SF Arcade buyer - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1731 Views )

Tai-Pan
167th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"SF Arcade buyer" , posted Wed 9 May 08:19post reply

I recently moved to the United States (Florida). I have always had the dream that someday I would have at home a Street Fighter II The World Warrior arcade cabinet. I haven't been in the arcade scene for years so Im not sure where to start. Do I have to buy the board, cabinet and monitor and put the whole thing together by myself? Can I buy it? Is there any store that sells that? I dont know where to start.
It may be a little late to make this dream happen, but I wont lose anything for trying.

Thank in advance, any help will be appreciated

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Replies:

Red Falcon
5777th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):SF Arcade buyer" , posted Wed 9 May 12:19post reply

Just look around in various places. Try Ebay for a start, or look in your phone book for an arcade supplier. It should be easy to find and relatively inexpensive, although it will probably be in bad condition. Still, why World Warrior? Go ST.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Bata kun
3042th Post

"Re(2):SF Arcade buyer" , posted Wed 9 May 14:21post reply

quote:
Just look around in various places. Try Ebay for a start, or look in your phone book for an arcade supplier. It should be easy to find and relatively inexpensive, although it will probably be in bad condition. Still, why World Warrior? Go ST.

There's your list of places to start.

Oh. I think it's the first one and personally, I would want the original version as well. Of course, that's me.

ふもっふ!

Ishmael
2818th Post

"Re(3):SF Arcade buyer" , posted Thu 10 May 01:03post reply

Yeah, your local Yellow Pages might be the best place to start. Not only would catagories like vending machines and games possibly give you some leads but some arcades might be willing to sell off their old cabinets.

There are a few places that sell used games nationally but you might be better off looking locally first since I suspect the shipping and handling difficulties that would come with mailing a full cabinet would be a real bear to deal with.

Keep us posted on your shopping goes since I think that owning a WW cabinet is a pretty cool idea.

Red Falcon
5779th Post

"Re(3):SF Arcade buyer" , posted Thu 10 May 12:34:post reply

quote:

Oh. I think it's the first one and personally, I would want the original version as well. Of course, that's me.

I am entirely aware thar World Warrior is the original version of SF2. -_- It's just abysmally broken. I repeat, go ST, ha ha.

As a side note, you could use the cab for other games too, if you ever wanted to swap out. Once you have a cab, it's pretty versatile. You'd have a lot of wonky button setups depending on what you popped in to it, but generally nothing that you couldn't get used to.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Thu 10 May 12:36]

Hagen de Merak
942th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):SF Arcade buyer" , posted Thu 10 May 21:15post reply

quote:

I am entirely aware thar World Warrior is the original version of SF2. -_-

lol. hey you bastard, why aren't you on aim anymore?

Digitalboy
424th Post

Gold Customer

"WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Fri 11 May 01:25post reply

Where in Florida are you? How do you like it?
quote:
I recently moved to the United States (Florida).

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Tai-Pan
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Fri 11 May 05:05post reply

quote:
Where in Florida are you? How do you like it? I recently moved to the United States (Florida).

Im in South Florida, Hollywood, between Miami and Ft Lauderdale. I like it a lot.

Why I chose WW? Because Its the first SF I tried ever, and it changed my life.
Why WW if its so broken? Because I wont play it for the competition.
Why a real Arcade if there are so many versions and perfect ports? Becaue WW on a real arcade cabinet displayed on a real arcade monitor looks so perfect to me. I can see the pixels, the sprites look enormous and the colors look so bright; I just can't explain the feeling I get when I see the real thing.

So, the whole arcade experiences in my case requires: (let me know if im wrong)

The cabinet
CPS-I board
Monitor
Joysticks

Thats the whole thing, right? Im not into arcade configurations..

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Maou
1093th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Fri 11 May 09:44post reply

Oh man, this topic makes me totally want my own SFZero 2 cabinent since that's what got me into fighting games. Big, colorful, arcade-perfect (obviously).... I like to think that if I wait 15 years arcade machines will be nostalgic but cheap, but they'll probably just end up costing more and be impossible to fix like pinball machines are (see Murakami's "Pinball in 1979").

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

VManOfMana
657th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):SF Arcade buyer" , posted Fri 11 May 12:41post reply

Sorry for going a bit off-topic.

Tai-pan: I see that you are located in the Miami area. If you are looking for people to gather with and have video game fun, you can contact me via jabeldotmoralesatgmaildotcom (substituting the dot and at by their respective characters). I live in Doral, and the people I gather with to play games are in the South or East Miami area.

VMan of Mana / Seiken
"Be prepare for the eternity battle."

Red Falcon
5780th Post

"Re(3):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Fri 11 May 13:54:post reply

quote:
Oh man, this topic makes me totally want my own SFZero 2 cabinent since that's what got me into fighting games. Big, colorful, arcade-perfect (obviously).... I like to think that if I wait 15 years arcade machines will be nostalgic but cheap, but they'll probably just end up costing more and be impossible to fix like pinball machines are (see Murakami's "Pinball in 1979").

You don't need a cab to get arcade stuff at home. Try getting a supergun and some PCBs... that's how I do it.
http://www.massystems.com/SuperNOVA.html
OF course, if you get a CPS 2 board, be sure to modify it to bypass the suicide battery, ha ha ha... and don't even try with CPS 3 boards, I've gone through 3 of them and have totally given up.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Fri 11 May 13:55]

Maou
1094th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Fri 11 May 16:06post reply

Woah, interesting, I didn't know much about arcade tech so I had no idea you could go without the cab itself. Then again, that's half the fun, so who knows. On the other hand, for some reason I'm pathetic with a joystick.

Unrelatedly, I'm glad you have Contra Densetsu linked, I just used that today when some friends and I were trying to remember whether Super Contra was in fact on Super Famicom when, counterintuitively, it actually wasn't. Contra Spirits forever.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Tai-Pan
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Sat 12 May 04:48post reply

quote:

You don't need a cab to get arcade stuff at home. Try getting a supergun and some PCBs... that's how I do it.
OF course, if you get a CPS 2 board, be sure to modify it to bypass the suicide battery, ha ha ha... and don't even try with CPS 3 boards, I've gone through 3 of them and have totally given up.

Wow looks nice
Is that thing compatible with CPS-I board?
Have you tried it?
The site seems pretty old, are they still in business?

This thing looks practical, but I won't get the true RGB colors of the arcade on a TV. And If I use this thing I need to get the extra monitor (which looks awesome), even though its very expensive, I would get it.
BTW, whats a supergun?

Digitalboy
425th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Sat 12 May 05:36post reply

Miami area eh? I live in Orange Park which is close to Jacksonville. Oh well. BTW welcome to America.
quote:

Wow looks nice
Have you tried it?

This thing looks practical, but I won't get the true RGB colors of the arcade on a TV. And If I use this thing I need to get the extra monitor (which looks awesome), even though its very expensive, I would get it.
BTW, whats a supergun?

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Red Falcon
5781th Post

"Re(5):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Sat 12 May 15:17:post reply

quote:

Wow looks nice
Have you tried it?

BTW, whats a supergun?

The Supernova is a "Supergun"; they are... essentially the guts of a cab in a box to which you can hook up PCBs and your T.V. A real space saver to us arcade collectors who lack lots of space. Anyway, to answer your other questions in order:

1.)Yes, CPS-1 boards work on it, and it has pre-wired kick harnesses that are compatible with CPS-1(at least the two I have, no two are exactly alike, admittedly). Any JAMMA compatible board will work on it.

2.)Yes, I own two of them, although the one is in "cold storage" right now.

3.) They really should still be in business, a lot of tourneygoers buy sticks from them. Call them up and ask them yourself. Don't be surprised if it is some old woman and there are babies crying in the background; that's normal for them.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sat 12 May 15:18]

Tai-Pan
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Sun 13 May 07:42post reply

quote:

and don't even try with CPS 3 boards, I've gone through 3 of them and have totally given up.

What, whats the problem with the CPS-3 board?

Red Falcon
5781th Post

"Re(5):WHERE IN FLORIDA?" , posted Sun 13 May 09:12post reply

quote:
What, whats the problem with the CPS-3 board?

They are total crap. Poorly constructed, tempermental, and unlike with the CPS-2, there is no known way to bypass the suicide battery, so unless you accurately predict when one is going to die and replace it in time (which is quite dangerous, needs to be done while the system is powered up and there are all kinds of other risks, like the battery exploding) the game will die and there is no way to fix it; the cart is "erased", it's essentially a blank game cart. Buh, Capcom and its suicide batteries... Most shameless money-grabbing attempt by a company that makes arcade games until the "Arcana Hearts" disaster... actually, I think the suicide batteries are still a lot worse.