Anyone here going to Otakon this year? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2185 Views )

Red Falcon
5707th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 09:08post reply

I'll be there, as usual... going to have Hokuto no Ken and a random selection of other stuff there this time.

Best site EVER:Link Here

Replies:

Pollyanna
1913th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 09:30post reply

Well, it's a bit late to say "maybe", but I'm still strongly considering it. It's just because of Mucc though. I saw them in Japan, but...all their best albums have come since then.

I can't make a decision until I get my work schedule tomorrow, though. I was told that not all the hotels are totally sold out, they're just sold out for the "con deal".

I wonder how many people ther will know how to play Hokuto no Ken. It's sort of a "know combos and destroy the opposition or don't even bother" sort of thing.

Satoshi Miwa
2777th Post

"Re(1):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 09:46post reply

I'll be going oddly enough, as I finally escape the clutches of WOW...though I suspect they will have WoW there to play as well....

Evenor
444th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 10:20post reply

I'd go for the MUCC appearance to fully witness Tatsuro's legendary ugliness.

シュガーフォークフル

Pollyanna
1914th Post

"Re(3):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 10:30post reply

quote:
I'd go for the MUCC appearance to fully witness Tatsuro's legendary ugliness.

Yeah, but it's like SEXY legendary ugliness. I mean, you can do that, right? Be like, ugly sexy? But not nasty ugly. I think it's great that he looks MORE weird without makeup.

Have you heard their cover CD? Holy crap, it's awesome. Alas, it's unbuyable.

Evenor
445th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 11:02post reply

quote:

Yeah, but it's like SEXY legendary ugliness. I mean, you can do that, right? Be like, ugly sexy? But not nasty ugly. I think it's great that he looks MORE weird without makeup.

Exactly!I'm all for Tatsuro to continue to smear tar on his mouth and put random kanji all around his neck! Without make-up , he reminds me of a frog with down syndrome or something.

quote:
Have you heard their cover CD? Holy crap, it's awesome. Alas, it's unbuyable.

It's pretty good, but my all-time favortie MUCC release is the Kuchiki no Tou album.

シュガーフォークフル

Red Falcon
5708th Post

"Re(2):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 11:20post reply

quote:

I wonder how many people ther will know how to play Hokuto no Ken. It's sort of a "know combos and destroy the opposition or don't even bother" sort of thing.

At least three of us, ha ha ha. Fear the Raoh spike loops! And... Mr. Heart's fatness!

Pollyanna
1915th Post

"Re(3):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 12:01post reply

Evenor: Yeah, that's my favorite, too. I like it so much that until I heard Cover Parade I couldn't even pick a "second place". I like Cover Parade as much, but I feel bad saying "it's my favorite" when it's a cover CD.

quote:

At least three of us, ha ha ha. Fear the Raoh spike loops! And... Mr. Heart's fatness!

Raoh's combos made me stop playing the game. They're SO IRRITATING. It's not just the absurd damage (I mean, just about everyone can do crazy damage), it's that they're SO SLOW! I can take having my ass kicked quickly (Rei), but when I have to sit there and watch myself get beaten for so long, make a mistake on wakeup, then have to watch it again, I can't take it.

I want to like the game more, but it relies far too much on "just getting that low jab in to start whatever killer combo."

Ahhh...I've never seen anyone use Jagi well. If you happen to find a video or know any decent combos with him, tell me. I normally just use Shin, but I got tired of doing THE combo with him.

Spoon
1340th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(4):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 17:20post reply

quote:
JAGI

A person who actually knows what he's talking about wrote a genuinely good guide for Jagi at gamefaqs.

There are some actually decent jagi vs. jagi vids on youtube, but jagi vs. jagi isn't really illustrative of how jagi vs. everyone else is. There is a vid of a genuinely good Souther working some very decent Jagis over also on youtube. Jagi has some good tricks, but he needs some work and sometimes some luck to be good. He also doesn't have the SAY MY NAME super in the english version of the game, and that sucks.

Mamiya however, is genuinely good, and it's mainly her guard crush meter and poor stamina that gets her in trouble.

Pollyanna
1917th Post

"Re(5):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 17:25post reply

quote:
He also doesn't have the SAY MY NAME super in the english version of the game, and that sucks.

Whaaaat? There's an English version? And it has a super removed? That's....totally bizarre! There's like...only the ending and title screen to translate, and then they manage to mess the game up? Don't tell me they took out Ai wo Torimodose, too!?

Anyway, thanks for the tip. Last time I checked Youtube didn't have anything. I guess I should have tried again.

I love that if a tiny shard from Mamiya's instant kill hits your TOE, you die (unceremoniously).

IkariDC
537th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Thu 20 Jul 21:38post reply

You're going to have a Mucc live there!? I've started listening to them recently, they're superb!

I still can't understand why the Hokuto no Ken game hasn't been ported to PS2. What's going to be next, another revision of Guilty Gear XX?

Grave
941th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Fri 21 Jul 07:58post reply

I'll be back with the same group of friends I'm always there with... god knows why. We didn't have much fun last year, but I'm hoping this year will be different.

Excited to see Hokuto no Ken, though! Any chances you'll want to bring Warzard?

Spoon
1341th Post

"Re(1):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Fri 21 Jul 08:04post reply

quote:
I'll be there, as usual... going to have Hokuto no Ken and a random selection of other stuff there this time.

I always wondered... how many arcade cabs do you own?

I've thought of getting my own, but I'd like to talk with someone who owns and sets up his own before putting down all that cash for it. Have you any experience with superguns, and if you have, are they worth it?

Red Falcon
5709th Post

"Re(2):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Fri 21 Jul 10:55post reply

quote:

Excited to see Hokuto no Ken, though! Any chances you'll want to bring Warzard?

You want to BUY one of my three CPS3s and 3 Warzards? They're all dead, but if you are willing to replace the suicide battery it'll work again... I gave up on it though, I brought it to the last otakon and it died after I spent an hour wiring the damn sticks... CPS 3 is awful.

Red Falcon
5710th Post

"Re(2):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Fri 21 Jul 15:46post reply

quote:
I always wondered... how many arcade cabs do you own?
None, just lots of PCBs, motherboards and carts.

quote:
I've thought of getting my own, but I'd like to talk with someone who owns and sets up his own before putting down all that cash for it. Have you any experience with superguns, and if you have, are they worth it?

Yes, I use a supergun (I don't have all that much space) They are most definately worth it. Just be aware that you may need to wire sticks to work with certain games... but it is most definately worth it.

Grave
942th Post

"Re(3):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Fri 21 Jul 23:31post reply

quote:

You want to BUY one of my three CPS3s and 3 Warzards? They're all dead, but if you are willing to replace the suicide battery it'll work again... I gave up on it though, I brought it to the last otakon and it died after I spent an hour wiring the damn sticks... CPS 3 is awful.

Jeez. I remember you talking about what a pain in the ass it was, but I didn't think it was... y'know, quite THAT bad.

And then I found this neo-geo.com thread while looking around...

"Excerpt taken from Meanbean from the forums-
"All CPS3 security carts have a suicide battery. There are no exceptions to this rule. Currently, there is no method to revive dead CPS3 games and no one is working towards this end."

It's just the nature of the beast with this CPS3 stuff. The no cd version just has the information already installed on the board. The minus side to this is that if you lose the info, you might be out of luck. There are alternatives that have been cited around these forums to obtain the game info and reinstall it, but I'm not sure how that's done. The CPS3 games can have their battery changed, but this has to happen BEFORE they die, obviously."

Sounds like another winner from Capcom.

VManOfMana
654th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(4):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Sun 30 Jul 02:28post reply

I'll be going. Looking to enter the Slash tournament with one of my friends. Will also be looking for EFZ/Melty Blood comp.

Any plans for a gathering? Or will it be more of a 'good luck identifying each other' deal?

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Red Falcon
5712th Post

"Re(5):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Sun 30 Jul 03:28:post reply

quote:
Any plans for a gathering? Or will it be more of a 'good luck identifying each other' deal?

Probably the latter. Glad somebody answered though, I was wondering if anyone would actually confirm other than Grave. Speaking of which, Grave, do you actually plan on being in the game room at all this year? I don't believe I saw you at all last time... although I admittedly don't entirely remember your appearance.

Just as a question for Grave or.. well, anyone else, can you think of anything else you'd like me to provide? I was thinking of bringing Ninja Master's Haoh Ninpou-Ko... I'm always eager to try and get people to play it.

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sun 30 Jul 03:31]

Spoon
1345th Post

"Re(3):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Sun 30 Jul 07:09post reply

quote:

Yes, I use a supergun (I don't have all that much space) They are most definately worth it. Just be aware that you may need to wire sticks to work with certain games... but it is most definately worth it.

Have you ever had any issues with controller latency?

Maybe their setup was wrong, but I've heard that some people have small but significant controller lag issues when playing games on supergun.

Red Falcon
5712th Post

"Re(4):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Sun 30 Jul 07:52post reply

quote:

Maybe their setup was wrong, but I've heard that some people have small but significant controller lag issues when playing games on supergun.

Never an issue. They might be playing on a high-res TV that doesn't like the games.

VManOfMana
655th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(6):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Sun 30 Jul 14:49post reply

quote:

Probably the latter. Glad somebody answered though, I was wondering if anyone would actually confirm other than Grave.

Well, if that is the case, I guess I guess something like the following will be needed:

Light-skineed Mexican, black hair, gray backpack, Chun Li pin in the left sleeve, silver Toshiba laptop. If I am in the gaming room I will be focusing on doujin games (if its possible to use the laptop), Slash and Super Turbo/AE (if available).

If someone wants my e–mail address for further communication or cellphone number its [first name].[last name]@gmail.com. First name and last name are in the sig.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

Grave
943th Post

"Re(6):Anyone here going to Otakon this year?" , posted Fri 4 Aug 12:16post reply

quote:
Speaking of which, Grave, do you actually plan on being in the game room at all this year? I don't believe I saw you at all last time... although I admittedly don't entirely remember your appearance.

Just as a question for Grave or.. well, anyone else, can you think of anything else you'd like me to provide? I was thinking of bringing Ninja Master's Haoh Ninpou-Ko... I'm always eager to try and get people to play it.

Yeah, last year I was kind of... out of it. Bad times. Not a lot of time in the game room, not a lot of time anywhere actually. The schedule this year looks pretty bad, so expect to see a lot of us... I'm pretty sure I'll be able to pick you out.

My car broke down on I-95 and let me tell you, that's an amazing experience. Stopping dead in the middle of traffic... hoo boy. That was a nice one. Now that we're in Baltimore (finally, showed up at 10 PM), we better have a damn good time.

We're glad to try anything new or odd! Myself, I'd be interested in seeing any HNG64 stuff, or... well, the aformentioned CPS3 stuff is out of the question, I guess. Excited to see FotNS, but I've heard bad stuff.