't turn around worth shit, so just jumping over them and attacking from behind as soon as they indicate they're going to do something works wonders.

Edit: Oh yes, and the slowdown in the netherworld DOES irritate me, especially on Odette (shame, as she is otherwise a really cool boss.) And painkillers are incredibly abusive. They make everything many many times easier.

You're absolutely right about the bosses being easier. I've beaten a few bosses/minibosses without even getting hit. It's only the ones with irritating reinforcements that give me real trouble. Getting behind them is indeed the key to victory.

And you're also right that as you play more, the enemy patterns become more clear...and you even develop "group tactics" for different combinations of enemies.

But still...I'm finding myself in too many situations where I don't have the level of control that I want. Do you ever do levels over/stop to get experience? I think, if I do that just a LITTLE as a safeguard against accidents that I know are going to happen, then I'll probably be less frustrated, even if I'm not crazy about the game.

Red Falcon
5800th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Fri 8 Jun 06:16post reply

quote:
But still...I'm finding myself in too many situations where I don't have the level of control that I want. Do you ever do levels over/stop to get experience? I think, if I do that just a LITTLE as a safeguard against accidents that I know are going to happen, then I'll probably be less frustrated, even if I'm not crazy about the game.

Yes, I do... as soon as the option to go back to completed areas pops up, I do just that. By the way, has anyone ever noticed a chest pop out of a boss after they get killed? There is no way to open it in time, as it just cuts back to a "drama" scene...

Holiday
2583th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Fri 8 Jun 09:39:post reply

quote:
By the way, has anyone ever noticed a chest pop out of a boss after they get killed? There is no way to open it in time, as it just cuts back to a "drama" scene...

Yeah, I see that a lot with MegamanMercedes. I usually stick the Luck Stone on her because combining that with her Attack makes enemies puke out treaure chests a lot. After I've mowed down a huge horde there's usually a small landfill of junk waiting for me at the end.

You're not missing anything special though - I think I've only seen Painkillers, Materials and Ancient Crystal drops from bosses.
[edit]
Oops, forgot to mention that you can force the treasure chest out of any boss with your down + attack. It will take a few tries but IIRC every boss and miniboss has a drop. You don't have to wait for the boss to die. Oh, and bosses drop coins too.

Just noticed yesterday that when you level up your characters, their costume changes ever so slightly...

[this message was edited by Holiday on Fri 8 Jun 22:35]

Gojira
2154th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Fri 8 Jun 15:32post reply

I finished the game a while ago... it was okay. Sure looked nice.

hikarutilmitt
403th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):Odin Sphere freakout thread" , posted Sat 9 Jun 02:09post reply

quote:
You're not missing anything special though - I think I've only seen Painkillers, Materials and Ancient Crystal drops from bosses.

I know from playing it some more last night that Brigan drops bracelets that increase attack power, usually 5% but sometimes 10%. It's what he always drops, too.