finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2289 Views )

Maese Spt
290th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Copper Customer

"finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan" , posted Wed 9 Aug 22:17post reply

Oh crap. I'm spending a month in Tokyo and I said to myself: "hey, why not try to find an original copy of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood now that I'm here in the realm of the second hand software stores?". Yup, good idea, indeed.

But the task seems a bit more difficult than I expected. In Tokyo I can easily find tombs of obscure guys who died some 300 years ago, a bunch of ruins from Nara period, the shogun's hunting grounds, and even a fan club of FC Barcelona... but hell, everytime I ask for a copy of ”血 の ロンド” for PC Engine, I only get empty gazes... Well, it's the same when I search for a copy of "いい 男たち” for Hayato, but I suppose a friggin' classic game should be easier to find around Akihabara or Nakano...

Anyone could give me some advice, oh wise MMCafe fellows?

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Replies:

HAYATO
629th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(1):finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan" , posted Wed 9 Aug 22:20post reply

quote:
Oh crap. I'm spending a month in Tokyo and I said to myself: "hey, why not try to find an original copy of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood now that I'm here in the realm of the second hand software stores?". Yup, good idea, indeed.

But the task seems a bit more difficult than I expected. In Tokyo I can easily find tombs of obscure guys who died some 300 years ago, a bunch of ruins from Nara period, the shogun's hunting grounds, and even a fan club of FC Barcelona... but hell, everytime I ask for a copy of ”血 の ロンド” for PC Engine, I only get empty gazes... Well, it's the same when I search for a copy of "いい 男たち” for Hayato, but I suppose a friggin' classic game should be easier to find around Akihabara or Nakano...

Anyone could give me some advice, oh wise MMCafe fellows?

Horeeey!!!!!!!! , Maese is still alive and kicking!!!! Just tell us something about your trip, I'm sure you have endured some weird experiences by now...

exodus
3491th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan" , posted Thu 10 Aug 01:12post reply

I don't know how you're having a hard time, nearly every large used game store has a copy.

Just look for the glass case where they keep the expensive games, scan for PC Engine stuff, and I guarantee you'll find it, either at a sofmap, superpotato, or MAX, they've always got one for about $200~$250 for some sucker to buy!

Maou
870th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan" , posted Thu 10 Aug 12:39post reply

Hah, or you could always cruise out to the country and buy it cheaper there! The used books-music-games-comic scene is sometimes more fun outside of the big city, and Akiba lately hasn't impressed me...I can count the stores that had "retro" games like Saturn stuff on one hand. I swear I just bought more games in quiet ol' Gunma than I ever did in Tokyo. Out there, Rondo used to be only (hah) about 10000en, which I suppose is a steal, though for whom it's not certain... Shibuya's Mandarake seemed to have a surprising number of PC Engine games next to some fairly-priced SFC games yesterday, but I wasn't paying attention and I bet Dracula would have been in a case anyway, but you never know.

人間はいつも私を驚かせてくれる。不思議なものだな、人間という存在は...

exodus
3494th Post

"Re(2):finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan" , posted Fri 11 Aug 02:59post reply

so did you go to that giant, black storefront store in gunma?

Maou
871th Post

"Re(3):finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan" , posted Fri 11 Aug 09:17post reply

Wahahahaha, you're the first person outside of Japan I've heard to ever know the secret of the お宝倉庫みたいなとこ whose name no one in Gunma ever remembers but which everyone knows by description. It's near where I used to go to high school...there's my excuse for knowing that silly place, what's yours? Though it has always had surprisingly few music CD's and last weekend didn't have really any movies either, cheap games and the occasional comic, plus, ah, fishing gear and old gachapons never disappoint! Mega CD Lunar~Eternal Blue for a "mere" 8000 was the best thing that came of that store, though I remember cheaper Draculas than Tokyo, too. Common sense prevented me from buying a 8000en Dracula to play on a 2000en Turbo Duo, though.

exodus
3497th Post

"Re(4):finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan" , posted Sat 12 Aug 10:37post reply

my excuse is I run a website that needs to know these things.

I think I'll check it out next time I'm over there.

Maou
873th Post

"Re(5):finding Rondo of Blood... in Japan" , posted Mon 14 Aug 11:41post reply

Hahah, I'd enjoy hearing a long Insert Credit review of it or another, it'd be fun to be able to point friends to articles and pictures about how ridiculous the place is. That said, that's not the same place, though given their お宝 theme they may be related. The one I know is in Isesaki, Gunma, and is very very tall with a second balcony, and now has clothes and fishing rods and rifles. The same type suspicious store-front makes it instantly recognizable to Gunma people if you describe it.

Maese Spt
291th Post

Copper Customer

"mission aborted" , posted Mon 14 Aug 19:02post reply

quote:
they've always got one for about $200~$250 for some sucker to buy!

Great, now I have one thing less to care about.

Oh, yeah, I have still to find a copy of "いい 男たち” for Hayato... but I suppose in some dark corner of Nakano` s Mandarake there would be a ton of dirty cheap hardcore yaoi stuff for a weird gaijin to buy.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Pollyanna
1958th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):mission aborted" , posted Mon 14 Aug 19:35post reply

quote:
dirty cheap hardcore yaoi stuff for a weird gaijin to buy.

Start a band and name it that. That's an order, not a request.

gorgeous
138th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):mission aborted" , posted Tue 15 Aug 16:13:post reply

quote:

Great, now I have one thing less to care about.

oh, it's not THAT expensive. hell. don't trust mr. comes-to-japan-one-week-a-year sheffield over there.

my friend bought it several MONTHS ago and only paid 12,500. which is still a lot, though if you love the game as much as you think you do, it's probably worth it.

just, uh, check super potato? much as i don't like super potato. or FURENZU.

you can also join me and stabo for gusto in akihabara on fridays we get lonely sometimes ~_~

[this message was edited by gorgeous on Tue 15 Aug 16:15]

Zepy
1273th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):mission aborted" , posted Tue 15 Aug 16:32post reply

quote:
Oh, yeah, I have still to find a copy of "いい 男たち” for Hayato... but I suppose in some dark corner of Nakano` s Mandarake there would be a ton of dirty cheap hardcore yaoi stuff for a weird gaijin to buy.

Go to the Ikebukuro Mandarake, it's BL-only. Along with a few other BL-only shops there.

exodus
3499th Post

"Re(2):mission aborted" , posted Wed 16 Aug 03:26:post reply

quote:

oh, it's not THAT expensive. hell. don't trust mr. comes-to-japan-one-week-a-year sheffield over there.

no! everyone should trust me forever, because of my HUGE BRAIN.

place all your trust in sheffield.

[edit]
P.S. Zepy, we've called you out on the front page! Now your assistance is entirely necessary!

[this message was edited by exodus on Wed 16 Aug 06:51]