A Wii question - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1717 Views )

Mokona
405th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 00:39post reply

I finally grabbed a Wii last Friday! Played some Wii Sports over the weekend and all, fun!
I have a question though...
Whenever I twist my wrist to make the hand cursor rotate, it flickers a bit on the screen. Is that normal or should I be worried about something?
I tried it in complete darkness and it still does it.
Both my remotes work fine, I can point easily on the screen and it won't flicker at all, but when I rotate the remote, it starts to blink a bit and even jumps a couple inches between blinks, and the rotation on screen has a little difficulty to follow the remote's speed of rotation. I figure it's not a big deal, maybe the light sensitivity settings could help, but I wanted to know if it's something I should be worried about.

Blah!

Replies:

Time Mage
2546th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 01:06post reply

I *think* my remotes don't do that when I rotate them, but I'd had to test it. Once I test it, I'll tell you for sure.

Other than that, glad you liked Wii Sports, it's a short but very entertaining game in my opinion. Now I rarely play it, but I got really hooked to it at the beginning.

Sadly, the Wii right now doesn't have anything interesting, besides games of minigames. I don't regret buying it, but I do regret buying it so soon (launch day). I think it needs a year or so to start getting interesting games at a decent pace.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

Just a Person
895th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 02:59post reply

quote:
I *think* my remotes don't do that when I rotate them, but I'd had to test it. Once I test it, I'll tell you for sure.

Other than that, glad you liked Wii Sports, it's a short but very entertaining game in my opinion. Now I rarely play it, but I got really hooked to it at the beginning.

Sadly, the Wii right now doesn't have anything interesting, besides games of minigames. I don't regret buying it, but I do regret buying it so soon (launch day). I think it needs a year or so to start getting interesting games at a decent pace.

That's true... but it'll soon get some nice games: NiGHTS, Super Smash Bros. Brawl (if this one is half as fun as was Melee, I'm already happy), RE4 (which seems to get all the extras from the PS2 version - but I hope it gets the GC graphics and sounds), Soul Calibur Legends, RE:Umbrella Chronicles, Mortal Kombat:Armageddon, Super Mario Galaxy, the next Metroid Prime game... the next Harry Potter game for Wii also looks fun, using the Wiimote as a magic wand and all, but since the Spider-Man game was kinda disappointing, there's no way to be sure...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Digitalboy
427th Post

Gold Customer

"A WII BIT OFF TOPIC" , posted Tue 15 May 03:00post reply

You did what to the Wii?
quote:

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Mokona
406th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 03:27post reply

Thanks Time Mage, I'll wait for your confirmation (and/or other forumites' input).

It's not really something that affects my gameplay in Wii Sports (I didn't get any other games yet, $400 is quite a blow to my wallet as it is, I'll wait next month).
In tennis, for example, I can control the ball fine, making slices and lobs (which use the tilt sensors), so I don't think I have to worry too much.

I'm happy with the machine after a few days so far. I was happy to get connected fairly easily on the Web/Shop channel, etc. I had some issues with the DS Wi-fi (It took me a year to find out that if I don't change my setting to a lower quality, it won't pick up the signal, but since that slows the whole wi-fi in the house, I basically never play online with the DS...) With the Wii, I just put the WEP key, and bingo, I could download VC games. That's the way it should be. No UPD port triggering/forwarding nonsense.

Any recommendations for games? I plan on buying at least Zelda:TP. I was kinda interrested in the Godfather game, and since I didn't pick it up for any other platform yet, I thought this may be a good one to get. I liked Trauma Center on the DS a lot, but I'm not too sure about it for the Wii, especially since it's basically the same game with a couple add-ons. Is it worth the purchase?
I want my wife to play with me too. We played some tennis together and she likes it a lot, but she won't even try any other Wii Sports game. Is there any good stuff for 2 players out yet (even on the VC... I got Bomberman especially for that purpose)?

Blah!

hikarutilmitt
391th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 04:41post reply

Despite the framerate and slow loading issues, Super Swing Golf (Pangya) is quite fun. It's more realistic than it seems at first (power shots and crap like that aside) and is far, far better than Wii Sports Golf if you play golf games much.

Trauma Center is good if you don't have the DS version, since it's essentially the same, but it feels more natural and easier to control than the DS version, making it a bit easier but also a lot more fun.

Elebits is a helluva lot of fun, though it can get repetitive after a while if you play it too much.

ZTP is, obviously, a good game. I didn't care much for Ocarina of Time when it was out and I barely played Majora's Mask or Wind Waker, but this made me believe a 3D Zelda isn't all that bad, now. My only problems with it are the now common "wiggle" controls so many games use for actions and that the game almost seems TOO big at times, taking forever to get anywhere until about halfway through the game.

Wario Ware is... Wario Ware. It's a new interface for the same type of game. It IS fun to play, but unless you're the type that can constantly play WW games even after finishing the main portions it's not really worth the full price.

Stay away from Super Monkey Ball: BB. My girlfriend and I each preordered one game when we preordered our Wii and she wanted this one (I got TC) and even she doesn't like it much. Only one or two of the games on it are really any good and the depth controls for the games that have them are really, really difficult to the point of not being fun.

Honestly, we never had a GC before and we've pretty much been using the Wii as a GC for the past couple of months with the games we had wanted to get for GC without getting a GC itself. It's not that we don't like the Wii, we love it, we just have a whoooole lot of different things to play and not a lot of Wii games have been out that are really worth $50 (but the same could be said of all religions consoles).

Mokona
407th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 04:56post reply

quote:
Despite the framerate and slow loading issues, Super Swing Golf (Pangya) is quite fun. It's more realistic than it seems at first (power shots and crap like that aside) and is far, far better than Wii Sports Golf if you play golf games much.

In your opinion, which is better? Tiger Woods or Pangya?
I intend on buying a golf game before the end of the year (I really like Wii Sports golf, it's probably my favorite of all the Wii Sports games, with tennis).

Blah!

hikarutilmitt
392th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 05:34post reply

quote:

In your opinion, which is better? Tiger Woods or Pangya?
I intend on buying a golf game before the end of the year (I really like Wii Sports golf, it's probably my favorite of all the Wii Sports games, with tennis).

I've never played a Tiger Woods golf game, to be quite honest. I think in the end it depends on how realistic the gameplay can be, even with embellishments. I was reading about Tiger Woods on Wii, though, and there seem to be a lot of complaints about how it controls (things like when you take the backswing, ANY motion after stopping is considered the forward swing, even moving it back more). I've also read some stuff about how the calculations the game makes for the default club in a situation is based solely on how far from the holy you are and determines the best club based on that distance, assuming you're on the green (meaning it'll tell you to use a wood in a bunker, etc).

Honestly, since I've not played Tiger, I can't tell you from experience, but Super Swing is very solid if you can deal with occasional slowdown (only when it's not game-breaking) and some decently long loading (maybe 5-6 seconds at a time, but not during the actual hole itself). I'm hoping they'll make a version of season 3 for the Wii (like the PC version) and maybe it'll fix the framerate and loading issues and maybe also have online play.

You can probably also get SSG cheaper, since it's been out a while. Best Buy occasionally has it for $30.

Black_Hayato
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 14:30post reply

Wii Remote Troubleshooter

I think you just need to reset the remote. Nintendo also has pretty good customer service. Often they'll just replace what ever that is broken is without you having to get bitchy.

SSG is a fun game. Much more realistic in play than it looks. The motion controls work very well after getting alot of practice in controling your swing; and if you feel like it you can always switch to button controls. A good controlled motion swing will transfer correctly in on screen actions. In a sense like real golf. But the single player is brutal. After or on about the 3rd course every shot you make needs to be near perfect. So you have to do a good bit of leveling up to buy higher stat equipment but the cash payouts are a little low.6.5/10

I recommend Trauma Center if you can find it cheaper than $50. Its basically a spruced up ds version. But feels much more complete. The perspective the 2nd doctor gives fleshes out the concept and plot. The rumble feature helps keep some of the tactile involvement from the ds version, you'll feel the pulse, mistakes, cuts etc. A 2nd person can also play. One person the nurse(nunchuk/tools), while the other is the docter(wiimote/cutting). Its very tense.7.5/10

Lastly I recommend Sonic and the Secret Rings. Its a blast to play through. It really is the best effort at a 3d Sonic game in a while. At first he's kind of sluggish. The designers handicap Sonic at the beginning of the game. Once you start collecting modifiers for your ring the game opens up to strategy and planning. Because of the many non-linear misson based challenges across the 7or8 different levels; you'll have to equip Sonic accordling. Some missions require Sonic to be better in different areas such as speed, defense, traction/handling, and attack power. Different missions also change the layout of the stages too.

And finally the game has great stages. Most are on the same archetypes like the fire and the jungle but are just done with much more imagination and excitement. Everything seems alive and at high speed. My favorite is Levitated Ruin were Sonic runs on ancient city ruins built on the backs of gigantic flying manta rays.(kind of like the turtle/hawklands from GoldenAxe)8.5/10

Time Mage
2547th Post

"Re(3):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 16:58post reply

Okay, I tested it, and it might be a problem of the sensibility of your sensor bar.

I usually play at a distance of 1 m or a bit closer, and for sure not farther than 1.5 m unless I'm playing Wii Sports with friends and we need room. At those distances, the cursor rotates smoothly when I twist the wiimote.

However, I tried at longer distances, 2 m or more, and happens the situation you describe: when twisting the wiimote, the onscreen cursor flickers (quite wildly) while the rotation is happening. However, as you say, I've played lots of Wii Tennis at that distance and I don't recall having any problem.

The cause? I'm pretty sure it's a matter of the sensor bar sensibility. If you usually play at longer distances than the ones I play, consider increasing the sensor bar sensibility. That way, I think you won't have those problems.

ONSLAUGHT
3651th Post

"Re(1):A Wii question" , posted Tue 15 May 18:03post reply

I regret buying this POS, I will sell it (or dispose of it) very soon.

Damn you Nintendo...

Mokona
408th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):A Wii question" , posted Wed 16 May 00:01post reply

quote:
Okay, I tested it, and it might be a problem of the sensibility of your sensor bar.

I usually play at a distance of 1 m or a bit closer, and for sure not farther than 1.5 m unless I'm playing Wii Sports with friends and we need room. At those distances, the cursor rotates smoothly when I twist the wiimote.

However, I tried at longer distances, 2 m or more, and happens the situation you describe: when twisting the wiimote, the onscreen cursor flickers (quite wildly) while the rotation is happening. However, as you say, I've played lots of Wii Tennis at that distance and I don't recall having any problem.

The cause? I'm pretty sure it's a matter of the sensor bar sensibility. If you usually play at longer distances than the ones I play, consider increasing the sensor bar sensibility. That way, I think you won't have those problems.

Thanks for the answers. I noticed that in Wii Sports' menu or the votes Channel, the cursor is ok, and I think I found the reall issue here. Maybe my TV's contrast is a bit too high, and the White background of the Wii Menu is a bit bright and therefore is a light source that screws a bit with the sensor. I'll try and set the sensitivity and/or reduce the contrast a bit on my TV. But I know for a fact that this doesn't impact gameplay, so I'm fine.

I really don't think it's a problem with the remote, since both my remotes react the same way.

I think I'll rent both golf games before making a choice.

Blah!

hikarutilmitt
393th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):A Wii question" , posted Wed 16 May 02:38post reply

Another thing to remember is that except for menu navigation, none of the Wii Sports actually use the pointer itself for motions, just the accelerometer and bluetooth. I typically play behind my couch on any game that needs me to stand and doesn't use the pointer, which is a good 9 or 10 feet from the bar (around 3m).

ANOTHER thing to consider is if there are any more IR receivers around. I have a wireless keyboard on the computer that's attached to my TV and I found that if it's facing the couch the Wii remote will actually stutter a bit because it doesn't know which one the IR signal is hitting. Keep in mind that it's not actually an IR sensor itself, just a sort of reflector for the remote to use to find its position relative to the screen; it sends no information to the Wii, that's all the remote. That's why you can use things like candles in place of the bar.

Time Mage
2549th Post

"Re(6):A Wii question" , posted Wed 16 May 05:17post reply

Yeah. In fact, in Twilight Princess, I at first had problems with the bow aiming because I had next to the TV an halogen lamp that got very hot, thus emitting in the infrared and confounding the wiimote sensor.

Also, regarding the fact that the Wii Sports games don't use the infrared sensor, I am "famous" at home for my backturned straights in the bowling game. xD

Mokona
409th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):A Wii question" , posted Wed 16 May 23:43post reply

So yeah, I checked again... it was really a distance thing.
I was really inside the "zone" where you're supposed to stand all along (maybe around the end of it though), but when I get a little closer to the TV, it doesn't do it anymore. Problem solved (wasn't that much of a problem though).
Thank you all for your input.

I had to resync my remotes yesterday. I suppose it's normal that you have to do that once in a while.

Blah!