Questions about SS Tenka - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2108 Views )

Just a Person
840th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Sun 14 Jan 22:42post reply

Sorry for bringing up a discussion about this game again (I didnīt find the older one)...

Well, just recently I found out this game exists, and it looks like very interesting! After all, everyone from the 2D series is back (even some old favorites of mine, like Nicotine and Cham Cham), an enhanced system...

Now, if anyone can answer this, Iīd be really grateful:

1) Is Tenka another dream match, or does it have a storyline?

2) If it has a storyline, when exactly does it happen in the SS main storyline? (so far, I know the order: SSV/Zero - SS - SS3 - SS4 - SS2 - SS64 - SS64-2 - SS:WR; where does Tenka fit into this order?)

3) There are six or eight systems (like the CvS2 "Grooves"), right? What are the differences among them?

Thanks for the attention!

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Replies:

simonbelmont
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Mon 15 Jan 18:33post reply

quote:
Sorry for bringing up a discussion about this game again (I didnīt find the older one)...

Well, just recently I found out this game exists, and it looks like very interesting! After all, everyone from the 2D series is back (even some old favorites of mine, like Nicotine and Cham Cham), an enhanced system...

Now, if anyone can answer this, Iīd be really grateful:

1) Is Tenka another dream match, or does it have a storyline?

2) If it has a storyline, when exactly does it happen in the SS main storyline? (so far, I know the order: SSV/Zero - SS - SS3 - SS4 - SS2 - SS64 - SS64-2 - SS:WR; where does Tenka fit into this order?)

3) There are six or eight systems (like the CvS2 "Grooves"), right? What are the differences among them?

Thanks for the attention!

It's a dream match. No blood either. President Andrew Jackson is a playable character.

Pollyanna
2143th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Mon 15 Jan 19:44:post reply

I'm sure Iggy can answer this best, and I haven't played the game in a while, but...

I believe it's a Dream Match -and- has a story. That is to say, it has endings. I gave up on "following" the plot after 4 and I don't know much about the 64 games, so I can't tell you "when" it happens (though I don't think it really happens at all in terms of the timeline).

There's a "groove/spirit" for each game from SS1 to SS5 then a "new spirit" for Tenka. The PS2 version has 3 extra spirits, I think. A "boss" one, one where you can't block but do more damage, and a 3rd I know nothing about.

The individual game spirits do a good enough job of recreating the original. It would take a tremendous amount of effort for me to outline each system, so you can just pretend, for practical purposes that they emulate the originals well enough (for example, you can't do supers in SS1 and you can do the SD "doll" moves in SS2).

The Tenka spirit, if I remember, has the gauge fill by doing damage, has a generic motion super (I don't remember if it takes your gauge or not) and then another special move that you can only do when your life is low. You have few dodging options and some kind of perfect guard that takes part of your gauge.

I think it's a decent game if you're hungry for SS, but it didn't hold my interest for long. If I had lots of people to play against, it might be a different story. Oh, and the loading is irritating, but not unbearable.

Edited for improved clarity.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Mon 15 Jan 21:42]

Just a Person
842th Post

"Re(2):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Mon 15 Jan 21:51post reply

quote:
I'm sure Iggy can answer this best, and I haven't played the game in a while, but...

I believe it's a Dream Match -and- has a story. That is to say, it has endings. I gave up on "following" the plot after 4 and I don't know much about the 64 games, so I can't tell you "when" it happens (though I don't think it really happens at all in terms of the timeline).

There's a "groove/spirit" for each game from SS1 to SS5 then a "new spirit" for Tenka. The PS2 version has 3 extra spirits, I think. A "boss" one, one where you can't block but do more damage, and a 3rd I know nothing about.

The individual game spirits do a good enough job of recreating the original. It would take a tremendous amount of effort for me to outline each system, so you can just pretend, for practical purposes that they emulate the originals well enough (for example, you can't do supers in SS1 and you can do the SD "doll" moves in SS2).

The Tenka spirit, if I remember, has the gauge fill by doing damage, has a generic motion super (I don't remember if it takes your gauge or not) and then another special move that you can only do when your life is low. You have few dodging options and some kind of perfect guard that takes part of your gauge.

I think it's a decent game if you're hungry for SS, but it didn't hold my interest for long. If I had lots of people to play against, it might be a different story. Oh, and the loading is irritating, but not unbearable.

Edited for improved clarity.

First of all, thank both of you for the answers!
How can SST be a dream match and still have a story? That's interesting... Maybe SNK uses this to explain what happened to each character, even if the story of Tenka doesn't exist at all?

And Polly, by your description, Tenka does seem to be a wonderful game with lots of people to play with! The groove system is very interesting, from what you said (doll moves, back?? Wow...).

Oh, and this may sound weird, but I don't care about blood in it. It's the combination "characters + story + music" that keeps me interested about the SS series.

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Ikari Loona
167th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Tue 16 Jan 02:24post reply

quote:
How can SST be a dream match and still have a story? That's interesting... Maybe SNK uses this to explain what happened to each character, even if the story of Tenka doesn't exist at all?

I guess they handled it not unlike the NGBC plots - toss in fairly generic purposes for each of the characters based on their previous appearances, with nothing of truly major consequence happening in their endings, I guess; or you can see it like a KoF98, if you will, where characters still interact in ways true to them.

BTW, any tips to handle that possessed Gaoh boss, like a preferred groove or general tactics?

The best I've managed against him in my brief experience with the game was Nakoruru's QCF + hard slash, since when it hits it also puts some distance between her and him.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

hikarutilmitt
358th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Tue 16 Jan 07:01post reply

quote:
BTW, any tips to handle that possessed Gaoh boss, like a preferred groove or general tactics?

The best I've managed against him in my brief experience with the game was Nakoruru's QCF + hard slash, since when it hits it also puts some distance between her and him.

Jump against the back wall and hit him with a jumping hard slash. I'm not joking. This works especially well for Mina because her hard slash in the air also propels her further into the air and stuns him just long enough to jump again to avoid his attacks. It's brain-dead simple to the point where you can get a perfect on him easily.

Pollyanna
2144th Post

"Re(5):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Tue 16 Jan 08:36post reply

quote:

Jump against the back wall and hit him with a jumping hard slash.

This has been the best way to win SS games since SS3. Another reason why I can't recommend Tenka to someone playing alone.

On another note, speaking of music...I like the soundtrack quite a bit, though it's nonstandard for SS games. There's more variety and quite a few odd tracks.

Did SNK ever release the arranged version of the SS3 soundtrack that was used on the PS version? That's one of my all time favorite game soundtracks. The ending theme is so...epic and beautiful.

NARUTO
3519th Post

"Re(6):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Tue 16 Jan 17:51post reply

Well, IIRC the 3 Ps2 spirit that polly was talking about are the Ma spirit (Ma=evil) which is the boss spirit. in this version the last boss is Magaoh an evil version of Gaoh, in a Shin akuma style.

The 2nd one is the animal spirit, which comes with the animal characters like Galford's poppy or Mina's Champuru.

And the last one I'm not sure but I think it's a spirit edit, in which you can mix all spirit effects to create you own spirit (CVS2 style).

As for the endings thinks SVC chaos...Dream match with "nothing special endings".

Fortes fortuna juvat...

hikarutilmitt
359th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(6):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Wed 17 Jan 04:06post reply

quote:

Jump against the back wall and hit him with a jumping hard slash.

This has been the best way to win SS games since SS3. Another reason why I can't recommend Tenka to someone playing alone.

Ouch, I never realized that because I used to take SNK bosses seriously despite their difficulty until I realized Krizalid and the like were just not beatable by any normal methods. Yay pattern bosses. -_-

kofoguz
503th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Thu 18 Jan 00:10post reply

I dont wanna summon the evil arguement but how come abster is absent in the thread about SSTenka?

Abster
310th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(8):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Thu 18 Jan 01:56post reply

quote:
I dont wanna summon the evil arguement but how come abster is absent in the thread about SSTenka?

That's because I wrapped up my rants about the game being bloodless ages ago. SNKP marketing the game towards prepubescent audiences wasn't the only thing wrong with Tenka. (Voices the biggest issue and the fairly unbalanced cast) I can answer questions about the game however.

1. The answer is really both. Tenka takes place during a worldwide gozen jiai, which is some kinda tournament. The game is a dreammatch but it also has its own storyline.

2. Being a dreammatch Tenka doesn't fit anywhere in the SS timeline.

3. There are actually 9 grooves, the aforementioned SS1-5 spirits, the new Guilty Gear stylish one, and then PS2 exclusives...

Boss: Used by MaGaoh the boss character aforementioned. Has rolling, a gauge that fills by BOTH taking damage and dealing it. Super can only be attempted once when full, but it destroys character's weapon if it hits. It MIGHT also have the Chibi Doll transformation.

Animal: Used by all the unlockable animal characters. Allows for GG like chain combos, (usually ending with down + hard slash) ken mode's dodging, (except it doesn't contribute to any gauge like the ken spirit does) and lack of blocking. Gauge is filled by being hit, and super knocks weapon from opponent's hand.

Matsuri: Custom groove. Can eventually unlock infinite points so you can create the groove as you'd like. You can put in some exclusive features like being able to move before a round starts (ala SS3)

Just a Person
846th Post

"Re(9):Questions about SS Tenka" , posted Tue 30 Jan 01:40post reply

quote:
1. The answer is really both. Tenka takes place during a worldwide gozen jiai, which is some kinda tournament. The game is a dreammatch but it also has its own storyline.

2. Being a dreammatch Tenka doesn't fit anywhere in the SS timeline.

But... if Tenka is just a dream-match, does it mean that Andrew, Iroha, Ochamaru and Sugoroku don't exist in the "real" SS storyline??

Wow, that's a waste of four kinda interesting characters... that's sad... But maybe SNK can put them into future canon SS games, couldn't it? I hope so...