Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma area - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1958 Views )

NeoRyu
1099th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma area" , posted Tue 29 Aug 05:02post reply

I'm going to be out there in October for my sisters wedding. So any cool import game/music/anime shops to go to in that area?

Fuu is a cutie!!

Replies:

exodus
3503th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma ar" , posted Tue 29 Aug 07:32post reply

quote:
I'm going to be out there in October for my sisters wedding. So any cool import game/music/anime shops to go to in that area?

san francisco and sonoma shouldn't really have a slash between them, given they're about an hour apart in ideal conditions (which no longer exist).

that said, no, there aren't any good import game stores, and all of our anime shops are utterly standard. there's cool stuff to do, but unfortunately very little of that has to do with imports/anime.

There are nice vinyl toy shops in the upper haight area though, Kid Robot and Giant Robot both have interesting things. If you go to china town you can get lots of interesting anime bootlegs and stuff, and some overpriced official things as well (which I think are just there to make you buy bootlegs).

Good music shops, such as Amoeba in the haight area, Rasputin in downtown (hard to get there though!) and the standard EBs and whatnot.

anything else you're interested in?

Oroch
888th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(2):Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma ar" , posted Tue 29 Aug 07:36post reply

quote:

san francisco and sonoma shouldn't really have a slash between them, given they're about an hour apart in ideal conditions (which no longer exist).

that said, no, there aren't any good import game stores, and all of our anime shops are utterly standard. there's cool stuff to do, but unfortunately very little of that has to do with imports/anime.

There are nice vinyl toy shops in the upper haight area though, Kid Robot and Giant Robot both have interesting things. If you go to china town you can get lots of interesting anime bootlegs and stuff, and some overpriced official things as well (which I think are just there to make you buy bootlegs).

Good music shops, such as Amoeba in the haight area, Rasputin in downtown (hard to get there though!) and the standard EBs and whatnot.

gay bars :(

Shooo-rook
234th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(3):Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma ar" , posted Tue 29 Aug 08:44post reply

quote:

CASTRO ST!

Are you slave to the blade?

Evenor
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma ar" , posted Tue 29 Aug 09:35:post reply

quote:

Amoeba has a wonderful import section! All ther import cd's are usually at friendly prices.

Edit: If you feel adventurous , try visiting the Tenderloin, or the TL as the locals call it.

Dont wear jewlery.

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

[this message was edited by Evenor on Tue 29 Aug 09:36]

shin ramberk
293th Post

Copper Customer

"Welcome" , posted Tue 29 Aug 13:22:post reply

quote:

CASTRO ST!

The Castro FTW!

But why the frowny face??!??!

SF has gay bars/clubs for nearly every sub-culture. Leather bars, asian bars, sports bars, latino bars, white trash bars, daddy bars, twink bars, etc etc but no real bar/club for anime/vg/manga/comic book fan.

The Castro did finally get a real, honest to goodness comic book shop a few months ago. That's another good/cool/awesome thing about SF-- people in SF love comics. There's like 5 or 10 shops in this damn city.

And San Francisco State University has the newest edition of GG XX. Along with 3S, MvC2, CvS2, Tekken 5 DR, SC II, PF, GG XX Reload Slash whatever its called. But its the newest version.

PS. Yeah, the Tenderloin can be a "fun" place if you've never been to a big city. Don't go looking for manga or arcades there though.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

[this message was edited by shin ramberk on Tue 29 Aug 13:24]

exodus
3504th Post

"Re(3):Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma ar" , posted Tue 29 Aug 14:58post reply

quote:

Edit: If you feel adventurous , try visiting the Tenderloin, or the TL as the locals call it.

note: I don't call it the TL.

there's a lovely gay bar called the man hole!

kyo717
179th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Welcome" , posted Wed 30 Aug 02:25post reply

quote:

And San Francisco State University has the newest edition of GG XX. Along with 3S, MvC2, CvS2, Tekken 5 DR, SC II, PF, GG XX Reload Slash whatever its called. But its the newest version.

Actually, we lost Slash recently and GGXX has returned. It's been a while since you've been to one of our weeklies. :(

Dave Chapelle puts it best, "there's nothing tender about tenderlion" or something like that.

KTallguy
867th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(3):Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma ar" , posted Wed 30 Aug 03:18post reply

i love Ameoba too! You must go and check it out !

Play to win.

Evenor
464th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma ar" , posted Wed 30 Aug 04:11post reply

On Fishermans Warf , they have a Riptide Arcade. They have a handful of Bemani games and a KOF NEOWAVE machine.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned it but the Kinokuniya Bookstore is nice. You can find game artbooks and japanese movies/music. But almost everything there (especially the music) is expensive. If you are looking for actual asian movies, just go to China Town( just as Exodus stated). They have plenty of stores that sell bootleg DVD's and VCDs.

If you get the chance, you should go to El Toro Taqueria on Valencia street. They have some excellent burritos.

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

Variable Savior
386th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(5):Places to go in San Francisco/Sonoma ar" , posted Wed 30 Aug 09:50post reply

Perhaps I'm showing my naivete' but what exactly is a "daddy bar"?

Blood marks heaven's path

Shin Ramberk
294th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Welcome" , posted Wed 30 Aug 17:35post reply

quote:

Actually, we lost Slash recently and GGXX has returned. It's been a while since you've been to one of our weeklies. :(

I haven't been attending cause of work. Personal life has also been hectic. I know I'll come back to 3S one day. But unfortunately, not any time soon. I'm glad to hear you guys keep having weeklies though. I haven't forgotten or given up on SF-- its just life stuff yah know. :)

quote:

Dave Chapelle puts it best, "there's nothing tender about tenderlion" or something like that.

He actually said that? HA. Cool.

quote:
Perhaps I'm showing my naivete' but what exactly is a "daddy bar"?

Well, eek. Daddy = older man person. Daddy bar = bar full of older man persons.

And now that folks are recommending restaurants and stuff I have a couple of good spots.

Mexican food: Taqueria Pancho Villa in the Mission district and La Pinata in some other neighborhood who's name I forget.

Chinese food: This place by Church and 26th or 27th street.

Pizza: Pizza Orgasmica. Two locations.

Country BBQ: Missisippi Minnies. DAMN GOOD.

Califronia Fusion Noodle Type Food: Nirvana on Castro St, between 18th and 19th. In the heart of the Castro and the gay epicenter of the US of A. Don't wear tight shirts there unless you want to go home with a stranger. ;)

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Bata kun
2929th Post

"Bata-kun's SF/Sonoma study guide" , posted Wed 6 Sep 02:36post reply

The only good import games store is in San Jose and that's two hours away from Sonoma, assuming that we're dealing with ideal conditions here. Even then, that store is not that much to update. Solid selections, but overall, the store's not up to date. There's also one in Burlingame, but I haven't been there yet.

Oh. Books: yeah, go to Kinokuniya and there are other book stores as well. Food: if you're looking for Japanese, you obviously need to be at Japantown on the Geary area. Sapporo's the only place that has okonomiyaki as far as I know, but it's pretty pricey; then again, Japanese restaraunts are pretty pricey in general. Otherwise, the natives already told you where to go. There is a Jollybee's in Daly City if you want Filipino food, but you're better off going to a traditional place. Music: again, the natives already told you where to go, as you only buy the localized version of albums if you're in Kinokuniya unless you can blow out a lot of money. Shame that you're not going to Santa Clara because there are a few Korean music stores and Korean places overall.

As for arcades, you're better off going to Sunnyvale. Even then, I don't go to arcade places in this area anymore because they don't bring out any new games and by new, I mean games that came out at most six months ago in Japan. I remember SJSU getting "Espgaluda", but the game was like three when it got here, as I figured it would have been here the year before last year. You heard about the ones at SFSU. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me, but I could of sworn UCSF was trying to get "Mushihime-sama".