How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits game? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2761 Views )

kofoguz
423th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Gold Customer

"How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits game?" , posted Sun 2 Jul 08:55post reply

How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits game?
Go the way of SSTenka SNK, a sequel is necessary.
I want Samurai Spirits: Maximuuum Impaaakt.
SS 64/WR. Either 3D or 2D would be excellent.
The SS RPG, once again, on a console.
A DS game. I'm sold
Surprise me.
Onslaught doesnt give a freaking damn, so am I.

Okay remember the interview, their decision will be depended of what fans want. So fans of the game, vote and let the zephyr blows.

P.S.: I'm not that fool to think of that SNK's decision will heavily inspired by looking this Café's poll. So do not say
"you think.... blah blah...SNK....blah blah..... only japanese fans ....blah blah.... Im superior and ....blah blah...I have a bigger one".

Replies:

Just a Person
779th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member+

"Re(1):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Sun 2 Jul 09:15post reply

I think a 2D version of the 3D SS games (SS64, SS64-2 and SS:WR) would be awesome! These games were so cool, but it seems many people ignored tem for being "too different"...
SNK could even put Charlotte, Kuroko and Jubei in the 2D SS64-2, since they appear in the NGPC version of it.

Although I'm not sure if SNK would bother making different sprites for the Bust version of each character (plus, the Slash version of some of them would need to be redone, like Galford), or new sprites for every character in SS:WR... (I hope I'm wrong, since 2D Mikoto and Yuda would rock!).

I can be any person in the world ... maybe I'm this person right in front of you ... or maybe I'm not !!

Evenor
440th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Sun 2 Jul 09:52post reply

SNK needs to do more RPGs.

シュガーフォークフル

Ishmael
2539th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Sun 2 Jul 10:43post reply

quote:
SNK needs to do more RPGs.

This is true. Now that they've once again gotten used to the idea of doing something different with their characters thanks to those dating phone games it's time for them to get back into the RPG market.

Baines
156th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Sun 2 Jul 13:19post reply

quote:
I think a 2D version of the 3D SS games (SS64, SS64-2 and SS:WR) would be awesome! These games were so cool, but it seems many people ignored tem for being "too different"...

Being "different" wasn't the biggest problem with SS64 and SS64-2... Most people likely never even had a chance to play them. The Hyper NeoGeo 64 was not exactly hardware that most arcades bothered with.

That they looked like early PS1 games also likely didn't help.

While people did have a chance to at least see SS:WR, it wasn't exactly the greatest game. Again, it looked like an early/bad PS1 game. And it somewhat played like one.

Red Falcon
5702th Post

"Re(3):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Sun 2 Jul 13:34:post reply

quote:

Being "different" wasn't the biggest problem with SS64 and SS64-2... Most people likely never even had a chance to play them. The Hyper NeoGeo 64 was not exactly hardware that most arcades bothered with.

That they looked like early PS1 games also likely didn't help.

While people did have a chance to at least see SS:WR, it wasn't exactly the greatest game. Again, it looked like an early/bad PS1 game. And it somewhat played like one.

None of the SS 64 games ever came out for a home system. Asura Zanmaden which is sometimes called "Warrior's Rage" and the "Warrior's Rage" PS game are not the same game and are in fact not even remotely similar; however, this is a common misconception. When it was new, it didn't look that bad (Samurai Damashii is similar to Tekken 3 graphically, albeit with less smooth animation; they both came out in 1996. Also, there were no jamma compatible HNG boards until 1999, so most arcades did indeed pass it up; by 1999, it was horribly out-dated and it was too late, yet another classic example of SNK business stupidity. I can always capture more videos again if people want to see it. As for me, I want a Samurai Spirits game set in modern times with completely different characters.

Edit: Although I'm voting "I don't give a damn" because the option is there and I know they'll never do a completely new one so long as there is stuff to recycle.

Best site EVER:Link Here

[this message was edited by Red Falcon on Sun 2 Jul 13:41]

Pollyanna
1876th Post

Gold Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(4):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Sun 2 Jul 14:46post reply

After Tenka, they've got to start over. I'm fairly tolerant of recycling, but once you do the "ultimate ultimate" of something, you can't use the same stuff and make a sequel that's less ultimate than the ultimate. If they do another SS game, it should be built from the ground up. The series feels a bit dated anyway, so it's time for it to either die out or reinvent itself.

I think Tenka was a nice compilation/ending if that's it, though. I'm not hungry for more SS, but I'd welcome a new 2D game, perhaps a year or so from now.

Iggy
7790th Post

"Re(5):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Sun 2 Jul 19:42post reply

But I DO have a bigger one !

kofoguz
424th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(4):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Sun 2 Jul 20:10post reply

quote:
Edit: Although I'm voting "I don't give a damn" because the option is there and I know they'll never do a completely new one so long as there is stuff to recycle.

Well, surprise me would work for you. You know if they make a complete new one.

Baines
157th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Mon 3 Jul 06:47post reply

quote:
When it was new, it didn't look that bad

The PS1 game looked unimpressive to me when I first saw it. (And yes, I know of the misconception. I've seen it many times online. GameFAQs even had the PS1 game listed as a port of one of the arcade games.)

The arcade games I only got to see a few years after their initial release, so I cannot comment directly on their immediate visual impact. But I can say that everyone I talked to that had seen them at release (a small number of people) were quite willing to compare them visually to PS1 games. Of the few that played them, most weren't entirely disappointed with the gameplay itself though.

Stifu
323th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(1):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Mon 3 Jul 17:16post reply

I'm a bit torn on this.

On the one hand, Tenka was so disappointing that I'd like them to try to update the game one last time, making everything right this time... (Nice presentation and artwork, many nice backgrounds, cool voices, blood and fatalities *cough* Abster, stay away *cough*, and a good looking Earthquake sprite while we're here... 100% wishful thinking here)

On the other hand, I'd love to see a fresh high-res (2D) SS game.

Pollyanna
1880th Post

"Re(2):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Mon 3 Jul 18:17post reply

quote:
I'm a bit torn on this.

On the one hand, Tenka was so disappointing that I'd like them to try to update the game one last time, making everything right this time... (Nice presentation and artwork, many nice backgrounds, cool voices, blood and fatalities *cough* Abster, stay away *cough*, and a good looking Earthquake sprite while we're here... 100% wishful thinking here)

On the other hand, I'd love to see a fresh high-res (2D) SS game.

So you're saying you didn't like the artwork, backgrounds, voice changes and lack of blood in Tenka, but the gameplay didn't bother you? So like...you want Tenka, but with a different art staff?

Rather you liked it/them or not, I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with the art or backgrounds. And if they redid the voices, what is to say they'd be any better? Would they tell the VA's "be awesome this time!" Would you have preferred they use the old voices instead?

I realize you're just saying what you want, not what's realistic. Actually, I wasn't crazy about the art in Tenka, either. I found many of the voices to be kinda mediocre as well (especially Gen-an's).The lack of blood also seemed a bit silly. However, Samurai Spirits has had mixed quality in presentation, or at least a variety of styles that tickle my fancy in varying degrees. In this case, I was neither especially tickled nor untickled, but I don't think there was anything there that ruined the game.

I would seriously lose respect for SNK for rehashing an (ultimate) rehash of a rehash for the sake of...God knows what, because I doubt anyone would still want to buy it.

Stifu
324th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(3):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Mon 3 Jul 18:43post reply

quote:
So you're saying you didn't like the artwork, backgrounds, voice changes and lack of blood in Tenka, but the gameplay didn't bother you? So like...you want Tenka, but with a different art staff?

The artwork was merely okay to me... Some voice actors were fitting enough, some weren't. As for the backgrounds, I'm not a big fan of them (some felt out of place to me, plus the very lame animations in them), not to mention there were only 10 of them, while there are 40 characters.
The gameplayer could of course get some work too, rebalancing things, making Iroha weaker and stuff. Besides, I'm bitter Kuroko only made it in the port.

quote:
And if they redid the voices, what is to say they'd be any better?

There is of course no guarantee voices would be better, but as I said, that part of my message was just wishful thinking, simply asking for "cool" voices, which doesn't take in consideration the fact they could screw them up.

But then, if you're talking about being "realistic", you could argue there's most likely no way SNKP or Yuki could come up with a kick ass high-res SS game either.

Pollyanna
1882th Post

"Re(4):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 02:03post reply

quote:

The gameplayer could of course get some work too, rebalancing things, making Iroha weaker and stuff. Besides, I'm bitter Kuroko only made it in the port.

But then, if you're talking about being "realistic", you could argue there's most likely no way SNKP or Yuki could come up with a kick ass high-res SS game either.

To me, it wasn't that Iroha was overpowered (though she was) it was that her damned spinning move took too long (to watch). Actually, a number of special moves took entirely too long and really got on my nerves. It was just especially bad with her, because she used that move SO OFTEN and it fit in so many combos.

Like, when I use Whip in KOF, I don't do her "stomp on your head" move, because it's so irritating, but with Iroha (and a few others) I couldn't stand to NOT do the irritating moves.

I might have an unnaturally low tolerance for "long" moves, though.

As for high res...hahaha...well, maybe SNK will hold out until "low res is the new high res!" I think SS really needs to be reinvented, though. I liked Tenka well enough, but I almost everything about it felt old.

Maese Spt
272th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(5):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 03:27post reply

Hmmmm, another Samurai Spirits RPG would be rather nice. Very, very nice, and very unlikely, I'm afraid.

But, if they really feel they should stick to the old fighting tradition, then I'm all for a renewed 3D formula, like they did with KOF MI. It *could* be quite refreshing and, honestly, Samurai Spirits needs fresh air really badly. I'm sick of seeing the same old, dated sprites on every new game.

If SNK wants to continue with 2D, for heaven's sake, at least organize a benchmarking study on Sammy to learn how to make interesting 2D graphics on 21st century, I say.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Abster
273th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(6):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 04:03post reply

I agree that SS needs to be reinvented. Having 10 year old sprites can only be tolerated for so long. I think they are going in some degree of originality with some of their mobile phone games, and they should expand upon those ideas into something bigger.

I wouldn't really care which direction SNKP went with SS. It would be cool to get another SSRPG, but the chances of seeing that outside of Japan are less than Zero.

I would love to see SS updated to high res, go back to some of the series more familiar trademark seriyus (Choi's seriyu for Nicotine for instance) and go back to the dark tone most SS games came with. My only problem is where this could be put into the storyline. Ukyo and Genjuro are both staples of the series and both of them die after SS64-2. If high res 2d won't do, then I can tolerate a modern 3d version like MI, and remembering back when they trademarked "SS Lineage" my hunch is that's what they're going to try to do next.

For those who want blood in SS Tenka use this template.

Iggy
7793th Post

"Re(5):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 04:21:post reply

quote:
I think SS really needs to be reinvented, though. I liked Tenka well enough, but I almost everything about it felt old.

On one hand, it had to feel old, since it was a compilation, system-wise.
Then, on the other hand, it did it all wrong. Ten Samu was the point where the series jumped the shark (even though Musôken was terrible, at least it had coherence), and it was really not necessary to bring back the pace of Ten Samu after the brilliant work that has been done on Supisupe.
Then again, Ken Samu only became the "compilation of everything because it's the last game of the series" relatively late on its development. Andrew, Iroha, some weird backgrounds and the strange, "weird because normal" pace of the game come from this different direction that got aborted before it could develop far away.
To me, more than the artwork or the sound, this is the main reason why Ken Samu stays a failure even though it's clearly the game that was the most worked upon of the 3 Yuki games.

PS : Everyone who asks for another RPG obviously never played the first ones, or are blinded by old age.
This thing should not be given a chance to spawn.

[this message was edited by Iggy on Tue 4 Jul 17:11]

Ishmael
2544th Post

"Re(6):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 10:00post reply

quote:
PS : Everyone who asks for another RPG obvioulsy never played the first ones, or are blinded by old age.
This thing should not be given a chance to spawn.

Gee, I liked the SSRPG. Then again, I've found things to enjoy in SC3 so what do I know?

YeldellGW
527th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(7):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 12:06post reply

I recall mentioning this on a similar topic on another board. The only reason I'd get excited about a new SS game is if the roster gets as major a shake-up as it did in SS3.

I enjoyed the SS RPG, but I don't want another one. I don't have the time to sit down with RPGs nowadays that are longer than say Megaman X: Command Mission.

Also, unless the majority of the 3D characters make it in as playables, don't bother with anymore dreammatches.

Stifu
325th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(4):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 15:45post reply

If Playmore fixed everything that's been mentioned about SS Tenka, and reworked the sprites to make them high-res (à la ReBout), then I'd be all over the game. It would look somewhat fresh too.

The way I see it, if they can't make a good game taking Tenka as a base, then there's definitely no way they'd be able to make a good one from scratch.
My take on it: first, fix what's there and make it really good (-> SS Tenka Special).
Once that's done, move on (-> new SS from scratch).

Iggy
7793th Post

"Re(7):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 17:12post reply

quote:
Gee, I liked the SSRPG. Then again, I've found things to enjoy in SC3 so what do I know?

They were the blandest thing ever.
I don't remember a single innovation, they were just one of those myriads of bland RPG at the time. Plus the loadings.

Pollyanna
1883th Post

"Re(6):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 17:21post reply

quote:

On one hand, it had to feel old, since it was a compilation, system-wise.

Yeah, I agree. I guess what I'm saying is "it's fine for this "final compilation", but too dated for another sequel.

Stifu
326th Post

Bronze Customer

"Re(7):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Tue 4 Jul 18:48post reply

If they bothered updating the sprites to high-res (without having to change their shape, style or animation, just like with ReBout, as I said), then the game would look alright for a "current" fighting game, and wouldn't look so sub-par and outdated compared to fresh fighters like Rumble Fish or Hokuto no Ken.
Characters wouldn't look so bad over the backgrounds either.

There's no way Playmore is going to bother doing that, but I just wish.

kofoguz
427th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(1):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Wed 5 Jul 04:22post reply

quote:
Poll

I wonder who voted for DS? Well I started to think its the best choice they have, you know if they come up with something original, they can wait for another decent 2D or 3D ss fighter.

Anyway I guess theyre gonna go 3D and experiment on extra outfits. I can imagine modern day outfits on characters.
Haohmaru in suits.

Iggy
7796th Post

"Re(2):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Wed 5 Jul 04:51post reply

quote:
Poll
I wonder who voted for DS? Well I started to think its the best choice they have, you know if they come up with something original, they can wait for another decent 2D or 3D ss fighter.

The problem with the DS is that they can't use the wifi functionalities, and they don't think fighting game on a portable console are worth it (which I agree with).
That doesn't leave much... Even Card Fighters means little without wifi.

kofoguz
428th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Wed 5 Jul 05:38post reply

quote:
The problem with the DS is that they can't use the wifi functionalities, and they don't think fighting game on a portable console are worth it (which I agree with).

Well maybe they should think of an 1P friendly non-fighter game. Like puzzle or something.

Pollyanna
1887th Post

"Re(3):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Wed 5 Jul 06:16post reply

quote:

Why wouldn't it have wifi support? Card Fighters won't?

Bleach DS taught me that good 2D fighters are quite possible on DS.

Baines
158th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(2):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Wed 5 Jul 07:34post reply

quote:
Anyway I guess theyre gonna go 3D and experiment on extra outfits. I can imagine modern day outfits on characters.

I'd like to see SS go 3D again, *if* SNKP actually learns how to do a solid 3D game that doesn't rely on franchise status to sell. (Hi, KOF:MI... Kind of funny they didn't make you Fatal Fury: MI...)

They could then get away with a clean start on an alternate universe. The SS storyline became a shambles anyway after it was tossed out the window for SS3 and then stomped to death by everything after SS3... It *needs* a clean start.

Then they could bring in whatever designs they wanted, without having to try to shove the game numerically somewhere between existing games in order to pretend to acknowledge set character deaths. Heck, they could even bring in and PS1 SS:WR designs they liked.

They could even acknowledge characters like Amakusa and Mizuki without ever having released new 3D games with them as end bosses, by vaguely saying things happened with them kind of like happened in the 2D games, but not exactly...

Iggy
7798th Post

"Re(4):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Wed 5 Jul 19:15post reply

quote:

It won't.
Small companies like SNK don't have the logistics to build a decent wifi support, thanks to Nintendo's usual assholiness.

kofoguz
429th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(5):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Wed 5 Jul 20:32post reply

quote:
It won't.
Small companies like SNK don't have the logistics to build a decent wifi support, thanks to Nintendo's usual assholiness.

Isnt this absurd? I mean its a must buy for me but if I cant play against someone whats the point other than the having great time only by myself again...

Ishmael
2546th Post

"Re(8):How d'you like your new Samurai Spirits" , posted Wed 5 Jul 23:42post reply

quote:
I don't remember a single innovation, they were just one of those myriads of bland RPG at the time. Plus the loadings.

I think the big gimmick of the game was that you could do special moves via controller inputs. But since that was silly I suspect most people shut that option off.

Now that I think about it more, one thing that the SSRPG did that I liked was that you could choose between six different main characters. Far too many RPG's saddle you with a main character who is usually some emo kid or a generic clown with a sword. The ability to choose my party based on my preferences instead of plot contrivences is something you don't always see from that genre of games. Come to think of it you don't often see that sort of thing from SNK either since a good number of their fighting games have an obvious hero that the rest of the game revolves around.

Maese Spt
273th Post

Copper Customer

"to rpg or not to rpg" , posted Thu 6 Jul 03:16post reply

quote:

You have a point there, but I'm not saying "I want ye olde SS RPG a bit updated and redone".

What I like most about Samurai Spirits is the ghostly Edo jidai atmosphere. Archetypical as they are, some characters and their respective backgrounds are pretty enjoyable as well, so I've always felt their stories were worth to be told on a deeper, more comprehensive way than the usual few pics with a catchphrase after you beat the crap out of the mandatory final boss.

On a nutshell, Samurai Spirits' world seems attractive enough to be developed under the form of an RPG, and it could be a fun game as well. But that's only wishful thinking on a thread about wishful thinking, I'm afraid.

マツケン サンバ!!!!

Baines
159th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):to rpg or not to rpg" , posted Thu 6 Jul 13:05post reply

I liked how SSRPG tried to give more detail to the first two games, back when SNK stood out for its story work.

Yes, it didn't end up being canon, but it was great seeing Cham Cham mistake the transformed Tam Tam for her pet Paku Paku.

And it was nice how Amakusa was treated. Not entirely evil. And not a being that got split into a good and an evil version. Rather a guy who did have a reason to be angry, who made a bad choice, and who ultimately found redemption.

Being able to pick your starting character was nice. The expansion of your specials was also interesting to see.