Gojira
2115th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Fri 23 Mar 22:47:post reply

copipe:

"

PS3 French launch was a flop!

Remember the both queues that merged at Champ-Elysees, Paris, when the Wii was launched?
There were barely twenty people, maybe fifty, from 10PM to Midnight at the same place where the Wii was launched.

More numbers:

- Sony organized a gathering nearby the Eiffel Tower. 3000 fans were expected to come, barely one hundred actually did.

- In the very same shop I mentionned, the one where you could see two merged queues waiting for the Wii some months ago, only fifty PS3 sold out of one thousand.
In comparison, fights did occur in the waiting crowd when the PS2 was launched, shocking the medias.

Funny fact: Microsoft marketing staff were sailing by the Sony (empty) gathering place on a boat they rented just for this day, making fun of the Sony staff and the journalists with messages like "Hey guys! Love from Microsoft!".

In conclusion, France farted at Sony on PS3 release day.

So ronery.

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10editeurs2007032301441ev1.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10editeurs2007032301353pp4.jpg
http://img440.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10editeurs2007032301270ja6.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10editeurs2007032301270zn8.jpg
http://img258.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10editeurs2007032301270mw6.jpg

"

That last pic says it all.
Thanks to Sheba at the Orochinagi forums for ending my week with a smile.

EDIT: pics

[this message was edited by Gojira on Fri 23 Mar 22:51]

Replies:

Mokona
400th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Fri 23 Mar 23:22post reply

So all in all, what this means is:
You treat your target customers like shit, they ignore you.
I mean, the delays, the price (even more expensive than everywhere else), the blu-ray still not being a valid argument, the lack of games (even 6 months after the "real" launch of the system), the rumble-less controler, etc.
It will sell in the end, but at least, it's nice to see that France gave a cleat message to Sony: "You can't get away with everything, motherf!&$ers".

Blah!

Just a Person
867th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Sat 24 Mar 00:52post reply

quote:
So all in all, what this means is:
You treat your target customers like shit, they ignore you.
I mean, the delays, the price (even more expensive than everywhere else), the blu-ray still not being a valid argument, the lack of games (even 6 months after the "real" launch of the system), the rumble-less controler, etc.
It will sell in the end, but at least, it's nice to see that France gave a cleat message to Sony: "You can't get away with everything, motherf!&$ers".

More expensive than everywhere?? Wow, how much is the price of the PS3 in France??

It would be nice to know how is it selling in other countries from Europe. From what I know, in the US it's not selling great (specially compared to the Wii and Xbox 360), but not having bad sales either, and in Japan it already outsold the X360, didn't it?

I don't have any problem with the three consoles; having them all would be a dream come true. But considering how even the Wii is expensive in here, a PS3 is unaffordable for the majority of the Brazilian gamers...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Ishmael
2774th Post

"Re(3):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Sat 24 Mar 03:59post reply

On the bright side the pictures make it look like it was a really nice night to be out for a stroll in Paris.

Red Falcon
5763th Post

"Re(1):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Sat 24 Mar 04:54post reply

Sony really dropped the ball with this one in all respects.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Time Mage
2522th Post

"Re(3):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Sat 24 Mar 06:02post reply

quote:
More expensive than everywhere?? Wow, how much is the price of the PS3 in France??

600€ = 800$

And in the UK it is even more expensive. I don't know the exact price in pounds, but it's a bit more.

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

Mokona
401th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Sat 24 Mar 06:26post reply

quote:

600€ = 800$

And in the UK it is even more expensive. I don't know the exact price in pounds, but it's a bit more.

I think the UK Suggested Retail Price is £425, ie. $834. Now keep in mind that both in France and the UK, the price is with taxes included (the sales tax is higher in the UK).

Blah!

Satoshi Miwa
2799th Post

"Re(2):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Sat 24 Mar 14:56post reply

quote:
Sony really dropped the ball with this one in all respects.

The sad thing? It's pretty much the PS2 launch strategy to a T. It's just this time Sony has some competition so it can't pull this BS...

Of course I do like the PS3 (Yes I said, now I will burn in hell - But damn it's Sony most well put together launch system ever) and think it will be a good system in the end. But Sony should learn from this launch (as Phil Harrison seems to be doing). And the fact we have 2 other strong systems should only be good for everybody in the end.

And if not, well I can use my Ps3 to ward of invaders.

crazymike
1275th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(3):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Mon 26 Mar 05:22post reply

I laugh at Sony's failures, but I do feel sorry for the poor early 20s kids working the launch center who were probably excited to be part of a launch day, get media attention, and get greeted by thousands only to watch leaves fly by the empty street.

E5150
110th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Mon 26 Mar 17:58post reply

In sweden it sells for 6599sek which = $946.26

NARUTO
3536th Post

"Re(5):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Mon 26 Mar 19:01post reply

Well there is many things that the audiance wanted to show at sony... Of course the price is one of them, but there is so many other stuff.
MR FOrnay head of SONY EU, made some statemnt that were in total opposition with the audiances...
The price 1st, the fact that we didn't have a 20Mb pack only the 60 one, They said that the retrocompatibility was usless, so they've removed the Ps2 hardware part and just put in a Emulator, so much less game playable, when EU is a country were Retro gaming is the most important with a huge vintage game market. Finally the Exclusioe title are extremely important here (at lest in france...don't know for the other country) and the lost Of title like VF5 or DMC was not and will not be Forgiven...Unless SONY get them back...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Ammadeau
1537th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):PS3 launches in Europe!" , posted Mon 26 Mar 19:20post reply

Apparently, they did very well in Spain though. That's got to count for something.