Recent fighting game questions - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2399 Views )

Ishmael
2558th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Recent fighting game questions" , posted Tue 18 Jul 23:34post reply

I finally got a chance to try out SFAA. While the Hyper Alpha thing could have been great if it had been fleshed out to be a full game the collection as a whole is a nice package. The one thing I can't remember is whether or not Super Gem Fighter Mini-Mix [or whatever it's being called nowadays] had voices during the cut-scenes in the US arcade version. I know the Saturn version had them and SFAA has them tucked away in the sound test option but I can't remember if they were dropped from the US arcade version or not.

Secondly, has anyone tried Chou/Super DBZ? The press about the game makes it sound more like an arcade style fighter than previous DBZ games so I'm curious if it delivers on that promise. Is this the first DBZ in recent memory that's worth playing?

Replies:

hikarutilmitt
339th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):Recent fighting game questions" , posted Tue 18 Jul 23:37post reply

quote:
Secondly, has anyone tried Chou/Super DBZ? The press about the game makes it sound more like an arcade style fighter than previous DBZ games so I'm curious if it delivers on that promise. Is this the first DBZ in recent memory that's worth playing?

Believe it or not, it's a VERY fun game. It's miles and miles ahead of the ones they've (Atari and whoever) been making recently. Hell, it's the only DBZ game I can honestly say is actually good.

Pollyanna
1909th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):Recent fighting game questions" , posted Wed 19 Jul 03:31post reply

quote:

Believe it or not, it's a VERY fun game. It's miles and miles ahead of the ones they've (Atari and whoever) been making recently. Hell, it's the only DBZ game I can honestly say is actually good.

I couldn't disagree more. I found it to be one of the least fun games I've played in a while. I can see someone enjoying it, but it doesn't have a lot of depth, extras or characters. However, unlike other recent DBZ games, it has the advantage of having more variety between the characters.

So, in my opinion, the music is bad, it's ugly, it's choppy and it is NOT on the level of other arcade fighters. It also fails as a license game because it is lacking in the large amount of fan service that the other DBZ games have, regardless of the system.

I don't know if I'd say it was a better game, but I enjoyed Sparking much more, simply because it recreated the "Dragonball experience" better, even down to the music. (I'm sure Americans didn't have this advantage, though)

I dunno, that's just my opinion, and obviously, it's not the only one, but I think the game is on a level where it's safe to say "maybe I won't like it".

burning kyo
2419th Post

"Re(3):Recent fighting game questions" , posted Wed 19 Jul 05:30post reply

I agree with Polly about the fun factor of this game. Almost everything is boring in this game : the slow pace (because of the action gauge), the too few number of characters, the character customing is too limited and the freeza ruling.
It sucks even more, if each player has not his own memory card with his own customized characters.

~ Flowers Blooming on the Moon Flowers Scattering on the Wind ~

Variable Savior
376th Post

Silver Customer

"Fighting game controller question" , posted Wed 19 Jul 07:00post reply

I also bought the Alpha collection not that long ago and am frustrated to find that I don't have an adequate controller to play it with. I have three controllers - all of which are broken and/or cursed:

- Ascii Fighting Pad (#1)
PLUS: controls great except..
CON: it's broken; and continuously makes your character duck

- Ascii Fighting Pad (#2)
PLUS: 360's are a cinch, qcb X 2 works great
CON: Store supers are impossible; won't register a qcf motion

- SF Pad
PLUS: store moves and supers are a go; qcf X 2 is simple
CON: 360's are tough, qcb X 2 doesn't fly

If I could combine them into one controller it'd be great.

ANYWAY, does anyone have any suggestions on reliable (and durable) six button controllers for the PS2?? It's soooo frustrating to repeatedly fail to pull off a simple motion you can do in your sleep.

Blood marks heaven's path

Toxico
4252th Post

"Re(1):Fighting game controller question" , posted Wed 19 Jul 12:06post reply

quote:

ANYWAY, does anyone have any suggestions on reliable (and durable) six button controllers for the PS2?? It's soooo frustrating to repeatedly fail to pull off a simple motion you can do in your sleep.

As far as I know, custom made controllers are simply the best, they need some patching up every once in a while (as any controller does), but calibrating them can be such a simple job that it can be done by yourself; and spare parts are easy to come by.

The one huge drag, however is to find someone you rely enough to make the accursed thing, theorycally speaking everyone with good electronics knowledge can do the ordeal, the thing is they it has to be someone that can actually plays some games and can pull out the moves that you want to get, without testing you'll end up with a piece of crap.

Here these customs models are pretty cheap (30 us dollas a 1p one; something like 80 0 100 for a full cabinet), and since most people plays game since trojan, they end up in a great condiction and can stand a fair amount of punishment.

It's a gamble, but results can be simply the best.

See??? He is a God...

Baines
166th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):Recent fighting game questions" , posted Wed 19 Jul 12:46post reply

quote:
Hell, it's the only DBZ game I can honestly say is actually good.

I've read complaints that Freeza is overpowered in competative play. Or more perhaps more accurately, that everyone except Freeza is underpowered when it comes to dealing with defensive opponents.

It also seems to be suffering backlash from people that prefer the Budokai style of DBZ games...

burning kyo
2420th Post

"Re(1):Fighting game controller question" , posted Wed 19 Jul 17:20post reply

quote:

Sega Saturn control pad for ps2 ?

~ Flowers Blooming on the Moon Flowers Scattering on the Wind ~

hikarutilmitt
340th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(2):Fighting game controller question" , posted Wed 19 Jul 23:48post reply

quote:

Sega Saturn control pad for ps2 ?

I can't recommend this thing enough. I ordered the Vampire styled one when Play-Asia had it on sale and it's made every 2D fighter I own MUCH easier to play.

Ishmael
2560th Post

"Re(3):Fighting game controller question" , posted Thu 20 Jul 01:04post reply

I, too, recommend the PS2 Saturn pad. Ever since I got it I have to blame my own lousy skills when I make a mistake in a game instead of being able to foist the blame onto a controller that doesn't work.

Thanks to everyone for their opinions on Chou DBZ. One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that one of the things that I hated about the previous DBZ games was their slavish devotion to the source material. Games like Sparking which treated a manga plot that was obviously being made up as it went along as if it was something sacred that was handed down from the heavens to our ancestors always struck me as a bit odd. While I can see how that may appeal to some the recreation aspect was full of things that I didn't know about and held no interest for me. Any game that can free itself from power levels and constant referencing and get to the basics of people flying around hitting each other -which is what I always thought was the intial appeal of DBZ in the first place- seems like a step in the right direction.

Variable Savior
377th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(4):Fighting game controller question" , posted Thu 20 Jul 06:50post reply

quote:
I, too, recommend the PS2 Saturn pad. Ever since I got it I have to blame my own lousy skills when I make a mistake in a game instead of being able to foist the blame onto a controller that doesn't work.

Is this what you guys mean?

Ishmael
2561th Post

"Re(5):Fighting game controller question" , posted Thu 20 Jul 09:41post reply

quote:
Is this what you guys mean?

That's the one. They are pretty much identical to the old Saturn pads so if you liked the way those controllers handled you will probably like the PS2 adapted one as well.

Stifu
329th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(6):Fighting game controller question" , posted Thu 20 Jul 17:54post reply

One more Saturn pad fan here. I bought 2, and am glad I did.
Not only are they my favorite pads ever, but they're also compatible with all of my games and emulators, which wasn't the case of my previous PC pads. No need to install anything either...

Variable Savior
378th Post

Silver Customer

"Fighting game controller question #2" , posted Mon 24 Jul 11:48post reply

Okay, I'm sold on the Saturn PS2 controller but am unsure of the best place to buy one (I don't purchase alot of import stuff online). I bought my ASCII's from a site called therage or something but I can't seem to recall the URL.

I checked Play-Asia (sold out) and liksang (no listing). Toys N Joys claims to have two versions in stock - which seems too good to be true. Has anyone ever dealt with TNJ? Just wondering if they're reputable (don't want a second hand controller...).

Evenor
449th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):" , posted Mon 24 Jul 12:13:post reply

quote:
I checked Play-Asia (sold out) and liksang (no listing). Toys N Joys claims to have two versions in stock - which seems too good to be true. Has anyone ever dealt with TNJ? Just wondering if they're reputable (don't want a second hand controller...).

I personally never bought anything from TnJ, but I've read horror stories from them on Shoryuken.com a while ago.

Edit: Bingo?
http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/CS1-0007.html

ティッシュに包んだ純情
悪 趣 味 な行為を
羊が百匹 羊が百一匹 眠れない

[this message was edited by Evenor on Mon 24 Jul 12:19]

Ishmael
2567th Post

"Re(2): Chou vs Chi Chi" , posted Wed 26 Jul 01:26post reply

So I finally tried out Chou DBZ. Yes, the flying is underdeveloped. Yes, the only ways to land attacks is to either risk a throw or bull your way through your opponent's attack and land your own. But the game still feels like a decent first attempt and is fun for what it is. I was also having fun with it because it was something new. Trying to move the conventions and controller motions of 2D fighters into 3D is something that has yet to totally pan out but Chou, to me, feels like a decent attempt. Besides, any game that will throw in a move command as ridiculous as Piccolo's lvl.3 super is OK in my book. It's a shame that move doesn't seem to be transferable since I would love to teach it to Videl.

Speaking of the whole move swap thing I wonder how tier listings will work out for the game. Will it be based on default move lists, the full package you can make out of a character or on how useful each individual move is?