Red Star - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1787 Views )

Ishmael
2809th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Red Star" , posted Mon 30 Apr 05:17post reply

Has anyone else tried Red Star? The alternate Soviet theme of the story is a nice fit since the game plays like an Eastern Bloc version of a Capcom game. A good chunk of the game plays like Cannon/Gun Spike without the sense of momentum. Other times it becomes a shooter in which you have to dodge bullet patterns with a guy who can only move at a slow waddle. One stage doesn't even pretend it isn't being lifted from a previous game and is a straight clone of Area 88/U.N. Squadron.

But in spite of -or, perhaps, because of- all that I'm really enjoying the game. The game not only gives you a nice variety of enemies and obstacles but gives you a large moves list with which to defeat them. That, and Red Star was really inexpensive which went a long way toward smoothing over any minor faults I may come across when I was playing. Red Star may be a game from XS Games that no one will play that's based on a comic that no one has read but is surprisingly better than that lineage would suggest.

Replies:

Digitalboy
423th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):Red Star" , posted Mon 30 Apr 10:23post reply

It just came out? I think I will go pick a copy up now.
quote:
Has anyone else tried Red Star? The alternate Soviet theme of the story is a nice fit since the game plays like an Eastern Bloc version of a Capcom game. A good chunk of the game plays like Cannon/Gun Spike without the sense of momentum. Other times it becomes a shooter in which you have to dodge bullet patterns with a guy who can only move at a slow waddle. One stage doesn't even pretend it isn't being lifted from a previous game and is a straight clone of Area 88/U.N. Squadron.

But in spite of -or, perhaps, because of- all that I'm really enjoying the game. The game not only gives you a nice variety of enemies and obstacles but gives you a large moves list with which to defeat them. That, and Red Star was really inexpensive which went a long way toward smoothing over any minor faults I may come across when I was playing. Red Star may be a game from XS Games that no one will play that's based on a comic that no one has read but is surprisingly better than that lineage would suggest.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

shindekudasai
133th Post

Regular Customer

"Yellow Star" , posted Mon 30 Apr 13:41post reply

Sorry, first thing that came to mind.

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

oroch
938th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Red Star" , posted Mon 30 Apr 14:04post reply

quote:

the comic was fairly decent in storyline, least thats what i remember, its been a while

Burning Ranger
1475th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Red Star" , posted Tue 1 May 09:41post reply

I liked the comic... I'm waiting for the creators to continue it.

As for the game, it's been in limbo for so long I've just stopped caring.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger