So this is it? - and new random news thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3105 Views )

Sensenic
1564th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"So this is it? - and new random news thread" , posted Wed 28 Mar 20:05:post reply

First Sonic and Mario encounter will be an olympic licensed sports game?

Official Site

Kinda underwhelming...

EDIT:
Press release:
quote:
TOKYO (March 28, 2007) � SEGAŽ Corporation and Nintendo Co. Ltd. today made a historical announcement that two of the biggest icons in the entertainment industry, Mario� and Sonic�, are joining forces to star in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. Developed for the Wii� video game system and the Nintendo DS� system, this momentous agreement marks the first time these two renowned stars have appeared together in a game.

Published by SEGA across Europe and North America, and published by Nintendo in the Japanese market, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games will be available for Holiday 2007 and is licensed through a worldwide partnership with International Sports Multimedia (ISM), the exclusive interactive entertainment software licensee of the International Olympic Committee (IOC).

In Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games, players will compete in events that take place in environments based on the official venues of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games. Using a supporting cast of characters from the amazing worlds of both Mario and Sonic, gamers will be able to compete as or against a range of lovable personalities including Mario, Sonic, Luigi�, Knuckles�, YoshiŽ, Tails� and more. Innovative usage of the Wii and DS control systems to maneuver a favorite character will allow players to race the likes of Mario and Sonic down the 100m track, engage in exhilarating rallies in table tennis and churn water in a swimming heat, all while competing for the much sought after gold medal.

�We are thrilled to partner with Nintendo and ISM on this groundbreaking title,� said Hisao Oguchi, President and Chief Operating Officer, SEGA Corporation. �For the first time, two of the world�s greatest games� characters come together to compete in the world�s greatest sporting event and we couldn�t be more excited.�

�Mario and Sonic have been respectful rivals since the early days of video games,� says Shigeru Miyamoto, Senior Managing Director and General Manager, Entertainment Analysis and Development Division, Nintendo Co., Ltd.. �In fact, for a long time they have been discussing the possibility of one day competing against each other. Now that they have been given the perfect opportunity to meet at the Olympic Games, we may finally learn who is actually faster, Mario or Sonic?�

�The Olympic Games represent the true spirit of competition and passion,� said Raymond Goldsmith, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of ISM. �Bringing together intensely competitive and fun characters like Mario and Sonic in an Olympic setting helps showcase the sports of the Olympic Games in a new and compelling way for all generations.�

Ling Yao. The king indeed.

"In the beginning there was nothing and God said: "Let there be light".
And still there was nothing but you could see it!
" -Unknown-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Wed 28 Mar 20:16]

Replies:

Just a Person
869th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Wed 28 Mar 20:19post reply

quote:
First Sonic and Mario encounter will be an olympic licensed sports game?

Official Site

Kinda underwhelming...

Were you expecting an action/adventure game? That's probably the kind of game most people would want to see Mario and Sonic in. Still, it's Nintendo and Sega working together (Sega more than Nintendo, but anyway...), so it might be fun. Also, I wonder what kind of interactive actions will be there for each competition (using the DS Stylus and the touch screen, and the Wiimote). And I hope there will be a lot of characters from each side (Jeux-France said Sega also confirmed Tails, Knuckles, Luigi and Yoshi; I hope the game will also have Amy, Cream, Shadow, Rouge, Dr. Eggman, Peach, Wario, Bowser, Toad and Daisy).

And with this announcement, the chances of Sonic being in Super Smash Bros. Brawl increase even more...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Sensenic
1564th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):So this is it?" , posted Wed 28 Mar 20:37post reply

quote:

Were you expecting an action/adventure game? That's probably the kind of game most people would want to see Mario and Sonic in.

Well, given that both come from the platform genre, yeah, probably. That, and on a personal level I'm not particularly fond of sports games.

But perhaps what gave me this disappointment feeling the most was not as much the chosen genre as the license. How could I put that... I thought the first Sonic and Mario game to appear would have been enough of an event by itself. It more than deserved its own, special, exclusive game. To me, putting it together with another license... uh... kind of... watered down the effect? Made it less special? Yeah, that'd be it.

quote:

And with this announcement, the chances of Sonic being in Super Smash Bros. Brawl increase even more...

Indeed. that's one of the first thoughts many people had, including me.

Ling Yao. The king indeed.

"In the beginning there was nothing and God said: "Let there be light".
And still there was nothing but you could see it!
" -Unknown-

Ikari Loona
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):So this is it?" , posted Wed 28 Mar 23:05post reply

I don't recall something like this happening since the first Capcom and SNK crossover turned out to be a card game - yet it was a fine one at that. I too am not that fond of sports games, but this could be a first step in an interesting direction, and hopefully a Smash Brothers game won't be the only other possible step...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Freeter
4368th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Thu 29 Mar 00:09post reply

First Shadow with a gun, now Mario racing Sonic. What next, Ryo Hazuki cosplaying as Princess Peach?

Bata kun
3029th Post

"Re(2):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Thu 29 Mar 01:04:post reply

quote:
First Shadow with a gun, now Mario racing Sonic. What next, Ryo Hazuki cosplaying as Princess Peach?

Ha ha ha! That'll be the day.

Oh and I'm not liking this duo thing at all. I don't play sports games anymore, except for "Rockman Soccer" and believe it or not, "Sanrio Smash Ball". (I'm not good at any new sports game while we're at it, which is a reason why I hardly touch them.) I wanted this to be an adventure game (that's actually legit). I tried playing the new "SMB" and "Sonic" games and honestly, I'd rather play a game like "SMB III" or "Sonic II". I think that the adventure game (that's legit) would fail me also. I don't think that this game will revive my bonds with those two series.

So, it get points for unity since that's what the olympics are about. Well, that's it. Points for unity.

ふもっふ!

[this message was edited by Bata kun on Thu 29 Mar 01:06]

Just a Person
870th Post

"Re(2):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Thu 29 Mar 02:30post reply

quote:

I'm sorry, but... Ryo, who? Who is he?

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Ishmael
2777th Post

"Re(3):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Thu 29 Mar 02:46post reply

quote:

He's the man who spends all of his time in Shenmue ignoring the cute girl and asking people where the sailors hang out. The idea of him in a dress seems... just about right, actually.

Just a Person
871th Post

"Re(4):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Thu 29 Mar 08:00post reply

quote:

He's the man who spends all of his time in Shenmue ignoring the cute girl and asking people where the sailors hang out. The idea of him in a dress seems... just about right, actually.

Ah, OK, thank you for the explanation!

I know who is this Ryo now, I have read something about Shenmue, but wasn't associating the name to the character... Ryo dressed as Peach would be really bizarre...

Hey, returning to the game, do you think there is any chance that NiGHTS will appear in it? Because even though NiGHTS has only appeared in one game, this character seems to have quite a large fanbase... And since the rumours about a new NiGHTS game for the Wii, why not enjoy the hype??

Maou
1040th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Nights...into news" , posted Thu 29 Mar 08:50post reply

Yay Nights! I always wanted to play that game, though like any sensible being I didn't have a Saturn (better versions of Lunar and SF Zero 2 were tempting, but...). While we're in the random thread, I think I do remember Sega (USA?) taking a poll asking which character gamers would like to see have another game, and of course he was the obvious choice. Instead of dragging poor 2D Sonic through the mud, 3D Nights seems ready-made to work well.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Evenor
543th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):Nights...into news" , posted Thu 29 Mar 11:26post reply

quote:
Yay Nights! I always wanted to play that game, though like any sensible being I didn't have a Saturn (better versions of Lunar and SF Zero 2 were tempting, but...). While we're in the random thread, I think I do remember Sega (USA?) taking a poll asking which character gamers would like to see have another game, and of course he was the obvious choice. Instead of dragging poor 2D Sonic through the mud, 3D Nights seems ready-made to work well.

I always see only praise toward the Nights! series. I think something is wrong with me because watching the game makes my brain numb. I've only played the demo for Nights! Xmas edition years ago, but I was too young to make a proper opinion of it. Is that game any deeper than just collecting random gems+flying around like a drunk pilot?

as for peeping ティッシュはここに不要です
in the bathroom エコロジストな僕なら

Maou
1041th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(2):Nights...into news" , posted Thu 29 Mar 12:34post reply

quote:
Is that game any deeper than just collecting random gems+flying around like a drunk pilot?
but that is my life's callling

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

HAYATO
762th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Nights...into news" , posted Thu 29 Mar 14:14post reply

quote:

I always see only praise toward the Nights! series. I think something is wrong with me because watching the game makes my brain numb. I've only played the demo for Nights! Xmas edition years ago, but I was too young to make a proper opinion of it. Is that game any deeper than just collecting random gems+flying around like a drunk pilot?

It certainly was a game to get accustomed to, but once you get into the mechanics, it was quite fun. Albeit being a bit short (it only has 6 worlds, IIRC), it has great replay value due to its innovative (back in 1996) A-Life concept.

Just a Person
874th Post

"Re(5):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Fri 30 Mar 00:40:post reply

Back to this announcement, I've read some forums, and some thoughts were interesting:

1) Some people believe this game to be another April Fool's joke, as EGM's Mushroom Kingdom Hearts. These people claim that Sonic and Mario look like photoshopped images from other games and that no pictures of the game were released; plus, they consider weird that a game based on the 2008 Olympic Games is going to be released still in 2007. However, it seems that Nintendo of Japan also confirmed the production of this game (and I'm not sure if Japan has the April Fool's day tradition), as well as MTV and even Newsweek, which has an interview with Perrin Kaplan and Simon Jeffery detailing the game.

2) Some other people wondered whether it would be nice or not to have the Miis as playable characters. Sure, maybe this game will have amazing graphics (for the Wii - although even the PS2 graphics are amazing to me, in some games) that would make the less detailed Miis seem out of place. But it would still be fun: a competition at the Olympic Games involving Mario, Sonic... AND ALL OF US!!! The 2008 Olympic mascots could also be playable characters, maybe.

It seems that three games are already announced: table tennis, the 100-meter dash and swimming (wonder if Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Yoshi will wear swimming suits, since usually they don't wear suits at all...). I guess that if this game is well worked, maybe even inspiring a little in Wii Sports (but not completely, since this one should be more realistic), it will be an awesome title for the Wii!.

And going off-topic again, since this game makes Sonic being almost unoficially confirmed for SSB:B, does anyone wonder who could be the third non-Nintendo character in it? I'd love to see Chun-Li in it (she's very popular in Japan, it seems - and it would be funny seeing a conventional fighter in a non-conventional fighting game), maybe even in a more realistic Tekken/VF-like look, but since there's no new SF game since a long time, her chances may be quite low... I also thought of Khameleon (the only MK character who has only appeared in Nintendo consoles), but MK isn't a very popular title in Japan, and even where it has a good reception, most players don't know who she is... Any other ideas?

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Fri 30 Mar 04:13]

kofoguz
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Fri 30 Mar 05:06post reply

quote:
Any other ideas?

Sora

Time Mage
2526th Post

"Re(7):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Fri 30 Mar 06:43post reply

quote:
Any other ideas?
Sora

Yah, I agree. Sora from Squeenix and Megaman from Capcom are the ones that comes to my mind first when thinking about possible additions.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

Just a Person
874th Post

"Re(8):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Fri 30 Mar 07:09post reply

quote:
Any other ideas?
Sora

Yah, I agree. Sora from Squeenix and Megaman from Capcom are the ones that comes to my mind first when thinking about possible additions.

Sora? Hm, actually it's a good choice. I still prefer Chun-Li over him or Megaman (actually, I even prefer Chun-Li over Snake or Sonic), but Sora is still a nice choice. Megaman... nothing against him, but I think there are more interesting characters (other than Chun-Li, of course) to be in it.

Cain Highwind
757th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(6):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Sat 31 Mar 04:04post reply

quote:

It seems that three games are already announced: table tennis, the 100-meter dash and swimming (wonder if Sonic, Knuckles, Tails and Yoshi will wear swimming suits, since usually they don't wear suits at all...). I guess that if this game is well worked, maybe even inspiring a little in Wii Sports (but not completely, since this one should be more realistic), it will be an awesome title for the Wii!.

Judo was also recently confirmed.

Oh and Sora belongs to Disney, as cool as it would be to see him in Brawl, he technically belongs to Disney.

kofoguz
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Sat 31 Mar 17:04post reply

quote:
Oh and Sora belongs to Disney, as cool as it would be to see him in Brawl, he technically belongs to Disney.

So?

recap
63th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Sat 31 Mar 23:09:post reply

So let's use this:

- Odin Sphere's first gameplay explanations at Famitsu Dot Com:

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2007/03/29/104,1175150228,69192,0,0.html

First hi-res trailer:

http://www.atlus.com/odyssey1/archive/archive02.html

- Ketsui - drama into comedy:

http://mihara.sub.jp/top/blog/sb203/log/eid879.html

- Growlanser VI wants to be as ugly as the previous epėsode:

http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?table=game_ps04&page=6&num=24774&main=ps&find=&ftext=

- Card battle adventure game of Getsumento Heiki Mina from IF:

http://www.ideaf.co.jp/mina/main.html

- Brand-new S-RPG with hi-res 2D graphics for the PS2 from Enterbrain, based on a comic:

http://www.enterbrain.co.jp/game_site/MA/index.html

http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2007/03/28/104,1175060195,69092,0,0.html

Edit: Working Growlanser link.

[this message was edited by recap on Sat 31 Mar 23:17]

kofoguz
524th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Sun 1 Apr 17:44post reply

Kof XI WII?

Ishmael
2780th Post

"Re(3):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Mon 2 Apr 04:47post reply

Ninja Gaiden DS: make your ninja run through traffic via a stylus.

GekigangerV
1335th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Sun 29 Apr 05:18post reply

aggar for President stuff I got from Capcom USA

http://blogs.capcomusa.com/blogs/news.php/2007/04/24/mike_haggar_for_president_08

10 Reasons to vote for Haggar from destructoid

http://www.destructoid.com/citizens-unite-vote-mike-haggar-in-2008-31064.phtml

Buttons and bumper stickers

http://www.cafepress.com/haggar4prez

I need to get me some buttons and bumper stickers.

NARUTO
3538th Post

"Re(3):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Sun 29 Apr 18:54post reply

quote:
Kof XI WII?

Fake that was the april fool of their site...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Mosquiton
1714th Post

Tailored Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(2):So this is it? - and new random news th" , posted Mon 30 Apr 03:27post reply

quote:

- Growlanser VI wants to be as ugly as the previous epėsode:

http://ruliweb.empas.com/ruliboard/read.htm?table=game_ps04&page=6&num=24774&main=ps&find=&ftext=

Yeah, it's actually so ugly that if I were in charge of approving it for North America, I'd have to say, you know, I have tremendous respect for the Growlanser series but nobody is going to buy this ugly, tacky looking thing. Please forgive me.

/ / /

GekigangerV
1336th Post

"US versions of SvC DS has glitch" , posted Tue 1 May 01:39post reply

http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/card-fighters-ds-broken-256333.php

Good thing I didn't pick it up yet.

Ikari Loona
178th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):US versions of SvC DS has glitch" , posted Tue 1 May 10:21post reply

quote:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/notag/card-fighters-ds-broken-256333.php

Good thing I didn't pick it up yet.

I hope they bother to fix it before a european release at least...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Kikkoken
1126th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):US versions of SvC DS has glitch" , posted Wed 2 May 00:14post reply

It's been released in France for a few days (weeks?) now. But it seems so few people have bought it we won't be hearing about the European version of the game and its possible glitch anywhere soon.

black_hayato
187th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):So this is it?" , posted Wed 2 May 01:44:post reply

quote:

Were you expecting an action/adventure game? That's probably the kind of game most people would want to see Mario and Sonic in.
Well, given that both come from the platform genre, yeah, probably. That, and on a personal level I'm not particularly fond of sports games.

But perhaps what gave me this disappointment feeling the most was not as much the chosen genre as the license. How could I put that... I thought the first Sonic and Mario game to appear would have been enough of an event by itself. It more than deserved its own, special, exclusive game. To me, putting it together with another license... uh... kind of... watered down the effect? Made it less special? Yeah, that'd be it.

Indeed. that's one of the first thoughts many people had, including me.

A platforming game would be too many headaches. Mario may work in a Sonic like environment, yet definately not the other way around. I'm sure they could figure something out, but there'd be too many compromises. People wouldn't want to play something that f-ed up your favorite character. Fans would bitch.

I think why they choose the 08 olympics because it puts the characters on neutral ground and equal footing. With events explore their abilities with out curbing much of what makes them special just for the sake of bringing them together. Sonic's advantage would be 100m dash, while Mario tennis or shot put.

This may be a test of how Sonic would work with a Nintendo license. Even though Smash Bros. has many new stars, and as humble as Mario is; none of them compete with Mario on an iconic level like Sonic can.

[this message was edited by black_hayato on Wed 2 May 01:46]

Abster
313th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):So this is it?" , posted Wed 2 May 06:20post reply

Well, we know Sonic can't swim, so Mario has him dominated there. Since Tails was already confirmed to be a character I'm happy, but I'm also hoping Peach and Amy will be there too.

Just a Person
884th Post

"Re(5):So this is it?" , posted Wed 2 May 23:57post reply

quote:
Well, we know Sonic can't swim, so Mario has him dominated there. Since Tails was already confirmed to be a character I'm happy, but I'm also hoping Peach and Amy will be there too.

Well, it's 99,99% likely that both of them will be in it. I mean, come on, Peach and Amy are in almost every Mario/Sonic game, it would be really weird not having them in this one. Not so popular characters like Birdo, Daisy, Bowser Jr., Cream, Silver or Blaze have more reason to fear absence from this game...

The characters I'd really like to see in the game are the five Beijing Olympic mascots, as the super secret characters, with each one of them being the best athlete of the game in some cathegories (the blue one in water sports, yellow one in speed sports, and so on). And also the Miis, as not so good athletes but that can be used in this game just for the fun of it!

Abster
314th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):So this is it?" , posted Thu 3 May 03:46post reply

quote:

Well, it's 99,99% likely that both of them will be in it. I mean, come on, Peach and Amy are in almost every Mario/Sonic game, it would be really weird not having them in this one. Not so popular characters like Birdo, Daisy, Bowser Jr., Cream, Silver or Blaze have more reason to fear absence from this game...

The characters I'd really like to see in the game are the five Beijing Olympic mascots, as the super secret characters, with each one of them being the best athlete of the game in some cathegories (the blue one in water sports, yellow one in speed sports, and so on). And also the Miis, as not so good athletes but that can be used in this game just for the fun of it!

Yeah, they end up in most party games. I never really played any of those though.

GekigangerV
1343th Post

"Domo-Kun to Nickelodeon?" , posted Tue 15 May 04:58post reply

USA Today reported in their money section that Domo-Kun will get some two minutes segements on Nickelodeon this fall.