2006 in review - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3436 Views )

Ishmael
2705th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"2006 in review" , posted Thu 4 Jan 04:54post reply

The change of the calendar year is often a time of reflection. So what did everyone think of the games that came out this year? Any highlights? Anything that could have been done better?

For me, the game of the year was Godhand. I thought it might be a nice novelty title but it turned out to be built on a surprisingly solid and fair game engine. With no real wrong way to play the game Godhand rewards constant experimentation and replay.

The release of the latest generation of consoles is the most puzzling thing I saw in 2006. Are any launch titles worth waiting in line for days to be able to play?

This is unrelated to games but I would be remiss if I didn't mention that The Sister Street Fighter Collection is my favorite DVD release of 2006. Etsuko Shihomi beating the holy hell out of evil doers everywhere is what international cinema is all about.

Replies:

dai jou bu
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):2006 in review" , posted Thu 4 Jan 12:35post reply

Shoot the Bullet (well, it was released to the public in late February after Comiket 69) and Senko no Ronde Rev. X were the highlights in 2006 for me. I'd also say Under Defeat if I played it more. Shoot the Bullet throws traditional convention out the window in favor of an experimental game mechanic that works very well. It almost feels like a Treasure game, but it's less lenient on allowing you to continue after messing up since you have to have to one-life every boss. Senko no Ronde is what Virtual On would've been like if they changed a few things so it instead felt like a shmup, which on concept alone I give merit to since I haven't really seen any other game quite like it. The amount of style that oozes from the game doesn't hurt either. The only real beef I have with this game is that I'm unable to increase my online ranking because almost nobody in the US is able to play this game and I keep getting disconnected within five seconds after a match begins against a Japanese player.

exodus
3704th Post

"Re(1):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 03:00post reply

I think this year kind of sucked for games. There's certainly nothing I can say was game of the year...

Some games I liked a fair amount were:
Dragon Quest - Rocket Slime Adventures. This is a kids game done right, with some respect for young peoples' intelligence.

FFIII - pretty fun, as final fantasy games go.

Senko no Ronde - well, it's good enough. Too bad it probably won't see a stateside release. I said it might before, but, well...it's less likely now.

I dunno, I think my game of 2006 was still RE4. Frankly I think it's the game of the last three years.

Note: I didn't play okami, FFXII, Yakuza or any of those.

Digitalboy
386th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 08:23post reply

Oh good I am glad it ain't just me that noticed this.
quote:
I think this year kind of sucked for games. There's certainly nothing I can say was game of the year...
Oh good it ain't just me that hasn't played any of these.
quote:

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Pollyanna
2134th Post

"Re(3):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 13:34post reply

What came out this year? I can't remember. I get messed up because I usually play the Japanese version of games, then people start talking about the US version, and I forget what came out when.

Well, anyway God Hand is my game of the year as well. I like everything about it. Well, not everything...the backgrounds are still pretty poor, but I don't really care. The total package is fantastic. It's one of my favorite games ever.

If I played it online, I'm sure Monster Hunter 2 would be my favorite, but seeing as I've only played offline, God Hand gets a lucky victory.

PS2's KOFXI is both excellent as a fighting game and a port, so that's a close second.

I don't recall any exceptional RPGs last year, though I haven't gotten to play Blue Dragon yet. I'm immensely enjoying Tales of Destiny, and seeing as ToA was 05, I may have to grudgingly call it "The RPG of the year".

Three cheers for Konami for reviving the PS2 line of GuitarFreaks/DrumMania titles. 3 excellent releases only flawed by their irritating unlocking systems (which thankfully, V2 fixes).

I was disappointed in a number of games. Dead Rising was partially fun, but mostly frustrating. FFXII was good, but it was just short of being outstanding. It could have been my favorite, but now, I barely want to think about it. Raidou was a decent game, but I still expect better from Megaten.

Not happy with the launch of either new system, though I'm delighted to look back at Sony's history of failures (there was a new one, like every week). Like most people, I'm interested in the Wii's potential, but like the DS I think it'll take some time to turn into something really worthwhile.

That leaves Okami which walks the line between excellent and disappointing for me. I bought the artbook, and I think I've enjoyed it more than the game, which was beautiful in many ways, but totally put me to sleep.

Evenor
520th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 14:40post reply

quote:
I'm immensely enjoying Tales of Destiny

Explain why you have chosen to switch sides.

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

Pollyanna
2135th Post

"Re(5):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 14:59post reply

quote:
I'm immensely enjoying Tales of Destiny

Explain why you have chosen to switch sides.

You mean, like...in reference to the original (which is my least favorite in the series), right?

The battle system is dramatically improved. Not ToR good, but roughly on par with ToA. The combo system is really open-ended...and while some options aren't nearly as effective as others, you'll probably have fun just messing around. Also, as usual, you can switch to hard mode whenever you like, which I think should be a legal requirement for boss fights. You're missing out on too much fun, otherwise.

Also, the color scheme isn't ugly anymore, and the towns are all well-designed and fun to run around, rather unecessarily large wastes of time with a sverely limited tileset. Also, you can find items looking around, rather than treasure chests you can never open.

The sprites look good, instead of lumpy, and while the plot is still pretty poor, they reworked a lot of the scenes to make it flow better at least.

Also, the skits are enjoyable, even if there are a few too many. I'm saying this in contrast to Tales of Rebirth where the characters don't have anything good to say.

So, yeah...they fixed most of what was wrong with the original, and while I'd rather have an exceptional new game rather than an exceptional remake of a mediocre game, I've still been pleasantly surprised.

Spoon
1385th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 15:49post reply

quote:

I can't agree with this statement because of:

quote:

Dragon Quest - Rocket Slime Adventures.

This is my favourite game of the year.
I only wish it were more challenging, but then it might overstep the bounds of being a kids' game. I haven't loved Dragon Quest so much since the first one I played on the NES. In fact, it makes me want to play DQ8. Unfortunately, I'll be doing so knowing that DQ8 is a vastly inferior game.

God Hand is also pretty damn good.

Optional whining about FFXII:
I couldn't stand playing FFXII. There's nothing wrong with how it looks or the idea of putting combat directly into the world and streamlined... the problem is, it's streamlining something that doesn't seem fun to begin with, and the result is that the combat feels like even more of a mere delay in your adventuring.
That writing in the English version is excellent and the voices excellent makes it seem all the more like a story I'd like to go through if only the game weren't in the way.

HAYATO
735th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"FF XII in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 17:19post reply

quote:

Optional whining about FFXII:
I couldn't stand playing FFXII. There's nothing wrong with how it looks or the idea of putting combat directly into the world and streamlined... the problem is, it's streamlining something that doesn't seem fun to begin with, and the result is that the combat feels like even more of a mere delay in your adventuring.
That writing in the English version is excellent and the voices excellent makes it seem all the more like a story I'd like to go through if only the game weren't in the way.

Well, I don't think FFXII is such a bad game. It sure sucks during the first couple of hours or so, but once you get some members for your party the combat issue improves greatly.

The license system is a bit annoying but not as hard to comprehend as I had been told. And the plot, albeit simple and clicheish, is quite entertaining (nothing can be worse than VP:Silmeria's botched attempt of a storyline).

I should add as well, that this is the first FF I have ever managed to endure/ get involved into, so this is a matter to consider...

Just a Person
836th Post

"Re(2):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 20:42post reply

quote:

Some games I liked a fair amount were:
Dragon Quest - Rocket Slime Adventures. This is a kids game done right, with some respect for young peoples' intelligence.

FFIII - pretty fun, as final fantasy games go.

Senko no Ronde - well, it's good enough. Too bad it probably won't see a stateside release. I said it might before, but, well...it's less likely now.

I dunno, I think my game of 2006 was still RE4. Frankly I think it's the game of the last three years.

Wasn't The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess released in 2006?? I guess it deserves some mentioning in this review, doesn't it?

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Time Mage
2496th Post

"Re(3):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 21:09post reply

quote:
Wasn't The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess released in 2006?? I guess it deserves some mentioning in this review, doesn't it?

Okay, I'll mention it, then: While a good game, I'm finding the very same mistakes Ocarina and Wind waker had (that is, it's VERY, VERY easy), plus some new ones. I'm enjoying it, but it feels like an OoT remake. I'd like to finish it to make a final veredict, but so far it is a bit disappointing at moments (but really fun, nonetheless).

My game of the year: Final Fantasy XII. Yes, it has flaws, but I think that all its good points overcome by far the (several, but minor) negative aspcts. The inmense world, the great designs, the well thought and new battle system, the dialogues, the fact that the optional stuff is spread through the entire game, instead of being all at the very end (I'm referring to the Clan Hunts), the music, etc. So many hours of pure enjoyment for me.

Oh, Wii Sports gets an honorable mention for being way, way better than I though, and a really fun multiplayer experience.

I'm the leading man. You know what they say abut the leading man? He NEVER dies.

Gojira
2094th Post

"Re(1):FF XII in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 22:00post reply

My biggest turnaround in 2006 is actually looking forward to 360 games. At first I thought buying the system was a huge mistake, but Dead Rising was great (even if the text is WAY too small for my eyesight), and after watching the Last Oddysey teaser I was suprised to find myself getting goosebumps. And like Polly, I too am in love with Blue Dragon's soundtrack before I can even play the game. I'm even kind of looking forward to Tenchu: Senran although I can tell from the demo it probably won't be as good as Kurenai. So oddly enough I'm enjoying my 360.

God Hand game of the year? I liked it, but I didn't LOVE it. I love that it's incoherent enough to have been written by a brilliant 9-year-old, but unfortunately I have to say the game itself could have been better.

My game of the year, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's VP Silmeria. Better than VP Lenneth? Hell no. Best game I've played this year? Hell yes. Second was Suikoden V, despite the slow start and awful graphics.

And since there's FFXII talk going on I suppose I have to say something about it. 2006 marks the first time I've ever failed to get engrossed with a FF game. After renting it I couldn't even bring myself past Vaan's city, like 2-3 hours, then I just let it sit and eventually took it back. I'm sad to say I have so many complaints I can't even organize and summarize them.

Recap
47th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(1):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 22:01post reply

Gunstar Heroes ~Treasure Box~, of course. Games of the 90's for the worst year ever.

HAYATO
737th Post

"Re(2):FF XII in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 22:34post reply

quote:

My game of the year, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but it's VP Silmeria. Better than VP Lenneth? Hell no. Best game I've played this year? Hell yes.

I second everything you just said about VP:S. It is, perhaps, my favourite game of this year, but Okami sure follows it very closely, if not surpasses it in some aspects.

VP:S has a great gameplay (ruined a bit due to excessive grinding in chapter 3), but I found the plot extremely dissapointing, all that prequel/sequel stuff just messed it up unnecesarily, and there are massive plotholes I just can't bear with (what a coincidence, everybody hides something!!!).

I once heard some dialogues and situations in VP were going to be rewritten for VP:L in order to improve the continuity between both games. After VP:S, I sincerely hope they leave the original VP untouched when ported to PSP, otherwise they would have to remake the whole thing...

Iggy
8054th Post

"Re(3):2006 in review" , posted Fri 5 Jan 23:55post reply

quote:

Because it's pathetic.

So, yeah, Okami. And FFXII and Ryû ga gotoku 2, maybe.

Not a very good year.

GotY2007 ? Touch of Tanoshimu Hyakunin Ishhu DS Shigureden, of course.

exodus
3706th Post

"Re(4):2006 in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 03:14post reply

It's been surprising how many people have agreed with me about Rocket Slime being one of the best games of the year.

But there you go!

quote:
I get messed up because I usually play the Japanese version of games, then people start talking about the US version, and I forget what came out when.

Elitist Elitist Elitist <3

quote:
Touch of Tanoshimu Hyakunin Ishhu DS Shigureden

!!! things I don't understand are better than things I do!

simonbelmont
115th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):FF XII in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 05:23post reply

quote:

And since there's FFXII talk going on I suppose I have to say something about it. 2006 marks the first time I've ever failed to get engrossed with a FF game. After renting it I couldn't even bring myself past Vaan's city, like 2-3 hours, then I just let it sit and eventually took it back. I'm sad to say I have so many complaints I can't even organize and summarize them.

Agreed! But here’s a start. The plot of FFXII seems to be directly lifted from Star Wars. Yet unlike Star Wars hardly any of the characters seemed memorable or even likeable. I expected a little more originality than that. After beating it I was left with the thought, "Gee I really hated FFVIII but after finishing FFXII maybe VIII wasn't so bad after all..." FFXII was a horrible disappointment for me overall. Hell, now that I think about it I had a lot more fun with Chrono Cross than I have with any of the later FF games.

My favorites for the year:
Rocket Slime
Okami
Castlevania: POR

Catalyst
188th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):2006 in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 05:49post reply

Personally I wish I had money for more games but for this years 2006 I have to say my games of the year have to be Metal Gear Portable OPS for psp and Yakuza. Hopefully if I get more money soon I don't want to skimp on the chance of missing getting Devil Summoner Raidou and God Hand.

I do have to agree with Iggy though, this year was kind of not so good. It had its games though.

Iggy
8055th Post

"Re(3):FF XII in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 06:38post reply

I love getting credit for something someone else (but less fashionable) said before me.
quote:
The plot of FFXII seems to be directly lifted from Star Wars. Yet unlike Star Wars hardly any of the characters seemed memorable or even likeable.

To each his own.
I find the characterization in Star Wars laughable, and I liked half of FFXII's characters.

exodus
3709th Post

"Re(4):FF XII in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 07:08post reply

quote:
I love getting credit for something someone else (but less fashionable) said before me.

the fashion war of 2007 has only just begun! I have new wardrobe elements that I haven't even unveiled in public!

TiamatRoar
764th Post

"Re(5):2006 in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 08:08:post reply

Rocket Slime should have had Wi-Fi. So much lost potential considering how good the game is.

[this message was edited by TiamatRoar on Sat 6 Jan 08:09]

HAYATO
738th Post

"Re(4):FF XII in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 08:21post reply

quote:

The plot of FFXII seems to be directly lifted from Star Wars. Yet unlike Star Wars hardly any of the characters seemed memorable or even likeable.

LOL, that's true : Star Wars' influence in the visuals of FFXII are notorial, but I think this time Squenix improved the original thing. The "Han Solo- Balthier" change may be arguable to some, but the "Chewie-Fran" one is clearly for the better, not to mention the princess' improvement... If only Lucas had done the same changes some decades ago, Star Wars geeks would be healthier people by now...

Catalyst
189th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):FF XII in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 12:15post reply

quote:

My response to this is... oh lawd hot wings. How fashionable is that~!

Pollyanna
2138th Post

"Re(5):2006 in review" , posted Sat 6 Jan 21:16post reply

quote:

Elitist Elitist Elitist <3

You're the elitist! You think you're too good to even PLAY games! I deal with some aspect of the localization process every day at work. I'm just trying to get away from that! That, and I'm extremely impatient. And rich! Of course, rich.

Speaking of how rich I am, I sent my butler out to a bunch of places looking for a good deal on a home theater system and I...I mean, he found PS3's everywhere. No Wiis, though.

Also..

I forgot about Valkyrie Profile. I loved the battle system, the overall challenge, the dungeons and the soundtrack to bits. Too bad the other systems stunk, the characters were boring (and looked messed up sometimes) and the plot went from unspeakably boring to unbearably ridiculous. The biggest travesty is the lack of multiple battle themes, especially when you spend so much time in fights.

I also second everything nice said about FFXII, though, as I've said before, I'm not a fan of the implementation of those nice things.

kofoguz
494th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 00:36post reply

quote:
You're the elitist! You think you're too good to even PLAY games! I deal with some aspect of the localization process every day at work. I'm just trying to get away from that! That, and I'm extremely impatient. And rich! Of course, rich.

Here comes the Knight in the Shining Armor. Is that Vodoo hobo disturbing you my Lady?

Time Mage
2497th Post

"Re(7):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 01:58post reply

quote:
Here comes the Knight in the Shining Armor. Is that Vodoo hobo disturbing you my Lady?

I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, but...

Why can't people behave just normally when a female poster is present? I mean, she's just another poster here, there's no need to behave as if she's a damsel on distress, even if it's only half-joking.

And I wonder why women usually avoid this kind of places...

I'm the leading man. You know what they say abut the leading man? He NEVER dies.

kofoguz
495th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 03:27post reply

quote:
even if it's only half-joking.

Its not only half joking its an inside joke. And I dont fancy girls that much if its make you happy.
There I said it.

Maou
977th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(9):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 06:49post reply

Besides, Voodoo Hobo is the best title I've heard in weeks. I hope to see him authoring IC arcticles.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

chazumaru
458th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 06:52post reply

quote:
Why can't people behave just normally when a female poster is present?

Note that not only is she a she, but she mentioned she was a rich she.

quote:
GotY2007 ? Touch of Tanoshimu Hyakunin Ishhu DS Shigureden, of course.

天     あ
         晴     な
         れ     た
      段 な     は
      位    
      な     
     し   

For a nitpicker you sure dress poorly.

simonbelmont
116th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 06:53post reply

quote:
even if it's only half-joking.
Its not only half joking its an inside joke. And I dont fancy girls that much if its make you happy.
There I said it.

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/Blogs/Games/Game_News/Best_Games_of_1906/

Makondo99
350th Post

Silver Customer

"Whut" , posted Sun 7 Jan 09:21:post reply

quote:

Why can't people behave just normally when a female poster is present? I mean, she's just another poster here, there's no need to behave as if she's a damsel on distress, even if it's only half-joking.

What makes you think that Polly's female? :2ch_bubukuu:

:2ch_dandy: "No womanz on the 'net sonny"

Edits: Emoticons don't like me :(

[this message was edited by Makondo99 on Sun 7 Jan 09:24]

Undead Fred
2767th Post

"Re(8):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 10:53post reply

quote:

I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, but...

RULE #1: THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON THE INTERNET.

Anyway... Since I bought a 360 this fall, a majority of the games I bought for the last half of the year were pretty much all 360 games. Dead Rising's definitely my pick for game of the year, but since I'm totally biased towards shopping malls packed with zombies, I'm not sure if my vote counts. DOAXVB2 and Guitar Hero 2 were very good, but they weren't dramatically different than their predecessors. On the other hand, I guess there were enough sequels out there where other people fixed things that weren't broken, so I guess it's not so bad. And of course, there was Gears of War as well.

I'm looking forward to Bullet Witch once it comes out here (I think February?)... I had seen a video of it over the summer and it looks like a lot of fun.

Digitalboy
387th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(9):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 14:11post reply

Holy cow...I have been lied to for the last year...I think I will hang myself now.
quote:
RULE #1: THERE ARE NO GIRLS ON THE INTERNET.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

exodus
3710th Post

"Re(6):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 16:30post reply

quote:

You're the elitist! You think you're too good to even PLAY games!

Don't think, I know!

Though I did log almost 24 hours in rocket slime.

....it's a mystery, yes.

ONSLAUGHT
3629th Post

"Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 7 Jan 17:47post reply

I'm probably the only one that loved Gears of War, is it because is not a game filled with anime girls and stupid otaku bliss? Anyway, Dead Rising is such a fun game and it deserves honorable mention.

On the other hand, FF XII is crap.

exodus
3711th Post

"Re(1):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 7 Jan 18:39post reply

quote:
I'm probably the only one that loved Gears of War

fun, but not amazing.

the only notable thing it did for me was bring back true cooperative same-screen play. The fact that you have to help each other out is quite nice.

Pollyanna
2139th Post

"Re(2):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 7 Jan 19:19post reply

I'm hoping Gears of War (and maybe Lost Planet?) will help start a trend of making more 3rd-person shooters instead of 1st-person ones. Or maybe this trend is already well underway and I just haven't noticed, because games like that aren't aimed at people like me.

I'd like to play games like that online, but I want to be able to edit my character in fun ways. I don't like being a generic soldier. I'm not sure that this is an issue or priority for anyone but me.

Undead Fred
2768th Post

"Re(2):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 7 Jan 19:27post reply

quote:
I'm probably the only one that loved Gears of War

fun, but not amazing.

the only notable thing it did for me was bring back true cooperative same-screen play. The fact that you have to help each other out is quite nice.

I really appreciated the game for its combat system. I really enjoyed having to fight more like a tactical shooter than running and spraying bullets like a retard like you would in any other given game of its kind. You have to keep your head down and use suppressing fire and blah blah blah to survive. The game just felt really solid to me.

There were a few minor complaints about the story (I felt like they expected me to have been keeping up with all of the backstory or whatever was being shown around before the game's release... and I wanted to get an idea for WHY Fenix was locked up), and it could have been just a tad longer.

Nate
811th Post

"Re(9):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 19:32:post reply

quote:
And I dont fancy girls that much if its make you happy.
There I said it.

Iggy and I are not letting you join our secret club.

Oh, and I played some games this year. They were mostly good.

I preferred the new drinking games my pals and I came up with though.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

[this message was edited by Nate on Sun 7 Jan 19:36]

Iggy
8056th Post

"Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Sun 7 Jan 20:51post reply

quote:
I preferred the new drinking games my pals and I came up with though.

Could you... Wait.

Maybe it would be better for everyone if you didn't.
Maybe I'm happy now, and I won't ever be anymore when I'll read it.
Maybe the world is not ready.

But could you elaborate ?

exodus
3712th Post

"Re(3):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 8 Jan 04:03post reply

quote:
I'm hoping Gears of War (and maybe Lost Planet?) will help start a trend of making more 3rd-person shooters instead of 1st-person ones.

Actually, yes. This trend is underway! I was just talking about it a little while ago. I directly blame Resident Evil 4, by the way, as I know two of those games were directly influenced by it (three if you count Lost Planet itself). One is Gears of War, the other is Dark Sector, which I think everyone will be pretty surprised by. It seems quite good.

Another (believe it or not!) is Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - it's 3rd person in the online component as well.

In fact, Gears and Lost Planet are the most popular multiplayer games out there right now, so...yeah. I think the trend is going.

Undead Fred: I appreciated what it tried to do, but I have numerous complaints, which I plan to write up one day. And the story...man. The story was awful and amateurish. That whole bit with the resonator was...wow. I just can't begin to understand how they thought a story should be structured that way.

kofoguz
497th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 07:55:post reply

quote:
Iggy and I are not letting you join our secret club.

Well, why and if I dont get in the secret club what would I miss? Seriously.
Anyway this year kinda non-gaming year for me I even stopped Kof XI. I decided to wait English language version after I played it for a while. So year went like this;
Q1-->Kingdom Hearts 2/Onimusha 4 (My first in the series), Re-played Resident Evil 4 (Also my first in the series eventhough I translated 2 and 3 for my brother and I played survivor one but never finished it.)/ A little time with Fatal Frame (after playing two or more hours we realized memory card was insufficent then we never get back to it).
Q2-->Illness / Unreturned Love
Q3-->Recovery /Depression/PES 5(First time in the genre)/Recovery
Q4-->/F1 06 (Also first time in the genre except the CTR)/X3 the Official Game/Boredom/PES6/Final Fantasy X
Thats the review for my 2006. In the Q4 I gotten the Guitar Hero, and Megaman X collection but never got the chance to play them. Also my friend was going to give Okami and Godhand but I forgot to ask again. Should I hurry?

Also this year I learned a lesson from Onimusha 4 and RE4. Check the big titles or the recommended ones. I mean I'm still a stranger to a few titles. I should check something other than fighters. So I decided to play Viewtiful Joe, Devil May Cry, and Fatal Frame, Tales of Things (theres so much talk about it in the cafe so checking wont be bad, I guess). And also I want to finish FF X/X-2/XI/XII. So which serie should be my first priority?

EDIT: I almost forgot that I am going to get Capcom's Devil Kings.At first I see it as a game-clip at the GameOne, It doesnt look so original but it looks kinda fun and interesting. Anyone got something to say about this game?

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Mon 8 Jan 08:36]

exodus
3713th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 09:39post reply

quote:
Anyone got something to say about this game?

how can you not know that your idol has been talking about this one for years?

Pollyanna
2141th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 10:05:post reply

quote:
Anyone got something to say about this game?

I'm going to be a real import snob for once, because I think this game really calls for it. The English version really honestly is inferior. Not because it has bad voice acting or anything, but because its lame localization attempt is insulting and it's missing stuff. It's also pointless after Sengoku Basara 2 came out. Even if you're not into importing, I still wouldn't recommend Devil Kings unless you've played everything else good out there.

Kofoguz, it's hard for me to recommend things to you, because I don't know that your tastes necessarily agree with mine. Also, do you play imports?

Of the games you mentioned, I really don't think FFX-2 is particularly worth it, I wouldn't touch FFXI with a ten-foot pole and FFXII is...well...pretty good, but I can't recommend it based only on someone liking FFX. I enjoyed all 3 Fatal Frames to different degrees, though 2 had the fewest nuisances. 3 is just fine as long as you don't quit playing for 3 months and try to come back.

That leaves Okami and God Hand, both of which are excellent in different ways and DMC. I only really recommend DMC3. The second game isn't worth playing, and the 1st, while decent, is not worth playing when DMC3 is available.

As for Tales games, if you're not importing, the only decent available one is probably Tales of the Abyss, which unfortunately got a somewhat inferior US release (no voice acting in the skits, no lyrics in the opening, mediocre voice acting on the whole). Not enough to ruin the game, though.

So, just in my opinion, if you're looking for games to prioritize, I would say Okami, God Hand and DMC3 are a good place to start. Also, since you can borrow 2 out of 3, that should save you some money and keep you busy at the same time.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Mon 8 Jan 10:07]

Zepy
1310th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 10:36post reply

I like Eroge.

Nate
811th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 13:36post reply

quote:

Could you... Wait.

Maybe it would be better for everyone if you didn't.
Maybe I'm happy now, and I won't ever be anymore when I'll read it.
Maybe the world is not ready.

But could you elaborate ?

Oh nothing fancy. Just ones based around terrible movies to dull the pain of watching them.

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

exodus
3714th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 14:13post reply

quote:
I like Eroge.

he does!

kofoguz
497th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 15:42post reply

quote:
import .... The English version really honestly is inferior. Not because it has bad voice acting or anything,...lame localization attempt is insulting and it's missing stuff.... Sengoku Basara 2.... wouldn't recommend. Also, do you play imports?

About imports. No thats because I dont understand Japanese. I took Japanese KH2 and put it away before 5 or 6 day of twilight town. Cause it is driving me crazy not to understand lines, story doesnt matter how crappy they are. Thats why I am waiting for KOFXI and SSTenka for Europe or Us release. I play the competitively everytime I got a opponent, but unfortunately I play 1P most of the time and I wanna see what they quote. The thing that I love in Onimusha is theres an option that makes me hear the original voices and understand how the story goes with subtitles. Wish FFX got that. And also because of the language problem I can't bear to consider NamcoXCapcom. And thats kinda fetish game for me fighters/crossover and co-operate supers.

quote:
Kofoguz, it's hard for me to recommend things to you, because I don't know that your tastes necessarily agree with mine.

Actually I still kinda explore what I like, too. For ex. I never liked any kind of serious type sports/racing games but I discovered I enjoyed to play F1 06/ Pes6 and Virtua Tennis 02. Especially the VT02. Anyway theres a huge void between NES to PSOne. And cant find that much different Nes games localy at the time. So there're lots of nintendo titles I've missed. I never played Zelda, I love Mario but Nes was my last Nintendo so I played snes ones on pc and Ps2 no further... I loved wario game that I played on Gameboy advance.
Also I really really want to play Mario Party. I gotta save and buy a Wii. It will take a long time to keep up from NES but I wont be complaining.

I like Fighters/Platformers/Puzzles/Actions/Adventures, new in the Rpg if you dont count PE2, KH as Rpg.

TombRaider series except 1 and 2 -thanks Eidos for anniversary-, I watch the RE series, then got in action in 4 (it sounds kinda weird but I like -and liked- to watch and translate the some games and RE series rather than play it) I loved PE2, KH 1-2-com RE4, Onimusha dotd, Ctr, Chu chu Rockets, late to the sonics but loved the dreamcast episodes. Also I enjoyed the Jet Set Radio.

quote:
FFX-2 FFXI FFXII 3 Fatal Frames to different degrees, though 2 had the fewest nuisances. 3 is just fine as long as you don't quit playing for 3 months and try to come back.

Glad that I dont have FFXI. But I can go and check it just cause of curiousity.
quote:
That leaves Okami and God Hand, both of which are excellent in different ways and DMC. I only really recommend DMC3. The second game isn't worth playing, and the 1st, while decent, is not worth playing when DMC3 is available.

Notes taken.

quote:
So, just in my opinion, if you're looking for games to prioritize, I would say Okami, God Hand and DMC3 are a good place to start. Also, since you can borrow 2 out of 3, that should save you some money and keep you busy at the same time.

Actually I dont spend money to the games thanks to my friends.
BTW will I see a Wii Okami?

kofoguz
498th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 16:01post reply

quote:

Well I wasnt even know whats on tv or world over six months or more (polly the only one who noticed or at least mentioned my absence), didnt touch computer in that period.
Eventhough I like polly and fond to her I dont have a crash on her. There was some jokes that was it. Also someone really pissed that when I agree with polly about B. Jenet and accused me with loving Polly. And I think shes still right about it. Yeah maybe B. jenet IS kinda sluttish but not that cheap whore kind sluttish. Its like seeing Kasumi Tendo with G-string on her. And I dont stalk polly in every thread. Unless she is talking about it every thread and every posts of her.

KTallguy
888th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 16:55post reply

quote:
Its like seeing Kasumi Tendo with G-string on her.

Yea, it's kind of like that.

Play to win.

dai jou bu
1th Post

New Customer

"Re(4):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 8 Jan 19:05post reply

quote:
In fact, Gears and Lost Planet are the most popular multiplayer games out there right now, so...yeah. I think the trend is going.

Someone needs to convince me to play Lost Planet. After Gears of War reminded me that first/third person shooters can still be fun if they actually tried something interesting, (Half Life 2: Episode 2's Portal sure caught my attention) I can't be bothered to play it. Multiplayer isn't that great either since you need a lot of people in order to utilize the map's full potential, and even then most players leave in the first three minutes after it starts with no way of others to join the match in progress.

I should probably add Roboblitz onto my list because it's the first game I've seen where 3D models clipping through things is nonexistent.

HAYATO
739th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Mon 8 Jan 23:48post reply

quote:
Its like seeing Kasumi Tendo with G-string on her.

Yea, it's kind of like that.

Yeah, it's kind of great as well...

I still would stick to B Jenet, though.

Samson
100th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(6):Re(10):2006 in review" , posted Tue 9 Jan 01:59post reply

Games I've played/liked the most in 2006:

PS2 :
- Shadow of the Colossus
- Tekken 5 (multiplay)
- Guitar Hero
Honorable mention : FFXII

PSP :
- Monster Hunter Freedom (my Best Game Award by the way, far far far above anything else)
Honorable mention : Metal Gear Acid 2

NGC :
- oh yes ! Mario Kart (multiplay only)
Honorable mention : I can't think of anything else.

XBox :
- Halo 2 (offline multiplay only)
Honorable mention : movies, Lost and Galactica on DVDs :)

Newly acquired XBox 360 :
- Gears of War
- Dead Rising
Honorable mention : Viva Pinata

exodus
3715th Post

"Re(5):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 03:34post reply

quote:
Eventhough I like polly and fond to her I dont have a crash on her.

Don't worry, I never said anything like that myself, I'm just joining in on the fun. Much like sexual innuendo with iggy or zepy (who might not even be gay!?), it's all fair game.

Plus, 'idol' doesn't signify a crush, but rather admiration...which I think is more accurate anyway, if we're being truthful about what we say, which I must say I have NEVER been a proponent of.

quote:
Someone needs to convince me to play Lost Planet.

Alright mystery guest, I'll try it out. (oh and by the way, there is minor clipping in Roboblitz)

So, Lost Planet - it takes the 'action game' bits of Resident Evil 4, and amplifies them. The aiming has been refined, so it feels like you have very quick movement ala an FPS, but it's easier to have that kind of precision without being a genius, because the camera is further back. Basically the target reticle moves faster than it would in many games, but because you're further away from it, it's easier to see and control.

Next, the weapons are fun. You can ride mechs around, which is neat, and they have their own weapons they can equip. The nice thing is that you can actually use those weapons on foot as well, though you're a bit slower. So there's this nifty homing laser that shoots around corners, and you can camp out somewhere and blast away (it charges). And if you're on the receiving end, all you have to do is keep an eye out. All you really have to do to avoid it is jump around a bit.

It feels very balanced, and a novice can get some kills in by being in the right place at the right time, but a veteran has a lot of tricks he/she can employ.

The grappling hook, for instance, is quite fun. 'Traditionally' you use it to get up to high points, but you can also do things like fall off the side of the building, latch on, and dangle. This is useful if you're getting shot, but are on top of a building. You step off the edge, the guy can't shoot you anymore, you heal up, then you spring back up right in time for him to come see if he's finished you off at the ground level.

You can also use it to get behind cover faster. If you're getting shot at from the front, you can latch onto a pillar or rock in front of you, and speed across the ground to safety.

Basically there's a lot to do in there, much of which is based on you wanting to explore and use the controls to exploit the game, which is a very oldschool sensibility...which does call to mind RE4 once again.

I'm mostly talking about the multiplayer here, but the single player is fun too. One thing I like is that since this takes place in snow, your 'shield' is pretty much heat. When you blow things up, you can gather more heat. If your heat runs out, you're quite vulnerable.

The other thing I like about the third person view is how much of the playing field you can see. This makes it so when you die, you really know it's your fault. Well, except that one part of the single player demo where you have to face like a million mechs and you have nothing...that was impossible.

Anyway...the game has an oldschool aesthetic with new ideas, and I applaud any step in that direction. Who knows when we'll see another game like this, so I'm planning to get it.

quote:
I still would stick it to B Jenet, though.

I fixed it.

kofoguz
501th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 05:34:post reply

quote:
Eventhough I like polly and fond to her I dont have a crash on her.

Don't worry, I never said anything like that myself, I'm just joining in on the fun. Much like sexual innuendo with iggy or zepy (who might not even be gay!?), it's all fair game.

Plus, 'idol' doesn't signify a crush, but rather admiration...which I think is more accurate anyway, if we're being truthful about what we say, which I must say I have NEVER been a proponent of.

Sorry, actually I was Idolizing her and still I am. Cause I love elitist side of her/him/it. My flattery of her is just a part of game I play and shes ok with it as far as I know. I also love that Onslaught and Iggy assholes (their definition), that kinky kikkoken, that wise guy KTall he is Turkish-american. And the cool ones like you Voodoo Hobo. Even I missed time to time that broken robot. I cant say much about Professor cause I dont know him much. Also I only saw a few posts of Shingotheone1111ollyy guy so I cant comment about him either. Does he sucks that bad?
Anyway to me its all is a game. And doesnt matter it is true/false or really who you are. I dont care. I might be wrong and you would be a punch of small brats who're smartasses. Or I could be the worthless guy who try to get in the major league. Or we all could be the characters of the cafe's Rpg who are talk about the gaming.
So its up to you to see me as Sean or Dan. Or like Johnny. I dont care I like to hang around this cafe. So Can I have cake, please?

EDIT: Well this one is my 500th post and Im on the red carpet. Kinda cool. The red letter for my name looks good.

[this message was edited by kofoguz on Tue 9 Jan 05:36]

exodus
3716th Post

"Re(7):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 05:49post reply

is all ok.
am uniter, not divider.

kofoguz
501th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(8):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 06:11post reply

quote:
is all ok.
am uniter, not divider.

Well actually my complaints is not to you.

Juan
4329th Post

"Re(7):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 06:21post reply

what

ok

Red Falcon
5746th Post

"Re(8):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 06:25post reply

Huh

Best site EVER:Link Here

exodus
3717th Post

"Re(9):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 07:20post reply

quote:
Huh

how 'bout them Raiders.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
I don't even know what a 'sport' is.
pretty much.

End of Spoiler

Zepy
1311th Post

"Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 10:08post reply

There was an eroge I wanted to play.

But people said it was bad.

I did not get the game.

I waited a thousand years at the azumanga puzzle bobble machine.

But nobody ever showed up.

I bought porn.

The end.

Undead Fred
2769th Post

"Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 12:25post reply

quote:
how 'bout them Raiders.

RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK IS A GOOD MOVIE

Juan
4330th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 12:28post reply

THIS THREAD IS TOO WEIRD

IM GONNA GO GRIEF THE OTHER THREAD

quote:
how 'bout them Raiders.

ok

EddyT
555th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 16:36post reply

quote:
THIS THREAD IS TOO WEIRD

I like GRIEF

I like his spinning piledriver moves and his ending when he dances with the former president of Russia.

chazumaru
459th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 17:47post reply

Speaking about inclinations, I was wondering:
Are you more a Happy Feet or a Surfs Up person?

quote:
THIS THREAD IS TOO WEIRD

For a nitpicker you sure dress poorly.

Iggy
8057th Post

"Re(6):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 18:36post reply

quote:
iggy or zepy (who might not even be gay!?)

Oh, come on. Everybody knows.

But as for me, I'm not gay IRL.
Just so you know, I'm a straight otherkin looking for the lady raccoon of my dreams.
PM me if you know her.

ONSLAUGHT
3630th Post

"Re(7):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 20:15post reply

quote:

But as for me, I'm not gay IRL.
Just so you know, I'm a straight otherkin looking for the lady raccoon of my dreams.
PM me if you know her.

You don't love me anymore

Ishmael
2708th Post

"Re(8):Mmmmhh..." , posted Tue 9 Jan 23:04post reply

And that's what happened in 2006.

Just a Person
839th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 10 Jan 00:41post reply

quote:
how 'bout them Raiders.

Yes, it is, indeed!

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Iggy
8058th Post

"Re(8):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 10 Jan 00:58post reply

quote:

Don't worry, I've heard there are surgeries to grow a tail out of your bum nowadays.
Our love will go on ! And on ! And on !

HAYATO
741th Post

"Re(9):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 10 Jan 01:46post reply

quote:

Don't worry, I've heard there are surgeries to grow a tail out of your bum nowadays.
Our love will go on ! And on ! And on !

That's right, Onsy. You have plenty of fans out there, so don't make such a fuss just for Iggy's indifference...

exodus
3718th Post

"Re(7):Mmmmhh..." , posted Wed 10 Jan 02:39post reply

quote:
iggy or zepy (who might not even be gay!?)
Oh, come on. Everybody knows.

it's true, I should never have questioned.

simonbelmont
117th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Fri 12 Jan 15:05post reply

quote:
how 'bout them Raiders.

Temple of Doom is better. In 2007 Kali-Ma will rule the world!

dragon-warrior
1262th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Mon 15 Jan 19:29post reply

FFXII = B very good
EBA = B very good
Okami = F couldnt go further than 5 hours...
GODHAND = B+ GREAT
GuitarHero2 = A EXCELLENT
Zelda = 12 hours didnt finish it yet but for sure it is not AMAZING. OoT 1.2
Yakuza = F
CV PoR = B- very good
Rocket Slime = C- good ...but too easy and simple
DrillDozer = A one of the best 2D platform/GBA games EVAR.
SRWOG1&2 = B+ english version FTW ; ; finally

Guitar Hero 2 is the best game in 2006..fun challenging..rocking soundtrack -> AMAZING Game

God hand was the game that surprise me the most, it was GOOD! spanking = win

dai jou bu
3th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Mmmmhh..." , posted Fri 19 Jan 11:03:post reply

quote:
Alright mystery guest, I'll try it out.

This is the same handle I use for the shmups forums.
quote:
(oh and by the way, there is minor clipping in Roboblitz)

Curses!
quote:

You can ride mechs around, which is neat, and they have their own weapons they can equip.

From my play experience, getting into a mech means I become the first target to die since a lot of the players I was shooting at had EMP grenades. Plus I easily get knocked over from rifle shots. Then again, I was playing team deathmatch and never received proper infantry support, which is pretty standard in any random multiplayer match.
quote:

The grappling hook, for instance, is quite fun.

You can also use it to latch onto a mech's blind side and shoot at point blank range.
quote:

You step off the edge, the guy can't shoot you anymore, you heal up, then you spring back up right in time for him to come see if he's finished you off at the ground level.

I clearly remember the game telling you if you killed something since the text window updates itself when you do (like you destroyed a VS) as well as your individual/team score jumping up. And I thought the healing worked like it did in single player, but the rate was reduced to the point where the only way to replenish your shield at a reasonable rate was to die and respawn, unless there was a button I had to press to speed up its rate. That was annoying.
quote:
Basically there's a lot to do in there, much of which is based on you wanting to explore and use the controls to exploit the game, which is a very oldschool sensibility...which does call to mind RE4 once again.

I believe me not playing Resident Evil 4 yet is the main reason I cannot completely enjoy this game. The game's pacing is also slower than Gears of War.

However, I'm willing to give the game another chance though. I'll ask my friend someday to rent it for me in a few weeks he works at Blockbuster and employees are supposed to be able to get free rentals for games a month after that title was released.
quote:
The other thing I like about the third person view is how much of the playing field you can see. This makes it so when you die, you really know it's your fault.

Except for the rifle shot that didn't tell you where the bullet came from. I'm really paranoid about walking in open fields because of this fact.
quote:
The other thing I like about the third person view is how much of the playing field you can see. This makes it so when you die, you really know it's your fault. Well, except that one part of the single player demo where you have to face like a million mechs and you have nothing...that was impossible.

It's possible to complete that. My friend who tried the game out for the first time was able to do it on his initial attempt (although if I didn't tell him where to go, he probably would've been toasted in the first 15 seconds). The moment the camera fades in, get into the mech that's a few feet away to the right of you. There's also another mech not too far in front of that one to get into in case you took too much damage (which you probably will). From there, you just mop the floor with them since they don't have EMP grenades.

Funny thing is I didn't finish this scenario myself.

[this message was edited by dai jou bu on Fri 19 Jan 11:09]

Just a Person
843th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Fri 19 Jan 20:32post reply

quote:
(...)
(...)

Okay, but then, which grade would you give to it (it's the only game not ranked in your comments)? B? C? C+? I guess a F would be really unfair; it may not be amazing, but it's not a bad game at all...

dragon-warrior
1263th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):Mmmmhh..." , posted Sun 21 Jan 14:17post reply

quote:
(...)
(...)

Okay, but then, which grade would you give to it (it's the only game not ranked in your comments)? B? C? C+? I guess a F would be really unfair; it may not be amazing, but it's not a bad game at all...

of course not F or a C+ it is B+/A and above game... but it wasnt the AAA game as Ocarina of time or the WindWaker.
it is the safest thing nintendo could ever do to launch a System... a Remake/"clone" of thier Top and most beloved/Hyped game The Ocarina of Time.