Shadow Hearts, Abyss - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1941 Views )

Maou
975th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Fri 5 Jan 09:35post reply

And now for the exact reverse of Ishmael's thread, I'm going to ask about the best of a few old games I've been meaning to play. Having beat FFXII in record time after I bought it---a mere nine months later---I'm trying to finish two other games I bought ages ago, Tales of the Abyss and Shadow Hearts 1.

I've asked about Abyss here and everyone always says great things, so I'd be interested if anyone feels that way about Shadow Hearts. It does have fun character designs and a creepy vibe, even if it's kinda ugly and the battle music is intolerable. It does seem a bit like I imagine Megami Tensei to be, and now that I've finally decided to get SMT III one day, I wonder if I'll miss out if I don't go through SH. Any thoughts?

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Replies:

Gojira
2093th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Fri 5 Jan 13:11post reply

Booo you had me thinking a new SH was coming out.

I loved SH1, but I don't know what that means. I'm a bit hesitant to recommend SH1 because part of that enjoyment came from not expecting too much out of it. From appearances I thought I'd just be playing it a little bit and tossing it aside, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down. You're doing right now what I thought about doing at first, and that is asking if it's worth it. So I don't know if telling you how wonderful it is will really work. Maybe if I didn't fail psych in school I'd know what to do!

Pollyanna
2136th Post

"Re(2):Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Fri 5 Jan 15:04post reply

I guess my opinion is invalid, because I recall the battle music being my favorite part of Shadow Hearts.

If you've had your fun with the game, but you don't feel especially inclined to finish it, then don't. I wouldn't say it's a bad game, but if you aren't totally pumped about it, then you'd probably be better off investing your time in something else.

I mean, I'm not sure what you're looking for. Have you played the game much? It's not like it gets really amazingly good later on. If you're not into it, I say put it away and come back later if and when you don't have anything better to play.

Iggy
8053th Post

"Re(1):Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Fri 5 Jan 19:10post reply

If you have SMT3, go right to it.

If you have Shadow Heart 2 (I played the director's cut, not sure what it added), play SH1 to have the full experience, which is somewhat entertaining.

If you have really bad taste, play Tales of whatever.

Maou
977th Post

"Re(2):Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Sat 6 Jan 06:05:post reply

Thanks everyone!

Well, after 5 hours I just got to Shanghai in SH for the first time, and this strange, ugly little game keeps making me play it, even though Shanghai is the first thing that has been good since the opening sequence on the train with Bacon. I've only played it for two sessions, both starting around 11 at night on the last two nights because I was free. Since it doesn't sound like anyone's crazy about it, I might drop it unless it's particularly short. I guess I'd been waiting for the exciting concept of a scenario (WWI era RPG with demons) to actually become an exciting scenario. If it does starting in Shanghai, maybe I should keep at it?

Meanwhile, Abyss is admittedly the first Tales game since Phantasia that seems in good taste from the start=doesn't sound insipid, so I'm kind of stoked.

edit: Polly, for the battle music, I think I heard there is a better battle theme used in the second half of the game, maybe it helped you forget the first, which is a maddening mix of instruments overlaid with a drunken voice that mostly seems to go "oooooooo-ooooooooo" throughout the piece. Makes the Chrono Cross fights sound peaceful by comparison.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 6 Jan 06:06]

Mokona
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Sat 6 Jan 06:25post reply

quote:
edit: Polly, for the battle music, I think I heard there is a better battle theme used in the second half of the game, maybe it helped you forget the first, which is a maddening mix of instruments overlaid with a drunken voice that mostly seems to go "oooooooo-ooooooooo" throughout the piece. Makes the Chrono Cross fights sound peaceful by comparison.

That sounds exactly like Shadow Hearts combat music... even in the other 2 games. I'm not really annoyed by it.

I personally liked SH too. I haven't played New World yet (the wife got dibs on that one... she's a fan of SH too so I got her the game) but it looked very similar to Covenant (even the music is the same...)
I also liked how Covenant was a follow-up to Shadow Heart, and I really enjoyed Covenant's ending.

Blah!

Pollyanna
2137th Post

"Re(3):Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Sat 6 Jan 06:37post reply

quote:
I guess I'd been waiting for the exciting concept of a scenario (WWI era RPG with demons) to actually become an exciting scenario. If it does starting in Shanghai, maybe I should keep at it?

I found the biggest disappointment in the game to be that it somehow ends up being quite typical despite its amazing setup. SH3 is the same way, with amazing ideas blandly executed. I guess SH2 is the best in the series overall.

I mean, I played all 3 and I don't regret it, but that's not really saying much as far as recommendations go.

Hagen de Merak
933th Post

"Re(4):Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Mon 8 Jan 06:06post reply

quote:
I guess I'd been waiting for the exciting concept of a scenario (WWI era RPG with demons) to actually become an exciting scenario. If it does starting in Shanghai, maybe I should keep at it?

I found the biggest disappointment in the game to be that it somehow ends up being quite typical despite its amazing setup. SH3 is the same way, with amazing ideas blandly executed. I guess SH2 is the best in the series overall.

I mean, I played all 3 and I don't regret it, but that's not really saying much as far as recommendations go.

bah forget it, too easy...

Korigama
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Shadow Hearts, Abyss" , posted Thu 11 Jan 07:57post reply

Finished my first run through Tales of the Abyss recently, didn't disappoint (planning on doing a second run for everything that's available after beating the game, in addition to whatever I missed the first time). The first Shadow Hearts was great, and I'd say Covenant was even better. Can't vouch for From the New World, though (I plan on at least renting it eventually, but I'd be lying if I said I'm looking forward to playing it).