God Hand ramble... - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (3811 Views )

Pollyanna
1995th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"God Hand ramble..." , posted Sat 16 Sep 17:55post reply

WHEEE! I got God Hand, and it's fantastic. I highly recommend it to anyone who isn't lame.

Actually, no...I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested based on the trailer. It's exactly what it looks like...the trailer isn't a glorification or anything. The only difference is that it makes the game look easy...like you're an unstoppable ass-kicking force.

But anyway...the music is fantastic, the motion capture is great, the battle system is incredibly solid, the challenge level is just perfect and there's A MIDGET SENTAI TEAM.

The camera system might turn some people off, though. It's not that the camera is BAD, though...just that you're always looking right in front of you. You always have a good view of what your character is seeing (you can't control the camera), it's just that you sort of get "locked onto" a line and if you want to turn around, you have to press a button, which takes a second. So, it's more of a gameplay element than a camera thing. It doesn't bother me (I actually like it), but I believe it's turning a few people off to the game.

You can edit you attacks move for move, and there's a lot of stuff to choose from. Putting together a good set of moves is a very important key to success, and with all the variety, it plays like a (fairly simplistic) 3D fighter. I guess if Guardian Heroes was like a 2d fighter/beat 'em up mix, God Hand is like the same thing in 3D.

The difference is, there's a tremendous focus on one-on-one fighting. The enemies don't just stand around and take your hits, they block, dodge and counter. You have to have a number of strategies for different situations, and as you can take relatively few hits, it can get quite hectic when there are multiple enemies onscreen.

As a result, you do a lot of dodging, which is controlled with the right analog. Up dodges under attacks, left and right weave around enemies, and down does a sort of backflip to get you out of harm's way (you use this excessively).

Almost every fight, no matter how small seems engaging. Each enemy can pose a threat and takes at least some level of focus to defeat. Every encounter means something...there isn't just "wearing you down until the boss". There's no backtracking, running around in large areas or experience building either...it's just solid fighting all the way through. (well, most of the way...I haven't won it yet, but I'm fairly far)

If I had to complain about something, I'd say I didn't like the God Reel (super) system. You have a set number you can do, and when you run out, you're at the mercy of random boxes to decide when you can do them again. If there were recharge points or something it would be different. Haha...but maybe there is, and I've been so desperate to just kick ass that I haven't even noticed.

Ah...the cinemas are really terrible...in a good way. The English is nearly incoherent, though. I mean, each individual line makes sense, but the characters really don't seem like they're communicating at all, and many of them (especially random guys) say things that make no sense at all ("I'm Alexander the Great!"). The Japanese subtitles make a lot more sense, but aren't really that close to the English. I wouldn't have it any other way, but it does seem a bit awkward for an English release.

Speaking of which, since all the dialogue is in English, if the US version of the game is censored (which seems quite likely), I would recommend picking up the Japanese version if you can get it for relatively cheap.

But yeah...seriously, the game is tremendously good and lives up to all my expectations. I'm sad it isn't being recieved especially well.

Replies:

Maese Spt
298th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sat 16 Sep 22:08post reply

quote:
I highly recommend it to anyone who is interested based on the trailer. It's exactly what it looks like...

Great news, just as I expected.

quote:
many of them (especially random guys) say things that make no sense at all ("I'm Alexander the Great!").

Now I'm totally, utterly and completely sold. For me, the main appeal of this game was its hilarious side, so the more absurd it gets the more I'm gonna enjoy it.

quote:
But yeah...seriously, the game is tremendously good and lives up to all my expectations.

kicking crotches + absurd lines + cheesy music + shameless Hokutô no Ken parody = ULTIMATE WIN

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Time Mage
2452th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sat 16 Sep 23:15post reply

quote:
As a result, you do a lot of dodging, which is controlled with the right analog. Up dodges under attacks, left and right weave around enemies, and down does a sort of backflip to get you out of harm's way (you use this excessively).

I like this. It looks in my head as the Viewtiful Joe dodge system translated ito 3D gameplay. Am I somewhat right?

This game looks good for sure.

VIEWTIFUL!

Iggy
7905th Post

"Re(1):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sat 16 Sep 23:18post reply

I've heard things about the difficulty of the game rather unsettling (like, "if you buy it for the ambiance, you'll regret it" or "Kamiya thought Dante Must Die should have been the default mode of DMC, and it shows").

Did you have trouble to go through it ? And also, are you good at 3D fighters (VF, Tekken) in general ?
I wouldn't want to have just the firts level of a game that may be fun but where I can't beat the first zako before the first boss.

Burning Ranger
1447th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sat 16 Sep 23:44post reply

I'm going to get it because I think it represents what games these days need--something that's a little out of the box. Thanks for the review!

Advanced Cyborg E. Branger AKA Burning Ranger

war
211th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sun 17 Sep 02:00post reply

eh

But I read so many horrible things about it!

But none mentioned abusive difficulty....... now I must try it.

Pollyanna
1996th Post

"Re(2):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sun 17 Sep 03:01post reply

quote:

kicking crotches + absurd lines + cheesy music + shameless Hokutô no Ken parody = ULTIMATE WIN

All of this is definitely there, but I would take anything I say with a grain of salt, since our tastes tend to differ sometimes. The soundtrack really is almost undeniably excellent, though. It has a lot of variety, a lot of very clever tracks, and some great rock stuff, too.

I mean...well, you might not like the game as much as me, but I'm still confidant in the statement "it promises what it delivers."

It's NOT THAT HARD! Really! Of course, I still have a bit to go, but I've actually found the last few levels to be too easy! It's initially hard to pick up (it drops you right in), and some of the arena challenges are a bit unfair (and optional), but I would say it has a tremendously fair, balanced level of difficulty. It's not as hard as Viewtiful Joe at least.

I think GENERAL 3D fighting game skill will help you out, but it's not necessary (I'm mediocre at 3D fighters in general, but I have an understanding of how they work). If your fingers are trained in any kind of fighting game and you're used to a variety of moves, then you'll take to it pretty quickly. It's not like any of the combos you do are especially complicated, you just have to react fast, and sometimes change plans quickly. People who are having problems with it probably haven't organized their moves list very well or don't play fast paced action games/fighters much.

It's most certainly NOT so hard that anyone who is otherwise interested should pass on it. There's always "easy" mode, but I wouldn't recommend it, given that normal has been just hard enough to be rewarding without frustrating me even once. The zako can and will kill you, but there's very little setback when you lose. The levels are all like short, well-managed challenges.

Ah, and the dodging system does feel a bit like Viewtiful Joe, but it's also a bit looser and faster. Definitely more forgiving. The backflip gets you out of most situations, and if you spam the high dodge, you can easily dodge every or almost every hit in an enemy combo.

Hmmm...I guess there -are- a number of Viewtiful Joe similarities I never thought of.

War, what kind of complaints have you been hearing about the game? Maybe I can either say "I can see where that would be a problem" or "That's totally bogus."

Man, the sub-bosses are so much fun...like the Midget Sentai Team, the Gorilla/Man in a Gorilla Suit Spanish Wrestler, the completely useless rock guy (and his messed up drum buddy, who has the best character design ever)...etc. The poison chihuahua was great idea, too.

Ishmael
2624th Post

"Re(3):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sun 17 Sep 05:59post reply

Thanks for the impressions! I was worried that the game was going to become lost in its presentation but it sounds like the gameplay is solid in spite of everything else being bonkers. Although I don't know how the game will be received outside of Japan -hell, I don't know how it will be received inside Japan- I'm glad to see games like this are being successfully made.

war
213th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sun 17 Sep 07:56:post reply

The negatives I've read were from 4chan posts pissed and a 3/10 gamefaqs review. Sort of self explanatory, I guess? I'm convinced the 4chan hate were trolls that pirated the game simply because of the bad famitsu score. Probably in retaliation to the "manly tears"/Hokuto no Ken fad that pops up occasionally as well.

I was planning on importing, but I think I'm going to wait seeing as the US version is going to go for $30 haha

Edit: Forgot to add the actual complaints. Most were about camera, productions values(?), and the reel system. A lot about the unforgiving difficultly too. I wasn't really interested in the game until your "rambling" piqued my interest. Game was stupidly overhyped on nearly every BBS I lurked at (youtube link to the trailer even ended up on my WoW guild's forums).

[this message was edited by war on Sun 17 Sep 08:22]

Pollyanna
1997th Post

"Re(4):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sun 17 Sep 09:49post reply

quote:
The negatives I've read were from 4chan posts pissed and a 3/10 gamefaqs review. Sort of self explanatory, I guess?

Yeah, listening to ANYONE on Gamefaqs or 4chan is like listening to a homeless drunk with a piece of his brain missing. It drives me nuts when people take Famitsu's scores as word "I thought this game was good, but since Famitsu didn't LOVE it, it must totally suck", but they're still more reliable than 4chan or Gamefaqs. (to be fair, Gamefaqs is still more reliable than 4chan, though)

As for the "production values"...well...the backgrounds suck. They completely and undeniably suck. I watched the first 2 trailers released for the game over and over without noticing, and it took someone to point it out to me on the 3rd. When I'm playing the game, the backgrounds are the last thing I'm thinking about. If you think of it as a 3D fighter with a screen full of characters, I don't think it's fair to expect much more, but for the more "background-oriented" (if such people exist)...it's quite a letdown.

They definitely could have used some better textures, though...and there's tons of popup when you're running around next to buildings (which you very rarely do). Neither effect the game much, but they do make it look cheap.

I've seen people complain about the God Reel because they can't do the move they want all the time, or because they're stupid and don't understand how it works. I don't think the system itself is a bad idea, but it's stupid to have to rely on random items to be able to use it. Most bosses have a large number of boxes in their area, and their contents are randomized. If you buy good God Reel moves, they can be the difference between victory and defeat...and then your victory is riding on what's in the boxes.

Of course, it would be repetitive if the same boxes always had the same stuff, as I think there's a lot of fun in frantically running for boxes and hoping you get what you need...but I don't like anything that gives me an unbalanced experience.

I guess it's also a bummer that the God Reel moves are so cool and you use them relatively infrequently. Given that you have to use them strategically (this is why it's good that you can't always do the one you want immediately, and it's harder to do level 2s than level 1s), I'd like it if the game was a little harder and you could use them more frequently.

Some people might say the game is too short, as well, but it's not short on -content-, it's just that it throws you in and doesn't waste a second from beginning to end. The game easily could have been several hours longer if they padded it with more useless thugs, larger (empty) areas to explore, and the ability/necessity to go back and get EXP. I think all of these things are shortcomings of many of the games that come out these days, though. You have an artificially lengthened experience with your time being wasted. I'd rather have an 8 hour game that's so tight and fun that I'll want to play it twice than a 16 hour game that's half boring.

Of course, my opinion on the game is still a little exagerrated, because I'm completely crazy about it. Regardless, even if I can't expect everyone to love it as much as me, it's not a crappy game...it's absolutely NOT a 3/10 and it's not trash.

IkariDC
565th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sun 17 Sep 21:17post reply

Ok, I'm going to pick this one up for sure, but first...

quote:

Speaking of which, since all the dialogue is in English, if the US version of the game is censored (which seems quite likely), I would recommend picking up the Japanese version if you can get it for relatively cheap.

Could you elaborate a bit in what they could be censoring in the US/EURO version of the game?

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

HAYATO
649th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 00:31post reply

quote:
Could you elaborate a bit in what they could be censoring in the US/EURO version of the game?

But Ikari... you'll end up buying the japanese version anyways!!!

Korigama
112th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 03:26post reply

quote:

Since it's already received an M rating, I don't think they'll bother to censor anything.

KTallguy
871th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(7):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 05:06post reply

It's not a bad game by any means.

Combat is fun, quite deep and very fluid, and there is a ton of opportunity for creativity and laugh out loud moments. The fact that you can customize every move you do contributes to that sense of joy when your string juggles a guy in a way you didn't think possible.

It's also very campy and the story makes no sense. But it's worth 30+ bucks if you like not so mindless beat-em-ups.

Play to win.

Gojira
2049th Post

"Re(2):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 06:03post reply

quote:
Since it's already received an M rating, I don't think they'll bother to censor anything.

There might be sex. Is there sex? They would censor sex.

Pollyanna
1999th Post

"Re(6):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 06:39:post reply

quote:

Ermm..."fuck" in one of the songs, excessive use of the word "shit" and general offensiveness to any and all groups. There is a lot of sexuality in the game, but I've seen worse.

Really, the thing is that Capcom of America is quite excellent at screwing things up for English releases. The "M" rating should cover everything, but it hasn't in the past, and ridiculous things like smoking have been taken out. Most of the games I can think of that have included potentially offensive material have been American/European made games, not Japanese ones. Somehow, those tend to get get away with less. The M rating is a good sign, though as the game definitely wouldn't make the T pass.

I'm not saying "buy the Japanese one to be safe" (unless you're really impatient), I'm just saying "wait and see if it's censored before you make your decision." I'm sure if you can wait a bit longer the Japanese version will go on sale, as well.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot...hahaha...Satan is in it, but in the dub, it's "Amra" or something. The subtitles say "Satan", though.

[this message was edited by Pollyanna on Mon 18 Sep 07:03]

Izek
140th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 08:27post reply

Just finished it on normal, I LOVE this game.

Honestly, its like the devs made the game exactly to my tastes.

One of the major flaws of beat-em-ups is that there isn't enough variation in the basic attacks, there are so many in God Hand you don't know what to choose (yes they even have Drunken Boxing moves!). Hello replay value. The God reels look damn cool.

This game hands down has one of the best dodging/evasion systems I have ever come across, makes you feel like a total badass. You have your side to side evade and backflip evade. You also have the in your face evade, basically you stand in front of an enemy and evade right there on the spot with your upper body (think the matrix dodge but without the now overdone slow mo).

It has one of my favourate soundtracks ever too, almost every track had me pumped.

This is the only game (to my knowledge anyway) that actually punishes you if you are good. Kicking a lot of ass? You'll go up a level, and not the good kind but the enemies getting tougher type. Oh and IIRC if you taunt in this game you are basically telling it "pussy! this is too easy!" and it will turn it up a notch.

I had a hell of an exhilirating experience and laughed my ass of all in one go, just brilliant.

10/10

war
213th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(8):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 11:35post reply

Yeah, I got to play the game for around half an hour last night. Died around two dozens times before I completed the first stage :)

I did hate the getting harder the better you do part. After I finally got the hang of the right analog switch, figured out how to use triangle (I was a little drunk), and how to guard crush, those one eyed things started spawning like crazy.

IkariDC
566th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(9):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 15:46post reply

quote:

I'm not saying "buy the Japanese one to be safe" (unless you're really impatient), I'm just saying "wait and see if it's censored before you make your decision." I'm sure if you can wait a bit longer the Japanese version will go on sale, as well.

Of course I will wait. I just needed to know what could be censored in the first place, so I can compare it with the contents of the US/EURO version. There are other factors, like the price and the manual, which I know it will be in black & white in the EURO version at least. In the US Capcom games, manuals are also usually black & white, right?

There is no need to rush things, Hayato.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Korigama
113th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(10):God Hand ramble..." , posted Mon 18 Sep 17:55post reply

quote:

In the US Capcom games, manuals are also usually black & white, right?

Always, regrettably (for releases on Sony systems at least, not Nintendo).

Pollyanna
2000th Post

"Re(2):Re(10):God Hand ramble..." , posted Wed 20 Sep 19:54post reply

Ah, I finished the game tonight. I was delayed due to a tough work schedule.

Really, from beginning to end, every second of the game was thoroughly enjoyable. I find irritation and dissatisfaction (in varying degrees) with nearly every game I play, but I can gladly say that God Had is perhaps the LEAST irritating game I've ever touched. It's absolutely one of the best experiences I've had on PS2.

I still stand my by "not too hard, sometimes too easy" statement. Most of the difficulty complaints come from the last 2 levels (the last level being 2 boss fights). I managed level 8 on 2 continues and no God Reel attacks (I was saving them for a challenge that never came) and beat the last boss (after 3 failures) with 2/3 life, half an overdrive gauge and 3 God Reels. I am not, by any stretch, a pro at video games (or ANY game) and can only assume that complaints about the difficulty come from players weaned on the frequently easy games of today, or people who can't manage their moveslist. (or wusses)

That being said...the game is just hard enough for me to enjoy, but I fear that I won't be able to improve my game enough to handle it on "hard".

Also...the credits are great, and I was surprised to see that a telekinetic midget character was simply named "Psychic Midget."

burning kyo
2425th Post

"Re(3):Re(10):God Hand ramble..." , posted Thu 21 Sep 06:18post reply

does someone understand how to unlock the secrets on the official site of GodHand ?

http://www.cloverstudio.co.jp/godhand/main.html

~ Flowers Blooming on the Moon Flowers Scattering on the Wind ~

IkariDC
568th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Re(10):God Hand ramble..." , posted Thu 21 Sep 06:53post reply

quote:
does someone understand how to unlock the secrets on the official site of GodHand ?

http://www.cloverstudio.co.jp/godhand/main.html

That's easy. Just go to the "secret" section, activate the God Hand mini game, smash the enemies until you get in "God Mouse" mode, and instead of hitting the enemies, smash the boxes.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Pollyanna
2002th Post

"Re(5):Re(10):God Hand ramble..." , posted Thu 21 Sep 07:09post reply

That minigame is harder than the game itself. The wallpapers suck, too (isn't there more art out there?). Ah, but the songs are fantastic at least.

Maese Spt
300th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(5):Re(10):God Hand ramble..." , posted Thu 21 Sep 07:17post reply

Well, I'm at the middle of level 2 and, so far, the game seems rather enjoyable to say the least.

As Polly said, what you saw on the trailers is what you get, not more, not less. And that's fine with me. Difficulty is challenging enough to keep you always on tension, but once you get used to the dodging system everything goes much more smoothly. I have yet to learn a bit more about God Reel tough, but gameplay is quite fluid anyway.

But man, who cares about gameplay when the scenario is so HILARIOUS!! The twin dragqueen negroes were good enough, but when I heard the Heart-wanabee big boss swearing in perfect spanish I knew this game was meant for me. Lovely. And the music is truly amusing too.

I have a lot to play yet, and I wouldn't say GodHand is the best beat'em up I've ever played, but I can guarantee it's one of the funniest games I've seen, and that means a high replay value for me. I keep playing Parodius every now and then for similar reasons, you know.

Who gives a damn about graphics or mind-boggling stories? Games should be fun, as GodHand is. ¡Coño!

P.S.
For those wondering about getting the Jap version or not, I would add that this is the most non-japanese-speaker/reader-friendly game I've ever seen, so I wouldn't have any doubt at all.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

war
214th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):God Hand ramble..." , posted Thu 21 Sep 08:46post reply

I got to play this game sober earlier this afternoon... and Jean showing up in a hood and screaming "water!!!" made me pretty hard this time around.

IkariDC
569th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):God Hand ramble..." , posted Thu 21 Sep 16:05post reply

Yeah those secret bonuses in the website are crappy. There are two wallpapers at gpara, one is an artwork, and the other it's the same but rendered in 3D. Besides that and the artwork that you can see in the "free" area of the site, I haven't seen any more art from this game, which is a shame.

I learned that you get a "God Tracks" CD with the japanese version of the game, is that the full soundtrack or a sampler? If it's the full thing is strange that it's included with the game and it's not released appart so they can cash in some more money. The little pieces of music I've heard are lovely.

I'm starting to get tempted, but until I'm finished with Yakuza, I don't need any other game. By the way, is it true that all the swearing in the US release is censored? Subtitles, the dub, or both?

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Pollyanna
2004th Post

"Re(3):God Hand ramble..." , posted Thu 21 Sep 17:25post reply

quote:

I learned that you get a "God Tracks" CD with the japanese version of the game, is that the full soundtrack or a sampler? If it's the full thing is strange that it's included with the game and it's not released appart so they can cash in some more money. The little pieces of music I've heard are lovely.

It's irritating because it's not QUITE the full soundtrack, but close. As a bonus, it's great, but it's frustrating, since it may prevent them from releasing a full soundtrack later. And even if they DO, then those who have the game will be reluctant to buy it, since the free CD has most of the soundtrack.

Argh...the lack of the end song is a shame, but hearing it on the soundtrack before winning the game would spoil it a bit. I waited until I won the game to listen to the soundtrack.

Maybe Hiroaki just did one illustration for the game, but surely there are design sheets. By the way, check out the Clover blog (on their main page) for an Okami/God Hand picture. Amaterasu wants nothing to do with Gene. Speaking of Amaterasu, I think they just released an Okami artbook, which I'll have to pick up. Even though you unlock hundreds of illustrations when you win the game, they're so excellent that I want them on paper.

The only thing I KNOW is "censored" is "Satan", which is only in the subtitles and not in the dub anyway. If they have a problem with you kicking Satan's ass, then I'm concerned that other things might get cut as well. Since the game is rated "M", I can't imagine them cutting ALL the cursing, as there's quite a bit, but who knows.

Also, I'm not mistaken about the song in the trailer having "fuck" in it, right? If they cut that (the song, not the word, of course), that would be quite a loss. Still, my favorite is the song when you fight "The Devil Hand", which I think is (the "secret) song 4 on the webpage.

KumagaiToshiro
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):God Hand ramble..." , posted Fri 22 Sep 06:45:post reply

quote:
The camera system might turn some people off, though. It's not that the camera is BAD, though...just that you're always looking right in front of you. You always have a good view of what your character is seeing (you can't control the camera), it's just that you sort of get "locked onto" a line and if you want to turn around, you have to press a button, which takes a second. So, it's more of a gameplay element than a camera thing. It doesn't bother me (I actually like it), but I believe it's turning a few people off to the game.

Have you noticed while playing it that it seems to be based off the Biohazard 4 engine? The movement system, the camera movements (especially when leaping off ledges)..it's just a bit too similar.

But, in any case, this game is great. The difficulty is up there, but it's really a matter of keeping on the move and making sure to have attacks that do guard crush. Once that's down pat, it's a lot easier. Enemies still do a ton of damage, though.

And despite being annoying as hell, the Mad Midget Five still kicks ass.

[this message was edited by KumagaiToshiro on Fri 22 Sep 06:47]

Spoon
1358th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):God Hand ramble..." , posted Fri 22 Sep 08:13post reply

I notice that you can cancel attacks (sometimes before they even start hitting!) with dodge. You can also cancel attacks after they've hit with dodge. I'm very early in the game, but knocking a guy around repeatedly with the big roundhouse kick (triangle button of your starting config) seems to work awful well.

Dodging seems to be... super important in this game.

Pollyanna
2006th Post

"Re(2):God Hand ramble..." , posted Fri 22 Sep 10:13post reply

Yeah, the camera system is a bit like Biohazard 4. It works very well for keeping you lined up with whoever you're fighting.

In addition to cancelling attacks with dodges, you can cancel a lot of moves into moves as well. I don't think guard breaks are necessary, since it you can predict blocks/attacks and act accordingly to stuff them for counter/critical damage.

I used a combo starting with the drunken punch and ending with the mach punch. I never actually got to the mach punch unless I was in overdrive, as I would usually do one or two quick hits, then cancel into a reverse-something or other kick. It had good stun, good recovery, came out fast, and allowed me to hammer the enemies with the same combo until they were dizzied. On the ground, I would use the axe kick to knock them up, and since they would usually counter the full pop-up, dragon punch, jumping spin kick combo, I'd just do the drunk punch into the reverse-something kick, knock them back and repeat.

Time Mage
2453th Post

"Re(3):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sat 23 Sep 07:18post reply

After watching this TGS trailer, I'm totally sold, if I weren't sold enough before. The backgrounds sure look crappy, but everything else is VIEWTIFUL.

And a spanking move!

VIEWTIFUL!

Ishmael
2650th Post

"Re(4):God Hand ramble..." , posted Sat 21 Oct 01:55post reply

In interviews such as this one the gurus at the late Clover Studios noted that "One of our main philosophies is that we are ultimately making games, not works of art. It has to be interesting to watch and fun when you pick up the controller to play."

What I find interesting about that quote is that a great deal of the praise Viewtiful Joe and Okami received was in response to their look. There was also plenty of discussion about how the games played but their initial hook was based on their art style and aesthetic. But now that I've finished my initial play through of the marathon dance party that is God Hand I feel that this is the game that most reflects the design feel that Clover Studios was hoping to achieve. The look of the game is only servicable but damn if it isn't the most entertaining action game I've played in a long time.

Who would have guessed that a game that obviously was put together with a short amount of time and resources would be the best example of what the studio was trying to create?