Lik-Sang RIP - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2094 Views )

Iggy
7958th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 00:26post reply

quote:
Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.

As of today, Lik-Sang.com will not be in the position to accept any new orders and will cancel and refund all existing orders that have already been placed. Furthermore, Lik-Sang is working closely with banks and PayPal to refund any store credits held by the company, and the customer support department is taking care of any open transactions such as pending RMAs or repairs and shipping related matters. The staff of Lik-Sang will make sure that nobody will get hurt in the crossfire of this ordeal.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment directly on the lawsuit against Lik-Sang, but recently went on to tell Gamesindustry.biz that "ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera; is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software; will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and will not be covered by warranty".

Lik Sang strongly disagrees with Sony's opinion that their customers need this kind of protection and pointed out that PSP consoles shipped from Lik-Sang contained genuine Sony 100V-240V AC Adapters that carry CE and other safety marks and are compatible world wide. All PSP consoles were in conformity with all EU and UK consumer safety regulations.

Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few.

"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe’s ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don’t see fit. It’s the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.

"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."

THANK YOU SONY.

You like japanese videogames, you want to buy them legally ? Sony says "fuck no!". I think people like me will be forced to pirate from now on, and too bad if we want to give the developper mney for their work.

Replies:

Kilvear
154th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 00:42post reply

quote:
Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.

As of today, Lik-Sang.com will not be in the position to accept any new orders and will cancel and refund all existing orders that have already been placed. Furthermore, Lik-Sang is working closely with banks and PayPal to refund any store credits held by the company, and the customer support department is taking care of any open transactions such as pending RMAs or repairs and shipping related matters. The staff of Lik-Sang will make sure that nobody will get hurt in the crossfire of this ordeal.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment directly on the lawsuit against Lik-Sang, but recently went on to tell Gamesindustry.biz that "ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera; is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software; will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and will not be covered by warranty".

Lik Sang strongly disagrees with Sony's opinion that their customers need this kind of protection and pointed out that PSP consoles shipped from Lik-Sang contained genuine Sony 100V-240V AC Adapters that carry CE and other safety marks and are compatible world wide. All PSP consoles were in conformity with all EU and UK consumer safety regulations.

Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few.

"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe’s ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don’t see fit. It’s the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.

"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."

THANK YOU SONY.

You like japanese videogames, you want to buy them legally ? Sony says "fuck no!". I think people like me will be forced to pirate from now on, and too bad if we want to give the developper mney for their work.

Man iggy is fast.

I can smell more Sony hate coming.

Strange i also still see people buying PS3s by the bucket loads in Europe.

Updating signature

exodus
3585th Post

"Re(1):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 01:28post reply

man...that's rough.

Maou
910th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 04:13:post reply

Hmm, one thing I wonder though is whether this has to do with the specific editions LikSang and its ilk sell. I never bought games from them or Video Games Depot, for instance, because they were selling the Asian versions of Japanese games (Japanese language, but not the Japanese domestic copies per se) and I'm crazy like that. I don't know how much these pan-Asia Japanese language versions of the games cost, but I suspect (anyone know?) that they are less expensive, which might explain the relatively cheaper prices compared to, say, NCSX.

Do you suppose this was the case with Sony Europe being unhappy about getting undercut by another region's cheaper version of the same product? Granted, European divisions seem to be pretty bad at everything they do (from fun with old botched PAL versions to the non-existent release schedules of Japanese games), so I don't defend them, but I wonder if this was the rationale at least?

edit: I mean, the rationale besides Sony's astounding arrogance and increasingly precarious (and self-inflicted) position in the future of the games industry, that is.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 25 Oct 04:18]

Cain Highwind
728th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(3):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 04:29post reply

Well, this sucks for me because I'd usually buy Voltage Adapters for systems that I'd buy here in the US mainly for my brother who's living in New Zealand.

This sucks though. Damn you Sony!

KTallguy
877th Post

"Re(1):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 04:34post reply

I'm on the fence. I think that Lik Sang is a great resource for many people trying to import. I use Play Asia mostly, so I don't have any personal experience, however.

Then again, they charge more than double the price for new hardware that comes out. What was it, PSPs going for like 500 dollars?

It's a fine line between trying to keep the public happy and practicing a sound business model. Sony in general is in a tight squeeze right now, so I'm sure they are tightening their budgets more and more...

I'm not justifying their actions, just playing devil's advocate. It's sad that this importer is gone, but inevitably another one will rise to take its place. Just a matter of time... if there's money to be made...

Play to win.

Freeter
4356th Post

"Re(1):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 04:38post reply

Lik-Sang goes bust, mod chip sites still in business. GG Sony.

*hugs bootleg collection*

Gojira
2065th Post

"Re(3):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 04:55post reply

What a pity. Maybe if Europe wasn't last to get everything related to gaming in the world, they wouldn't have to worry about so many people importing.

I don't think it has anything to do with importing software. With the delay that Sony Europe imposed on the EU release of PS3, there's a very high probability that Europeans who want a PS3 will import, since it's region-free. So, by taking out the largest retailer most likely to export them to Europe, they're pre-emptively cutting losses. It's a pretty desperate act.

Iggy
7959th Post

"SONY'S ANSWERRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!" , posted Wed 25 Oct 07:16post reply

quote:
I don't know how much these pan-Asia Japanese language versions of the games cost, but I suspect (anyone know?) that they are less expensive, which might explain the relatively cheaper prices compared to, say, NCSX.

These games are indeed less expensive than the japanese ones (like, 2$). They are also usually available one or two days earlier than the japanese ones as well.
But they are also sold at Play Asia, so...

Also, from gamesindustry.biz :

quote:
"Lik-Sang did not contest this case (i.e. they did not turn up and therefore incurred no legal costs). We have been awarded substantial costs against Lik-Sang which have not been paid," the statement claims.

"We would therefore strongly deny that our actions have had anything to do with this website closing (we assume the legal entity is still trading), and would suggest that this release is sour grapes on behalf of Lik-Sang which is aimed to belittle Sony Computer Entertainment and the British judicial system that found against them."

Earlier today, Lik-Sang announced it was going out of business, citing a series of lawsuits filed by Sony as the reason for the closure. The retailer also alleged that several SCE executives purchased import PSP hardware and software on its website.

Sony responded, "The purchasing of PSP consoles by SCE employees would be for investigatory purposes. We would also like to express our surprise at a company releasing personal information about its consumers, as this is contrary to data protection principles around the world."

Evenor
499th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):SONY'S ANSWERRRRRRR !!!!!!!!!!" , posted Wed 25 Oct 07:37post reply

quote:
We would also like to express our surprise at a company releasing personal information about its consumers, as this is contrary to data protection principles around the world."

DESTROYED.

I never knew Sony could be so vicious!

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

Maou
912th Post

"Re(2):Sony Limit Break" , posted Wed 25 Oct 08:30:post reply

quote:
DESTROYED.
I never knew Sony could be so vicious!

ZING. Then again, it would be hard not to talk about hypocricy from a client that apparently hurt your business because of its own production failures. Always funny to hear an international company so dead-set against border-crossing sales...globalization is cool for companies, unless you're not very good at providing services and goods to certain markets. Ooops.

edit: t3h sp3ll

[this message was edited by Maou on Wed 25 Oct 08:36]

Tashoku Kisune
2226th Post

"Re(1):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 08:44post reply

And so it begins. Sony declares war on its consumers.

Burning Ranger
1455th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 09:31post reply

Sega would never do this to us.

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

Maou
912th Post

"Re(2):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 09:59post reply

quote:
Sega would never do this to us.

32X for-evah.

Maese Spt
318th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Thu 26 Oct 01:03post reply

You know, there's only one thing we can do now...

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Maou
913th Post

"Re(4):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Thu 26 Oct 01:32post reply

quote:
You know, there's only one thing we can do now...

Heh, it warms my heart that pirate is still such an acceptable profession to suggest to kids even today...unless you're the RIAA I guess. Reminds me of a series I always thought would be fun to play....

Fuchikoma
1442th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Thu 26 Oct 02:45post reply

Considering that the PS3 is region free the timing of this stinks.... I guess Sony figured without needing to mod or swap people would be importing more and taking away from the domestic market.

Still I don't think Lik-Sang is doing anything illegal... I wonder if NCSX is next.

Maou
914th Post

"Re(6):Lik-Sang RIP" , posted Thu 26 Oct 03:35post reply

quote:
Still I don't think Lik-Sang is doing anything illegal... I wonder if NCSX is next.

I think that they won't have the ground to stand on with the "protecting consumers from bad voltage" thing since the US and Japan are virtually identical in that regard, plus the fact that they're primarily Japanese copies that aren't being sold cheap that NCSX deals with. Lik-Sang's Asian copies combined with crappy competition from Europe's pathetic divisions of Japanese companies probably make it much easier to target in this case than someone like NCSX.