PSP suggestions? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2086 Views )

Undead Fred
2703th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"PSP suggestions?" , posted Thu 29 Jun 14:46post reply

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for more PSP games to get... I was thinking about MAYBE getting another in the near future and wanted to know what else was worth getting. I've got Metal Gear Ac!d, Me and My Katamari, and Death Jr.... I haven't beaten Metal Gear yet, so Ac!d 2's out for now. I've got Liberty City Stories on PS2 instead since it's only $20, too... I knew there were a couple of Mega Man games and old Capcom fighter ports, but I guess I was looking for someone to endorse those before I considered them. Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Replies:

Pollyanna
1865th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(1):PSP suggestions?" , posted Thu 29 Jun 16:11post reply

If you like RPGs, Popolocrois. Popolocrois. Popolocrois.

Monster Hunter isn't too bad, either...though MH2 makes it look like junk.

Samson
79th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(1):PSP suggestions?" , posted Thu 29 Jun 17:24post reply

I can't say the PSP has lots of games I like :

Wipeout
MGA 1&2
Lumines
Monter Hunter
GTA

That's about it.

Grave
940th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):PSP suggestions?" , posted Thu 29 Jun 18:42post reply

If you like Mega Man even a tiny bit, MM Powered Up is going to thrill you. Maverick Hunter X is a little less overwhelmingly awesome, but if you liked the original MMX, you'll probably go nuts over it like I did. Definitely a good time, playing as Vile is sickeningly cool.

I have to recommend Exit really highly. It's kind of like the Lost Vikings meets Prince of Persia meets Lemmings. I know, that doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you play it, you'll see. Great game, great puzzles and the visual style is really cool. Screenshots don't really do it justice.

Wipeout Pure is probably the best Wipeout since XL. It's really, really good. Lumines lives up to the hype too. It's an insanely fun puzzle game, and when we used to hang out in our common room doing homework and whatever at school, friends would always badger me to go get the PSP so one of them could play it. It's that addictive. I like it a lot better than Meteos, for what it's worth.

If you can deal with the hideous load times, Ys VI is a great time. It works really well on a portable, but again, those load times could bring you to snap your PSP in half if you're not patient. I've played it on PS2 and PSP, and... well, I had a much easier time on PS2, that's for sure. Still, can't go wrong with the actual gameplay.

Generation of Chaos is fun if you can get into it... but getting into it is the hard part. The learning curve is absurd, the game's menus are made up of cryptic abbreviations and options that seem to be entirely nonsensical. Without the DoubleJump PDF guide, the game would be absolutely unplayable, and some argue that it still is. I was having a blast once I learned what everything did, and then schoolwork got heavier again, and I didn't have time. I could only recommend it if you have massive amounts of free time you wish to put to death.

If you like Guilty Gear, get PSP #R immediately. You have no idea how amazing it feels to play a perfect port of #R on the shitter. YOU HAVE NO IDEA. I fell in love. Only cost me $20 on eBay. It looks insanely good on the PSP screen, and the control is surprisingly good. As in, you won't have any problems with it.

Um... I guess that's every PSP title I have, with the exception of MG Ac!d (not really recommended, it got to be tedious and boring in a hurry) and Sakura Taisen 1&2, which I haven't tried yet.

Samson
80th Post

Occasional Customer

"Re(2):PSP suggestions?" , posted Thu 29 Jun 23:25post reply

quote:
If you like Mega Man even a tiny bit, MM Powered Up is going to thrill you. Maverick Hunter X is a little less overwhelmingly awesome, but if you liked the original MMX, you'll probably go nuts over it like I did. Definitely a good time, playing as Vile is sickeningly cool.

I have to recommend Exit really highly. It's kind of like the Lost Vikings meets Prince of Persia meets Lemmings. I know, that doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you play it, you'll see. Great game, great puzzles and the visual style is really cool. Screenshots don't really do it justice.

Wipeout Pure is probably the best Wipeout since XL. It's really, really good. Lumines lives up to the hype too. It's an insanely fun puzzle game, and when we used to hang out in our common room doing homework and whatever at school, friends would always badger me to go get the PSP so one of them could play it. It's that addictive. I like it a lot better than Meteos, for what it's worth.

If you can deal with the hideous load times, Ys VI is a great time. It works really well on a portable, but again, those load times could bring you to snap your PSP in half if you're not patient. I've played it on PS2 and PSP, and... well, I had a much easier time on PS2, that's for sure. Still, can't go wrong with the actual gameplay.

Generation of Chaos is fun if you can get into it... but getting into it is the hard part. The learning curve is absurd, the game's menus are made up of cryptic abbreviations and options that seem to be entirely nonsensical. Without the DoubleJump PDF guide, the game would be absolutely unplayable, and some argue that it still is. I was having a blast once I learned what everything did, and then schoolwork got heavier again, and I didn't have time. I could only recommend it if you have massive amounts of free time you wish to put to death.

If you like Guilty Gear, get PSP #R immediately. You have no idea how amazing it feels to play a perfect port of #R on the shitter. YOU HAVE NO IDEA. I fell in love. Only cost me $20 on eBay. It looks insanely good on the PSP screen, and the control is surprisingly good. As in, you won't have any problems with it.

Um... I guess that's every PSP title I have, with the exception of MG Ac!d (not really recommended, it got to be tedious and boring in a hurry) and Sakura Taisen 1&2, which I haven't tried yet.

It seems like Exit is my kind of game...gotta see if it's cheap here in France.

I totally forgot to mention Guilty Gear ealier...it's truly a perfect port, plays flawlessly, looks and sounds great too. Mission mode adds lots of replay value, and forces you to know every character's basics.

I beg to differ, but the MGA series is a blast, addictive as hell (hell is addictive?)

I enjoyed Lumines, but I didn't really got the role of the music in it...and all the hype kind of let me down.

Voilą.

exodus
3435th Post

"Re(2):PSP suggestions?" , posted Fri 30 Jun 04:49post reply

quote:
If you like RPGs, Popolocrois. Popolocrois. Popolocrois.

sucks sucks sucks!

man. that game struck me as so poorly constructed, I'm surprised you even suggested it. the tiles/graphics work poorly on the console (they've just been stretched), the music is inane, and the combat is rather poor. I played 6 hours in when I had nothing else to do, and it constantly frustrated me with its poor construction and snail's pace gameplay.

there are always two sides though, so let's see what polly says.

other games: DJ Max is a very hard but rather nice bemani clone. Astonishia Story is a rather shit RPG that I happen to like anyway (polly, I wonder if this is your argument for popolocrois?), samurai warriors is like a dumbed down dynasty warriors, so it's alright if you like that sort of thing. I've found most of the games on PSP suck rather completely - I have 13 games, but only because I got them for free. I've had about 18 total, but traded in several of the ones that were worth anything.

Loco Roco will be nice when it comes out...some people like Exit, but I'm not included there. The Capcom Collection seems nice, though I don't own it.

uhhhhhhhhhh that's it for me.

Evenor
439th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(3):PSP suggestions?" , posted Fri 30 Jun 05:10post reply

Lumines and Puyo Puyo Fever 2.

シュガーフォークフル

Pollyanna
1869th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(3):PSP suggestions?" , posted Fri 30 Jun 06:56post reply

quote:

sucks sucks sucks!

man. that game struck me as so poorly constructed, I'm surprised you even suggested it. the tiles/graphics work poorly on the console (they've just been stretched), the music is inane, and the combat is rather poor. I played 6 hours in when I had nothing else to do, and it constantly frustrated me with its poor construction and snail's pace gameplay.

there are always two sides though, so let's see what polly says.

Well, as for the stretching thing, I played both games that constitute the PSP version on PS, so I wouldn't know about that. I heard the translation is a little poor, though.

I don't know what constitutes "inane" music. The soundtrack is one of my favorite RPG soundtracks ever. Or rather...I guess Popolocrois 3 is one of my favorites, though it uses many of the same songs with better arrangements. Even if you don't like it, I'd say the soundtrack is at least above average.

The battle system, to me, is a good spin on a classic system and is interesting enough to keep things relatively fresh while maintaining an "old school" feel. I don't know what you look for in a battle system. I wouldn't consider it "poor"...certainly not more poor than any Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy (excluding 12, I guess). It's not dramatic or revolutionary or exciting or anything, though...so depending on what your standards are, I could see it as boring. It's just not inferior to most RPG battle systems.

But, obviously, it's not for everyone. Where I say "brilliant pixel art" someone else might say "ugly, dated graphics." I really like the look of the game, because it uses pixels and tiles to construct a picture, rather than just making them feel like pixels and tiles. I like the artwork, character designs and cut scenes because they have so much personality. It might be a personality that some people don't like, though.

The story is also an aquired taste. It's unique, but a little childish and sugary. I'm quite into fairytales, so it appeals to me tremendously. I think the characters and writing are charming (for the most part).

There is a big issue here though that speaks well for the game and thwarts it at the same time. The second game in the series (which you can't start with, you just have to make it to) is much better than the first. It has tons of voice acting (though that might be a bad thing in the english version) numerous, beautiful cutscenes, more characters (that are more interesting) and a more dynamic plot.

While I was charmed by the first game, it was a chore to finish by the end. The second game, was nothing but joy all the way through. However, if you aren't instantly charmed by the first game, then you'll have to suffer to make it to the second. Actually, if you're not charmed in the first place, there's no much point in playing it at all. To me, it has a funny charm comparable to something like Mother.

I reccommend the game, because I love it, it got good reviews over here and is tremendously popular in Japan. Even if it isn't deserving of widespread appeal, I still think it's underrated. Fans of old-school RPGs should at least look at pictures/videos and see if it conceptually excites them before looking into it.

Of course, you might have done that, then been disappointed...though I'm not sure what you would have been looking for. I think the game at least delivers what it looks like it does.

Undead Fred
2704th Post

"Re(1):PSP suggestions?" , posted Fri 30 Jun 13:12post reply

quote:
Suggestions.

Okay, cool. So, pretty much all of these are available in English, right? I recognized a lot of them, but I wasn't sure I don't really do imports since I like to be able to follow stories and so forth. Also, I had heard Tokobot or whatever it was called was good too... has anyone here played that?

gorgeous
130th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):PSP suggestions?" , posted Fri 30 Jun 13:21post reply

Don't get Exit. If it really seems like your thing, just wait for Exit 2. It's coming in September. It has a much, much, much larger variety of stages in it and it plays a LOT smoother.

If you've ever had the tiniest interest in Harvest Moon, the new Innocent Life, which is made by the people who handled the Dragon Quest V remake on PS2, is probably the best game on the PSP right now. It's . . . very well envisioned. It's like Harvest Moon in a fantasy world, basically. It's got some weird little story, too. It's really hip.

If you want RPGs, get Jewel Summoner!! The music is just fabulous! I can't stress this enough. It's got Yasunori Mitsuda, Hitoshi Sakimoto, and, well, anybody else worth having. And it's just wonderful quality.

The game is a BIT boring, though.

kuran
19th Post

New Customer

"Re(2):PSP suggestions?" , posted Sun 2 Jul 09:55post reply

Pursuit Force...

If you ever loved Chase HQ as a kid... this is that, but lots more and better... sleeper-hit and I don't care if the art is bad, it looks awesome for a PSP game!

Juan
4264th Post

"Re(2):PSP suggestions?" , posted Sun 2 Jul 11:48:post reply

Valkyrie Profile later this month, in case you didnt play the original.

quote:
Suggestions.
Okay, cool.

[this message was edited by Juan on Sun 2 Jul 11:53]