Sensenic
1524th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Mon 24 Jul 06:03post reply

Supanishu

original link in Englishness:
quote:
Tim Burton’s future projects: “Well, I’m currently working on Sweeney Todd, which will be released in mid-2007. After that, I’m gonna start working on a new script that was sent to me recently: Grim Fandango. It sort of follows the style of The nightmare before Christmas and Corpse Bride. It’s about a surreal land of the dead, some sort of purgatory where everyone goes when they die. In that place, dead people have to make a four-year transition before they can rest in peace for all the eternity. I still don’t know when we’re going to start filming this, though.

So, it seems quite probable... and a stop-motion Nightmare... and Corpse Bride-like Grim Fandango movie version doesn't sound bad at all to me...

Comments?

Time for some long due Samus Aran love...

"It's you know like when you die and you can't quite believe it"
An undead friend.

Replies:

simonbelmont
106th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Thu 27 Jul 04:36post reply

quote:

So, it seems quite probable... and a stop-motion Nightmare... and Corpse Bride-like Grim Fandango movie version doesn't sound bad at all to me...

Comments?

I would have figured that a Monkey Island movie would have been more feasible due to the huge success of other recent pirate themed movies. Unfortunately, I've never had the chance to play Grim Fandango. But I sure do miss the days when LucasArts put out crazy/original games like Day of the Tentacle rather than milking the Star Wars franchise. But of course I can't blame LucasArts for the legions of Star Wars fans who actually buy all those crappy games.

exodus
3471th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Thu 27 Jul 08:07post reply

quote:

But of course I can't blame LucasArts for the legions of Star Wars fans who actually buy all those crappy games.

Blame them! plus, lego star wars is fun.

also I don't like star wars to begin with.

end!

Pollyanna
1926th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Fri 28 Jul 19:35post reply

quote:

Blame them! plus, lego star wars is fun.

also I don't like star wars to begin with.

end!

I don't like legos or star wars!

plus I don't even know what grim fandango is!

what am I doing posting on this topic?

I need to go to bed.

to be continued!

IkariDC
539th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(4):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Fri 28 Jul 20:43post reply

quote:

what am I doing posting on this topic?

I need to go to bed.

to be continued!

I guess you haven't played (m)any LucasFilm/LucasArts games on your PC, that's too bad! I stopped caring about PC games when the graphic adventure genre died.

So, what's the point in releasing a Grim Fandango movie now?

Mav
164th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(5):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Sat 29 Jul 04:04post reply

quote:

"Ask me about Grim Fandango."
"Iiiii don't wanna' know about Grim Fandango."

What's the point in not releasing a movie with a creative concept, these days? Hollywood's scraping the barrel with rehash ideas like Miami Vice (my prediction - bomb of the summer).

Wasn't Grim Fandango a Tim Schafer product? That guy deserves crazy Hollywood money so we can get Psychonauts 2.

CHAZumaru
419th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(6):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Sat 29 Jul 04:31post reply

quote:
I don't like legos

Not even Fabuland?

quote:

Whispers say Pollyanna is not in the Cool Kids Club anymore.

For a nitpicker you sure dress poorly.

Iggy
7830th Post

"Re(7):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Sat 29 Jul 05:14post reply

quote:
Whispers say Pollyanna is not in the Cool Kids Club anymore.

I don't know either !

But at least I love Fabuland.

Sensenic
1528th Post

"Re(5):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Sat 29 Jul 08:08post reply

quote:

Depends... if it's just another production to cover up for the lack of creativity, the point would probably be ruining the franchise... u_u

But if Tim Burton's words were true, and it's just his genuine interest in making this movie, I believe he could make a really interesting work, as this kind of ambiance (did I make up that?) is indeed his specialty.
I'd personally like to see another story set in the same "universe" but with different characters than those of the games... but don't make me start daydreaming this soon, darnit! ( >o<)

And, well, there's Maw's point too. If it gives Schaffer's team money, so they make sth else good with it, that bad be not.

An undead friend.

Pollyanna
1927th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(5):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Sat 29 Jul 15:56post reply

quote:

I guess you haven't played (m)any LucasFilm/LucasArts games on your PC, that's too bad! I stopped caring about PC games when the graphic adventure genre died.

I played many (maybe all?) of LucasArt's point and click games back in the day up until the point where computer games started using polygons. Grim Fandango, having polygons, was thus excluded.

IkariDC
540th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Sat 29 Jul 20:41post reply

quote:

I played many (maybe all?) of LucasArt's point and click games back in the day up until the point where computer games started using polygons. Grim Fandango, having polygons, was thus excluded.

I knew it couldn't be that easy to kick her out of the Cool Kids Club!

Yeah, I had that policy as well. The only 3D graphic adventure games I played are Monkey Island 4 and Grim Fandango. I played MI because I love the series and it was the remaining game I had to play. Sadly it's not very good. Tim Schaffer did an excellent job in his previous LucasArts games, so I had to give Grim Fandango a chance (that was 1 or 2 years ago ).

Tim founded Double Fine Productions when he did Psychonauts, so if someone would be making money with Grim Fandango, I guess that would be LucasArts and not him.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

Sensenic
1530th Post

"Re(6):Tim Burton to make Grim Fandango movie?" , posted Sat 29 Jul 20:51:post reply

quote:

Having prejudices, a good habit it is not.

I'd really recommend you to play it, even if it's 3D (and not of Japanese origin, might I have to add? :p ).

It is a really good Graphic Adventure (perhaps a little bit too linear, with a Monkey Island-style linearity -chapter divided, I mean, more or less-), with a wonderful story, parody of Noir movies (just like Discworld Noir, yet another piece of art), and, specially, a really wonderful and beatuiful ambiance (I'll insist with it since no one corrected me :p) and style:
Gorgeous character designs, gorgeous bakgrounds, gorgeous music...

A little extract from the game manual, which has nothing much to do with the game per se, but which I loved:
A note to all those parents and similar who will complain about all the characters in this game being smokers:
One, this game pretends to be a trustful parody of Noir movies, in which everyone did smoke, and Two: all the characters in this game are DEAD. Get the point?

LOLness.

EDIT:
quote:
Tim founded Double Fine Productions when he did Psychonauts, so if someone would be making money with Grim Fandango, I guess that would be LucasArts and not him.

Don't post at the same time! ù_u

But, yeah, I noticed that after writing that, but I decided to keep silent ^_^ Hope he kept some of the rights, somehow.

An undead friend.

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Sat 29 Jul 20:55]

Gojira
2023th Post

"Adventurish" , posted Mon 31 Jul 04:30post reply

I heard Grim Fandango had a great soundtrack, is that true? What kind of music is it?

I really need to go back and find all those adventure games I never bothered with because I had no PC back then. I think the only ones I actually played were Full Throttle and the original Monkey Island. Oh yeah, and Legend of Kyrandia, how could I forget that.

Spoon
1348th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Adventurish" , posted Mon 31 Jul 05:23:post reply

quote:
I heard Grim Fandango had a great soundtrack, is that true? What kind of music is it?

Some of the track names are spoilers, but here ya go:

Linky

I don't think that all of it is catchy, and some of it has a sound so garishly cliche that you wonder how it could be good, but in the context of the game it fits just right.

[this message was edited by Spoon on Mon 31 Jul 05:28]

Maese Spt
289th Post

Copper Customer

"bizarreness unleashed" , posted Mon 31 Jul 05:24post reply

Oh, GOD, Ikari, tell me that's not a Yugioh avatar, please...

マツケン サンバ!!!!

IkariDC
542th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):bizarreness unleashed" , posted Tue 1 Aug 03:11:post reply

quote:
Oh, GOD, Ikari, tell me that's not a Yugioh avatar, please...

I think you should know that Yugioh is the kind of stuff I tend to avoid. The one in my avatar is just a DJ from the beatmaniaIIDX games.

I'm thinking that it doesn't go along with the signature, but I can't put an entire visual band in an avatar...

Your avatar is plain awesome!

I also love this one.

GAZEROCK IS NOT DEAD

[this message was edited by IkariDC on Tue 1 Aug 03:29]