DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3812 Views )

Undead Fred
2751th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Tue 21 Nov 14:00post reply

I'm enjoying it so far... I was a little disappointed it's the exact same island from the first one, but I like all of the new stuff. And there's a lot of it. The camera and photo album's a pretty sweet bonus, too. Anyone else picked it up?

Replies:

Evenor
514th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Tue 21 Nov 14:34post reply

quote:
I'm enjoying it so far... I was a little disappointed it's the exact same island from the first one, but I like all of the new stuff. And there's a lot of it. The camera and photo album's a pretty sweet bonus, too. Anyone else picked it up?

Beach Spikers will forever be top tier.

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

trogdor
69th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Tue 21 Nov 14:57:post reply

It's not bad, although there are quite a few problems/bugs with the game. Not that I am complaining too much after watching the pole dancing gravure scene.

updated w/ link to pole dancing

originally posted from
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928676&topic=31913137

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=223JN43N Kokoro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthTCSMqlS8

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ND5W0UUH Kasumi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miGKa5kFzUo

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WOR3DKTH Hitomi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moRLRGvHUEo

[this message was edited by trogdor on Tue 21 Nov 15:09]

Pollyanna
2075th Post

"Re(3):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Tue 21 Nov 17:05post reply

The pole dancing is sort of turning me off from it. It's over the line. The first game was delightfully one the line. It was sexy, fun, cute and a bit tasteless, but not in bad taste.

For me to enjoy the game, I have to enjoy the characters, and taking the character's character away by making them do something out of character turns them into polygon fetish devices (which I'm much less interested in than characters). I can deal with about half of the characters pole dancing, but it's just...weird with like Helena, Hitomi and Lei Fang. Well, Kasumi, too. Maybe if the dances were different or they had different sexy things to do.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't think that means there's anything wrong with the GAME. Going by the target audience, I think some of their additions were great moves. If you can't have your favorite girl do everything there is to do, then you're missing out, right? But it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth by way of "Tecmo doesn't care about these characters".

I haven't heard good things about the game, either...but I didn't hear good things about the first game, and I -loved- it. I've just heard that 2 is sort of frustrating at times and has AI issues. Is this this case?

I'm still very much considering getting the game, it's just not a priority. That and I'm selling my 360 and getting a Japanese one.

HAYATO
695th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Tue 21 Nov 17:47post reply

LOL, DOA franchise gets weirder by the moment. I assume Tecmo will eventually buy Illusion to "enhance" the game's features...given the current state of things, I think that a "Battle Raper vs DOA " would be the smartest commercial move they could make.

Maou
933th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(4):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 01:33post reply

quote:
turns them into polygon fetish devices
Too late. By a long shot, judging from what I remember even of DOA1.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

Just a Person
829th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 01:36:post reply

quote:
The pole dancing is sort of turning me off from it. It's over the line. The first game was delightfully one the line. It was sexy, fun, cute and a bit tasteless, but not in bad taste.

For me to enjoy the game, I have to enjoy the characters, and taking the character's character away by making them do something out of character turns them into polygon fetish devices (which I'm much less interested in than characters). I can deal with about half of the characters pole dancing, but it's just...weird with like Helena, Hitomi and Lei Fang. Well, Kasumi, too. Maybe if the dances were different or they had different sexy things to do.

Kasumi pole dancing? She's really hot, I know, but that just sounds... wrong...
Maybe if instead of the pole dancing she was in one of those Japanese contests to smash a watermelon while wearing a bathing suit or something like that, it would make more sense...

quote:
But it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth by way of "Tecmo doesn't care about these characters".

Tecmo just doesn't seem to care about the DOA girls, actually. If the producers ever make a game with the male characters in tight speedos and pole dancing, then Tecmo won't be caring about any character at all (fortunately, I guess that won't happenfor a long, long time...).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Wed 22 Nov 01:40]

Arngrim
222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(5):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 01:40post reply

This game has so many strange implementions.

Everybody seems to complain about the pole dance. About the characters not fitting with their role... well, it's arguable to which extent it's relevant to put the characters in credible situations in this context. This game just pretends to put a pack of flesh in the screen in order to get the players aroused (and to help them expeditate their masturbation, of course).

Actually, I think the main purpose of this game is to act as a masturbation device. It could also be understood as a giant joke, but seeing some pretentious points on the game, I'd rather think twice.

I think that this game does not only not count as canon in the storyline, but also in the characterisation of the girls. So we shoudn't really bother with that, parting from the premise that it's a minigames party game with characters that intend to kill each other in the main storyline.

In other aspect, I think that neither "How crazy are you?" by Meja nor "Is this love" by Bob Marley fit in the game at all. Kinda weird choices.

...and I miss some new additions to the cast. Niki, for example, would have been an interesting plus. Sticking to the same cast + Kokoro is kinda restrictive.

HAYATO, you've made me realize how wonderful a Biko game with the DOA cast would be.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

HAYATO
699th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 02:24post reply

quote:
HAYATO, you've made me realize how wonderful a Biko game with the DOA cast would be.

Pleased to be of service, as always. And just imagine a bit further, imagine a game with built-in trance-vib compatibility, and you'll fiond yourself looking at Game of the Year 2008.

Dr Baghead
3633th Post

"Re(1):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 04:42post reply

I rented it for the weekend and it's better then I expected (then again I expected NOTHING, DoAX1 pissed me off after I realized I'd NEVER get a complete Christie collection.)

What I like:
-The girls over all seem happier (Lisa and Christie actually get along now without an insane amount of presents)
-Better selection of costumes per character (even if it's less suits, they're better)
-NO TRASH CAN!! (yeah, suits get given back but rewrapping is better then rebuying... you just can't wear it once it's been returned or it's not rewrapable.)
-Wave Racing is a lot of fun, unlike volleyball, so the game has something enjoyable to do while you try to earn zillions of dollars to get suits that will be given back to you!

What I hate:
-the Zack of All Trades items are completely different with no real hints at what new items the girls like (I figure Christie likes the RC toys, since she likes to drive, and darts, since what British person doesn't play darts... but she doesn't like the tea set)... like seriously, what does Kokoro like?!
-Volleyball sucks more now

it's fun, but not $60 fun... hopefully it'll drop to $20 in a month like the first game.

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Juan
4311th Post

"Re(2):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 07:29post reply

quote:

What I hate:
-the Zack of All Trades items are completely different with no real hints at what new items the girls like
-Volleyball sucks more now

If you are not sure about what item to give to a character you can always go by the color they like. Never figured Christie would take the cowboy hat, but it was black so it worked very well. But yeah most of the time it gets confusing, just feed them accessories until something good appears on the store.

Also use the right color on the gift wrapping. Depending on the character they might just spit the gift back without even opening it.

ok

Pollyanna
2076th Post

"Re(5):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 07:31post reply

quote:
turns them into polygon fetish devices Too late. By a long shot, judging from what I remember even of DOA1.

I'm sorry...let me rephrase that. NOTHING BUT polygon fetish devices.

Arngrim's right about just about everything being irrelevant, which is a bit of a shame for people who actually -like- the characters...but I guess there's no joy in masturbating to a girl you actually LIKE, huh? To me, seeing a character do something out of character like that is a turnOFF. Maybe if they reacted differently to pole dancing or something like.."I don't know about this...well, actually, this is kind of fun...ah, that was embarrassing!". Isn't that sexy, too?

But I'd like to to see the girls do more character-specific things in all scenarios...to react differently, depending on what characters are in the scene. Removing that robs the characters of their already dwindling amount of originality. It's as much an issue of laziness as exploitation.

Saying "it's JUST a masturbation device" or "it's just a stupid game" doesn't excuse its shortcomings unless the game is cheaper than other games to buy.

also...

Dr Baghead:
Would you take a swimsuit out of a trashcan if a girl threw it away? I think it'd be great to have the option of wearing "stinky swimsuits.

trogdor
69th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(6):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 10:03post reply

quote:
Maybe if they reacted differently to pole dancing or something like.."I don't know about this...well, actually, this is kind of fun...ah, that was embarrassing!".

That actually occurs during the pole dancing sequence.

Pollyanna
2077th Post

"Re(7):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 10:07post reply

quote:
Maybe if they reacted differently to pole dancing or something like.."I don't know about this...well, actually, this is kind of fun...ah, that was embarrassing!".

That actually occurs during the pole dancing sequence.

But everyone does the same dance, right? They have a different voice over during the actual dance, though?

I just watched a video, but I didn't see anything like that...

Undead Fred
2752th Post

"Re(6):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 13:37post reply

quote:
turns them into polygon fetish devices Too late. By a long shot, judging from what I remember even of DOA1.

Arngrim's right about just about everything being irrelevant, which is a bit of a shame for people who actually -like- the characters...but I guess there's no joy in masturbating to a girl you actually LIKE, huh? To me, seeing a character do something out of character like that is a turnOFF. Maybe if they reacted differently to pole dancing or something like.."I don't know about this...well, actually, this is kind of fun...ah, that was embarrassing!". Isn't that sexy, too?

But I'd like to to see the girls do more character-specific things in all scenarios...to react differently, depending on what characters are in the scene. Removing that robs the characters of their already dwindling amount of originality. It's as much an issue of laziness as exploitation.

Saying "it's JUST a masturbation device" or "it's just a stupid game" doesn't excuse its shortcomings unless the game is cheaper than other games to buy.

also...

Dr Baghead:
Would you take a swimsuit out of a trashcan if a girl threw it away? I think it'd be great to have the option of wearing "stinky swimsuits.

Yeah, I can understand not really getting into the game if the characters are behaving way WAY out of character, but I guess I'm not really expecting them to really stick close to their characters in the XVB series since (as someone else already said) girls that hate each other to death in the fighting game will play together after a while in the volleyball game. I wouldn't really call the game TASTELESS... I just think it's shameless. And I've got no issues with that. I pretty much expected a "just for fun" game when I got it, and that's what I got.

And the HURF HURF UR GONNA BEAT OFF WHILE U PLAY LOL jokes remind me of the GameStop employee's reaction when I asked about the release date a while back. There were two of them in the store, and one got this weird smirk on his face and said, "Hur... why do you wanna know that?"
"Because it's awesome."
"You gonna see how far the quarters bounce off the girls'.... hur hur..."
"Yep! Now when's it out?"
The other guy acted like a grownup and looked up the date for me.

Anyway, some other stuff I liked about the gmae:
-Like Baghead said, the trashcans sucked and I'm glad they're gone. Nothing like saving up a million Zack Bucks or whatever to buy that red shoelace V thing for Tina just to have her pitch it in the garbage overnight.
-I was pretty impressed with the tan lines in the game. I was surprised not only to see them, but also that they match the suit design that made them. Very nice little detail.
-I'm a sucker for goofy gimmicks like the camera, and I thought being able to mess with the F stop and so forth were pretty sweet. Now I just need to get the hang of all of it. It'd have been cooler if they would let you play with the aperture to mess with the light levels in the pictures, too.

Arngrim
224th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(6):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 22 Nov 23:45post reply

quote:

also...

Dr Baghead:

I completely agree. The problem is, I think that we care more for the characters than the creators actually do. It's a clash of perspectives. Which is why the most caring gamers detect that something in wrong in the attitude of the game.

Of course, the aim of the game DOES NOT justify poor execution, and I'm glad that characters actually do not behave similarly in front of different situations, because this would add naturality to a somewhat reduced characters in terms of psychological complexity.

I mean, this could have been a great chance to expand the personality of the characters, by putting them in front of situations that would be unlikely to happen in the main storyline and see how they react, and by reducing them, it's LOGIC for players to wish for something more ellaborate.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

Maese Spt
328th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Thu 23 Nov 15:13post reply

quote:

Pleased to be of service, as always. And just imagine a bit further, imagine a game with built-in trance-vib compatibility, and you'll fiond yourself looking at Game of the Year 2008.

Also, Tecmo could purchase Kaneko's rights to make mucvh needed Gals Panic 3D sequels.

Heh, with such credentials, Itagaki will have a hard time trying to prove his innocence on that sexual harassment affair...

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Undead Fred
2756th Post

"Re(8):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Wed 29 Nov 15:11post reply

I was wondering- has anyone here seen a night match yet? I had gotten a few here and there in the first game, but I haven't had it happen just yet in the sequel... I liked getting those now and then.

Nate
806th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(9):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Sat 2 Dec 08:22post reply

I suck at this game.

Yes, I was not aware it was possible to do so either, but I suck.

I can't win like...any of the minigames.

I DON'T WANT KOKORO TO HATE ME!

ワンダフル! ビューティフル! エキサイティング!

Pollyanna
2087th Post

"Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST game?" , posted Sat 2 Dec 14:15post reply

quote:
I suck at this game.

Don't you know? The game has a built in gaydar. It's less homosexual-friendly than its predecessor. I predict girls may have problems as well.

Satoshi Miwa
2786th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Sat 2 Dec 16:20post reply

quote:
I suck at this game.

Don't you know? The game has a built in gaydar. It's less homosexual-friendly than its predecessor. I predict girls may have problems as well.

*Quickly goes off to TM the technology so he can make millions off of the next DOAXVB2 game..Which will be called DOAXXX instead of DOAXVB3)*

dr baghead
3634th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Sun 3 Dec 05:53post reply

quote:
Which will be called DOAXXX instead of DOAXVB3

I know you're joking, but that totally seems like what Tecmo USA would title the game the game or if not "DoAXXX" flat out something that would be read the same way like "Dead or Alive Triple-Xtreme"

... and I'm saying Tecmo USA would do it not because I think they're the stupider group but because Itagaki would probably have more controll over the Japanese title and would say something like "NO! we can't call it 'XXX' because it's disrespectful to my girls... now if you'll excuse me, I have to go grope my assisstant and over see the programing for the new and improved pole-dancing scenes"

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)
my silly little drawin's

Ishmael
2685th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Mon 4 Dec 05:47post reply

Just curious, but in several videos I've seen of the game the clipping on the characters' hair is very pronounced; was this fixed in the final game or does long hair still slide straight through the bodies of the girls? Spending so much energy on tan line technology is all well and good but what's the point of all this new hardware if they can't even get the hair right?

Freeter
4358th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Mon 4 Dec 09:10post reply

quote:
what's the point of all this new hardware if they can't even get the hair right?

They spent the extra polys on the boobs. Madden has stitchings, DOA has silicone.

Undead Fred
2757th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Mon 4 Dec 10:42post reply

quote:
Just curious, but in several videos I've seen of the game the clipping on the characters' hair is very pronounced; was this fixed in the final game or does long hair still slide straight through the bodies of the girls? Spending so much energy on tan line technology is all well and good but what's the point of all this new hardware if they can't even get the hair right?

I haven't noticed any clipping through the body and stuff (well, enough to complain about... I'm pretty sure I've seen some), but what bothered me was how it looked- great big strips of hair sliding all over the place. But I guess I just got used to it and it doesn't hurt my eyes anymore. And I still enjoy the game despite being bothered by the hair, so it works out.

Ammadeau
1531th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(6):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Mon 4 Dec 14:39post reply

I just recently caved in and picked up this game since I was a fan of the original, and it seems to me like an improvement in every way, though perhaps not as great an improvement as it could have been. It's funny that for all the press it got, I hardly ever see the silly boob physics. The hair is indeed bad, which is why all the girls in long hair have hats in my game. It hides much of the uncooked noodle effects.

To prove that I'm a nerd, when I earned my first million, I didn't spend it on one of those 'barely there' swimsuits, but instead bought a new jetski for double the turbo power!

The only thing I don't like is the butt battle. It's stupid with the flat butt parade here, plus I can't seem to win it ever.

Ammadeau.net - My own personal waste of time.

Gojira
2083th Post

"Re(6):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Mon 4 Dec 16:04post reply

Well, they did finally fix the spinal joints of the models at least, after getting it wrong in every DoA ever made. Though I'm probably the only person in the world who ever noticed that problem.

Spoon
1375th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(7):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Mon 4 Dec 17:47post reply

quote:
Well, they did finally fix the spinal joints of the models at least, after getting it wrong in every DoA ever made. Though I'm probably the only person in the world who ever noticed that problem.

I'm not even sure what kind of fetish that is.

Gojira
2085th Post

"Re(8):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Mon 4 Dec 19:13post reply

quote:

I'm not even sure what kind of fetish that is.

MISS

trogdor
72th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(9):Re(10):DOAXVB2: Great game, or GREATEST" , posted Fri 29 Dec 02:27post reply

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928676&topic=32658107

New patch allows XBL customers to pay real money to 'complete' game...