Music Thread - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2111 Views )

talbaineric
6248th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Music Thread" , posted Sun 6 Aug 06:57post reply

How goes all? Just busy up here in Alaska and Canada working my 2nd contract for NCL. I go home in 5 weeks. Been a while since I downloaded any good music so I actually sprang out and bought me a couple of CD's I think are well worth a review.

The first one is the new Pharrell Williams CD. Don't know Pharrell is do ya? If not that's a damn shame. He's only one of the coolest producers/artists out there right now. Been making hits for years from Snoop Dogg to Justin Timberlake and he finally released his long awaited solo album a couple weeks back. It's really good and well worth the money. My favorite track is "Show You How To Hustle". But most of the tracks are good. He's quite the versatile beatmaker that's fo shizzle.

There's also the new Fatboy Slim greatest hits album that came out. I had to have this just because I wanted to hear "Praise You" again. (I remember the video so well.

I would have to give the new Pharrell album a 8.8 out of 10 and the Fatboy Slim one a 7.6 out of 10.

My Myspace

Replies:

shindekudasai
120th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Music Thread" , posted Sun 6 Aug 07:08post reply

You like rock at all? If so I'd reccomend looking into the new 36 Crazyfists album, "Rest Inside the Flames". Definitely their best work yet. And they're Alaskan, too!

Wither Blister Burn + Peel

Evenor
455th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Music Thread" , posted Sun 6 Aug 08:25post reply

If anyone is interested in random VK or jrock information,I'll gladly help.

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

Arngrim
170th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Music Thread" , posted Sun 6 Aug 21:10post reply

Well if you are into sweet r'n'b/hip hop, there are the albums of Rihanna and Cassey which are pretty nice.

The new album from Nelly Furtado is also very interesting. It's definetely worth a try.

No big releases to announce yet, besides the album of Pharrell, as you mentioned.

But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one that put you into the desert.

talbaineric
6249th Post

"Re(2):Music Thread" , posted Tue 8 Aug 05:15post reply

quote:
Well if you are into sweet r'n'b/hip hop, there are the albums of Rihanna and Cassey which are pretty nice.

The new album from Nelly Furtado is also very interesting. It's definetely worth a try.

No big releases to announce yet, besides the album of Pharrell, as you mentioned.

Yeah, Nelly Furtado's new album's very interesting to say the least. I like "Glow" from that album. Timbaland's beats are very different this time around.

Not a big fan of rock lately, I'm more into R&B and techno pop at the moment.

My Myspace

Black_Hayato
171th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Music Thread" , posted Tue 8 Aug 07:03:post reply

Its funny you metioned Pharrell. I recently got the Fast&Furious Tokyo Drift soundtrack. Despite being hilariously bad movie it had a great title track produced by Pharrell. The song "Tokyo Drift" features jp rappers Teriyaki Boyz who recently signed to a US label. Another great track is DJ Shadow's "Six Days feat. MosDef" from his 2002 album. I think I played that for six days straight.

Also on the cd is a diverse mix of artists that kind of work well in the whole scheme of things: Don Omar, DragonAsh, Evil Nine, 5678s, and Far East Movement (jp rappers). 8.7/10

Other than that some new things i got;

Pocket Fighter remix/Capcom Sports Club ost. - Kind of disappointing as the vampire stage themes, two of the game's better tracks had poor renditions. Also is a Capcom Fun Club cd. IDK how many more are there but I'd like to find out. 6/10

Shakira Oral Fixation 2 - Also disappointing. I was hoping it had a more of the "hips don't lie" spirit. Not nessasarily as popish, but something to move to. Plus her voice often cracks (her style) reminding me of Alanis Morisette, which is very bad. 6/10

[this message was edited by Black_Hayato on Tue 8 Aug 07:06]

shin ramberk
286th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(1):Music Thread" , posted Tue 8 Aug 07:06post reply

I've been in love with mash-ups for a while now. For the unfamiliar, mash-ups are a mixture of two or mores songs into one song. Here are some good mash-ups and links when available.

The "Grey Album" by DJ Danger Mouse-- mashes songs from Jay-Z's Black Album with songs from the Beattle's White Album.

"Last Dance for Dani" Red Hot Chili Peppers versus Tom Petty. Laptop Punk

"Just Break" Jurassic 5 versus Radiohead Motion Potion

For more mash-up goodness, just go visit Partyben.comParty Ben has PLENTY of more links to more great mash up sites and songs.

http://ramberk.blogspot.com

Just a Person
794th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Music Thread" , posted Tue 8 Aug 07:50post reply

Well, I´m not paying much attention to music nowadays (at least, not like I used to do).
But there´s a British indie band which I really enjoyed, it´s called The Magic Numbers. Great songs to cheer you up, like "Forever Lost" or "Love´s A Game"!
Christina Aguilera´s "Ain´t No Other Man" and the collaboration between Brazilian pianist Sergio Mendes and the US group The Black Eyed Peas in "Mas Que Nada" (despite the title, most of the song is in English) are also great tracks I have heard recently!

From Brazil, I´m kinda addicted to a singer named Wanessa Camargo; she recorded great songs recently, like "Amor, Amor" (kinda reggaeton-ish), "Era Uma Vez" and the absurdly-catchy "Não Resisto A Nós Dois". I recommend them! And if any people here are interested in songs in Portuguese, Jay Vaquer´s "A Falta Que A Falta Faz" is also brilliant (you can see their videos at YouTube)!

By the way, has anyone here seen the 2006 VMA´s nominees? Any opinions to share?

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

shin ramberk
287th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(3):Music Thread" , posted Tue 8 Aug 09:15post reply

quote:

By the way, has anyone here seen the 2006 VMA´s nominees? Any opinions to share?

Yeah, I heard about the VMAs. And I am completely unsurprised by them. They're all big name artists and any merit the artists have for their music is overshadowed by the fact that the VMAs are purely a promotional tool. If it weren't just a promotional tool, then where are all the indy/small bands/artists?

I don't mean to sound jaded, but its the truth. Talking about who got nominated for the VMAs is like being in high school and talking about who's going to get nominated most popular. The popular kids choose the popular kids. Simple as that.

I like almost every artist elected for the VMAs and I even enjoy watching the VMAs and Movie Awards (although I usually never go out of my way to watch either) but eh... who cares who got elected for the VMAs.

This isn't meant as a personal attack on you Just a Person. I guess I feel a little cranky. I love music but I hate the music industry and MTV is part of that abusive system.

Digitalboy
346th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Music Thread" , posted Tue 8 Aug 20:13post reply

While you are hotdogging it, I think I am the only person that liked that movie. I was watching it and they played "Rob One Rock On" in one scene. I thought that song was on the soundtrack however it was not. So I had to buy the We Came From Beyond complilation for that one song.
quote:
Its funny you metioned Pharrell. I recently got the Fast&Furious Tokyo Drift soundtrack. Despite being hilariously bad movie...

That is true. I hate MTV and the horse that it rode in on. Thanks for killing good music.
quote:
...MTV is part of that abusive system.

I don't know how to live
But I've got alot of toys...

Just a Person
797th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(4):Music Thread" , posted Tue 8 Aug 21:18post reply

quote:

Yeah, I heard about the VMAs. And I am completely unsurprised by them. They're all big name artists and any merit the artists have for their music is overshadowed by the fact that the VMAs are purely a promotional tool. If it weren't just a promotional tool, then where are all the indy/small bands/artists?

I don't mean to sound jaded, but its the truth. Talking about who got nominated for the VMAs is like being in high school and talking about who's going to get nominated most popular. The popular kids choose the popular kids. Simple as that.

I like almost every artist elected for the VMAs and I even enjoy watching the VMAs and Movie Awards (although I usually never go out of my way to watch either) but eh... who cares who got elected for the VMAs.

This isn't meant as a personal attack on you Just a Person. I guess I feel a little cranky. I love music but I hate the music industry and MTV is part of that abusive system.

I understand you... and actually, agree in some parts. I think it was really stupid that now people get to vote in every cathegory; before, you could even say that the awarded videos were awarded because they were good; now, it´s like you said, the winners will be winners because of popularity, not exactly for quality...
Anyway, my favorite part in the VMA is always the bunch of performances, so Ipm expecting to see them. Panic! At The Disco seems to be an interesting performance, as are The Killers. But after hearing lame songs like Timberlake´s "SexyBack" or Beyoncé´s "Déjà Vu" (sorry for those who like these songs), these are two performances I don´t really want to watch...

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Shooo-rook
222th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):Music Thread" , posted Tue 8 Aug 21:48post reply

quote:
How goes all? Just busy up here in Alaska and Canada working my 2nd contract for NCL. I go home in 5 weeks. Been a while since I downloaded any good music so I actually sprang out and bought me a couple of CD's I think are well worth a review.

The first one is the new Pharrell Williams CD. Don't know Pharrell is do ya? If not that's a damn shame. He's only one of the coolest producers/artists out there right now. Been making hits for years from Snoop Dogg to Justin Timberlake and he finally released his long awaited solo album a couple weeks back. It's really good and well worth the money. My favorite track is "Show You How To Hustle". But most of the tracks are good. He's quite the versatile beatmaker that's fo shizzle.

There's also the new Fatboy Slim greatest hits album that came out. I had to have this just because I wanted to hear "Praise You" again. (I remember the video so well.

I would have to give the new Pharrell album a 8.8 out of 10 and the Fatboy Slim one a 7.6 out of 10.

I despise a lot of pop in general... but I respect Pharrel since he is the brains to pretty much most of the record company today for a ton of artists...

Are you slave to the blade?

shin ramberk
288th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):Music Thread" , posted Wed 9 Aug 04:57post reply

quote:
I understand you... and actually, agree in some parts. I think it was really stupid that now people get to vote in every cathegory; before, you could even say that the awarded videos were awarded because they were good; now, it´s like you said, the winners will be winners because of popularity, not exactly for quality...
Anyway, my favorite part in the VMA is always the bunch of performances, so Ipm expecting to see them. Panic! At The Disco seems to be an interesting performance, as are The Killers. But after hearing lame songs like Timberlake´s "SexyBack" or Beyoncé´s "Déjà Vu" (sorry for those who like these songs), these are two performances I don´t really want to watch...

Pop is pop-- you can't do nothing much about it. It will always overshadow less popular but still very good material. MTV and the different musical award shows can be entertaining because of the live music, the comedians and all the crazy @#%@ they throw in (sometimes on purpose, sometimes not). Its quite an experience watching the awards shows-- it seems to me that celebrities totally lose it and fall prey to their egos once they hit the stage. But its fun...

If the Killers are performing, I'll definitely look forward to that. Although, I'm not incredibly too keen on their recent single. Maybe I need time for it to grow on me.

I love the Killers, along with Franz Ferdinand. Definitely enjoy Pharrell too and I was actually very interested in getting the Tokyo Drift soundtrack too. During the TD trailer, they play an NERD remix that I liked.

Now if only Dr Dre would finally release another album. Sheesh...

talbaineric
6251th Post

"Re(6):Music Thread" , posted Sun 10 Sep 00:33post reply

Anyone heard some of Beyoncé's newest album? There's a lot of bouncin tracks on this. Makes me think of the glory days of Motown mixed with an urban feel.

Standout tracks include "Suga Mama" and "Freakum Dress".

My Myspace

Satoshi Miwa
2779th Post

"Re(1):Music Thread" , posted Sun 10 Sep 10:13post reply

Biggest news? After 30 years Bob Dylan has a number 1 Album again. And it's over a P-diddy created girl group. There is all sorta of poetic justice to that....

shooo-rook
236th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(2):Music Thread" , posted Tue 12 Sep 02:50post reply

quote:
Biggest news? After 30 years Bob Dylan has a number 1 Album again. And it's over a P-diddy created girl group. There is all sorta of poetic justice to that....

Yeah... I saw an iPOD commercial for it mixing it with Itunes.

Bob Dylan
Album Title: Modern Times.

Also, new album to come out tomorrow, which I will recommend to everyone even though I have not heard it yet. The Mars Volta's new album, Amputechture.

Tai-Pan
151th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Music Thread" , posted Wed 13 Sep 10:45post reply

quote:

Bob Dylan

Also, new album to come out tomorrow, which I will recommend to everyone even though I have not heard it yet. The Mars Volta's new album, Amputechture.

Cant you guys go a little bit deeper than Beyonce? Im just saying, lets discuss.

"Those who follow the path of a warrior must be ready to die in order to stand for one's convictions live for one's convictions die for one's convictions"

Shooo-rook
239th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):Music Thread" , posted Wed 13 Sep 11:29post reply

quote:

Bob Dylan

Cant you guys go a little bit deeper than Beyonce? Im just saying, lets discuss.

B-Day is an amazing album..