Do you know the language of portuguese? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2402 Views )

exodus
3815th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Mon 19 Mar 05:50post reply

I don't recall anyone here being from brazil these days (an older member was, I think?), but I'm trying to get somebody to help me interview Tec Toy. I don't think there's ever been a real interview with them in english!

Let me know if you have the hot portuguese infos.

Replies:

Time Mage
2519th Post

"Re(1):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Mon 19 Mar 06:06:post reply

I'm pretty sure Just A Person is Brazilian, and he still comes here from time to time. There were also a Portuguese poster whose nick escapes me now... IkariLoona, maybe?

Ah, Charles Prophony is from Brazil, also, if I'm not mistaken.

It's pronounced "nucular". Nu-cu-lar hehehe.
-Homer Simpson
1956-

[this message was edited by Time Mage on Mon 19 Mar 06:07]

CharlesProphony
38th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Mon 19 Mar 10:59post reply

quote:
I'm pretty sure Just A Person is Brazilian, and he still comes here from time to time. There were also a Portuguese poster whose nick escapes me now... IkariLoona, maybe?

Hello, I'm somewhat a lurker these days...

exodus
3816th Post

"Re(3):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Mon 19 Mar 15:20post reply

quote:

Hello, I'm somewhat a lurker these days...

hello! got your mail, I'll send you something in the morning...thanks for offering to help!

Zepy
1329th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Mon 19 Mar 18:38post reply

I do not know.

Ikari Loona
168th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 02:31post reply

Sent an e-mail too just for the sake of it now that I just read about this - I'm curious to see how the differences in the Brazillian releases are covered, since I remember a few from old gme mags that got here before there were actual proper portuguese game mags.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

exodus
3819th Post

"Re(2):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 07:26post reply

quote:
Sent an e-mail too just for the sake of it now that I just read about this - I'm curious to see how the differences in the Brazillian releases are covered, since I remember a few from old gme mags that got here before there were actual proper portuguese game mags.

got it - I'll get back to you soon!

but not to zepy, he's not in the portuguese club.

Bata kun
3023th Post

"Re(5):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 10:43:post reply

I know the word "pao". So I guess I'm not in the Portuguese Club either. =P

ふもっふ!

[this message was edited by Bata kun on Wed 21 Mar 02:38]

Just a Person
863th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 01:39post reply

quote:

Yeah, you´re right, I´m from Brazil too.

Tec Toy... They represented which company, again? I don't remember if it was Sega or Nintendo (although I'm almost sure it was Sega; the old times when Master System and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive had national games - kinda...).

From what I understand, IkariLoona already tried to contact Tec Toy, right? Let's hope they answer...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

CharlesProphony
39th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 03:08post reply

quote:

Tec Toy... They represented which company, again? I don't remember if it was Sega or Nintendo (although I'm almost sure it was Sega; the old times when Master System and Sega Genesis/Mega Drive had national games - kinda...).

It was Sega... good times when they released some wacky hacks of adventure games using characters from "Turma da Mônica"(imagine Mickey Mouse on US or Doraemon in Japan... you got the idea) and some portuguese-translated games like phantasy star... They even sponsored part of a TV Show with kids playing alex kidd and gallahad in a type of a mini championship...

Hey JAP(cool coincidence...?), where do you live? Maybe we can chit-chat in MSN, icq or whatever someday.

Just a Person
864th Post

"Re(4):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 03:41post reply

quote:

It was Sega... good times when they released some wacky hacks of adventure games using characters from "Turma da Mônica"(imagine Mickey Mouse on US or Doraemon in Japan... you got the idea) and some portuguese-translated games like phantasy star... They even sponsored part of a TV Show with kids playing alex kidd and gallahad in a type of a mini championship...

Hey JAP(cool coincidence...?), where do you live? Maybe we can chit-chat in MSN, icq or whatever someday.

Yeah, I remember!! Turma da Mônica no Castelo do Dragão (something like "Mônica's gang in the Dragon's Castle"); it wasn't an original game, though. I remember reading it was based into another game, with the only difference being the characters being replaced.

For those who don't know Turma da Mônica, it is a really popular comic book in Brazil. The main characters are four kids: Mônica is a girl with big teeth (but never tell her this) and she's incredibly strong; Cebolinha is a boy that can't spell the letter "R" and has just five spiky hair strings in his head (he also wants to take Mônica's spot as the "king of the street", although Mônica herself doesn't seem to bother about this title); Cascão is a boy who has never taken a shower or bath or even washed his hands in his whole life and is very scared of water (he's also Cebolinha's best friend and often helps him in his plans to defeat Mônica); and finally Magali is Mônica's best friend and she eats a lot (and by a lot, I mean A LOT!!), but still manages to be slim. Of course there are other characters.

Charles, as impossible as it may sound, I have no ICQ or MSN number/account... I do have e-mail and Orkut, though. If there's no problem about it, sure, it would be great to chit-chat someday! I'm from Sorocaba, SP, by the way; what about you?

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Juan
4362th Post

"Re(4):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 04:14post reply

quote:

¡No contaban con mi astucia!

ok

Time Mage
2519th Post

"Re(5):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 05:32post reply

quote:

Amazing! Does it have all the catchphrases?

"Lo sospeché desde un principio..."

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

Ikari Loona
169th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 06:58post reply

quote:
From what I understand, IkariLoona already tried to contact Tec Toy, right? Let's hope they answer...

It was Brandon I e-mailed for any translating help he migh need - like I said, I did it for the heck of it, since it seems others have been doing it too.
Actually Turma da Mónica was one of the games I remembered and mentioned in the e-mail, but didn't know was adapted from another game.

CharlesProphony
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(4):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 08:01:post reply

quote:

Actually Turma da Mónica was one of the games I remembered and mentioned in the e-mail, but didn't know was adapted from another game.

Yes, they were from the Wonder Boy series(the sms had something like 2 or 3 games and one to genesis).

But eventually they started to develop the game by themselves, starting from scratch(erm, I think), like duke nukem 3d and Woodpecker for genesis and Street Fighter 2 for sms.

quote:
Charles, as impossible as it may sound, I have no ICQ or MSN number/account... I do have e-mail and Orkut, though. If there's no problem about it, sure, it would be great to chit-chat someday! I'm from Sorocaba, SP, by the way; what about you?

I'm from Maringá, PR. If you want to cantact me, my blog(link at the signature) has the link to my orkut profile. Just leave a scrap there with your e-mail and in less than 24hrs I will copy and delete, so no worries about spambots. And, oh well, you can just register me there :P.

Ex-Prophony

[this message was edited by CharlesProphony on Wed 21 Mar 08:02]

Ebisumaru
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(6):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 09:26post reply

quote:

Amazing! Does it have all the catchphrases?

"Lo sospeché desde un principio..."

Not even close. It's a just a hack from another game, Ghost House, IIRC.

Tec Toy did made some games from scratch too, like Férias Frustradas do Pica Pau, a (licensed?)Woody Woodpecker adventure game and the Brazilian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Show do Milhão. They've also made a SMS port of Street Fighter II' too.

Yeah, another Brazilian lurker here.

Juan
4363th Post

"Re(7):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 09:44post reply

quote:
Tec Toy did made some games from scratch too, like Férias Frustradas do Pica Pau, a (licensed?)Woody Woodpecker adventure game and the Brazilian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Show do Milhão. They've also made a SMS port of Street Fighter II' too.

Yeah, another Brazilian lurker here.

Is there a lot of game developing on Brazil for PC or consoles these days?

ok

Ebisumaru
4th Post

New Customer

"Re(8):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 11:05post reply

quote:

Is there a lot of game developing on Brazil for PC or consoles these days?

There're some developers, but very few of them have resources to publish PC games, which are generally sold outside Brazil (as every attempt to sell games here has been hampered by piracy, among other things). One example could be Deer Hunter 2005, published by Atari, but almost unknown by Brazilian gamers. Said developers mostly prefer to concentrate on simple online/webgames and mobile gaming.

Game developing on consoles has been quite an oddball here. As Master System and Mega Drive/Genesis are (still) being sold here without cartridge slots, some simple games were produced, meant to be bundled with the console.
Apparently, one random developer managed to get a DS devkit, but we haven't seen anything on it yet.

CharlesProphony
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(9):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 11:53post reply

quote:

There're some developers, but very few of them have resources to publish PC games, which are generally sold outside Brazil (as every attempt to sell games here has been hampered by piracy, among other things). One example could be Deer Hunter 2005, published by Atari, but almost unknown by Brazilian gamers. Said developers mostly prefer to concentrate on simple online/webgames and mobile gaming.

Game developing on consoles has been quite an oddball here. As Master System and Mega Drive/Genesis are (still) being sold here without cartridge slots, some simple games were produced, meant to be bundled with the console.
Apparently, one random developer managed to get a DS devkit, but we haven't seen anything on it yet.

There was Ignis which managed to release a MMORPG with brazillian culture references named Erinia, but the system was completely broken, the leveling took ages and even among these problems, somehow they got a xbox sdk in those days, but no other word after that.

Surprisingly it seems they keep with the servers and still developing the game nowadays.

And there is other softhouses like Hoplon with Taikodom(a massive rpg with spaceships, the so called mini-eve online), Oniria(they released some games in germany with Caipira games as a publisher), FourX(same as Oniria).

I visited their places some times and had the chance to see how they were working, and apart of some heaty rivalry sometimes, they tried to maintain contact with each other to exchange some know-how and even projects if one of them couldn't keep it on the track. But the biggest problem I've seem on all of the groups is the big projects. There were cases where a group of nine people were trying to develop the next Final Fantasy, a group of three thinking about making the next Warcraft, etc.

Sometimes we can hear some good, solid ideas among these, but there's no interest from the Brazilian market, and the good professional always try to go abroad and commonly they get a good and well payed job somewhere else.

Ex-Prophony

Sensenic
1563th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(5):Do you know the language of portuguese?" , posted Wed 21 Mar 18:08:post reply

quote:

Yes, they were from the Wonder Boy series(the sms had something like 2 or 3 games and one to genesis).

Funny that I had read this hg101 article just a few days ago. Scroll down for the Mônica stuff.
There's a mention to chapulin'ed Ghost House too.

No contaban con mi lurkeo!

*fades into background again*

Ling Yao. The king indeed.

"In the beginning there was nothing and God said: "Let there be light".
And still there was nothing but you could see it!
" -Unknown-

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Wed 21 Mar 18:09]

Just a Person
866th Post

"The best fighting game EVER" , posted Wed 21 Mar 20:14:post reply

quote:

There was Ignis which managed to release a MMORPG with brazillian culture references named Erinia, but the system was completely broken, the leveling took ages and even among these problems, somehow they got a xbox sdk in those days, but no other word after that.

Surprisingly it seems they keep with the servers and still developing the game nowadays.

And there is other softhouses like Hoplon with Taikodom(a massive rpg with spaceships, the so called mini-eve online), Oniria(they released some games in germany with Caipira games as a publisher), FourX(same as Oniria).

I visited their places some times and had the chance to see how they were working, and apart of some heaty rivalry sometimes, they tried to maintain contact with each other to exchange some know-how and even projects if one of them couldn't keep it on the track. But the biggest problem I've seem on all of the groups is the big projects. There were cases where a group of nine people were trying to develop the next Final Fantasy, a group of three thinking about making the next Warcraft, etc.

Sometimes we can hear some good, solid ideas among these, but there's no interest from the Brazilian market, and the good professional always try to go abroad and commonly they get a good and well payed job somewhere else.

And let's not forget what is probably the best fighting game ever released (even though it's not an official game): STREET CHAVES!!! Such a pity that Pópis isn't a fighter in this game, though...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Wed 21 Mar 20:20]

Evenor
538th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Thu 22 Mar 02:29post reply

quote:
And let's not forget what is probably the best fighting game ever released (even though it's not an official game): STREET CHAVES!!! Such a pity that Pópis isn't a fighter in this game, though...

~~~~~~~~CHILINDRINA~~~~~~~

Oh my god this is amazing. Seriously, you made my day! I can't wait to play as La Bruja del 71.

as for peeping ティッシュはここに不要です
in the bathroom エコロジストな僕なら

exodus
3821th Post

"Re(1):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Thu 22 Mar 02:47post reply

quote:

HOLY JESUS.
I want to play that!

IkariDC
613th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(2):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Thu 22 Mar 03:43post reply

quote:

HOLY JESUS.
I want to play that!

Is great to see the reactions of people discovering Street Chaves for the first time!

Don Ramon FTW!

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Time Mage
2520th Post

"Re(3):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Thu 22 Mar 04:53post reply

quote:

Ron Damon FTW!

Fixed!

Dragon Kick your ass into the Milky Waaay~~ (Milky Waaaay)

Juan
4364th Post

"Re(1):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Thu 22 Mar 06:24post reply

quote:
STREET CHAVES!!! Such a pity that Pópis isn't a fighter in this game, though...

Prof. Girafales had a very cheap crouching fierce in CvS2!

Thanks for the info on Brazil development. Rest assured that the Deer Hunter games are enjoyed by rednecks in American bars nation-wide!

ok

Maese Spt
359th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Thu 22 Mar 21:35post reply

quote:

HOLY FUCKING CHRIST! Who needs that new KOF MMMDLXVIII having this little gem?

However, I dunno what amazes me most: the "game" itself, or the fact that people in the States are SO familiar with el Chavo del 8's tribulations...

P.S.
Todos ustedes son chusma! Chuuusma!

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Just a Person
866th Post

"Re(3):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Thu 22 Mar 21:56post reply

quote:

However, I dunno what amazes me most: the "game" itself, or the fact that people in the States are SO familiar with el Chavo del 8's tribulations...

P.S.

Heh, I wonder how popular is El Chavo del Ocho in the USA...

Here in Brazil, it has been aired on television for decades (yup, not years, decades), and the owner of the TV channel that airs this series (in Brazil it's called "Chaves") doesn't even air all the episodes (we know the channel HAS most of the episodes, but some of them were never aired in all these decades).

Yet, it's still probably one of the most watched TV series in here! It's so popular that "Chaves" already had toys, a comic book, and other products. Plus, every time that "Chaves" was taken off this channel, the ratings fell quite impressibly. Actually, I guess it is the TV program with the best ratings in this channel (although nowadays they have a quite shallow Mexican teen soap opera, that became popular as well).

Evenor
540th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Fri 23 Mar 02:14post reply

quote:

P.S.

Heh, I wonder how popular is El Chavo del Ocho in the USA...

Popular enough to have Chavo del 8 shirts at Hot topic ;(.

Beside that depressing fact, a lot of US spanish based networks still broadcast the show. I use to watch it religiously when my parents use to send me to Nicaragua to visit my relatives.

as for peeping ティッシュはここに不要です
in the bathroom エコロジストな僕なら

exodus
3822th Post

"Re(5):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Fri 23 Mar 02:16post reply

quote:
Beside that depressing fact, a lot of US spanish based networks still broadcast the show. I use to watch it religiously when my parents use to send me to Nicaragua to visit my relatives.

I think most americans don't know of it, but anyone who watches Telemundo or any other spanish network has at least caught a glimpse. I always thought it was kind of stupid.

Kikkoken
1124th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(6):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Fri 23 Mar 20:30post reply

I know that "bacallao" is "cod", if that is of any help.

Maese Spt
361th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Fri 23 Mar 20:42post reply

quote:
I always thought it was kind of stupid.

And you were quite right on your guess! Oh, yeah, but it´s stupid on such a fascinating way... *blush*

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Ikari Loona
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):The best fighting game EVER" , posted Fri 23 Mar 21:05post reply

quote:
I know that "bacallao" is "cod", if that is of any help.

It's not - it's "bacalhau" =P