What are you playing/Looking forward to? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3924 Views )

Pollyanna
2150th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"What are you playing/Looking forward to?" , posted Sun 28 Jan 19:14post reply

Okay, so I was thinking about babbling about what games I'm playing, but I thought it'd be better to have a conversation about what everyone is playing...so...what are you playing? What did you just finish? What are you looking forward to?

Playing

Blue Dragon.

I love it. It's outstanding. I got the premium box (or whatever you call it) because I wanted a Japanese 360 and ended up liking the game much more than I thought I would.

It's a meticulous and lovingly crafted RPG. If it wasn't for Mother 3, it would be the only game that fits that description that I've played in years.

So many games these days just don't "come together" right. Like there are 3 different teams working on them, and they're just mashed together in the end...but Blue Dragon is different. It feels like it was made by one person. Like every object, every enemy, every event, every area was placed there for a reason. It's addictive, well-paced, highly considerate to the player and tremendously fun.

I'm at what I would assume is the end of the 2nd disc, and I've enjoyed every second of it thus far. Of course, it has its weaknesses, but none of them even begin to ruin the game. I had no interest in it and it appeals to my sensibilities very little, but it's such an exceptionally well-crafted game that I can't help but love it. Old-school RPG fans should be peeing their pants over this. I'm stopping myself before I go into a 4 page essay about it.

I'm also -still- playing...

KOF XI
Tung's LDM is seriously getting on my nerves, though. Is there any way to avoid this!? It wouldn't be so bad if the chip damage wasn't monstrous. Other "banes of my existence" include Silber in general, Jazu with a full gauge and Maxima's chop.

Looking forward to...

Lost Planet
I bought it, but I haven't tried it out yet because I've been too busy with work and Blue Dragon. Looking forward to trying it out online as well, though I won't let myself get a real Xbox Live membership until there are at least 2 games I can play on it.

Trio The Punch
I'm thrilled about them making a port of this, as odd of a decision as it is. I'm going to throw a PARTY when I get it. My last experience with the game was playing it on an emulator online with a friend. I couldn't play for some reason, but I could chat, so I made fun of him as he sucked it up for half an hour on the game (due to his bad connection speed). We quit when he said "This is hell" after half an hour of silence.

I'm also strongly considering picking up Senko no Ronde, but reviews/videos have turned me away from Earth Defense Force, and Oneechanbara.

That doesn't seem like a lot...I wonder if I'm forgetting something?

Replies:

Time Mage
2501th Post

"Re(1):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Sun 28 Jan 21:00post reply

I like the idea: Talking about videogames in a videogame forum. Here I go:

Playing

Valkyrie Profile (PSX).

Everyone I know praised it, so it couldn't be that bad, and, so far, they were right. I like the strange game flow, the battle system, the crystal puzzles, and the gorgeous 2D sprites, really well animated. The music is good, too, and while there doesn't seem to be a story behind "collect warriors for the valhalla", so far I'm not missing anything more. It's too easy, however, at least in normal difficulty.

I'm glad I decided to finally play it.

Final Fantasy Tactics.(PSX)

Again. Now I'm in the middle of a Thief Straight Character Challenge, just past Bervenia Free City. And what does that mean? I have a Chantage! Infinite reraise and regen in one of my girls will make a previously quite hard challenge much easier now. And in the moment I reach the Deep Dungeon... My team will become godly!
So far, a very fun, albeit frustrating at times, SCC. Steal Heart can wreak havok on the enemy lines, and stealing and poaching are really useful for getting things like the Chantage or the Zorlin Shape.

Looking forward to...

Okami and God Hand (PS2)

They reach Europe the 14 of March, and I've heard so many good things from both that I just cannot wait.

Cooking Mama (Wii)

I don't know when will it be released, but I'm really looking forward to it. I think it will be one of the best games for the Wii controller. And since I like cooking, I might try some of the recipes there, too!

Oh, and about Silber, Polly: I use him, so I know his weaknesses: He's slow and fragile, so a well planned rush mixing short jumps and low attacks with the occasional combo off of one of those shuts him down pretty well. The only decent way out for Silber is guessing a counter or a DM counter, but then again, you can empty jump, too. Just don't let him get in control of the flow of the match.

I'm the leading man. You know what they say abut the leading man? He NEVER dies.

Maese Spt
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Sun 28 Jan 21:39:post reply

quote:
Trio The Punch
I'm thrilled about them making a port of this, as odd of a decision as it is. I'm going to throw a PARTY when I get it. My last experience with the game was playing it on an emulator online with a friend. I couldn't play for some reason, but I could chat, so I made fun of him as he sucked it up for half an hour on the game (due to his bad connection speed). We quit when he said "This is hell" after half an hour of silence.

Lucky! cha!cha!cha!

BEST.GAME.EVER.

(No, seriously. If only on an awkward, lovely way).

Since I have all my consoles 12000kms. away from me, that's pretty much all I can contribute to the topic right now... Oh, well, I do miss playing Ôkami, and I'm really curious to get my clutches into Zelda TP. That's about it.

Also, on an unrelated note: weebles are falling*add boundless Data_East love here*

マツケン サンバ!!!!

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Sun 28 Jan 21:40]

NARUTO
3526th Post

"Re(1):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Sun 28 Jan 22:19post reply

Playing: Zelda TP game cube.

For this Game I got a wierd feelings, I love it as much as I hate it. It's game who's magnificent at some point and horrible in others.
The technical part is really great nice graphics, marvelous musics, and nice gameplay. The problem is that Zelda never evolved a bit in 15 years, the puzzles are so similar to the old zelda, and even with a huge world it's always the same way you travel trought it.
Like in many zelda, battle are usuless, the ennemis being so weak and rarely agressives. Boss battle being quite useless to , since they're so easy.The fatc are that the game look so old in some ways, still no voices, and link is still mute, Some characters disgn are extremely nice, but you mostly see those characters once or twice no more, linke the zora queen or Midna's really body, when you have her as a stupid and ridiculous design, linke alla the characters that stays for long. It' seems that nintendo still have some trouble to grow up, and still have the "carebear" mind, maybe one day they'll ba able to make a really adult version of a zelda game.But the world itself is nice, the story change a bit, and the new characters bring some fresh air to the serie. the usual "search stuff" is here and the magic of the serie too. MAybe the perfect zelda would be the next.

Waiting for: Okami, and Gdo of war 2.

Well booth of them will be the swan songs of the PS2, and even being the last best Ps2 they're so different in all the ways.
That's maybe why I want booth of them they gives a dfferent but complementary experience.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

kofoguz
506th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Mon 29 Jan 04:19post reply

Playing: Okami:
It was like a bad marriage to me. My machine was kinda broke so the loading times are like ten-fifteen minutes each time. It even freezes in the middle of the game and comes back 5-10 seconds. But I loved the game, eventhough the load times hurts me I keep on playing it. But its a beatiful game for me, I dont know you guy, for me its great. But then the bad news is my PS2 does not recognize anygame or disc right now. So I gotta wait to continue. I love the game.

FF X: I guess I was near to the end. Ive came to the zanarkand last time I play.

Waiting for: KOFXII or KOFMIA. Goddamn Snk at least open a site just only with a logo. Thats all I am waiting for.
For the games has been released or about to be: Its FFX-2, FFXII and KOF XI European release.I want to read Quotes when I play 1p thats all I do with it nowadays.

HAYATO
747th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Mon 29 Jan 05:21post reply

quote:
Trio The Punch

WTF, a port of TTP?? When is it going to be released and which platform will it run on? Porting this game is one of the weirdest decisions I've ever heard of... Data East will never cease to amuse me...

quote:

Playing

Valkyrie Profile (PSX).

Everyone I know praised it, so it couldn't be that bad, and, so far, they were right. I like the strange game flow, the battle system, the crystal puzzles, and the gorgeous 2D sprites, really well animated. The music is good, too, and while there doesn't seem to be a story behind "collect warriors for the valhalla", so far I'm not missing anything more. It's too easy, however, at least in normal difficulty.

I'm glad I decided to finally play it.

Ha ha ha, oh wow!!! You are pretty fucked, man. I'd suggest you to restart your game and to try hard mode, otherwise you won't be able to get the full extent of the game's plot, the best dungeons and weapons and many other things... But doth not worry: I made the very same mistake the first time I played it. The other choice you have is playing the game twice (another great idea, as VP:Lenneth is the best RPG ever created)...

Time Mage
2502th Post

"Re(3):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Mon 29 Jan 08:07post reply

quote:

Ha ha ha, oh wow!!! You are pretty fucked, man. I'd suggest you to restart your game and to try hard mode, otherwise you won't be able to get the full extent of the game's plot, the best dungeons and weapons and many other things... But doth not worry: I made the very same mistake the first time I played it. The other choice you have is playing the game twice (another great idea, as VP:Lenneth is the best RPG ever created)...

Unless I like it a lot, I'm not going to replay it. In fact, I'm following a FAQ to get the best ending (and just for that).

I'm the leading man. You know what they say abut the leading man? He NEVER dies.

Pollyanna
2152th Post

"Re(3):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Mon 29 Jan 08:26:post reply

quote:

WTF, a port of TTP?? When is it going to be released and which platform will it run on?

PS2 Feb 8.

(most of the rest of this is for Time Mage, though it relates to what Hayato said as well)

Concerning Valkyrie Profile, I wouldn't say you're missing out on the plot if you don't do hard mode. Mazes, yes, but I would say you get the whole scope of the "true" story as long as you get the "real" ending. If you have to spoil yourself a little to figure out how to do this, go for it. Beats being robbed of a real conclusion.

Edit: Looks like you're on top of that.

I will warn you however that VP has the most horrible, insulting ending I've ever seen. The events leading up to the ending are amazing, but the ending itself was drawn by one person, is very short and so typical that it betrays the otherwise brilliantly creative game. I'm just saying:prepare yourself, so you won't hate the game in the end.

My problem with VP is that the animations take too long. It didn't bother me when I played it the first time, but it's prevented me from playing it twice.

On Silber...
I'll have to try fearing him less. It's just that you've got to be really close and really fast for him not to have time to get off any number of moves he has with excellent speed and priority. If I'm not mistaken, his counter works on everything and comes out super fast. Empty hops work for me sometimes, but he's strooong, so there's a heavy cost if I guess wrong.

The thing is, I play without time, so the Silber I play against has a tendency to do the flying kick whenever he needs to get away/sees an opening, and restarts the process of me trying to get in on him. Depending on who I use, it isn't an issue, as some characters can counter the kick, although most either aren't fast or close enough.

I'm always surprised that he can pull his giant axe kick special on wakeup. Looks cool...and hurts. His top-down command kick is nice, too, especially because it's so safe.

Anyway, next time I play (Wednesday) I'll try hammering him and see how that works.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Mon 29 Jan 08:27]

Maou
993th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Mon 29 Jan 09:43post reply

quote:

I'm just saying:prepare yourself, so you won't hate the game in the end.

Always a drag, but I assume people got used to that with Final Fantasy VII ten years ago.

BUT ANYWAY

I'm playing Tales of the Abyss (after dropping Shadow Hearts) and love it, it's only about 8 hours in and already it's accomplishing things I always wished Phantasia had with an interesting and layered story, etc., and it's gorgeous. Plus I'm excited to play an RPG only about a year late after it came out, which I haven't done since FFXII. Too bad the first real boss keeps killing me since there are no revive AI patterns to program like in XII.

Soul Calibur II

I have a new apprentice after a year's gap! It's so fun, and reminds me why I hated III.

....and lately I'm playing the first Dracula/Castlevania for cultural literacy. Rockman 2, also.

Can't WAIT for Phantasy Star II Sega Ages to show up, too!

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Gojira
2100th Post

"Re(1):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Mon 29 Jan 12:44post reply

Well, I'm glad to hear Blue Dragon is something to look forward to, because that's what I'm doing.

What I'm playing:

Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops - This is pretty much the kind of game I bought a PSP for. Even though the system is kind of too simple and the recruiting isn't as useful as I was hoping it'd be, it was still a lot of fun to play. The game itself tells the usual legacy-rewriting story that Kojima often does, but I didn't have strong opinions about the MGS mythos so it didn't bother me. The cutscenes are ugly as sin but the voice acting is good so I got used to it. One feature I like about the game is called "access point scan" which is just a fancy term for picking up stray signals in the real world, locking into them and converting them to soldiers you can recruit. It's hard to describe how strangely satisfying it is to find a doctor named "Giant Panda" with S-rank sniping under your toilet.

Samurai Warriors 2 - Why Musashi is in this game I don't know (I could have sworn he had nothing to do with the pre-Tokugawa Era), but otherwise it's fun seeing such exaggerated interpretations of historic figures. I miss the humorous characters from SW1 though... no Goemon? Come on. I just pray that Koei/ omega Force never gets the idea to go after US historic figures. I don't think the world is ready to see Ben Franklin as a perverted sociopath who attacks redcoats with an electric kite.

Phantom Brave - So I finally started playing a Nippon Ichi game to see what all the crap is over. I watched the intro, jumped around the little island for 5 minutes and turned it off. :P I'm not ragging the game (didn't play long enough to get into a battle so it wouldn't be fair of me), I just don't have time to play it yet. Or maybe I'm just afraid of it.

Freeter
4362th Post

"Re(2):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Mon 29 Jan 15:21post reply

Currently playing:

Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - Really nice graphics on this one. Reminds me of that "Take On Me" video. A little slow-paced though.

La Pucelle Tactics - Looks like a lighthearted version of FF Tactics, so I'm giving it a chance. Decent so far.

Anticipating:

KOF XII - More out of curiosity than anything else. My interest in KOF is waning now that it's no longer yearly.

FF Tactics remake - The only game that has me even remotely interested in buying a PSP. The added cutscenes already make this sweet game even better, now they just need to tone down Orlandu and make the final boss harder and they're all set.

FF XII Revenant Wings - Looks pretty good from the screens and the trailer. Maybe I should get around to playing FFXII one of these days...

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Snake back in the driver's seat, and most of the MGS cast returning and looking better than ever...this is what MGS2 should've been.

Super Mario Galaxy - Like I really need to explain this one...

hikarutilmitt
363th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Mon 29 Jan 16:39post reply

Playing:

Yggdra Union - I can only say how much fun this game is. I traded in like 5 games to get it and I've already had more fun in 2 hours of play than I did with the games I traded in total.

Twilight Princess Wii - Finally started on it today despite having it since Xmas. It's great. I can't really put words to how good it is but it's great.

Super Swing Golf - Well, I guess I'm ALWAYS playing this because I've played it more than any of my Wii games, and that's saying something. It's made me change batteries in my main remote 3 times by itself.

Looking forward to:

God of War 2 - Unless it comes out at $30 I'll wait since I don't feel the first game was quite worth $50, though it was still fantastic, IMO.

Virtua fighter 5 - No comment needed.

Cooking Mama Wii - DS version is great, so I can only imagine how a Wii version would be that much better.

Kiki Kaikai 2 - I want this. Badly.

Kenichi - As much as licensed games can be crap and generic shonen manga/anime can be generic, I want to play this and it's all because the show is actually fun despite itself.

HAYATO
748th Post

"Re(4):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Mon 29 Jan 18:04post reply

quote:

I will warn you however that VP has the most horrible, insulting ending I've ever seen. The events leading up to the ending are amazing, but the ending itself was drawn by one person, is very short and so typical that it betrays the otherwise brilliantly creative game. I'm just saying:prepare yourself, so you won't hate the game in the end.

My problem with VP is that the animations take too long. It didn't bother me when I played it the first time, but it's prevented me from playing it twice.

I hope they'd fixed that issues on the PSP version... I'm pretty sure the one related to the ending has been fixed , as they have remade all the CG scenes but does anyone know if they added an "skip" option for the Soul Cleanser Moves ala Silmeria style? This would've been really useful...

Oh, about the games I'm currently playing on my PS2:

- Genji : I know it's quite old, but I got it recently and I found it quite entertaining...
- FFXII : I haven't retaken it yet, but I think I'll do so in a near future...

And about the games I'm looking forward the most :

- Dawn of Mana
- God of War 2
- Rogue Galaxy
- Hokuto No Ken
- Drakengard series : Albeit being a bit old, I haven't finished downloading them yet, and I've heard so many praising reviews that I thought they deserved to be on the list...
- Viewtiful Joe series : Same as Drakengard

Phoenix
885th Post

"Re(5):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Mon 29 Jan 23:06:post reply

Recently I've been playing my friend's 360...

1. Gears of War: Can't stop the Cole train!
2. Rainbow Six Las Vegas: my eyes hurt
3. Marvel Ultimate Alliance: Eh~
4. Max Payne: not even half way done
5. Jade Empire: about half way?
6. Tales of the Abyss: like 2 hours...

Games I'm looking forward to:

1. Stranglehold: This game is gonna rock hard
2. Zelda Twilight Princess: I bought it...
3. FF XII: I'm thinking about buying it
4. Splinter Cell Double Agent: Nice co op
5. Shadow of the Colossus
6. Victorious Boxers 2: It's here in USA!
7. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne
8. Company of Heroes: got great reviews...
9. Metroid Prime
10. Blue Dragon
11. Half Life 2
12. KOF XII: Well that one should go w/o saying
13. Xenosaga

[this message was edited by Phoenix on Tue 30 Jan 09:20]

Evenor
523th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Tue 30 Jan 02:02:post reply

Playing:

Final Fantasy XII: I am basically in the last dungeon. My Penelo is extremely cute and I hate Vaan with a passion.

Romancing SaGa: I play it randomly, I'm near the end with Sif.

Anticipating:

Persona 3
KOF XII
POKEMON PEARL/DIAMOND
Rule of Rose (waiting to find it in a random bargin bin.)
Rogue Galaxy

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

[this message was edited by Evenor on Tue 30 Jan 02:35]

Ishmael
2724th Post

"Re(7):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Tue 30 Jan 02:21post reply

Perhaps I have not seen anything on the next-gen systems that has convinced me that I need to upgrade. Or maybe I'm just plain cheap. Whatever it is, it looks like I'm going to be looking up previous ganeration games I missed the first time around and/or bottom feeding in the bargain bins for awhile.

Currently Playing: One game I make certain to play every day is Brain Age, a game that provides me with daily reminders of how stupid I am.

Need to Buy: Cooking Mama on the DS. It looks enjoyable plus the idea that a game with the title of "Cooking Mama" was released in the US makes me smile.

Looking Forward To: Against my better judgment I'm curious to see how Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War turns out. I'm also looking forward to Forever Blue. While violent action games are great fun, SCUBA diving games are where it's really at.

Maou
995th Post

"Re(8):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Tue 30 Jan 03:43post reply

Ghahaha, Brain Age seems great, I'd have it if I had a DS, which I could categorize as "lots of games I'm looking forward to" even if I don't own one/have the funds. For the first night I saw it: friend's age: 80. His girlfriend's age: 40ish. Drinking may have been involved, but it was still pretty hilarious, especially with the color text experiments I haven't seen since psych class.

exodus
3743th Post

"stuffz0rz" , posted Tue 30 Jan 08:42:post reply

Playing
Asuka 120% Limit Over - this is the fan hack that nobody could figure out how to get working. Somebody did! More about this later.

Super Shove It - this is a cellphone game that my friends made...I'm playing it because my DS and games got stolen, as well as many of my GBA rarities. So that's really limited my playing, as that's most of what I did.

Looking Forward to
Hotel Dusk. I know it's out, but I don't have it yet. So that.

EDF 3

Cleaned-up US Bulletwitch

Um. Resident Evil 5?

[hikarutilmitt edit] - kikikaikai 2. hoorayz

And wishlist: Arcana Heart and Rumble Fish 2 home ports.

[this message was edited by exodus on Tue 30 Jan 08:45]

Nate
816th Post

"Re(3):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Tue 30 Jan 13:55post reply

Playing:

Not much of anything. Old stuff. Street Fighter Alpha 3 now that I can finally finally pull off the motion. Yeah, it took this long. It's a fucking retarded motion even though I can pull it off now, honestly. What was Capcom thinking?

That and Marvel vs. Capcom 2, just unlocking crap mostly.

Looking Forward To:
I haven't been paying attention to much but basically if I ever stop being a bitch and get a DS, Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin is first on my list.

Aside from that basically whatever my old roommates who actually buy games end up getting I will probably play.

NOT Looking Forward To:
Persona 3. I've just seen and heard too much that it doesn't feel right at all to me. AI party members? Ehhhhh. Date sim elements? Blehhh. Randomly generated dungeons? No thanks. Lack of talking to demons? FUCK YOU ATLUS! The contact system was one of the best things about the Persona series and they completely forgot about it. LAME.

The sad part is visually and aurally it is incredibly appealing to me, but they fucked over the gameplay so bad that I think I'll just get depressed trying to play it and thinking of what could have been.

Dammit Atlus.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Undead Fred
2774th Post

"Re(4):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Tue 30 Jan 17:10post reply

Playing:

Lost Planet- I had gotten this a few weeks ago, and am slowly chipping away at it after work. It's a fun game and the visuals are good... I just wasn't as into it as when I played Gears of War. I can't decide if I just don't like the environments' theme or what. I also kept trying to use the grappling hook like the one in Bionic Commando for several missions in. I guess that's the only thing I could complain about the game is to loosen up the grappling hook and let the player swing a little more freely (as in, jump towards a ledge and grapple it in mid-air or leap off and grab it and swing away and so forth... and possibly being able to grab ammo and power-ups with it). Otherwise, the game works pretty well. Although that grinning guy's haircut is too Falcoon-when-he's-gone-overboard for me. I still need to try out the online play, but I've been doing my usual thing and waiting until I beat the story mode before jumping in to that.

And I've also been doing random DOA4 and Gears of War matches with friends.

Looking forward to:

BulletWitch- I only got to catch a web video of it months ago, but I thought it looked promising. Plus, I like the "girl with a gigantic gun mowing down thousands of monsters" concept. It comes out in the US in February, I think?

chazumaru
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Tue 30 Jan 22:34post reply

Playing: one million DS games. RB2. A bit of Lost Planet. Suzubaku on PSP. A few freewares.
Anticipating: one billion DS games. Blue Dragon in a version running on my console. Monster World Collection.

Besides unhealthy DS love, I do not have much time to play anything else. Handhelds (DS, PSP and even GBMicro) are so much more convenient for my everyday life that I am slowly getting out of touch (literally speaking) with home consoles. The only two regular activites reminding me that entertainement through home consoles is possible are watching Mainichi Issho with colleagues on weekdays and playing RB2 with a friend on weekends.

Like Polly, I had made my mind on buying an Xbox 360 because of Blue Dragon. Pre-release hype, first impressions and videos had sold me the 360 bundle. Unfortunately right at the moment I was thinking about the best way to get it back here without going through expensive mailing fees, I was offered a PAL 360 by a colleague. Which is fine and all, and I cannot complain, but it puts me in a very uneasy situation. Most of the games I am interested in on X360 are exclusive to the JP market and do not run on another 360 (Pro Spi 3, BD, Sylpheed...). On the other hand any quality game's US version will run on a Japanese 360. Furthermore I am worried that some games such as Operation: Darkness will never leave the JP market. However it is now quite hard to trade my PAL 360 for a JP 360, for diplomatic and practical reasons. Very annoying situation. I bought Lost Planet but only played it one evening. It was OK, at least exactly what I had bought it for.

What I am anticipating the most is when I will have some time to enjoy games, actually. I have been waiting for an opportunity to check out these numerous PC-88 games I got last year. I am only 15% through MGS Portable ops. I want to give Dragon ShadowSpell and the two "Ryuu" games from Sega a try some time. I want to organize a personal 25 years of ninja games from MSX to PS1 orgy on my PSP's memostick. I have high hopes for this summer's Comiket. I also want to give Chaos Seed another chance now that I am a bit less at odds with kanji-loaded texts.

To stay on track with the main idea behind the original post, I am surprised and a bit ashamed that the upcoming game I am truely excited about is Monster World Collection. Mostly for WBV:MWIII. I realise I could probably get it on a Sega collection, wait for the VC release or simply play it on emu via my PSP. Yet I am pumped up about this peculiar edition. Have I fallen in that old gamer's depression mood where you mostly care about the games from your youth that you already played? Hopefully BD comes soon enough in á version compatible with my 360. Bioshock looks interesting to me and I now have a console to play it. ProSpi 4 should be my excuse to bring a PS3 home in April. Bumpy Trot 2 will come at some point. And I can't wait to receive that overpriced OutRun 2 SP Anniversary Box.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

exodus
3744th Post

"Re(6):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Wed 31 Jan 02:20post reply

quote:
Furthermore I am worried that some games such as Operation: Darkness will never leave the JP market.

based on TGS impressions, I'd say that would not be a bad thing.

quote:

I want to give Dragon ShadowSpell a try

me too, but unfortunately I now know that it follows Flight Plan's recent idea that tactics games need 20 minutes of dialogue in between. Very frustrating when the story is not at all why I want to play those games, and what they say in 20 minutes could easily be done in 5.

I also neglected to mention I want to try zettai zetsumei 2.
And every D3 game that comes out. Chaz, my new secret project would interest you!

chazumaru
465th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(7):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Wed 31 Jan 08:30post reply

quote:
based on TGS impressions, I'd say that would not be a bad thing.

Yes the TGS demo was not so hot but I still have hope.

quote:
Flight Plan

I expect DragonShadowSpell to be stupid but I need to get a slap in the face and remember not to care about Flight Plan for a few more years.

quote:
Chaz, my new secret project would interest you!

Sanrio Cup Pon Pon Volley: The Live Action Movie?

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Pollyanna
2152th Post

"Re(8):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Wed 31 Jan 08:58post reply

Ah! I forgot about VF5! I'm looking forward to that a LOT.

I thought about getting DragonShadowSpell myself, but the unfinished ToD remake and Blue Dragon take priority. There was, indeed too much talking at least in SN3, as well as an annoyingly repetitive soundtrack and not enough variety in just about everything. Ah, but the fights that were good were really good.

I didn't hear good things about SN4, so I passed on it. Is the series aimed at girls? All the "sexy" guys talking about nothing for 45 minutes at a time seemed to indicate so.

Also, what's being "cleaned up" on Bullet Witch in America?

In other news, I'm ready for the last dungeon in Blue Dragon. My primary complaint is that the game is very "limited". The world, the characters and the plot are all very focused. That's made for a very well-constructed gaming experience, but one that doesn't quite challenge enough for my tastes. Still, I hate to complain about a game that I've enjoyed every minute of. I've still got quite a bit of extra stuff to fool around with, too.

Nate
To me, most of the "non Persona" things about Persona 3 work out just fine, in theory at least. The one thing that ruins it though, is that it isn't edgy enough. The dating stuff would actually be tremendously enjoyable if the WRITING was like Persona. Instead you get these bland, stereotypical storylines with the supporting characters that failed to catch my interest. (with the exception of a select few) I wouldn't mind exploring my relationships with these characters if they actually did anything interesting.

Also, it's entirely too long. It can't support itself for 100 hours. That's too much. I want to finish it, but I've had enough. It's a shame, because I'm at least mildly interested in the main plot, and the (frequent) animated cutscenes are amazing.

exodus
3746th Post

"Re(9):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Wed 31 Jan 09:27post reply

quote:
Also, what's being "cleaned up" on Bullet Witch in America?

Aiming, the power of the rifle, the 'willpower' spell was moved forward since it's the best/most interesting one, and also now flying objects don't always insta-kill you. This was frustrating when you'd get hit in the leg by a trash can and die.

they came into my office to show me changes after I offered my 'advice' to them some time earlier. they took about half of it! I bet I won't get any credit though!

flight plan...well...I want to see a Black Matrix A/D remake on a current console!

as for new secret project...I'll unveil it later!

Nate
817th Post

"Re(9):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Wed 31 Jan 10:12post reply

quote:

Nate
To me, most of the "non Persona" things about Persona 3 work out just fine, in theory at least. The one thing that ruins it though, is that it isn't edgy enough. The dating stuff would actually be tremendously enjoyable if the WRITING was like Persona. Instead you get these bland, stereotypical storylines with the supporting characters that failed to catch my interest. (with the exception of a select few) I wouldn't mind exploring my relationships with these characters if they actually did anything interesting.

Also, it's entirely too long. It can't support itself for 100 hours. That's too much. I want to finish it, but I've had enough. It's a shame, because I'm at least mildly interested in the main plot, and the (frequent) animated cutscenes are amazing.

The characters are a huge part of what bothers me, actually. They LOOK interesting(Yukari excluded, she's extremely generic and does nothing for me but I understand the need for the "heroine"). Their personalities, however, are bland as hell. How could they make a demon-fighting sentient robot girl boring? Somehow they did. I think you're right about it coming down to poorly-written typical RPG dialogue without the flair or edge that was in the other games.

I really think that's what Persona 3 lacks for me. Flair. It's shiny and pretty but there's nothing beyond the surface. It's even more frustrating in this case because Persona is one of my favorite series ever.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Bata kun
3005th Post

"I guess it's my turn?" , posted Wed 31 Jan 10:32post reply

quote:
flight plan...well...I want to see a Black Matrix A/D remake on a current console!

I can't see it on any console besides the PS2.

Well, I better mention my games now.

Playing:

- "Moero! Justice Gakuen"

I managed to get all of the diary images. Now, I can just try to actually make characters. Oh and I actually have a young brother that pushes me in this game. No joke.

- "Final Fantasy III"

After getting all of the diary images, I've decided to get back into playing this game.

Games I'm looking forward to that are out already:

- "Virtua Fighter V"

What else needs to be said?

- "Pokemon Pearl" and "Diamond"

Yes, I'm looking forward to these games. Don't ask why. I'm going to pick the penguin.

Games I'm looking forward to that are not out yet:

- "Rokuban Shoubu"

I can't believe no one said this yet. Of course, people are yelling at SNKP for bringing this up, but eh. Oh well.

- "1998 Ultimate Match"

The only flaw the game needs to fix is the emotions system. Hopefully, this version will do so. I so want to beat down those that are looking forward to playing as the boss team. =P

I'll think of more later.

ふもっふ!

catalyst
192th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):I guess it's my turn?" , posted Wed 31 Jan 12:46post reply

Playing:
At the moment none unless at friends house, Call of Duty for PS3. I personally never thought I would find myself in a FPS game but its just fun! That and I like blowing up my own team mates with a bazooka just to be a jerk.

Waiting:
Ryuu ga Gotoku 2 brought on here to America! Strange thing with Ryuu ga gotoku I can get into this but strangely not Shenmue as much as I try too.

Hajime no ippo revolution: I'd seriously love to play this if I ever get my hands on a Japanese wii just to play Sendo and Takamura

Metal gear Solid 4? Personally I shouldn't be waiting on this despite how much I like the series but I hear from IGN supposedly it will be pushed back. Eh, what can you do.

ONSLAUGHT
3631th Post

"Re(1):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Wed 31 Jan 14:01post reply

quote:
what are you playing? What did you just finish? What are you looking forward to?

Playing:
Saints Row - Shameless GTA ripoff, but a fun game to kill the time.

Dead Rising - Excellent game, currently trying to unlock all achievements.

Gears of War - Replaying it at high difficulty.

Looking forward to:

Lost Planet
Devil May Cry 4
Metal Gear Solid 4
God of War 2
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Kane and Lynch Dead Men
etc...

Undead Fred
2775th Post

"Re(2):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Wed 31 Jan 16:22post reply

quote:
Kane and Lynch Dead Men

Oh! I forgot about this one... I checked out the trailer and I'm definitely interested... I just hope it turns out well.

As for the changes in Bullet Witch that Exodus mentioned- you mentioned the gun's power was changed? Is that a good thing? They didn't overcrank the power and make it too easy, did they?

Sensenic
1560th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(3):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Wed 31 Jan 17:40post reply

De-lurking... Lessee:

Now playing (or just having played):
- Straightforwardly linear games on an agonizing computer, yesterday I just finished Sam & Max Ep. 1! Even if it was so easy, short & linear it was also so brilliant... the psychotherapy session, the dream sequences, the silly car minigame... The Dialogs! Also, keeping in mind the lack of time plus the ginormous accumulation of must-read, must-play, must-watch things I have, gotta admit its short length became rather an added advantage than a flaw.

- Also yesterday, somehow, I finally finished Castlevania PoR... and I really enjoyed it, despite its plain castle design and abusive recycling. Now it's boss-rushing, and secret characters' modes playing for me, so I'm far from done with it. Plus, with all the tedious enemy object grinding done (which felt much more compensating than DOS' though), it's only a matter of hack 'n slash action now.

- And since I'm still halfway through it (or so), I guess Silent Hill 3 goes here too, when I get to borrow it again, that is.

Looking forward to:
- The rest of the Sam & Max episodes, given the first one.
- Hotel Dusk, still without a fixed date for European release, AFAIK :(
- Final Fantasy III, due April :(

And I think there're more, but can remember them right now.

PS: Just read on here (Supanishu) that Telltale Games are asking for a Wii programmer. Hmm...

Ling Yao. The king indeed.

"In the beginning there was nothing and God said: "Let there be light".
And still there was nothing but you could see it!
" -Unknown-

dragon-warrior
1264th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Wed 31 Jan 18:13post reply

Playing:
-Wairo Ware :Smooth moves: quite funny :) the usual Wario micro games with alot of crazy remote stands :D.
I didnt play the multiplayer Yet. they say it is the best part of the game. so i look forward to it.

-GuitarHero 2 : the multiplayer is amazing. playing on Extreme now.

-I just finished SRW OG1/OG2 US ver.

-Zelda TP (wii) : god i wish i took the GAMECUBE version, i miss controlling the camera. -_- fixed camera sucks in a ZELDA game... something still bothering me about this game? dont know what exactly.

waiting for:

nothing in my mind for the coming 3-5 months...
near the end of the year:
Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros.
Metroid Prime 3
Metal gear Solid 4
DMC 4
PW 3 and 4.

Cain Highwind
749th Post

"Re(5):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Wed 31 Jan 20:20post reply

Well I finally got my Wii, so I've been able to play a lot of Wii games finally.

-Rayman Raving Rabbids: This game is so ridculous with its minigames and fun shooter levels makes it impossible to resist. I'll replay several of the minigames just to either hear the background noises of the tutorial screen (different for each game) or just to see the hilarious "intros" to certain games.

-Excite Truck: I kind of wish I didn't spend 50 bucks on it buuuut I'm still having fun with this title, I want to get an SD Card for Custom MP3s.

-Wii Sports: I wasn't that impressed with boxing, but I love playing golf, bowling, and tennis.

-Zelda: Yep I kinda see what Naruto is talking about. But to me, Zelda is one of those games, where you know what to expect, but still enjoy it immensly for what it is.

And I have to say I'm spending a lot of time in the Mii channel creating Miis, I'm almost up to 40 with my Family, One Piece characters, MASH characters, and I'm even starting with the Airplane! cast.

I'm also playing Phoenix Wright at work. Definetely as fun and great as everyone says.

Anticipating:

FFT: Shishi Sensou: Yep like Freeter, this is the ONE game I plan on getting a PSP for, gives me an excuse to try some of those MM Remakes and Powerstone.

KoF 98 UM / KoF XII: Pretty expected reasons.

Metroid Prime 3

Smash Brothers Brawl

exodus
3747th Post

"Re(3):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Thu 1 Feb 02:34post reply

quote:
you mentioned the gun's power was changed? Is that a good thing? They didn't overcrank the power and make it too easy, did they?

no, basically the rifle was almost completely useless. It was hard to aim as it had a small target reticle (that's fine for a rifle), BUT a headshot didn't get you a kill! You're better off upgrading your standard gun in the old version, because of the time it takes the rifle to reload. Essentially, the rifle was a weapon you would never choose, because they'd balanced it wrong. So it should be re-balanced as a useful weapon.

That's all!

KTallguy
890th Post

"Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 1 Feb 03:07:post reply

Playing:

DMC3 - Damn it, too many games are in the way of me beating this!! Awesome game, I just got Nevan and am dying at that huge horse cart thingie.

Resistance - I got in a clan, and although I never liked console shooters, the fact that I can play 20v20 online with my team all being members of my clan is pretty amazing. I just need to buy a mic.

Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 - It's difficult juggling working at a host bar and managing a hostess bar. And I'm not even doing the main story!

Metal Gear Solid: PO - I really am enjoying this game. And I actually think the comic book style cutscenes are pretty sweet. :) The later missions are interesting. Online play is fun but difficult, I don't really understand it.

Furai no Shiren DS: I play this off and on, with Brain Training and KanKen in stow.

Final Fantasy 6 Advance: Man, I wonder if I'll ever finish this. Too many games.

Company of Heroes: Although I'm not playing this one too much lately, if anyone's thinking of buying it, do it. You won't be disappointed (although you need a nice computer to really enjoy it).

Looking Forward to:

MGS4 - Awesome
DMC4 - Awesome
FF13 - Awesome
FF13v - Awesome
Armored Core 4 - AWESOME!
VF5 - AWESOME!!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Been a long time coming, but this PC shooter/rpg is finally going to be released. I'm really intrigued by the unique aspects of the game play, it looks like it'll play a lot like Deus Ex.

BioShock - From the System Shock creators, I hope that it's good.

FFTactics for PSP - Duh.

Kiki kikai 2: Gotta try this one.

God of War 2: I never played the first one, but I'm really hyped about this for some reason. My first US developed PS2 game in years.

Play to win.

[this message was edited by KTallguy on Thu 1 Feb 03:07]

Maou
997th Post

"Re(1):Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 1 Feb 05:09post reply

Ktallguy, seeing your post and the various people looking forward to Rogue Galaxy reminds me: do you still find the game as boring in retrospect as you did about half a year ago? It's absolutely gorgeous but I've had enough dungeon-ing with FFXII and have been avoiding Rogue's temptation with Tales of the Abyss, which looks almost as good, but...

Pollyanna
2154th Post

"Re(2):Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 1 Feb 06:36post reply

quote:
Ktallguy, seeing your post and the various people looking forward to Rogue Galaxy reminds me: do you still find the game as boring in retrospect as you did about half a year ago? It's absolutely gorgeous but I've had enough dungeon-ing with FFXII and have been avoiding Rogue's temptation with Tales of the Abyss, which looks almost as good, but...

The upgraded versions seems to add quite a lot, but after playing a Tales game, the battle system is going to seem hopelessly bland. I'm not saying it's bad or anything...the boss fights are great and the way you exploit weaknesses in the enemies is cool, too, but you don't have an awesome combo system and with the length of the mazes, it gets pretty monotonous pretty fast.

I've probably said this before, but there it is again. If you have to play it, put a game or two between it and ToA at least.

burning kyo
2429th Post

"Re(2):Lucky! cha!cha!cha!" , posted Thu 1 Feb 06:56post reply

Playing : Okami !

Waiting for : the next KOFs, Ryuga Gotoku 2, HnK and the next DS Gyakutens.

~ Flowers Blooming on the Moon Flowers Scattering on the Wind ~

Maou
998th Post

"Re(3):Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 1 Feb 07:38post reply

quote:

I've probably said this before, but there it is again. If you have to play it, put a game or two between it and ToA at least.

What a shame. I'll stick to Abyss, but I haven't had a mediocre game whose art tempted me me to play it so much since Shadow Hearts or SaGa Frontier II...or Chrono Cross, actually.

exodus
3750th Post

"Re(4):Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 1 Feb 08:42post reply

quote:

I haven't had a mediocre game whose art tempted me me to play it so much

how about zamurai?

makatiel
195th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 1 Feb 13:11post reply

quote:

What a shame. I'll stick to Abyss, but I haven't had a mediocre game whose art tempted me me to play it so much since Shadow Hearts or SaGa Frontier II...or Chrono Cross, actually.

i have the same problem with shining force exa. it just looks so damn good, but i hate rpgs.

Spoon
1387th Post

"Re(5):Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 1 Feb 14:43post reply

Playing:

Sword of Etheria aka OZ. The game has full English and NTSC, though hearing the battle voices in 4 other languages is fun. There is really just one little feature I wish the game had: the ability to switch lock-on target to the enemy your teammate is sending to you by clicking, say, R3. That's it.

Dicing Knight. Recently translated by AGTP, this game makes me wish I had a Wonderswan so that I could play it on the go. But I'm sure that hipster Brandon already played and dismissed it back in 2004.

Dota for Warcraft 3. My friends sucked me into it. It distills the MMORPG experience into like 1 hour more or less, complete with competitive farming technique, spawn blocking, ganking, PvP raiding, build optimization, etc.

3S. The company has a machine set on freeplay, what more can I say.

Cy Battler. The company has an Ultracade machine set on freeplay, what more can I say.

Random GBA/DS games. Yggdra Union, Tetris, and Hotel Dusk mostly.

Eagerly awaiting:

Hokuto no Ken PS2. But you know that already.

Undead Fred
2778th Post

"Re(4):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Thu 1 Feb 17:17post reply

quote:
no, basically the rifle was almost completely useless. It was hard to aim as it had a small target reticle (that's fine for a rifle), BUT a headshot didn't get you a kill! You're better off upgrading your standard gun in the old version, because of the time it takes the rifle to reload. Essentially, the rifle was a weapon you would never choose, because they'd balanced it wrong. So it should be re-balanced as a useful weapon.

That's all!

Ahhh, I didn't know you had more than one gun in the game... For some reason, I mis-read it like some fat 8 year old had said THIS IS 2 HARD LOL and they dumbed the game down for him by upping the power of the main gun in the US version. I guess I've just seen enough of "oh, the US version needs the studio cleaning staff for voice actors and we'll take out all the blood" in the past to assume the worst. Heh heh.

Good to hear I won't have to worry about stupid trash cans clipping by my ear and killing me in the game, though.

Ishmael
2729th Post

"Re(1):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 2 Feb 00:36post reply

quote:
Ryu Ga Gotoku 2 - It's difficult juggling working at a host bar and managing a hostess bar. And I'm not even doing the main story!

I'm assuming the host bar work is a variation on how the hostess bars worked in the first game but what is involved in running a hostess bar? Is it like the previous game's hostess experience except in a central location? Is it like Pokemon or other games of that ilk except instead of cutsie animals you get to collect and train women? Although I don't know what sort of system the game uses I'm certain it's delightful.

KTallguy
890th Post

"Re(2):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 2 Feb 02:49post reply

quote:

I haven't played the US version, and supposedly they've fixed some things. But I still think that the core gameplay is flawed. If you have nothing to do, then go for it, but I'd at least give it a rent first. The beginning parts are actually quite fun, but about 4-5 hours in you really start to see how monotonous the game can get.

And damn Chrono Cross, I keep wanting to go back and play that game again because the music is so great! Then I remember....

quote:

I'm assuming the host bar work is a variation on how the hostess bars worked in the first game but what is involved in running a hostess bar? Is it like the previous game's hostess experience except in a central location? Is it like Pokemon or other games of that ilk except instead of cutsie animals you get to collect and train women? Although I don't know what sort of system the game uses I'm certain it's delightful.

The hostess bar management is more akin to managing a restaurant or something. I've only done a little bit, so I haven't unlocked too much stuff, but basically it works like this:

1. Recruit girls off the street (I've only done this once so far, so I don't know how much of a collection element there is).
2. Interview girls, question them, flatter them, give them presents or bonus $$ => make them happy.
3. Pick how expensive the food menu in your Hostess club is.
4. Use your funds to buy furniture, different color carpets and wallpaper, lighting fixtures, etc.
5. Do some other quests, come back and you'll get an update and hopefully make some money.

It's pretty involved actually! However I've barely scratched the surface, so I'll have to get back to you on how deep it really is. It's fun though :)

Play to win.

exodus
3752th Post

"Re(5):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Fri 2 Feb 03:12post reply

quote:

Ahhh, I didn't know you had more than one gun in the game...

yeah, regular 'machinegun' type, rifle, shotgun, and gatling. It's a pretty decent game, really.

Maou
999th Post

"Re(3):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 2 Feb 04:48post reply

quote:
The beginning parts are actually quite fun, but about 4-5 hours in you really start to see how monotonous the game can get.
And damn Chrono Cross, I keep wanting to go back and play that game again because the music is so great! Then I remember....

Too bad, I feared as much when you described this before. I'll stick to Abyss and then....Dragon Quest VIII (finally) for my cel shading needs. Like SaGa Frontier II, the solution for Chrono Cross turned out to be to get the soundtrack and to try to imagine it's a cool electronica/worldmusic CD and not related to the "games" they were theoretically for.

Maou
1000th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(4):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 2 Feb 16:12post reply

AH DUDE
Add a remake of Dracula X to the list. If I had a PSP, that is.

Undead Fred
2780th Post

"Re(6):What are you playing/Looking forward to" , posted Fri 2 Feb 16:19post reply

quote:
yeah, regular 'machinegun' type, rifle, shotgun, and gatling. It's a pretty decent game, really.

Good to hear! I'm looking forward to it.

Ishmael
2732th Post

"Re(5):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 3 Feb 00:51post reply

quote:
The hostess bar management is more akin to managing a restaurant or something. I've only done a little bit, so I haven't unlocked too much stuff, but basically it works like this:

1. Recruit girls off the street (I've only done this once so far, so I don't know how much of a collection element there is).
2. Interview girls, question them, flatter them, give them presents or bonus $$ => make them happy.
4. Use your funds to buy furniture, different color carpets and wallpaper, lighting fixtures, etc.
5. Do some other quests, come back and you'll get an update and hopefully make some money.

It's pretty involved actually! However I've barely scratched the surface, so I'll have to get back to you on how deep it really is. It's fun though :)

Thanks for the info, it sounds like the system is surprisingly deep. For me nothing says "bad-ass yakuza" like setting up a meeting with an interior decorator. Here's to hoping that Sega continues to be insane and brings the sequel to the US.

quote:
AH DUDE

Two versions of Dracula X and SotN in one package? Damn, this is easily the best title I've seen announced for the PSP.

Maese Spt
349th Post

Bronze Customer

"This just rocked my world." , posted Sat 3 Feb 01:34post reply

quote:

AH DUDE

Two versions of Dracula X and SotN in one package? Damn, this is easily the best title I've seen announced for the PSP.

omg! OMG! O_O OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111111onetwothree

These are the best news since we entered the new millenium!!!! I can't even type properly; the hype is taking possession of every part of my soul. The last thing I would expect is Konami remembering about Rondo of Blood.

Now that I regain a bit of self awareness, I can see the revamped graphics look terrible, and I'm not very fond of those new Kojima's artworks neither... but hey, who needs a half-assed remake or yet another Cha-Cha-Cha under the Mournful Crépuscule lame sequel when you can enjoy the original&gorgeous Rondo of Blood, arguably the best Castlevania ever? That's the real attraction here! And Gekka no Nocturne is a delightful addition too (hopefuly it would be the complete version, with Maria and such stuff). Man, I don't really wanna a portable, but, but...

マツケン サンバ!!!!

HAYATO
751th Post

"Re(6):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 3 Feb 01:42post reply

quote:

Thanks for the info, it sounds like the system is surprisingly deep. For me nothing says "bad-ass yakuza" like setting up a meeting with an interior decorator. Here's to hoping that Sega continues to be insane and brings the sequel to the US.

AH DUDE

INSTANT WIN

exodus
3755th Post

"Re(7):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 3 Feb 01:57post reply

note: all three of those games are called dracula x.

just saying.

also the 3D one doesn't play badly at all, so!

IkariDC
608th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(8):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 3 Feb 07:53post reply

I'm glad that this Chi no Rondo remake looks completly uninteresting to me, I didn't need another serious reason to think of a PSP purchase.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Pollyanna
2156th Post

"Re(9):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 3 Feb 08:10post reply

quote:
I'm glad that this Chi no Rondo remake looks completly uninteresting to me, I didn't need another serious reason to think of a PSP purchase.

I agree. In my opinion, if you have the original, the remake seems pointless,...unless you wanna be able to play it on the road. However, I'm verrrry glad they're including the original as well, and the artwork looks smooth. (although I wish there was a bridge between the new and old Maria designs. I'd like to see her with a silly dress again).

Maese Spt
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 3 Feb 12:03post reply

quote:
However, I'm verrrry glad they're including the original as well

That's the point! I wouldn't ever bother to try that polygonal abomination!

I guess playing Rondo everyday on train would be quite nice as well. Hmm, I realize that if I finally fell into temptation and get a PSP, pretty much the only games I would actually play would be re-releases of older classics: Dracula X collection, VP:Lenneth and the GenSui 1&2 bundle...

Oh, and I kinda miss the cheesy animu look of the older Rondo designs. Kojima's stuff is nice and all, but good ol'loli-Maria was totally lovable, quite different from this random lollipop goth chick.

Will we get new artwork for SotN as well? I'd like to see a non squinted Alucard.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Pollyanna
2160th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 3 Feb 19:26post reply

Just finished Blue Dragon. It had 3 last boss battles and 3 last boss battle themes. Awesome. Awesome. Awesome.

Speaking of awesome, a lot of things in the game had this sort of cheesy rock&roll vibe, like the man-eating tree with glowing red eyes that flicks its tongue at you (my favorite character) and a dinosaur with piercings (including 3 on the tongue), a mecha arm and a laser eye. THAT'S heavy metal.

I was completely and totally satisfied with the game from beginning to end. Although the plot and characters don't "do" much, the experience is entirely enjoyable as a whole.

There is also a large amount of (extremely fun) extra stuff to do, including 4 dungeons, 2 towns and more optional bosses than I could count. I did...about 75% before I got to the "too much trouble, not enough time" stuff. Regardless it was two very fun days full of extras.

So yeah, great game...very "thoughtful", as in "considerate to the player". There's even a "nothing collector" that rewards you for NOT finding something in a pot/chest/rock/etc. Everything is there for a reason, even nothing.

I'm ranting about this because I praised the game before and often find myself disliking games by the end...however, that's not the case this time.

Time Mage
2511th Post

"Re(4):About Trio the Punch and VP" , posted Sat 10 Feb 06:12post reply

quote:

Wow, you were so totally right. A 5 seconds ending isn't the most impressive thing, exactly. Still, a great game, and that's what counts in the end.

It's pronounced "nucular". Nu-cu-lar hehehe.
-Homer Simpson
1956-

exodus
3777th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 10 Feb 06:19post reply

quote:
THAT'S heavy metal.

Just to say, that's hair metal. Heavy metal has nothing to do with it...let's not perpetuate the misnomer!

I'm reasonably sure I would be bored to tears by this game. Well not tears...bored to the extend of stopping and deciding to play something else.

But it was clearly made for persons who are not me, so!

Pollyanna
2164th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 10 Feb 11:24post reply

quote:

Just to say, that's hair metal. Heavy metal has nothing to do with it...let's not perpetuate the misnomer!

I'm reasonably sure I would be bored to tears by this game. Well not tears...bored to the extend of stopping and deciding to play something else.

But it was clearly made for persons who are not me, so!

Well, I doubt there are any hair metal guys with multiple tongue piercings, and "that's hair metal!" doesn't quite work as a phrase...but still...I guess it is more "hair metal", now that you mention it (even if there is no hair involved).

It's hard for me to say what your tastes are in anything, but I will say that I thought Blue Dragon was very much not for me, either. Excluding the soundtrack, everything about the game seemed to be exactly the opposite of what I look for in an RPG, or anything for that matter.

But I think...regardless of everything else about it's such a good game that it almost challenges you not to enjoy it. It brought back feelings I haven't had in years and reminded me why I got into RPGs in the first place.

On an unrelated note...

Now Playing:
Lost Planet

I'm not crazy about it. I love how wildly incoherent the plot is, and I like the visuals and control scheme, but there's so much shaking and exploding that I feel like I'm playing a shooting game while someone is shaking my shoulders and covering my eyes with their hands. I'm dying to play online, but I want to finish the game first.

also...

On Valkyrie Profile's Ending...

Well, the events leading UP TO the ending were good, at least. I think that's what made the very end so insulting. It was five seconds too long, if you ask me. I can't think of a worse ending, honestly. I'll have to put some thought into that...

HAYATO
756th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Wed 14 Feb 00:03post reply

quote:

On Valkyrie Profile's Ending...

Well, the events leading UP TO the ending were good, at least. I think that's what made the very end so insulting. It was five seconds too long, if you ask me. I can't think of a worse ending, honestly. I'll have to put some thought into that...

Well, try beating "VP: Silmeria"...

exodus
3781th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Wed 14 Feb 02:37post reply

quote:
It's hard for me to say what your tastes are in anything, but I will say that I thought Blue Dragon was very much not for me, either.

well, I've never finished a traditional RPG...the only RPGs I've finished are Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, (twice each) Onimusha Tactics, Summon Night, Riviera, and almost all the way through Black Matrix A/D, Shining Force II Sword of Hadja, Shining Force III Scenario I - those were all ruined by save corruptions. But none of those are traditional dungeon RPGs...PDS is the closest.

I've never played an FF for more than a few hours, couldn't bring myself to finish grandia, though I liked it sort of, and, well...you get the idea. I hate toriyama's art, too, so playing an ugly game which appears to have a very classic appeal is just probably not going to work out.

Spoon
1388th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Wed 14 Feb 10:19post reply

quote:
Onimusha Tactics,

Man, what?

quote:
Summon Night

How is this NOT a dungeon RPG?

Also, has anybody tried Lunar Knights yet? I haven't, but I've heard some good things and some not so good things... so I wonder if anybody else here has a more interesting opinion on it.

Pollyanna
2167th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Wed 14 Feb 14:37post reply

quote:

Summon Night

Huh? The only Summon Night I've played is 3, but it didn't have any dungeons. Am I confused, or are you confused?

EddyT
560th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Wed 14 Feb 16:02post reply

Anyone played Virtua Fighter 5 yet? I finally played it last weekend at a friend's house, and I was pretty impressed with the game so far. Graphics look nice, a lot of new moves added for some characters, but the backgrounds are still ring-based and boxed in. At the same time, it's harder to ring out anyone in this game.

Can't buy a PS3 yet, but I'm hoping to play the XBox 360 version when it comes out.

Also looking forward to Blue Dragon and Team Fortress 2 for XBox 360, and Dragon Quest IX for DS. Dracula X Chronicles may tempt me to own a PSP just for that game...

Recap
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(7):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Wed 14 Feb 20:47post reply

quote:

Summon Night

The main series is S-RPG with no dungeons (exploration) at all. It even doesn't have "town exploration"/direct sprite control scenes.

exodus
3782th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 15 Feb 03:18post reply

quote:
Onimusha Tactics,

Man, what?

Yeah, I was surprised too, but I like simple tactics RPGs. I think they made that just for me! Black Matrix A/D is really good too.

And indeed, as they say, Summon Night: Swordcraft Story is a Summon Night Gaiden, essentially. The main series is straight up townless tactics RPG.

Ishmael
2742th Post

"Re(9):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Thu 15 Feb 04:45post reply

quote:
Anyone played Virtua Fighter 5 yet? I finally played it last weekend at a friend's house, and I was pretty impressed with the game so far. Graphics look nice, a lot of new moves added for some characters, but the backgrounds are still ring-based and boxed in. At the same time, it's harder to ring out anyone in this game.

Outside of the new characters and obligatory mucking about with the moves list is there anything that is fundamentally different in the game engine for this sequel?

hikarutilmitt
365th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 16 Feb 15:19post reply

quote:

Outside of the new characters and obligatory mucking about with the moves list is there anything that is fundamentally different in the game engine for this sequel?

A new offensive movement like evasion except forward to the side than just for evading moves. Because of this there's now a side-hit system in place where damage is dealt differently and leads to more comboing opportunities.

They reworked the throwing system so that throws are a bit slower on the whole, but you can execute so-called "0 frame throws" in certain situations to give better defensive AND offensive options. You can also have clashing with a throw and certain moves at certain times instead of just the regular "attack beats throw" scenarios when they both would occur at the same hit frame.

There's something else mildly important as a general system change but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

Ishmael
2745th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 16 Feb 23:51post reply

quote:
A new offensive movement like evasion except forward to the side than just for evading moves. Because of this there's now a side-hit system in place where damage is dealt differently and leads to more comboing opportunities.

They reworked the throwing system so that throws are a bit slower on the whole, but you can execute so-called "0 frame throws" in certain situations to give better defensive AND offensive options. You can also have clashing with a throw and certain moves at certain times instead of just the regular "attack beats throw" scenarios when they both would occur at the same hit frame.

There's something else mildly important as a general system change but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head.

While those aren't flashy changes they do sound like they could be significant. I'm sure the people who analyze VF to a frightening degree are already debating the merits of these changes but from reading over your description it sounds to me like those would be improvements.

KTallguy
891th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 17 Feb 05:01post reply

VF5 looks similar on the surface, but a number of new systems that players are just starting to take advantage of, like 0 frame throw, offensive move, and side hits/crumples, are very new and change the gameplay a lot.

The game is a lot less difficult to get into for new players, as you can play more on feeling, and there's less of a need to "know the rules" so to speak. Also, it looks hot, and character customization is nice.

I highly recommend at least renting or trying the game out.

Play to win.

Kikkoken
1122th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 17 Feb 06:20post reply

Starfox Command (DS): Playing daily. I'm crazy about this game, I simply love it and can't believe I hesitated to buy it just because of a few so-so reviews. It took me a good hour to get used to the stylus control & the many factors to consider in solo missions, but now it's pure bliss.

Castlevania 3 (NES). The game I missed at the time. I'm just starting to play, but I must say the old school controls (slow-mo, platformer, small & stiff jumps) agrees with me much better than the controls in Metroidvanias.

Wario Smooth Moves (Wii: once a week with friends, hours of fun.

Squish (Game&Watch): on the pooh.

Looking forward to: Mario vs DK, Metroid 3, Virtua Fighter 5, KOF12, Prof. Layton, Castlevania PSP, etc.

Time Mage
2513th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 17 Feb 06:29post reply

I'm finally playing God Hand, and I love it. It's a pity the really bad backgrounds it has, and the sometimes treacherous camera, but the rest is great. I specially like the fact that it is quite difficult (specially if you happen to raise the level too much), but I don't get frustrated by repeating the same level several times. On the contrary, I enjoy playing them again. Of course, I want to progress, but I actually have fun retrying the levels.

It's pronounced "nucular". Nu-cu-lar hehehe.
-Homer Simpson
1956-

Pollyanna
2168th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 17 Feb 12:54post reply

quote:

While those aren't flashy changes they do sound like they could be significant. I'm sure the people who analyze VF to a frightening degree are already debating the merits of these changes but from reading over your description it sounds to me like those would be improvements.

It's been so long since I've played VF4 that I doubt I would even notice the difference. I was hoping for something wildly different (VF3 and VF4 are like totally different games), but really, I think I'll just be happy to play VF again.

I've heard the game isn't especially popular in arcades. Is it that there isn't much new, or that people aren't taking to the new very well? Maybe I heard wrong?

chazumaru
470th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 17 Feb 17:34post reply

quote:

I've heard the game isn't especially popular in arcades. Is it that there isn't much new, or that people aren't taking to the new very well? Maybe I heard wrong?

Game is expensive
+cabinets are rental only apparently
+cabinets are huge and HD only
+way less balanced and fine-tuned than VF4FT (hence the name of FT, you'll notice)
+VF4FT is still very popular
----------------------------
= Sega shot themselves in the foot.

On the other hand, the guys at Namco were apparently jealous of the intern that created Dragunov and Lili so they fired him and introduced two shitty characters; my best guess is a general conspiracy to kill the arcades once and for all.

IT'S THE BLACK PUDDING!

Pollyanna
2169th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 17 Feb 19:01post reply

quote:

my best guess is a general conspiracy to kill the arcades once and for all.

I was going to say that The Silent Hill arcade game is playing a big part in that conspiracy, but I think that's part of the conspiracy to kill Silent Hill once and for all.

Anyway, I'm hoping the later release of the 360 version of VF5 will allow it to have a few tweaks/extras, assuming Sega is working on something like that.

Also, right now, I'm playing nothing. I just ordered a bunch of games, but I'm getting slammed with work.

hikarutilmitt
367th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sun 18 Feb 15:47post reply

quote:
VF5 looks similar on the surface, but a number of new systems that players are just starting to take advantage of, like 0 frame throw, offensive move, and side hits/crumples, are very new and change the gameplay a lot.

The game is a lot less difficult to get into for new players, as you can play more on feeling, and there's less of a need to "know the rules" so to speak. Also, it looks hot, and character customization is nice.

I highly recommend at least renting or trying the game out.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. It also, apparently, from what I've read, rewards players for having dexterity more than the previous games did, which is a good thing IMO because even though I love VF you shouldn't have to read and memorize an encyclopedia to play a character well. :P

That's not to say that a person with great dexterity and general instinct can go into the game cold and beat a player with even moderate experience and lower dexterity, it just means that a person going in cold will have a slightly easier time getting into the game BECAUSE they can manage the controls and movement well from the start. I see this as nothing but good simply because it means anyone wanting to try VF when they regularly play Tekken, SC or even DoA (and plays those games fairly well or decent) might be more apt to stick with VF5.

exodus
3783th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Wed 21 Feb 04:02post reply

quote:

I think that's part of the conspiracy to kill Silent Hill once and for all.

I have one last hope, but it's a longshot...

Gojira
2108th Post

"Re(7):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Wed 21 Feb 19:26post reply

I hate to bring up Valkyrie Profile again, but it just occurred to me to ask about this since I have a PSP: did they improve the endings or leave them pretty much the same in the PSP version? And by "improve" I mean, did they change the content or just re-animate it in 3D like the attract CG?

samson
101th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(8):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 23 Feb 01:49post reply

I used to play mainly on my 360 (Gears and Test Drive Unlimited), but now I have Monster Hunter Portable 2, I guess I won't touch anything else untill a loooong time...

Catalyst
205th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 23 Feb 08:19post reply

I finally would like to update that I'm getting a chance at the University arcade in playing The house of the dead 4! Strangely despite how simple the game play is, it just makes me keep coming back for more zombie action fun.

Ishmael
2753th Post

"Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Fri 23 Feb 23:34post reply

quote:
I finally would like to update that I'm getting a chance at the University arcade in playing The house of the dead 4! Strangely despite how simple the game play is, it just makes me keep coming back for more zombie action fun.

Does the game still feature zombies with really good pitching arms? While there's no shortage of silliness in the HotD series I always got a particular kick out of those zombies who could throw objects with incredible force and accuracy in spite of being dead for a long time.

In other news, The Magic Box -the site that doesn't care what you think about it- has info and shots up of both Shijou Saikyou no Deshi: Kenichi and Musou Orichi. While I know neither of those games are going to set the world on fire I still find myself looking forward to them.

Catalyst
206th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Re(10):Re(10):Re(10):Banzai!!!" , posted Sat 24 Feb 01:05post reply

quote:

Does the game still feature zombies with really good pitching arms? While there's no shortage of silliness in the HotD series I always got a particular kick out of those zombies who could throw objects with incredible force and accuracy in spite of being dead for a long time.

Actually yes it does! Level 2 had me hearing double dragon music with one fat zombie, and ironically bald at the same time looking like abobo from double dragon with his shirt off throwing a oildrum at me. One other feller threw an ice block at me around level 4 and the axe throwing maniac is back in there too from the rest of the series.

Personally I didn't know this game was out since 2005 but it looks really really nice. I wish I could try out House of the dead 4 special where your in a booth and shooting everything. I'll probably go check Dave and Busters if they have that.

Tracking Treasure Down - Gabriel and Dresden