Street Fighter Legends: Sakura - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (27738 Views )

Freeter
4344th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Thu 17 Aug 05:11post reply

Preview

Scored it today, much better than that book of toilet paper called Rival Schools.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Ryu's online chat with Sakura is priceless

End of Spoiler

Seems like this will be a series instead of a one-shot, since there's an ad for #2 coming in September. Can't wait.

Replies:

Gojira
2036th Post

"Re(1):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Thu 17 Aug 07:52post reply

Actually IIRC it's supposed to be a 4-issue miniseries.

Great issue though, I actually laughed more than once.

GekigangerV
1265th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Thu 17 Aug 08:04post reply

I was going to pick this up over the weekend. Hopefully UDON can get issue 2 out next month.

Is it me or did it look like someone shot a load on Zangief's chest on that cover?

End of Spoiler

shin ramberk
289th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Thu 17 Aug 11:22post reply

Not to be a jerk, but they can't release SF on a monthy schedule and now they're releasing this?

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Freeter
4345th Post

"Re(2):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Thu 17 Aug 12:42post reply

quote:
Actually IIRC it's supposed to be a 4-issue miniseries.

Really? I thought the whole "Legends" deal was going to focus on a different SF char each issue. Glad to see they're giving Sakura the spotlight for a little while longer.

quote:
they can't release SF on a monthy schedule

Blame Alvin "perfectionist" Lee for that. Udon spoils him.

Gojira
2037th Post

"Re(3):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Thu 17 Aug 17:54post reply

quote:

I can't fully blame him. He may be a perfectionist, but his workload increased by 200% when Arnold Tsang left Udon. I don't know why they haven't bothered to replace Tsang, though.

Ishmael
2590th Post

"Re(4):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Fri 18 Aug 01:00post reply

It seems I'm too used to SF comics and fighting games in general being delayed so when I saw that the Sakura comic was supposed to come out this month I didn't think it was actually going to show up on time. Thanks for letting me know it's available.

Tai-Pan
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Fri 18 Aug 02:29post reply

quote:
Preview

Scored it today, much better than that book of toilet paper called Rival Schools.

Seems like this will be a series instead of a one-shot, since there's an ad for #2 coming in September. Can't wait.

Really? Ryu can do that?

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

kofoguz
444th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Fri 18 Aug 05:19post reply

quote:
Really? Ryu can do that?

Yeah and where? In his "House"?

Freeter
4346th Post

"Re(3):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Fri 18 Aug 07:01post reply

quote:
Really? Ryu can do that?

Yeah and where? In his "House"?

Hong Kong cyber cafe. Ken showed him how in an earlier SF issue. He also gave him the nick "BORING RYU"

End of Spoiler

kofoguz
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Fri 18 Aug 17:05post reply

quote:
Spoiler;

Omg LOL!
Ken became my favourite.

Stifu
332th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Sat 19 Aug 02:28post reply

Hmmmm... "Gaikyuu-Ryuu" ? Last time I checked, Dan's art was called "Saikyo-Ryu".

Gojira
2038th Post

"Re(2):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Sat 19 Aug 04:37post reply

quote:
Hmmmm... "Gaikyuu-Ryuu" ? Last time I checked, Dan's art was called "Saikyo-Ryu".

Huh? Where is it spelled like that? I think they did misspell it, but not that badly.

Stifu
334th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Sat 19 Aug 05:20:post reply

quote:
Huh? Where is it spelled like that?

Here, at the bottom. Wait, never mind... It's not a G, just a weird S... I should have noticed "School" had the same one. "Saikyuo-Ryuu"...

[this message was edited by Stifu on Sat 19 Aug 05:21]

Ikari Loona
148th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Sun 20 Aug 02:38post reply

quote:

I can't fully blame him. He may be a perfectionist, but his workload increased by 200% when Arnold Tsang left Udon. I don't know why they haven't bothered to replace Tsang, though.

Anything's better than them giving Rey more fighting-game related comics - I prefer delays to them letting him defile characters further.
I still buy the Rival Schools comic (the not-Rey covers), but it's supposed to be money for Udon to keep up the good work and pay the risks they take for it, not for that guy to spoil it.

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Freeter
4347th Post

"Re(5):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Sun 20 Aug 06:26post reply

quote:

I still buy the Rival Schools comic (the not-Rey covers), but it's supposed to be money for Udon to keep up the good work and pay the risks they take for it, not for that guy to spoil it.

I'd rather buy 2 copies of SF:Sakura and support the powerhouse duo of Chong/Dogan than waste money on that garbage.

Rey needs to go back to doing...whatever the heck he was drawing before butchering RS.

HAYATO
631th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Mon 21 Aug 08:05post reply

quote:

Rey needs to go back to doing...whatever the heck he was drawing before butchering RS.

By the looks of his "work" I seriously doubt that he used to draw anything before RS...

Oh, and those preview pages look quite good. I'll check that series out for sure!!

Ikari Loona
150th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Wed 23 Aug 07:22post reply

quote:

By the looks of his "work" I seriously doubt that he used to draw anything before RS...

Before RS he'd already put some stupid on SF and DS in the end of each issue, but he's had other lower-profile things to his name, such as a comic by the name of Sharknife or whatever.
His website has some examples of other works of his, none of which impressed me much. There was one that seemed to poke fun at typical fighting manga/anime antics, but in that case the topic was the ability of eating spicy food - not too funny, but amusing when you notice the paralel.

quote:
Oh, and those preview pages look quite good. I'll check that series out for sure!!

Same here, even if I generally loathe the concept of Sakura - she was still decently handled in the SF comic so far, and I wonder what'll Udon be able to pull off on a book centered on her.

Ishmael
2603th Post

"Re(8):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Tue 29 Aug 21:25post reply

I finally picked up the first issue and I quite enjoyed it. Any story that features Sakura's little buddy Kei taking a picture of Zangief's crotch is obviously full of the intellectual and subtle humor that sophisticated readers such as myself can appreciate. But does anyone know anything about the collection of the first 14 SF comics that was advertised in the back of the comic? Has a price been announced or a shipping date?

Ikari Loona
152th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Wed 30 Aug 23:24post reply

quote:
But does anyone know anything about the collection of the first 14 SF comics that was advertised in the back of the comic? Has a price been announced or a shipping date?

Wasn't that supposed to be a convention-exclusive item?...

Oh well... I wonder if its pages are as big as the individual comic issues, instead of as small as the 2 previous compilations...

GPA
23th Post

New Customer

"Re(9):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Thu 31 Aug 04:11post reply

quote:
I finally picked up the first issue and I quite enjoyed it. Any story that features Sakura's little buddy Kei taking a picture of Zangief's crotch is obviously full of the intellectual and subtle humor that sophisticated readers such as myself can appreciate. But does anyone know anything about the collection of the first 14 SF comics that was advertised in the back of the comic? Has a price been announced or a shipping date?

I think you have to buy it off of their Club Udon (http://www.clubudoncomics.com/SF_Main.asp) site and at the con it was something like $80.

Ishmael
2605th Post

"Re(10):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Thu 31 Aug 22:32post reply

Okay, now I'm confused. In the back of the Sakura comic was an ad for a SF collection that featured Ryu on the cover, a note stating that the run was limited to 2500 pieces and that it was only going to be available through comic book stores. Between variant editions of the same material and the small press woes that Udon sometimes suffers I'm really not sure what is actually being published.

IkariDC
551th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Kono Omoi o Tsutaetai" , posted Fri 1 Sep 00:10post reply

I'm also confused as hell, perhaps more, since I live overseas and I don't know a fuck about what's being published in america.

I was interested in picking up the Street Fighter Trade Paper Back compilation volumes (I've been waiting for this cos I'm not going to pick up normal issues). Does this new ultimate edition include both TPB compilation volumes? Does "nothing is missed" imply that every cover of the normal issues are going to be included as well? All the bonus material, etc?

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Freeter
4353th Post

"Rainbow BUMP" , posted Thu 5 Oct 09:21post reply

Issue #2 out now, too damn good. Dan is godly.

Preview

Too many good Dan scenes (flashback of him getting trounced by Ryu and Ken, missing the bus, etc.), but the scene stealer was Zangief's Banishing Fist...landing on Mika's ass

Karin action next time...can't wait!

End of Spoiler

Ishmael
2636th Post

"Re(1):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Fri 6 Oct 01:45post reply

quote:
Issue #2 out now, too damn good. Dan is godly.

Thanks for the heads-up, I didn't realize the issue was out already.

Iggy
7937th Post

"Re(1):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Fri 6 Oct 02:32post reply

quote:
Preview

I don't recognize the blond female character. She looks like R-Mika, but her boobs are too small. Is it her little sister or something ?

Gojira
2057th Post

"Re(2):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Sun 8 Oct 20:21:post reply

Not as good as the first issue, but pretty good.

Dan waiting in line at the bus stop gave me a good laugh.

End of Spoiler

[this message was edited by Gojira on Sun 8 Oct 20:22]

HAYATO
659th Post

"Re(3):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Tue 10 Oct 17:21post reply

Well, fine enough preview to me, but I guess I'll never see this in my country...thank Heavens BitTorrent exists!!!

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Darkstalkers and Street Fighter regular series? Are they still coming out at a regular pace or something?

Gojira
2058th Post

"Re(4):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Tue 10 Oct 22:02post reply

quote:

BTW, does anyone know what happened to Darkstalkers and Street Fighter regular series? Are they still coming out at a regular pace or something?

Darkstalkers is currently stopped at #6, and SF2 is still coming out on a very slow basis. #5 is supposed to come out next, but when it will come is anyone's guess at this point.

HAYATO
660th Post

"Re(5):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Thu 12 Oct 00:30post reply

quote:
Darkstalkers is currently stopped at #6,

But, is there any intention on retaking the series or did they plainly discard the project?

Gojira
2059th Post

"Re(6):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Thu 12 Oct 04:40post reply

Udon has said that they want to continue it, but what they say and how they're progressing seem to be seperate issues. At this rate we'll be lucky to see a Darkstalkers #7 in less than 2 years.

Ikari Loona
157th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(7):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Mon 23 Oct 06:50post reply

Got the comic the other day - I actually liked it better than the previous one, since it seemed less "fillerish" to me.

Can anyone guess exactly what move/game/character is the command motion (QCB, F + P) on Sakura's brother's t-shirt meant to reference?
It reminds me of the old Kamehameha motion in the 16-bit era DBZ games, but at a first glance I though it might be something from a basketball-themed character like Lucky Gluaber (checked his KoF98 movelist, not him), considering the scene what that t-shirt appeared.

Further SNK fanboyism of mine sees it as a good sign that the comic's writer appears to rank Mai over Lara Crift and Ivy, even if below Chun-Li =P - I'd really like to see Udon taking up an SNK license someday (provided they don't hand it to Rey), and this midly feeds my puny hopes.

Ishmael
2653th Post

"Re(8):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Wed 25 Oct 09:31post reply

quote:
Got the comic the other day - I actually liked it better than the previous one, since it seemed less "fillerish" to me.

Can anyone guess exactly what move/game/character is the command motion (QCB, F + P) on Sakura's brother's t-shirt meant to reference?
It reminds me of the old Kamehameha motion in the 16-bit era DBZ games, but at a first glance I though it might be something from a basketball-themed character like Lucky Gluaber (checked his KoF98 movelist, not him), considering the scene what that t-shirt appeared.

Further SNK fanboyism of mine sees it as a good sign that the comic's writer appears to rank Mai over Lara Crift and Ivy, even if below Chun-Li =P - I'd really like to see Udon taking up an SNK license someday (provided they don't hand it to Rey), and this midly feeds my puny hopes.

Unless I missed seeing a panel where his shirt is more visible I'm pretty sure the command on his shirt was .

ZamIAm
1580th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(7):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Thu 26 Oct 11:22post reply

quote:
Udon has said that they want to continue it, but what they say and how they're progressing seem to be seperate issues. At this rate we'll be lucky to see a Darkstalkers #7 in less than 2 years.

Which sucks since I thought DS was better written and that the art seemed better suited.

Ikari Loona
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(9):Rainbow BUMP" , posted Fri 27 Oct 07:26post reply

quote:

Unless I missed seeing a panel where his shirt is more visible I'm pretty sure the command on his shirt was .

You're probably right - the t-shirt design used plain triangles instead of proper arrows, so the middle one seemed to point back instead of diagonally down-forward...

nobinobita
55th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(4):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Sun 29 Oct 09:46post reply

quote:

Holy crap, it was only a minute ago that I realised that Pat Lee and Alvin Lee are different people!!! Ever since their debuts their amerimanga art just blended together in my mind. It never occured to me that they had different names.

I had a similar reaction recently when I realised that "Too Human" and "Mass Effect" were not the same Xbox 360 game.

But I digress.

I'm sad to see Arnold Tsang leave, because he was by far my favorite artist at Udon, but I think he's gone on to better things (doing concept work in Korea or something like that?).

Just look at this Onepiece fanart that he did!

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/35310488/

It's incredible!

It's going to be really hard to replace someone like him, because he was so damn talented and American comics just pay so little.

There's very very little financial reward for what the guys at Udon do. They do it because they love it probably, but after a while it must be disheartening knowing that for all your specialized skill and labor you put into your comics, you could make more money at McDonalds.

Love is great and essential, but you also have to put food on the table.

I guess that's why I respect the Udon guys so much. I don't even like their art very much, I just like that they got off their asses and are accomplishing things (and getting better as artists in the process).

Also, the Rival Schools comic stinks. It's unforgiveably bad. But Sharknife is actually a pretty cool comic. Don't let Rival Schools be your only judge of Rey. He's actually a pretty good artist (really!).

That said, I have NO IDEA why Rival Schools looks the way it does.

I guess if that's your first taste of Rey, then i don't blame you for the unbridled hatred you guys seem to feel for him.

Gojira
2069th Post

"Re(5):Street Fighter Legends: Sakura" , posted Sun 29 Oct 11:45post reply

Man, I was already a big fan of Tsang's work, and now I find he loves One Piece too? If I was Udon I would have chained the guy to the floor.

Anyway yeah, Tsang left Udon to work on art for some Korean MMO game. Not sure about the name.

Freeter
4358th Post

"Super BUMP Fighter: Mini Mix" , posted Sat 4 Nov 11:30:post reply

#3 out now...sweet as always.

Preview

-PUZZLE FIGHTER!!! Dan is too much.

-Shoma and Natsu cameo...more proof that Dogan should've done RS (as if it wasn't obvious already...)

-Karin leaving her servants behind = priceless

End of Spoiler

The big finale comes next...hope Dogan goes all out.

[this message was edited by Freeter on Sat 4 Nov 12:36]

GekigangerV
1284th Post

"Re(1):Super BUMP Fighter: Mini Mix" , posted Wed 8 Nov 11:20post reply

I am not digging this mini series. I was hoping for that Sakura would explore more street fighting, but instead has turned into a corny parade with no depth. It seems strange that after 3 issues there hasn't been a serious fight yet and it looks like the next issues fight will be just a bizarre as the rest of the series. They haven't even explained the basis for the Sakura/Karin rivalry yet.

I am just buying this book in the hopes that Udon will make a Final Fight mini series.

In other Udon news though. SF2 issue 5 might come out next week as it is on Diamond's shipping list.

HAYATO
680th Post

"Re(2):Super BUMP Fighter: Mini Mix" , posted Wed 8 Nov 17:14post reply

quote:

In other Udon news though. SF2 issue 5 might come out next week as it is on Diamond's shipping list.

Well, those really are good news!! Udon decided to keep the series going at last...

Ishmael
2673th Post

"Re(3):Super BUMP Fighter: Mini Mix" , posted Tue 14 Nov 02:09post reply

I finally got around to picking up #3 and enjoyed it immensely. If Udon put out a monthly comic featuring nonsense like that on a monthly basis I would happily buy it and have no complaints.

GekigangerV
1288th Post

"Re(3):Super BUMP Fighter: Mini Mix" , posted Tue 14 Nov 11:41post reply

quote:

Well, those really are good news!! Udon decided to keep the series going at last...

Actually its been pushed back to the 22nd

http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/expected_112206.txt

HAYATO
684th Post

"Re(4):Super BUMP Fighter: Mini Mix" , posted Wed 15 Nov 01:55post reply

quote:

Actually its been pushed back to the 22nd

http://www.diamondcomics.com/shipping/expected_112206.txt

Well, at least I got the three scanned issues of SF-Sakura in a row to keep myself entertained in the meantime...

GekigangerV
1294th Post

"Sakura Ganbaru coming to America from UDON" , posted Thu 14 Dec 06:26:post reply

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-Sakura-Ganbaru-1/dp/1897376529/sr=8-1/qid=1166045055/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-3882628-2607621?ie=UTF8&s=books

Found it while looking for SOTA figures on Amazon.

And of course so is Street Fighter Zero(Alpha)

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Fighter-Alpha-Masahiko-Nakahira/dp/1897376502/sr=1-5/qid=1166045142/ref=sr_1_5/105-3882628-2607621?ie=UTF8&s=books

Didn't see anything about RYU Final though.

Oh, I believe the fourth and final issue of SF Legends Sakura came out today. Won't get it for a couple of days though.

I hope UDON picks up Final Fight.

[this message was edited by GekigangerV on Thu 14 Dec 06:28]

Ishmael
2694th Post

"Re(1):Sakura Ganbaru coming to America from U" , posted Thu 14 Dec 06:30post reply

Considering the delays that Udon will sometimes have with their comics it could be a looong time before these come out. Still, I'm happy that I may finally get English translations of these comics!

Freeter
4359th Post

"Re(1):Sakura Ganbaru coming to America from U" , posted Thu 14 Dec 16:02post reply

quote:

Oh, I believe the fourth and final issue of SF Legends Sakura came out today.

Already scored it. Not quite as epic a conclusion as I hoped it would be, but decent nonetheless.

Dan the scene-stealer owns yet again...with the DAN GOKU SATSU...and then falls on his face

End of Spoiler

Looking forward to Chun-li next, and Sakura Ganbaru when it's released.

EddyT
554th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(2):Sakura Ganbaru coming to America from U" , posted Thu 14 Dec 17:25post reply

That's great news about the Sakura Ganbaru and SF Zero comics by Mr. Nakahira... I remember reading an online translation of the Sakura Ganbaru manga a loooong time ago and loved it. Great side story and terrific artwork.

GekigangerV
1327th Post

"SF Alpha Preview" , posted Fri 13 Apr 14:59post reply

Link Here

10 Page Preview