Apocalypto - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1667 Views )

Tai-Pan
163th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Apocalypto" , posted Sun 10 Dec 16:48post reply

I just saw it today. I liked it a lot. Finally a movie with a different (fresh) world. The direction was good too.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Replies:

Undead Fred
2762th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Apocalypto" , posted Sun 10 Dec 17:07post reply

quote:
I just saw it today. I liked it a lot. Finally a movie with a different (fresh) world. The direction was good too.

Yeah, I saw it yesterday... it was pretty awesome. I kept trying to remember though- who were the different groups? Was it the Aztecs they were captured by? And I wasn't sure if Jaguar Paw's tribe was a particular group or not, either... But anyway, very well-done. Nice and intense and emotional as well.

HAYATO
727th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Apocalypto" , posted Tue 12 Dec 01:00post reply

Great. Now that Cafers recommend it, I guess I'll have to watch it...

Mokona
395th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Apocalypto" , posted Tue 12 Dec 03:44post reply

quote:
Yeah, I saw it yesterday... it was pretty awesome. I kept trying to remember though- who were the different groups? Was it the Aztecs they were captured by? And I wasn't sure if Jaguar Paw's tribe was a particular group or not, either... But anyway, very well-done. Nice and intense and emotional as well.

I'm pretty sure they were all Mayas... just that Jaguar Paw's tribe was a remote forest tribe and not part of the big city. I guess it's not really explained either, but I assumed they were all the same kind since they all spoke the same language.

Great film, I loved it. Some may complain there were a few slower parts, but it didn't bother me at all since you could always watch the amazing landscapes, costumes, etc.
I loved the use of effects and violence too... I mean, some parts are graphic, but always justified, and the effects were not used to wow you and were always directed at making the story more believeable.

Some worthy lessons taken from the film :
Tapir balls taste bad, apparently.
Don't fuck with a jaguar!

Blah!

Tai-Pan
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Apocalypto" , posted Tue 12 Dec 10:14post reply

quote:

I'm pretty sure they were all Mayas... just that Jaguar Paw's tribe was a remote forest tribe and not part of the big city. I guess it's not really explained either, but I assumed they were all the same kind since they all spoke the same language.

Great film, I loved it. Some may complain there were a few slower parts, but it didn't bother me at all since you could always watch the amazing landscapes, costumes, etc.
I loved the use of effects and violence too... I mean, some parts are graphic, but always justified, and the effects were not used to wow you and were always directed at making the story more believeable.

Some worthy lessons taken from the film :
Tapir balls taste bad, apparently.
Don't fuck with a jaguar!

Exactly, at first you may be shocked by the violence, but once you get into their world, you end up taking as something normal for them.
The costumes and landscapes are awesome.
Yeah, the guys in the big city are mayans, while the other are smaller tribes around.
You can check about the Mayan culture at wekepedia to understand everything well.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"