Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Clover Studio" , posted Thu 12 Oct 19:21post reply

Well, nuts.

Pollyanna
2029th Post

user profileedit/delete message

"Re(2):Clover Studio" , posted Thu 12 Oct 19:37post reply

I wonder if this is due to mediocre sales from both God Hand and Okami. That must have really hurt on Okami, since the game seemed to be fairly high budget.

Ishmael
2644th Post

"Re(3):Clover Studio" , posted Thu 12 Oct 22:08post reply

Did any of Clover's games make money?

Now that I think about it I've always been a bit hazy on what the point of Clover Studios was. Were there differences in the management structure and the general way the games are created when compared to the methods usually used at Capcom? Was it a form of vanity press given to a group of developers to make them happy or to keep them from becoming fully independent and/or going to a different company? Is creating and disbanding in-house studios standard procedure in making games with the difference being that Clover was more high profile than most?

Maese Spt
315th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 01:00post reply

Stop the press! Clover *may be* not over yet:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2006/10/capcoms_clover_.html

Not that I'm much inclined to believe a random guy's delusions in a blog, but after reading this entry the whole disbanding affair makes more sense to me.

I somewhat didn't see how Clover style and working habits could fit on Capcom's general policy, so the poor selling figures of Ôkami and God Hand probably have been a heaven's gift for Capcom's top executives.

However, I hope this blog rumor proves true, and I wish they would have more luck as an independent studio. I, for one, will look forward to their games; Clover was one of the very few developpers who constantly strived to offer something, if not artistic, at least different to the public.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

exodus
3560th Post

"Re(5):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 01:43post reply

Hi!

Rumors abounded (prior to this announcement) that Inaba wanted to go indie and leave capcom.

This is probably just the ZOMG JAPAN way of doing it. I think Clover will be just fine.

Spoon
1368th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(6):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 02:12post reply

quote:
Hi!

Rumors abounded (prior to this announcement) that Inaba wanted to go indie and leave capcom.

This is probably just the ZOMG JAPAN way of doing it. I think Clover will be just fine.

I certainly hope that's true. To release God Hand and then spontaneously die seems just too farcical.

I'm still shocked that a game with so much money behind it and with such potential mainstream appeal like Okami could've sold poorly.

Iggy
7947th Post

"Re(7):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 05:23post reply

quote:
I'm still shocked that a game with so much money behind it and with such potential mainstream appeal like Okami could've sold poorly.

It's not that it has sold poorly, it's that a game that has been 3 years in development needs to seel millions to be even.

Now this is official, I understand God Hand : "OK guys, we're leaving this company in 4 month, let's see what we can do in 4 month".
Kinda clever.

Spoon
1370th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(8):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 14:55post reply

By the way, Iggy, have you played God Hand yet?
What do you think of it?

I've already beaten it and I love it, but it's always fun to hear your opinions.

Iggy
7948th Post

"Re(9):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 19:13post reply

quote:
By the way, Iggy, have you played God Hand yet?

No, these times I'm totally stuck in a TGS 2004 timezone.
now I'm wasting all my time on Oz.

Pollyanna
2030th Post

"Re(10):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 19:26post reply

quote:

No, these times I'm totally stuck in a TGS 2004 timezone.
now I'm wasting all my time on Oz.

What do you think? I almost loved the game, but was forced only to like it, because I feel like it needed just a little more work. I think it would have been dramatically improved if you could guard-break the enemies by calling your partners to hit them in the back. It drove me nuts when the enemies would block from 3 directions at once. I thought that's what having someone attack from behind was FOR!

Iggy
7949th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 19:28post reply

quote:
I think it would have been dramatically improved if you could guard-break the enemies by calling your partners to hit them in the back.

But... you can ? If the partner hit him in the back and not on the side, it works ?

So far, yeah, I love it. Big breasted pirates always win.

Pollyanna
2032th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 19:46post reply

quote:

But... you can ? If the partner hit him in the back and not on the side, it works ?

So far, yeah, I love it. Big breasted pirates always win.

Especially when they remind me of Kiriko from Blackjack.

I remember complaining about all 3 characters attacking and the enemies "blocking from behind" for absurd lengths of time, but if you're playing the game and guard breaking them from behind, then I can only assume that I was mistaken and either didn't know how to play, or need Sesame Street to teach me the difference between "in front" and "behind."

Iggy
7950th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 20:12post reply

quote:
I remember complaining about all 3 characters attacking and the enemies "blocking from behind" for absurd lengths of time

I think that's it, you have to attack it only from before and behind (so with two characters) ; if all characters attack from various directions a monster already blocking, I assume it begins to block everything from everywhere.

exodus
3561th Post

"Re(4):Re(10):Clover Studio" , posted Fri 13 Oct 23:58post reply

quote:

Sesame Street to teach me the difference between "in front" and "behind."

actually I think iggy is the perfect person to teach you this valuable difference. well maybe not *you*, but you know...

Shooo-rook
256th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Clover Studio" , posted Sat 14 Oct 02:16post reply

quote:
http://ir.capcom.co.jp/english/news/html/e061012a.html

where is the Q&A?

Are you slave to the blade?

Ishmael
2645th Post

"Re(2):Clover Studio" , posted Sat 14 Oct 02:46post reply

quote:
where is the Q&A?

Conspiracy theories should start right about... now!