DS recommendations? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2177 Views )

Ishmael
2687th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 05:33post reply

If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that if I want to receive a good present for the holidays I have to go out and buy it myself. This year I decided I had been a good boy and Santa would bring me a Nintendo DS.

But now that I have the ability to play a portable gaming device in the comfort of my own home, what games should I get for it? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what DS/GBA games are out there that I should play? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Replies:

Maou
953th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 05:54post reply

quote:
If there's one thing I've learned over the years it's that if I want to receive a good present for the holidays I have to go out and buy it myself.
Hahahahaha, if I had the cash to be my own Secret Santa, I would buy Ouendan/Elite Beat Agents, all Dracula games from Minuet of Dawn/Aria of Sorrow onward, New Super Mario Brothers, and maybe FFV and VI advance just for kicks. And Revenant Wings ohwaitno

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Evenor
517th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 05:58post reply

Puyo Pop Fever.

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

Juan
4323th Post

"Re(1):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 06:38post reply

If you manage to find them I would recommend Super Robot Taisen 1 & 2. Good super robot strategy games with interesting stories and flashy cut scenes.

Atlus translated the games and did a pretty good job at it, but the trick is availability. Because Atlus hates us all.

ok

Kikkoken
1119th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member+

"Re(2):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 07:23post reply

Animal Crossing, Age of Empires, Advance Wars, Phonenix Wright, Mario Kart, King of Fighters Ex 2, more later.

Time Mage
2478th Post

"Re(1):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 07:41post reply

Advance Wars DS is all you need.

I'm the leading man. You know what they say abut the leading man? He NEVER dies.

exodus
3675th Post

"Re(2):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 09:01post reply

quote:
Advance Wars DS is all you need.

but only if you hate the english language. expect extensive use of 'pwn' and suchlike.

I say: Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Dragon Quest Rocket Slime Adventures, Final Fantasy III, Phoenix Wright, Meteos, and NOT CONTACT. The battle system sucks, no matter how nice the concept may be. And you spend most of your time battling.

Do you have a GBA already?

Get Ninja 5-0 if not, and Riviera.

Pollyanna
2098th Post

"Re(1):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 09:10post reply

quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what DS/GBA games are out there that I should play? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Give me something to work of off. Are there any types of games you especially like or don't like? Maybe you don't like things like Monkeys, which would make "Monkey Master 8" a bad recommendation.

hikarutilmitt
348th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 09:53post reply

quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what DS/GBA games are out there that I should play? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Both Summon Night games for GBA. Trauma Center (if you don't have a Wii or don't plan on getting one).

Digitalboy
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 11:05post reply

Zoo Keeper.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

exodus
3677th Post

"Re(2):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 11:36post reply

quote:
Maybe you don't like things like Monkeys, which would make "Monkey Master 8" a bad recommendation.

there is a flaw in your logic here, because everyone on earth likes monkeys, all those who do not have been jettisoned into space using a complex series of magnetic fields.

Pollyanna
2099th Post

"Re(3):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 11:46post reply

quote:

there is a flaw in your logic here, because everyone on earth likes monkeys, all those who do not have been jettisoned into space using a complex series of magnetic fields.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -

Or maybe we're they're living underground, preparing for the revolution.

End of Spoiler

emagius
0th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):DS recommendations?" , posted Fri 8 Dec 23:21post reply

Drill Dozer is a fantastic platformer with great level design (and much better style than NSMB). But I might just be saying that as a Tron Bonne fan.

Mokona
394th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):DS recommendations?" , posted Sat 9 Dec 00:38post reply

GBA : FF Tactics Advance, Zelda Minnish Cap
DS : Phoenix Wright, Trauma Center, Mario Kart DS, FFIII, the Castlevania games (don't have them, but that new one looks awesome)...

Blah!

KTallguy
881th Post

"Re(3):DS recommendations?" , posted Sat 9 Dec 01:53post reply

If you can read Japanese, import Fushigi No Dungeon DS and the FFVI Remake for GBA ? :)

If you can't... um ... I heard the Castlevania games are good...

Play to win.

Bootation
548th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):DS recommendations?" , posted Sat 9 Dec 05:37post reply

quote:
If you can read Japanese, import Fushigi No Dungeon DS and the FFVI Remake for GBA ? :)

If you can't... um ... I heard the Castlevania games are good...

Sonic Rush

Pretty please check out my neato sweet awesome webpage

Ishmael
2689th Post

"Re(2):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Sat 9 Dec 05:52post reply

quote:

Give me something to work of off. Are there any types of games you especially like or don't like? Maybe you don't like things like Monkeys, which would make "Monkey Master 8" a bad recommendation.

When asking for advice I tried to remain as vague as possible since I was more interested in hearing about what others had enjoyed as opposed to getting recommendations for genres I would probably investigate on my own. Since the DS is a portable game system -a type of game system I don't have much experience with- and features a number of options not found in other systems I figured there were plenty of good games for the DS that were different from what I had played elsewhere and that I might accidentally overlook. Luckily there have already been plenty of suggestions in this thread for games that I did not previously know about but look to be great fun. Thanks for the help, everyone.

Iggy
8012th Post

"Re(4):DS recommendations?" , posted Sat 9 Dec 07:48post reply

quote:
FFVI Remake

It sucks. The sound sucks. The sound being so important in the nostalgia factor of FF6, the game sucks.

Pollyanna
2102th Post

"Re(3):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Sat 9 Dec 08:08post reply

I'm going to do something backwards here. I'm going to UNrecommend stuff.

Sonic Rush is not great. It has a great soundtrack, and it's good for people who are ravenously hungry for a new Sonic game that's like the older ones. Yes, it's LIKE them, but it doesn't pull it off as well. The level designs are severely flawed and there are some really insultingly insipid "cinemas" to go through. The game is okay...it's not bad, but if you're on a budget, it certainly doesn't compare to the old Sonic experience, even if the soundtrack is one of the best things ever.

Similarly, the New Mario Bros is an okay game, but not the fantastic new Mario experience everyone was hoping for. Again, if you're a crazy Mario fan, then nothing anyone says will matter, but objectively, I think the game is lacking what made the originals great.

I would also ask people to recommend ONE Castlevania game. They're not all great, and the more you play, the less you're going to like the other ones. All of them except the first one (Circle of the Moon, I think?) are cursed with complete lack of difficulty and mediocre level design. If that doesn't bother you, then the ONE I recommend is Dawn of Sorrow, because it has a fun system and tons of really neat enemy sprites and animations. Also, the extra mode is pretty fun. Or you could just pick up the new one.

As for games that really use the DS, I also recommend Caduecus/Trauma Center, but I'll warn you that it becomes horrendously difficult after a point. If you don't want a tremendously challenging game, stay away. The Wii one (from my limited experience) can end up being easier if you have a friend (which is cooool), but doesn't simulate actual surgery as well.

As for Ouendan and Elite Beat Agents...both of them have their flaws. Or rather, Ouendan doesn't have as good of dance animations and fewer songs. It's one of my favorite games of all time, and nearly perfect, in my opinion, but all of that is completely invalid if you hate Japanese pop/rock music.

With Elite Beat Agents, the problem isn't so much that the music is American as that it's bad American music. The songs that I DO like were covered poorly. Also, many of the scenarios lack the drama of the original and are simply incoherent. Funny, but still disappointing. I'd listen to the music first to see if you want it.

I second Brandon's Contact unrecommendation, by the way.

I highly recommend Advance Wars DS, though. I think it's arguably the best game of its kind ever made. For the full experience, I'd recommend not getting extra exp for the story mode, though. It's inevitable on "hard", but for normal what's neat is that it's winnable without using any "boost" like that. I have a list of complaints with the game/things I'd want in a sequel, but none of them have anything to do with the excellent system and wealth of options.

I recently "finished" Jump Ultimate Stars, which I highly recommend to any Jump fan, of course. Even if you only like a few series, seeing interesting characters from other ones may raise your "manga awareness" and get you to try some stuff out. If you're not into ANY Jump manga, you're totally wasting your time, though.

Speaking of Jump manga, I also very much recommend Bleach, even if you don't know a single thing about the series. It's an excellent 2D fighting game that's fantastic to play with friends. Of course, if you don't have friends to play with or you're waiting for the sequel, it might be good to pass on for now.

As for Gyakuten Saiban/Phoenix Wright...I mean, it's a point and click game. It's great, but that's all it is. If you're expecting anything else, you may think it's overpriced. Also, the new case in the DS one sucks. It makes me want to apologize to people (while blushing) and say "really, it wasn't in the original!"

I won't go into GBA games, but I'll say I'm playing Yggdra Union right now and enjoying it quite a bit, despite the idiotic story. VERY good for SRPG fans.

Maou
955th Post

"Re(4):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Sat 9 Dec 11:47:post reply

quote:

I would also ask people to recommend ONE Castlevania game....cursed with complete lack of difficulty and mediocre level design.
Okay, then I'd make it Minuet/Aria for the GBA, and probably Portrait/Labyrinth for DS. Aria's occasionally tricky, has good design compared to the easy, badly-designed Concerto/Harmony, and sports good music. True, Circle of the Moon does have delightfully hard bosses, but the level design is the worst of any Dracula game, meaning despite its Metroidvania design, each new item you get for killing a boss enables you to go to exactly one relevant new place=totally linear. It's totally unlike the others which legitimately can be explored in different orders, making Circle the worst of both worlds.

Too bad about the (predictably) bad FFVI GBA music. It was horrible enough music emulation on the PS "port," can't even imagine what this will be like then. Un-recommnded. The day handhelds have Redbook-calibur sound is the day I'll buy one of my own.

edit: man, simple youtube shots reveal that the music and slowdown in FFVI-A are worse than you could ever imagine, makes the pitiful PS version look tolerable.

[this message was edited by Maou on Sat 9 Dec 15:13]

Black_Hayato
175th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Sat 9 Dec 13:06post reply

IF you have to get one DS Castlevania get Portrait of Ruin. Its Metroidish but also segmented into stages, and is significantly more challenging and varied. There's a 2 character system, wi-fi stuff, co-op, 5 hidden characters, interesting plot (compared to Dawn's retread) etc. Lots of modes, etc. Kind of a homage to Dracula's Curse.

Also its the best CV soundtrack since Symphony. Complex, catchy and very old school beat driven like CVIII or Bloodlines, with choice remixes such as Cross Your Heart and Iron Blue Intention.

Bata kun
2988th Post

"Hmmm." , posted Sat 9 Dec 19:40post reply

For GBA, get "Super Mario Advanced IV". I personally like "Original Generation". Granted, you don't get the Bonta-kun squad, but at least it's available to everyone.

The new "SMB" game is just okay. Sure, I get things from the past, but I felt that the game could be better. I hate it when I

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
have to unlock two levels though.

End of Spoiler

I plan on getting "FF III" as in the real "FF III", not "FF VI". I also plan on getting "Card Fighter Clash" and "Gyakuten Saiban". I am like 60% sure the Japanese version of the latter has an English option. Oh. That Yoshi game and that new Kirby game: I'm getting those as well.

ふもっふ!

dr baghead
3636th Post

"Re(4):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Wed 13 Dec 07:32post reply

quote:
With Elite Beat Agents, the problem isn't so much that the music is American as that it's bad American music. The songs that I DO like were covered poorly. Also, many of the scenarios lack the drama of the original and are simply incoherent. Funny, but still disappointing. I'd listen to the music first to see if you want it.

So what makes the music "bad" and what covers do you consider "poor"?

I've been playing the Hell out of the game and honestly can't figure out what you're referring to.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Pollyanna
2115th Post

"Re(5):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Wed 13 Dec 08:08post reply

quote:

So what makes the music "bad" and what covers do you consider "poor"?

I've been playing the Hell out of the game and honestly can't figure out what you're referring to.

This is a question that can't rightfully be answered, or rather, by answering, won't get anywhere. Let me rephrase it to be less inflammatory and less "No, I'm right/No, I'M right."

I do not like many of the songs in the game, and those who are not a fan of American pop music may feel the same. Furthermore, those who are a fan of some of the songs in the game may not be satisfied with the covers. I would recommend listening to some of the songs first, as since there is a chance you may not like them, it would most likely make the game less enjoyable.

I'm not trying to be condescending, it's just that if I say "I don't like this song", you can say "Well, I DO" and if I say "I don't think the vocals sound good on this song" or "it fails to capture the charm of the original" you can say "I think the vocals are great and it's even better than the original". Neither of us would be wrong, but I don't think there's enough dimensions to have a legitimate discussion.

To answer your question, though...off the top of my head, I wasn't a fan of the covers of Highway Star, ABC and YMCA. In terms of "bad" songs, I don't think there's any cover that would make me like "You're the Inspiration" and "Sk8er Boy". However, I've heard that the cover of "La La" is actually better, though I wouldn't know, since I've never heard the original.

exodus
3680th Post

"Re(6):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Wed 13 Dec 16:26:post reply

Polly - if it makes you feel less like a jerk, I didn't buy the game because all the songs are pop tripe bullshit. That's taking it a step further, but yes - it's all throwaway music that will be forgotten shortly, aside from the earth wind and fire and that, but I'm not too into that sort of thing to want to pick this up.

Why ruin decent gameplay with the typical Nintendo HEY THE KIDS LISTEN TO THIS ideas?

Oh....right........

[edit]
I should ammend my post - if people like this music - more power to you! Nintendo made this game for you. It's just rather shallow and unoriginal stuff, which is what bothers me. Everyone has their own taste, but this is one of the few places I'll really call it like I see it.

[this message was edited by exodus on Wed 13 Dec 17:01]

Ishmael
2693th Post

"Re(7):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Thu 14 Dec 06:26post reply

Now my curiosity has been piqued. Is there somewhere that has a selection of the songs that were played in both Elite Beat Agents and Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan? Was the game mis-managed when it was ported or did the original version have annoying pop songs of Japanese origin? Is it a case of a song's simple beat and availability being more important for its inclusion than popular acclaim? The venomous take on the game that exodus had made me wonder if the original was some sort of oasis for music snobs that featured original compositions by Kawabata Makoto, Henry Threadgill or whomever. Or is this one of those cases where a person's previous feelings about the songs are going to influence their impression of the game?

Maou
964th Post

"Re(8):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Thu 14 Dec 06:58:post reply

Hey Ish, here's the original list of songs:

1. Asian Kung-Fu Generation - Loop & Loop
2. 175R - Melody
3. Morning Musume - Koi no Dance Site
4. Ulfuls - Guts Da Ze!!
5. nobodyknows+ - Kokoro Odoru
6. Tomoyasu Hotei - Thrill
7. The Blue Hearts - Linda Linda
8. B'z - Atsuki Kodou no Hate
9. Kishi-dan - One Night Carnival
10. Road Of Major - Taisetsuna Mono
11. Linda Yamamoto - Horiuchi
12. Yaida Hitomi - Over The Distance
13. Orange Range - Shanghai Honey
14. The Yellow Monkey - Taiyo Ga Moteiru
15. L'Arc~En~Ciel - Ready Steady Go

So as you can see, it's a mix of somewhat well-known but still respectable stuff like 175R, Asian KFG, Yellow Monkey, Orange Range,and B'z along with occasional trash like Morning Musume, who are probably the only ones on this list I recognize as being about on (sub-) par with Sk8ter Boy or something. I don't know what songs the US one has, but I gather it was a mildly more mainstream pop vibe?

[this message was edited by Maou on Thu 14 Dec 07:00]

Spoon
1381th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(9):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Thu 14 Dec 09:01:post reply

quote:
I don't know what songs the US one has, but I gather it was a mildly more mainstream pop vibe?

It's actually... kinda like muzak. No, really.
It has a small number of songs that are close to modern, and a bunch of things from 10 or more years ago that you either hear all the time or have already heard all the time like YMCA, You're the Inspiration, etc.

I actually thought the Earth Wind and Fire song was a perfect fit.

Maybe the music in Ouendan is like muzak over there, but isn't muzak to us because we hear different muzak? I don't know.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Thu 14 Dec 09:02]

exodus
3680th Post

"Re(10):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Thu 14 Dec 09:43post reply

I didn't really like the japanese songs either.

but I mean...the U.S. one has hoobastank in it.

hoobastank.

Maou
966th Post

"Re(10):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Thu 14 Dec 09:44post reply

quote:
Maybe the music in Ouendan is like muzak over there, but isn't muzak to us because we hear different muzak? I don't know.

Nah, at least the former fairly-recognizable-but-not-totally-pop ones I mentioned first are new enough, nothing too dated. So maybe that's the difference...the two releases' music might have matched up if the US one had more stuff on the level of say Radiohead. That band seems analogous in being quite popular yet not being 'pop' nor something that even old people who don't know music would know of through sheer media talk, like Madonna or Avril Lavinge (sp?) or something.

thaumaturge
11th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):DS recommendations?" , posted Thu 14 Dec 13:02post reply

All I can say is don't get Portrait of Ruin. Especially if you consider yourself a Castlevania fan.

Satoshi Miwa
2791th Post

"Re(7):Monkey recommendations?" , posted Thu 14 Dec 14:21post reply

quote:
Polly - if it makes you feel less like a jerk, I didn't buy the game because all the songs are pop tripe bullshit. That's taking it a step further, but yes - it's all throwaway music that will be forgotten shortly, aside from the earth wind and fire and that, but I'm not too into that sort of thing to want to pick this up.

Why ruin decent gameplay with the typical Nintendo HEY THE KIDS LISTEN TO THIS ideas?

Oh....right........

[edit]
I should ammend my post - if people like this music - more power to you! Nintendo made this game for you. It's just rather shallow and unoriginal stuff, which is what bothers me. Everyone has their own taste, but this is one of the few places I'll really call it like I see it.

I'd agree with you mostly on that, but than EBA has three rock songs I really like. Jumping Jack Flash (WHich is actually quite fitting for the game) Let's Dance, Fall In love. Of course those don't work nearly as well as they should of since the entire song catalog is Cover songs and these version don't really match up to the orginals by Queen, David Bowie, and The Rolling Stones.

As for some of the other picks? Yeah, a little too much 80's and 90's candy pop. I didn't mind some of the choices, but wish they were balanced out with a few more things.

Though to be fair, Music rights in NA are an ass and half to deal with. I'm not sure if this is the list Nintendo wanted, or if this was the best of what Nintendo could afford and get.