Looking for a fanart collaborator - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1511 Views )

shindekudasai
123th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Looking for a fanart collaborator" , posted Thu 9 Nov 16:54post reply

Hey guys, any of you do coloring in photoshop? I'm looking for somebody to flesh out my KOF fanarts, or at least show me a few pointers :) You can check out my meager attempts here: http://ungenesis.deviantart.com. Thanks!!

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

Replies:

nobinobita
57th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):Looking for a fanart collaborator" , posted Fri 10 Nov 04:49post reply

quote:
Hey guys, any of you do coloring in photoshop? I'm looking for somebody to flesh out my KOF fanarts, or at least show me a few pointers :)

The first thing you should do is look at this tutorial:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/34562471/?qo=2&q=painter+tutorial+&qh=boost%3Apopular+age_sigma%3A24h+age_scale%3A5

It's the best digital painting tutorial ive come across. It's concise and easy to follow.

The tutorial is for painter, but it can also apply to photoshop.

The single most important thing you can learn from that tutorial is to use the eye dropper tool to select your colors out of the canvas.

Use that CTRL key constantly!

Once you get the hang of it, you can blend tones really nicely. Also, it saves time and makes your image more consistent. Just try it till it makes sense.

Good luck!

Mokona
382th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(2):Looking for a fanart collaborator" , posted Fri 10 Nov 07:14post reply

I should really get a wacom tablet, this looks like fun...
*checks prices* Okaaaay, not in the next few years I guess...

Blah!

Undead Fred
2745th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):Looking for a fanart collaborator" , posted Fri 10 Nov 15:50post reply

quote:
I should really get a wacom tablet, this looks like fun...
*checks prices* Okaaaay, not in the next few years I guess...

You can actually get one for pretty cheap. I got my current one back in college and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it- only $80. I've said it before, but the 4x5 works very well despite the limited drawing space. The square on the surface of the tablet corresponds to the computer screen, so your brain just adjusts and everything's fine.

Anyway, I'll give you a couple of quick tips that you might try:
-If you're coloring a pencil or inked drawing in Photoshop, try duplicating the image onto a new layer, then taking the bottom/background layer and flooding it with white. Take the layer above it with the linework on it and change the layer mode to Multiply (so the lines burn into the layer beneath it). Then you can color on the bottom layer and it'll show through the layer above with the linework and you can be looser with your coloring part of the job.
-From watching some guys at PaintChat a long time ago, I started to rough in large areas of color first, then trimming away the areas I don't need to get quick areas of color in fast. For example, I usually throw in the flesh layer first, then isolate the background and put a flat color in there next. Then I start refining from there, using smaller and smaller brushes to block in other big areas of color (I have the animation turned on at the drawing board if you wanted to watch playbacks of what I'm talking about).
-I avoid gradients and blending of color changes. This is a personal preference, of course, but since I'm going more for the anime cel-shaded look, I don't use any gradients. I usually start with the darkest shadows of the skin first, then add the dark shadowy parts on clothes and hair and all that, then move on to the brightest highlights. Then, if I'm feeling motivated enough, I'll add another level of shadow (and MAYBE highlights too) that's lighter than the dark shadows, but not the same value as the shaded part... if that makes any sense.

Just a couple of things to try out... I'm sure other people have a lot better things to recommend, but it's a start anyway.

nobinobita
58th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):Looking for a fanart collaborator" , posted Fri 10 Nov 18:01post reply

quote:

Use that CTRL key constantly!

Actually the hotkey for the eyedropper is "alt" in Photoshop and painter and just about every other art program.

So... use that Alt key!!!