Rareware dead?? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2162 Views )

NARUTO
3516th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Rareware dead??" , posted Thu 4 Jan 20:05post reply

The brothers Chris & Tim Stamper co-creator of the rareware comapny are leaving... They said they want to cath others oportunity. Microsoft said that this event have nothing to do at all with the poor succes of "Viva pinata" ....still it's hard to belive them...

So now it'll be Mark Bryant & Gregg Mayles, Lead Designer who will take the commands.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Replies:

exodus
3703th Post

"Re(1):Rareware dead??" , posted Fri 5 Jan 02:21post reply

no, unfortunately I think they're not dead. They'll continue to make mediocre games until microsofts decides to let the corpse rot.

P.S. I never liked them to begin with.

Baines
179th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Rareware dead??" , posted Fri 5 Jan 11:35post reply

Rare was relatively dead even before Microsoft bought them.

Star Fox Adventures was a poorly designed 3D adventure game. Kameo probably wouldn't have been any better on the Gamecube than the Xbox360.

Maybe Rare could have used a Nintendo franchise name to get more sales out of some other mediocre game. That would have kept them slightly popular.

Admittedly, who knows what Perfect Dark Zero would have been. Maybe it would have stayed an anime art third-person game. Or maybe it would have just been delayed into oblivion, as it didn't look like Rare ever intended to release it for Nintendo in the first place.

HAYATO
736th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Rareware dead??" , posted Fri 5 Jan 17:27post reply

quote:
no, unfortunately I think they're not dead. They'll continue to make mediocre games until microsofts decides to let the corpse rot.

Best description ever.

Just a Person
835th Post

"Re(2):Rareware dead??" , posted Fri 5 Jan 20:38post reply

quote:

P.S. I never liked them to begin with.

They had some nice games, though. Like the Donkey Kong Country trilogy (DK64 wasn't as fun as this trilogy to me, but the multiplayer battles were really fun), or Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct 2/Gold.

Actually, does anyone know why has Rareware never released a Killer Instinct 3 game for the Xbox or Xbox 360?? After all, Nintendo doesn't own the rights for this license...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

exodus
3705th Post

"Re(3):Rareware dead??" , posted Sat 6 Jan 03:06post reply

quote:

Actually, does anyone know why has Rareware never released a Killer Instinct 3 game for the Xbox or Xbox 360?? After all, Nintendo doesn't own the rights for this license...

Isn't it a shared IP? I think it said Nintendo even in the arcades? Nintendo does not let go of things like that, they have iron contracts. I don't think we'll see KI again...

Ishmael
2706th Post

"Re(4):Rareware dead??" , posted Sat 6 Jan 04:31post reply

quote:
Isn't it a shared IP? I think it said Nintendo even in the arcades? Nintendo does not let go of things like that, they have iron contracts. I don't think we'll see KI again...

If it was a shared IP then there is a better chance of seeing Weaponlord come back than there is of KI. Too bad. Then again, if I had a vote on what oddball fighter should come back I think I would actually prefer a Weaponlord revival.

exodus
3707th Post

"Re(5):Rareware dead??" , posted Sat 6 Jan 04:59post reply

quote:
Then again, if I had a vote on what oddball fighter should come back I think I would actually prefer a Weaponlord revival.

I choose Asuka 120%

NARUTO
3517th Post

"Re(4):Rareware dead??" , posted Sun 7 Jan 21:05post reply

quote:

Yup shared IP, and IIRC nintendo even have the biggest part... There were some rumors about Big N wanted to sell it to Capcom before Rare flies... But Capcom wans't interested or so...

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Just a Person
838th Post

"Re(5):Rareware dead??" , posted Mon 8 Jan 05:25post reply

quote:
Yup shared IP, and IIRC nintendo even have the biggest part... There were some rumors about Big N wanted to sell it to Capcom before Rare flies... But Capcom wans't interested or so...

Capcom owning Killer Instinct... how bizarre would that be?? (*imagining Orchid or Jago in the Marvel vs. Capcom series... o_0*)

Midway would be a better choice, maybe.

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Baines
180th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Rareware dead??" , posted Mon 8 Jan 11:10post reply

quote:
If it was a shared IP then there is a better chance of seeing Weaponlord come back than there is of KI. Too bad. Then again, if I had a vote on what oddball fighter should come back I think I would actually prefer a Weaponlord revival.

Wasn't there word one of the guys behind Weaponlord was trying to get it on Xbox Live or something?

KTallguy
887th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Rareware dead??" , posted Mon 8 Jan 16:48post reply

Wow, and Microsoft paid through the nose for Rare.

I actually enjoyed KI back in the day too! (I'd probably hate it now).

Play to win.

Time Mage
2498th Post

"Re(2):Rareware dead??" , posted Mon 8 Jan 20:57post reply

quote:
I actually enjoyed KI back in the day too! (I'd probably hate it now).

Me too, I loved the SNES one. And, yes, you'd probably hate it if you played now. A year ago I plugged again my SNES, and when I put KI, I thought I was playing another game. Better keep the good memories.

I'm the leading man. You know what they say abut the leading man? He NEVER dies.

kikkoken
1121th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(3):Rareware dead??" , posted Mon 8 Jan 21:24post reply

C-C-C-C-C-Combo Breaker!

Maou
978th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Rareware dead??" , posted Tue 9 Jan 08:03post reply

quote: