Superman Returns - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2325 Views )

GekigangerV
1249th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Superman Returns" , posted Sat 1 Jul 07:51post reply

Saw it, loved it. One of the best superhero movies around. The dialogue is definetly leagues above Spider-Man's and the special effects are great as well. I recommend it.

Spoiler (Highlight to view) -
Did anyone else think Floating Continent from FF6 in that one scene?

End of Spoiler

Replies:

GPA
22th Post

New Customer

"Re(1):Superman Returns" , posted Sat 1 Jul 14:01post reply

I dunno... I left the theater kind of ho-hum about it. I think I was really into it up till the point where Lex was setting his plan into motion. I think Routh did a good job as Superman, but I think it would've been better had the Lex/Superman antagony been fleshed out a lot more. It was good, but in my book Spidey 2 and Batman Begins are still better.

I think my main gripe was probably that (Superchild stuff aside) Superman did alot of Ex Dues Machina rescuing of people, and after the third time he did it, it got really boring. He didn't have anyone on equal footing to fight with him, and so his big fight scene he pretty much gets the crap beaten out of him by normal thugs with no dialoge. And while I do understand that this was done to reintroduce Superman with out the threat of another major villian cramping the film, I do think it was slightly lackluster.

End of Spoiler

Gojira
2009th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(2):Superman Returns" , posted Sat 1 Jul 18:00post reply

Well the direction and special effects were great. The writing was what you'd expect from a script that's been rewritten about 50 times over the last 15 years. I was kind of surprised at the liberties that were taken with it though.

kofoguz
420th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):Superman Returns" , posted Sat 1 Jul 19:11post reply

quote:
Well the direction and special effects were great. The writing was what you'd expect from a script that's been rewritten about 50 times over the last 15 years. I was kind of surprised at the liberties that were taken with it though.

Here we go again.

Spoon
1334th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(1):Superman Returns" , posted Sun 2 Jul 02:00post reply

Oh Lex Luthor,

you just had to stab him in the back and throw him off a cliff like a classic villain, rather than slitting his throat and mutilating his body until death was certain.

End of Spoiler

Undead Fred
2705th Post

"WRONG!!!" , posted Sun 2 Jul 05:37post reply

quote:
I dunno... I left the theater kind of ho-hum about it. I think I was really into it up till the point where Lex was setting his plan into motion. I think Routh did a good job as Superman, but I think it would've been better had the Lex/Superman antagony been fleshed out a lot more. It was good, but in my book Spidey 2 and Batman Begins are still better.

(SPOILER)

Yeah, that's pretty much where I stood with the movie- I liked it and thought it was well-done and everything, but I would have liked just a little more focus in the movie instead of Lex, then Lois, then back to Lex, then preventing a random car wreck, then Daily Planet, then... you know what I mean. It just seemed a little disjointed to me. I saw the movie with a die-hard Superman fan that loved the movie, so I guess they're doing something right, though. Heh heh. Not a bad movie.

That bullet bouncing off of his eyeball was a very nice touch in that robbery sequence. Heh heh heh.

End of Spoiler

ONSLAUGHT
3603th Post

"Re(1):WRONG!!!" , posted Sun 2 Jul 11:50post reply

quote:

(SPOILER)

Does it look like this?
http://img151.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc138&image=61397_Hyperion.JPG

Undead Fred
2708th Post

"Re(2):WRONG!!!" , posted Sun 2 Jul 12:09post reply

quote:

(SPOILER)

Does it look like this?
http://img151.imagevenue.com/img.php?loc=loc138&image=61397_Hyperion.JPG

Heh heh. Pretty close... except there weren't any naked women involved.

Ishmael
2542th Post

"Stalkerman Returns" , posted Mon 3 Jul 09:34post reply

The sequence where Superman swoops in and saves an airplane is as thrilling and iconic a moment as any in Superman's history. It epitomizes what makes the character work; selfless heroism combined with the ability to make the impossible possible. It makes you not only believe that a man can fly [to quote the 1978 movie's tag line] but makes you feel that Superman is relevant and amazing.

The film then proceeds to suck wind for another two hours.

Why does the film build off the first two Superman movies when they honestly weren't all that good? Why does Superman Returns follow the exact same plot structure as the first movie? When did Superman become a creepy stalker? I wanted to like the film more than I did but since it was built using the Peter Jackson school of film-making with an interminable running time and several false endings I ended up leaving the theater thinking more about how my legs were cramping up from sitting for so long as opposed to marveling at the adventures of the last son of Krypton. It wasn't a bad film but the movie makers seemed to be so enamored with their story that they were unwilling to leave anything out.

Undead Fred
2711th Post

"Re(1):Stalkerman Returns" , posted Mon 3 Jul 12:05:post reply

quote:
Why does the film build off the first two Superman movies when they honestly weren't all that good? Why does Superman Returns follow the exact same plot structure as the first movie? When did Superman become a creepy stalker? I wanted to like the film more than I did but since it was built using the Peter Jackson school of film-making with an interminable running time and several false endings I ended up leaving the theater thinking more about how my legs were cramping up from sitting for so long as opposed to marveling at the adventures of the last son of Krypton. It wasn't a bad film but the movie makers seemed to be so enamored with their story that they were unwilling to leave anything out.

Heh heh heh. Yeah, it kind of wandered around a bit and didn't really seem to know where it was going, I guess. The movie wasn't BAD, but I wasn't really excited about it after finishing it. And those scenes where Superman was hiding in the bushes watching Lois at her house... I kept turning to the people I was with and going "Creepyyyyy! Scaryyyyy!" in that Jim Gaffigan whisper.

SUPERMAN IS WATCHING YOU PEE

EDIT: Wow, I'm repetitive.

[this message was edited by Undead Fred on Mon 3 Jul 12:09]

sushi_bunny
398th Post

Silver Customer

"Credit to Christopher Reeve" , posted Mon 3 Jul 13:38post reply

At least at the credits they have:

"This film is dedicated with Love and Respect for Christopher and Dana Reeve."

I still think Christopher Reeve is the best Superman ever. It's kinda eerie that this new guy has a near resemblance to him. He is a real Superman since he went through a lot in his life.

Sushi

sushi_bunny
401th Post

Gold Customer

"Kumar in Superman Returns." , posted Fri 7 Jul 08:06post reply

I can't believe they casted him (Kal Penn) in this film, although he didn't have much to say.

Sushi