BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2733 Views )

Undead Fred
2788th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Thu 1 Mar 20:37post reply

Just got the game today, but I wanted to see who had it here and how they're liking it. I'm not too far into the game yet, but so far it's pretty fair balance of fun things and disappointments.

FUN THINGS:
-I like the environments.... sometimes they border on "eh" but something about creepy, abandoned cities really appeals to me.
-ROSE SPEAR
-Alicia's got some cool moves and I like her design (pretty much what drew me to the game in the first place), and I like the magic system so far... launching cars at people with your mind and bleeding on injured people to heal them isn't getting old yet.
-There have been a few fun mass-destruction moments early on that were fun to see.
-Ran into some creepy WTFFFF creatures in some subway tunnels... you'll know them when you see them.

DISAPPOINTMENTS:
-Some graphical issues like flickery shadows are driving me crazy.
-There's no targeting system whatsoever.... which is pretty much needed in an over-the-shoulder action game like this. I'd be happy with a "aim helper" or larger damage area or something so we can spray a tad more and still hit things. Similar deal with some of the spells (like Rose Spear... never thought it'd be so hard to nail enemies with a rising bed of spikes). It's just making it feel a little clumsy to me, I guess.
-It'd be nice if she ran a tad faster or had a dash (or low-level flight) to cover those large open areas.
-Resident Evil-level dialogue... but that's not a big disappointment. I can get over that.

Again, I'm not far into the game, but I was wanting to see what you guys thought about it.

Replies:

Juan
4347th Post

"Re(1):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 2 Mar 01:27post reply

quote:

THINGS:

WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS MOUNTAIN OF CORPSES FOR HOURS IT MUST HAVE A WEAK POINT

SURELY NOT PULSATING PUS OOZING BALLON HEART

Not much to add from your list. My main gripe is having a girl with a giant gun and having moments where you walk forever doing nothing. That's just mean.

ok

exodus
3794th Post

"Re(1):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 2 Mar 02:14post reply

quote:

DISAPPOINTMENTS:

I actually really like these! but I saw them on a giant HDTV, so they looked like dots in comic books (blanking on the worddddd), which I thought was cool.

I pretty much think the game's ok, and enjoy using 'willpower' to mess with stuff.

Juan
4348th Post

"Re(2):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 2 Mar 04:33post reply

quote:
crazy

By the way, did you ever play Oneechanbara for the 360? I'm hearing it is kind of a stinker, but i'd be curious to check it out anyway.

ok

Undead Fred
2789th Post

"Re(2):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 2 Mar 04:52post reply

quote:
WE HAVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS MOUNTAIN OF CORPSES FOR HOURS IT MUST HAVE A WEAK POINT

SURELY NOT PULSATING PUS OOZING BALLON HEART

PROTIP: Try hitting the creature in the GIANT GOOFY VITAL ORGAN CALLING ATTENTION TO ITSELF.

Yeah, that was a little dumb. Not quite as bad as the chocolate milk thing in Silent Hill 4, but it was bad. Heh heh.

quote:
I actually really like these! but I saw them on a giant HDTV, so they looked like dots in comic books (blanking on the worddddd), which I thought was cool.
Ah, okay... maybe it's another case of the game's creators not testing the game out on a regular low-res TV (which is frustrating because as far as I can tell, a majority of the population still has old-school TV's)?

exodus
3795th Post

"Re(3):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 2 Mar 05:50post reply

quote:
By the way, did you ever play Oneechanbara for the 360? I'm hearing it is kind of a stinker, but i'd be curious to check it out anyway.

I played it at TGS and it was pretty boring, I thought. Just the same as the others - kill the zombies in the room, go to the next room. It has barely any game or level design.

I've heard it got a bit better, but I already have two of these for the PS2, and don't play those, so I don't see the point of getting the new one, for me.

Juan
4350th Post

"Re(4):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 2 Mar 07:03:post reply

quote:
I played it at TGS and it was pretty boring, I thought. Just the same as the others - kill the zombies in the room, go to the next room. It has barely any game or level design.

I've heard it got a bit better, but I already have two of these for the PS2, and don't play those, so I don't see the point of getting the new one, for me.

Hah, that sucks. Specially since this was supposed to be the big jump into a real game as opposed to the Simple2000 experiments.

anyway

witches

ok

[this message was edited by Juan on Fri 2 Mar 07:05]

exodus
3798th Post

"Re(5):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 2 Mar 08:39post reply

quote:
Specially since this was supposed to be the big jump into a real game as opposed to the Simple2000 experiments.

I think maybe the closer jump was EDF for 360, but that was was already close to the edge of being a real game in the beginning.

Ammadeau
1533th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 2 Mar 15:58post reply

It's a case of good gameplay and sloppy level design. I think every naunce of shooting, magic, how your life/mana works, etc is pretty well put together, but the maps are just too big and too unfocused. I'm not sure why they went for such a huge scale and had so little to do in them. Though the biggest disappointment is not being able to jump on top of the fallen giants like you can do with most objects. That and it's almost impossible to see anything in sniper mode. That and there's no brightness scale so it's too dark on my lovely plasma!

Overall, I like it, but they really need to fire their level designer. The levels in GitS:SAC were much better than this.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Sugardog
12th Post

New Customer

"Re(3):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Sat 3 Mar 07:50post reply

quote:
Yeah, that was a little dumb. Not quite as bad as the chocolate milk thing in Silent Hill 4, but it was bad. Heh heh.

*twack*

BURP BELCH BURP BELCH BURP BELCH
BURP BELCH BURP BELCH BURP BELCH BURP BELCH

-SECRET CHARACTER-

exodus
3803th Post

"Re(4):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Sat 3 Mar 08:11post reply

quote:

there were a lot of random weird sounds in that game that just didn't fit. I didn't like it so much...

Nate
835th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(5):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Sat 3 Mar 10:48post reply

quote:

there were a lot of random weird sounds in that game that just didn't fit. I didn't like it so much...

I think it would've been okay if they just kept it as a non-Silent Hill game as originally planned rather than cramming in some references/backstory last minute (exaggeration, but you know what I'm getting at) to make it one.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

nobinobita
81th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Sun 4 Mar 08:40post reply

quote:

DISAPPOINTMENTS:

They're called "screen tones".

exodus
3805th Post

"Re(3):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Sun 4 Mar 14:56post reply

quote:

ah...I thought it was something else, but I forget that still, so I'll try to remember this instead!

Undead Fred
2792th Post

"Re(4):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Wed 7 Mar 11:45post reply

quote:

ah...I thought it was something else, but I forget that still, so I'll try to remember this instead!

Man, there were times when the lighting was starting to look pretty nice, but they'd have those awful "we didn't set the shadows up properly" shadows.

Finally got back on the game and beat it... the game's really got some impressive dynamics in the massive damage spells. And the way you can level a city block or two with a meteor shower is really fun to watch.

Anyone out there that's planning on playing the game, beware- beating the game on Medium does not give you credit for beating it on Easy. Which is really, really stupid.

nobinobita
84th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Wed 7 Mar 12:54post reply

quote:

Perhaps you were thinking of the halftone process?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone

gorgeous
146th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Wed 7 Mar 16:27post reply

quote:

DISAPPOINTMENTS:

I actually really like these! [] I saw them on a giant HDTV, so they looked like dots in comic books (blanking on the worddddd), which I thought was cool.

lol giant HDTV

NARUTO
3534th Post

"Re(3):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Wed 7 Mar 19:00post reply

sorry maybe a bit OT, but is there some wallpaper for this game? The official site (JP) doesn't seems to have some....

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Undead Fred
2797th Post

"Re(4):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Thu 8 Mar 06:49post reply

quote:
sorry maybe a bit OT, but is there some wallpaper for this game? The official site (JP) doesn't seems to have some....

I'm just waiting for the Marketplace downloads to show up first... I tried a quick Google image search and found some pictures of Alicia and all that, but none really looked like wallpapers to me. Not much of an effort, but that's all I know about it. Heh heh.

exodus
3809th Post

"Re(5):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Thu 8 Mar 10:50post reply

quote:

Perhaps you were thinking of the halftone process?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halftone

ah - I was!

Undead Fred
2800th Post

"Re(6):BulletWitch SUPERTHREAD" , posted Fri 16 Mar 18:08post reply

Does anyone have any idea when the other costumes and missions are supposed to release? I had found an old article that basically said, "every two weeks after release" but there's still nothing happening...

Undead Fred
2801th Post

"Anyone?" , posted Mon 19 Mar 18:50post reply

quote:
Does anyone have any idea when the other costumes and missions are supposed to release? I had found an old article that basically said, "every two weeks after release" but there's still nothing happening...

Sorry to bump my own thread again, but has anyone heard anything? I'm starting to wonder if I should use that address on the manual to e-mail "Alicia" and ask where the stupid downloads are. I just read on some GameSpot forums that some guys were making Japanese accounts on Live specifically to get the DL content since Atari's just over here picking their noses for all we know. I'd appreciate any info anyone has to offer...

exodus
3817th Post

"Re(1):Anyone?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 01:35post reply

I have no idea - but I do know that making a japanese xbl account is pretty easy - I did it in about five minutes.

Undead Fred
2802th Post

"Re(2):Anyone?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 06:59post reply

quote:
I have no idea - but I do know that making a japanese xbl account is pretty easy - I did it in about five minutes.

That's what I kept hearing... I was hoping not to have to do that just to get the DL's we were promised. Does that require another subscription to Live, or is it like making a second profile or something?

Pollyanna
2175th Post

"Re(3):Anyone?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 07:10post reply

quote:

That's what I kept hearing... I was hoping not to have to do that just to get the DL's we were promised. Does that require another subscription to Live, or is it like making a second profile or something?

You just make another profile. You'll need a Japanese address, but that's about it (I used the address to a lolita/punk clothes store in Tokyo) I'm surprised that Japanese downloads work on an American game, though.

While we're on the subject of Japanese/US Live, in my case, I should have US Live as my "primary" one, because that's the one I can easily pay for, right? I can still play my Japanese games on XBox Live when I'm on a US Gold account, right? Most the games I have are import, so...

exodus
3818th Post

"Re(4):Anyone?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 07:26post reply

quote:

While we're on the subject of Japanese/US Live, in my case, I should have US Live as my "primary" one, because that's the one I can easily pay for, right? I can still play my Japanese games on XBox Live when I'm on a US Gold account, right? Most the games I have are import, so...

I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD

anyway, I think that's right...and I think you may not be able to play your imports online from here without paying for a japanese live account. I'm not entirely certain of that though. Not exactly the kind of question their support team has answers to, the bastards.

Juan
4361th Post

"arwgwawerwrerwwe" , posted Tue 20 Mar 08:51:post reply

too late, but here you go. The content wont work with the American version of the game tho!

http://www.gamersreports.com/article/19/

ok

[this message was edited by Juan on Tue 20 Mar 09:13]

Pollyanna
2176th Post

"Re(5):Anyone?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 09:01post reply

quote:

anyway, I think that's right...and I think you may not be able to play your imports online from here without paying for a japanese live account. I'm not entirely certain of that though. Not exactly the kind of question their support team has answers to, the bastards.

Do you have a gold account? Try playing Senko no Ronde!

People who get Asian versions of games can play them online, so I don't see why you couldn't with Japanese...

I guess I haven't been posting much, but neither has anyone else. I thought about starting another "what are you playing" thread...

exodus
3820th Post

"Re(6):Anyone?" , posted Tue 20 Mar 11:25post reply

quote:

I guess I haven't been posting much, but neither has anyone else.

yeah, something's happening. I blame iggy. sushi bunny should come back and save us from ourselves. That was the most lively time in months!

I don't have a gold account...waiting til I buy a TV. YAY.

but I should play senko no ronde online. It would be good times.

Undead Fred
2804th Post

"Re(1):arwgwawerwrerwwe" , posted Tue 20 Mar 12:26:post reply

quote:
too late, but here you go. The content wont work with the American version of the game tho!

Great! So we're screwed, then. I guess all we can do now is complain to ALICIA

EDIT: Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but here's the official BulletWitch forums where you can find "answers" followed by bitching.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Tue 20 Mar 12:36]

Ammadeau
1534th Post

"Re(2):arwgwawerwrerwwe" , posted Tue 20 Mar 14:45post reply

quote:
Great! So we're screwed, then. I guess all we can do now is complain to ALICIA

EDIT: Don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but here's the official BulletWitch forums where you can find "answers" followed by bitching.

The content does work, you have to alter it a bit though. Check gamefaqs. The first pack should be released a little after the game comes out in Europe. I'm playing Crackdown myself while I wait. Fun game, but damn I really wish I had the force push and lightning here.

Juan
4361th Post

"Re(3):arwgwawerwrerwwe" , posted Wed 21 Mar 00:02post reply

quote:

The content does work, you have to alter it a bit though. Check gamefaqs. The first pack should be released a little after the game comes out in Europe. I'm playing Crackdown myself while I wait. Fun game, but damn I really wish I had the force push and lightning here.

No! Instant gratification!

Where is you page anyhow?

ok

Ammadeau
1535th Post

"Re(4):arwgwawerwrerwwe" , posted Wed 21 Mar 14:16post reply

quote:
Where is you page anyhow?

Was killed by its shifty host some time ago, and haven't had much reason to bring it back. I can only maintain one waste of energy in my life at the moment, and that's playing videogames.

Gojira
2115th Post

"Re(5):arwgwawerwrerwwe" , posted Sat 24 Mar 02:41post reply

Finally played it, LOL'd

One question for anyone who's played the import, was the game dialogue originally in Japanese and dubbed by Atari, or was it originally in English?

Undead Fred
2809th Post

"Re(6):arwgwawerwrerwwe" , posted Sun 25 Mar 08:32post reply

quote:
Finally played it, LOL'd

One question for anyone who's played the import, was the game dialogue originally in Japanese and dubbed by Atari, or was it originally in English?

I'm assuming it was dubbed... since it's got the usual hallmarks of a re-dub: strange wording in places, and that general stink of "we didn't really hold that big of an audition for these roles." Of course I could be wrong... I never saw anything from the import.

Undead Fred
2816th Post

"HOLY HELL" , posted Thu 29 Mar 09:48post reply

There's finally some DL content up on the Marketplace. There's a free costume, and then there are what look like those concept missions for 20 points apiece? I heard Japan got everything free, but at least if we've gotta pay for it, it's pretty cheap. My math is horrible so I can't figure it out. I figured I might grab one of those missions once I figure out what they are, but just letting you guys know (all two of you who care) that there's finally something to DL in the game.

Ammadeau
1538th Post

"Re(1):HOLY HELL" , posted Thu 29 Mar 12:38post reply

Not free for a game barren of content? What a rip.

Undead Fred
2817th Post

"Re(2):HOLY HELL" , posted Thu 29 Mar 13:22post reply

quote:
Not free for a game barren of content? What a rip.

Yep! And I kept hearing Japan got all their stuff for free. At least the missions are only 20 points... but I doubt I'll really bother with those unless they're interesting. I just want my free costumes.

Undead Fred
2821th Post

"HEY" , posted Tue 3 Apr 14:33post reply

MUMMY COSTUME