Movie: Pirates 2 - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2622 Views )

NARUTO
3456th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Mon 10 Jul 18:29post reply

Since it's out in US, I'm just curious to know if someone saw it, and can give me an opinion on it.
Thanks!

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Replies:

Mokona
370th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 00:14post reply

I saw it. I loved it!
It's a bit long to get started, but once it's launched, you can't get a pee-break...
Also, without revealing too much of the story, it's a Empire Strikes back kind of film, where you get a lot of character development and no real ending. (They could almost have done a preview type of thing ā la Back to the Future...)
My wife thought the effects weren't that good, but I don't see where she got that... Bill Nighy is the shit as Octopus-faced villain Davy Jones, the weirdest thing is that you can actually recognise him somewhat, lol.
The action sequences are great, and if you like your sea-monsters... just one word: "Kraken"!

All in all, it's all that you're expecting, and a great summer movie, lots of humour, lots of action. Fun times!

Blah!

NeoRyu
1096th Post

Red Carpet Premium Member

"Re(1):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 00:35:post reply

Best movie of the summer! Funny, action packed, and awesome effects. On a side not it pulled in 132 mill. in it's opening weekend making it the number 1 movie opening ever. Here's a link, [url=Number !!]http://news.aol.com/entertainment/movies/articles/_a/pirates-plunders-record-132-million/20060710065409990001

Fuu is a cutie!!

[this message was edited by NeoRyu on Tue 11 Jul 00:43]

Gojira
2015th Post

"Re(2):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 01:03post reply

Yeah, great movie. The damn thing was sold out for 6 straight shows on Saturday, I just barely made the 7th. Glad I did.

I thought it was going to be awful like most Disney sequels but after an iffy first hour, it delivers threefold. It definitely beat out Superman Returns in terms of enjoyment. It had a few of the most creative and memorable action sequences I've ever seen. I even stayed after the credits and there was an extra scene (not exactly a surprise, but still kind of funny). Good stuff.

Ishmael
2552th Post

"Re(3):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 03:25post reply

I tried to get in but it was sold out in my area as well. Who would have guessed that a glam rock pirate would not only be a major box office draw but would become a main character for the Disney company as well?

exodus
3446th Post

"Re(4):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 05:53post reply

not nearly as good as the first, but passable. the story stuttered for a while, and the cast was much more 'ensemble' than previously - it was far less about jack, and diluted over other minor characters, such as pirate henchmen, etc.

the action was not very exciting until halfway through, and it was too long to begin with. Not as much humor either.

the CG was all very excellent, and it looked pretty good at all times, but lost the whimsey of the first. Way too little jack sparrow overall.

it also ended on a classic TV cliffhanger, which was obnoxious.

and the voodoo queen was hot stuff.

Spoon
1337th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(5):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 08:01post reply

quote:
not nearly as good as the first, but passable. the story stuttered for a while, and the cast was much more 'ensemble' than previously - it was far less about jack, and diluted over other minor characters, such as pirate henchmen, etc.

the action was not very exciting until halfway through, and it was too long to begin with. Not as much humor either.

the CG was all very excellent, and it looked pretty good at all times, but lost the whimsey of the first. Way too little jack sparrow overall.

I agree with everything except that last one.

exodus
3447th Post

"Re(6):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 11:44post reply

quote:

I agree with everything except that last one.

well...just look at the girl in my sig tag :P

NARUTO
3457th Post

"Re(7):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 18:21post reply

Well I did like the 1st one so it seems that this one will be fine too. I'm not asking to much of the film ... just some fun.

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Pollyanna
1899th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(8):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 20:10post reply

Soooo...if I didn't like the first movie, I shouldn't bother, right?

I didn't really DISLIKE the first movie, but if the sequel doesn't deliver on some (notable) level that the first didn't, then I'll distract my friends until they forget that they want to go see it.

Also...something about Orlando Bloom's face irritates me.

Iggy
7805th Post

"Re(7):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 21:20post reply

quote:

It's a girl ?

kofoguz
438th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(8):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Tue 11 Jul 21:37post reply

quote:

It's a girl ?

Yeah if you check the artist's site you can see her boobs, too ~partially or full I dont recall. (just to be clear, not the artist's boobs.)
I dont recall the site either. Sure Brandon knows.

Iggy
7806th Post

"Re(9):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Wed 12 Jul 01:13post reply

quote:
Yeah if you check the artist's site you can see her boobs, too ~partially or full I dont recall.

I didn't know dirty hobos had sexual identities.

exodus
3450th Post

"Re(10):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Wed 12 Jul 01:38:post reply

quote:

I am a hobosexual.

and polly: that's correct, don't bother.

[edit]
parrots

[this message was edited by exodus on Wed 12 Jul 01:39]

Just a Person
786th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(2):Re(10):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Mon 24 Jul 12:12post reply

quote:

I am a hobosexual.

and polly: that's correct, don't bother.

[edit]
parrots

I watched it this weekend, and it's really great! I liked it much better than the first one (something I would never expect, considering I already liked the first "Pirates" a lot)! And it's really interesting how it leaves many mysteries to be solved in the third movie.
Well, about other things in the movie,

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
- poor dog... I hope it can escape from those people in the island, even though it seems very unprobable...
- what happened to Annamaria, the lady pirate from Sparrow's crew on the first movie? She didn't appear in it (or at least I haven't seen her), and she isn't even mentioned...
- and another confusing part was the kiss between Jack and Elisabeth. I remember reading that Jack Sparrow was actually supposed to be a gay pirate, but since it's a Disney movie, it couldn't be really clear for the children. But that kiss seems to deny this statement...

End of Spoiler

Anyway, great job! I can hardly wait for the third movie!

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Undead Fred
2718th Post

"Re(5):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Mon 24 Jul 15:55post reply

quote:

Yeah, I was liking the movie up until they Soul Reavered us with that crappy no-ending. There was also some cheese in the movie I didn't like (like when Jack shot those barrels), but overall, I thought it was a fun movie. Davy Jones was excellent... I found out later that he was 100% CG, which really threw me off. I figured the eyes, mouth, and body was real, but I was wrong. Heh heh. You could tell his crew was all CG, but they were still really good too. Really good work. I'm glad they kept the crowd-pleasing first-movie-referencing bullshit to a minimum, though. There was the "hello, poppet!" line, but not a whole lot more than that.

Yeah, a bit more Hunter Thompson Pirate would have been nicer, but oh well.

Dr Baghead
3606th Post

"we named the monkey Jack" , posted Mon 7 Aug 16:15post reply

quote:
Just a Person's Spoiler

- and another confusing part was the kiss between Jack and Elisabeth. I remember reading that Jack Sparrow was actually supposed to be a gay pirate, but since it's a Disney movie, it couldn't be really clear for the children. But that kiss seems to deny this statement...

End of Spoiler

There's a lot in the first movie that indicates he's not gay, the lady's aren't slapping him for stealing food you know and the fact he did try to put the moves on Liz when they were marooned on the island together. Plus if he never seemed to have any kind of attraction towards Will and you'd think if he was supposed to be gay they'd play that up even a little by having him act flirty instead of dismissive to him.

I've never heard he was supposed to be gay, unless being Keith Richards-esque is slang for gay these days. If anything he's just "ambigously foppish"

End of Spoiler

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

samson
93th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):we named the monkey Jack" , posted Mon 7 Aug 17:14post reply

I have not enjoyed "Pirates 2" very much.
It's too goofy, cartoony. Lots of thing are ridiculous (supposed to be funny), and don't serve the plot. The plot ? What plot ? The story of this movie is too lines long. Which is bad for such a long movie.

BUT there's something that makes the movie worth seeing : the Flying Dutchman's crew. They are the best thing I've seen in CGI for years ! And each one is a good idea in design...Lucas should take notes !

Depp shines as usual, I'd like to see him in more "intelligent" movies.

Concerning the dog, did you stay untill the end of the credits ?

D`Cloud
137th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):we named the monkey Jack" , posted Mon 7 Aug 22:43post reply

quote:
I have not enjoyed "Pirates 2" very much.
It's too goofy, cartoony. Lots of thing are ridiculous (supposed to be funny), and don't serve the plot. The plot ? What plot ? The story of this movie is too lines long. Which is bad for such a long movie.

BUT there's something that makes the movie worth seeing : the Flying Dutchman's crew. They are the best thing I've seen in CGI for years ! And each one is a good idea in design...Lucas should take notes !

Depp shines as usual, I'd like to see him in more "intelligent" movies.

heheh ILM did the cgi

Where Life is more terrible than death it is then the truest valor to dare to live.
the empty room

CharlesProphony
31th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(3):we named the monkey Jack" , posted Mon 7 Aug 23:01post reply

quote:

heheh ILM did the cgi

but the art team isn't the same...
and for the movie, it was enjoyable but, as lot of people complained in this thread, it was too long, and rather boring in some parts... maybe another victim of the matrix "FX Studio Demo Reel" problem?

Just a Person
795th Post

"Re(1):we named the monkey Jack" , posted Tue 8 Aug 09:05post reply

quote:
Just a Person's Spoiler

Thanks, Dr.! Yeah, I guess this reviewer who stated that is just wrong... AGAIN... (actually, I donīt even know why I believed him; heīs far from being the best source about movies...).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

NARUTO
3474th Post

"Re(2):we named the monkey Jack" , posted Tue 8 Aug 20:25post reply

quote:

Yes...waiting so long for this...@_@

Fortes fortuna juvat...

Just a Person
796th Post

"Re(3):we named the monkey Jack" , posted Tue 8 Aug 21:13post reply

quote:
Yes...waiting so long for this...@_@

No, I didnīt... I guess itīs better to rent the movie later... Does the dog survive???

Dr Baghead
3607th Post

"Re(4):we named the monkey Jack" , posted Wed 9 Aug 05:42post reply

quote:
Does the dog survive???

Debateable... he becomes chief of the cannibals.

So he survived being chased, but we all know what was gonna happen to Jack so...

Blanka and Dan make for a most excellent tag image (yeah still not funny)

Just a Person
798th Post

"Re(5):we named the monkey Jack" , posted Wed 9 Aug 09:36post reply

quote:
Does the dog survive???

Debateable... he becomes chief of the cannibals.

So he survived being chased, but we all know what was gonna happen to Jack so...

Ah, I see... If the dog is as smart as Jack, it will survive! Great! I hope so; I like him (or her, whatever) more than that stupid-evil-undead-monkey...

BTW Dr., have you read the topic on this board about the new info on MK Armageddon? Since you like the series, itīs interesting to see the news coming (especially Ed Boon announcing it will come to Wii - even though he was very skeptical about Wiiīs controller when Nintendo announced it...).

Tashoku Kisune
2199th Post

"Re(1):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Fri 11 Aug 11:43post reply

quote:
Since it's out in US, I'm just curious to know if someone saw it, and can give me an opinion on it.
Thanks!

Hmm, honestly, it was a good movie. It could've been greatly better. There were some things I could've lived without.

Plot: It could've spent more time trying to clear up some parts of the plot. It started a lot of new ideas, reopened some of the old ones, and none of them really got wrapped up.

Characters:

They brought in a lot of characters from the first movie. In fact, they brought in EVERYONE including the two prostitutes from Tortuga and the key-holding dog. I mean, even Barbosa?? That's stretching it a bit far.

End of Spoiler

The Ending: I'm sorry, but could you be any MORE obvious about a sequel? '_' It was practically beating me over the head with a frying pan SCREAMING "Pirates THREE!!!"

The good news is....

It retained a lot of the fun-filled action as the first one. You don't notice it's a 2(2.5?)-hour movie at all. The characters are kept consistent. The majority of the movie is indeed kept up to par with the first one, including the music and camera angles. I wish the humor didn't try to play on things that were funny the first time only, but a lot of their new jokes were funny enough to counter. :D

Over all, I'd give it 4 stars out of 5.

Just a Person
802th Post

"Re(2):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Fri 11 Aug 21:12:post reply

quote:
Characters:

The Ending: I'm sorry, but could you be any MORE obvious about a sequel? '_' It was practically beating me over the head with a frying pan SCREAMING "Pirates THREE!!!"

About the characters, not exactly true...

Anamaria, the lady pirate from Jackīs crew, is absent in this movie. I hope she comes back for the third one...

End of Spoiler

And about the ending, I guess it was not really a surprise, considering how it was known that Pirates 2 and 3 were being filmed at the same time. And since the third movie will not take a long time to be released (damn, it probably will even get released before the next Harry Potter movie!), probably the director wanted to let people anxious for what is going to happen next...

[this message was edited by Just a Person on Sun 13 Aug 11:46]

Ikari Loona
147th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(3):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Sat 12 Aug 03:01post reply

Was I the only one who almost expected them to be using a coffin for a row boat on the way to the voodoo lady, as in Monkey Island 2?... I recall that game referenced the ride (jail + dog scene), and the 1st movie's plot with the undead pirates easily reminded one of LeChuck's condition in that game...

I'm surprised LucasArts hasn't reeased a compilation of all of the games in the series, now that all sorts of books and pirate-related merchandise is all over the shops... at leat I haven't seen the Monkey Island games in any shop or game magazine I've looked at recently...

"Beat the machine that works in your head!" - Guano Apes "Open Your Eyes"

Tashoku Kisune
2200th Post

"Re(3):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Sun 13 Aug 10:25post reply

quote:

And about the ending, I guess it was not really a surprise, considering how it was known that Pirates 2 and 3 were being filmed at the same time. And since the third movie will not take a long time to be released (damn, it probably will even get released before the next Harry Potter movie!), probably the director wanted to let people anxious for what is going to happen next...

It was still done rather tactlessly. ^_^; There could be ways to do the same thing with more elegance.

Sensenic
1536th Post

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"Re(4):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Wed 16 Aug 03:47:post reply

quote:
Was I the only one who almost expected them to be using a coffin for a row boat on the way to the voodoo lady, as in Monkey Island 2?... I recall that game referenced the ride (jail + dog scene), and the 1st movie's plot with the undead pirates easily reminded one of LeChuck's condition in that game...

Well, there WAS a coffin-for-a-row-boat scene too ^_^U
quote:

I'm surprised LucasArts hasn't reeased a compilation of all of the games in the series, now that all sorts of books and pirate-related merchandise is all over the shops... at leat I haven't seen the Monkey Island games in any shop or game magazine I've looked at recently...

Dunno. But I read somewhere that Ron Gilbert DID complain that with this movie the similarities with MI were going too far. He even said sth like "hell, LeChuck didn't have tentacles for a beard, but I would certainly have given him if it had occurred to me".

Guess it's in his blog somewhere (too lazy to go search now -_-)

EDIT: Well, it wasn't that difficult:

Ron Gilbert's blog

Also, Pirates of the Caribbean 2: LeChuck's Revenge

Time for some long due Samus Aran love...

"It's you know like when you die and you can't quite believe it"
An undead friend.

[this message was edited by Sensenic on Wed 16 Aug 03:54]

Ishmael
2588th Post

"Re(5):Movie: Pirates 2" , posted Wed 16 Aug 04:29post reply

Ron Gilbert admits that he doesn't have an original thought in his head. Rambling on about whatever pops into your head in a blog -a journal that can be read by the entire world- continues to strike me as a bad idea.