To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wright? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2103 Views )

OmegaDog
1599th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Red Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Member

"To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wright?" , posted Wed 14 Jun 03:33post reply

I'll be ordering a version of GS from NCSX pretty soon, now that they have the game back in stock. But I'm trying to decide which one to order. There's the North American version of the game -- but the Japanese version also has the option to switch to the English language.

----

Is there any difference between the English presentation in the North American and Japanese versions of the games? [Does the JP version also have English voices -- and if so, are there any English voices missing at certain points (i.e. where you would normally hear voices in the JP version when set to Japanese, or, if you by chance know, where you would normally hear English voices in the North American version)?]

And, how're the instruction booklets of each? Is the North American booklet in black & white? Is the Japanese booklet in color? And is it at all important to have an instruction booklet I can understand (disregarding the availability of FAQs)?

----

And, apparently, the price of the North American version has been raised by $4 -- so the JP version actually ends up being cheaper. Still, just want to have a few questions answered before I order (assuming there's still stock left by the time I do so).

"So... IT'S FLITZ TIME EVERYBODY!" || CCT: NEXT STAGE IS 21

Replies:

IkariDC
521th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(1):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Wed 14 Jun 05:51post reply

I've got the american release, cos I was slow and didn't preorder the limited japanese edition.

The manual is in full color, but you don't need it to play the game. It is useful to know that you can inquery about every statement that every witness says during the cross-examination, and some other game mechanics, but the one I mentioned is the one you might not know about when you start playing for the first time.

Hopefully someone can tell you about the japanese release. But the most important thing: Get the game as soon as posible! It's wonderful, it had me glued to my DS like no other game could!

Pollyanna
1843th Post

Silver Carpet V.I.P- Platinum Executive

"Re(2):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Wed 14 Jun 07:04post reply

The Japanese one has a cooler cover. Otherwise, it doesn't really matter.

No, wait...I mean "the Japanese one is cooler cause it's Japanese! Import snobbery forever!"

exodus
3423th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(3):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Wed 14 Jun 08:47post reply

quote:

No, wait...I mean "the Japanese one is cooler cause it's Japanese! Import snobbery forever!"

well done!

the only annoying thing about the US version is the poor copyediting/spellchecking in chapter five. otherwise, just get it in a language you know well.

IkariDC
522th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(3):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Wed 14 Jun 16:12post reply

quote:

Yeah, but at least tell him what he wants to now about the japanese version!

Grave
939th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member++

"Re(1):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Wed 14 Jun 17:48post reply

I would hurry on this one, no matter which way you decide to go. I can't imagine their stock lasting long. They had been taking orders for this shipment for a while now, I put mine in a few weeks ago, anyway. They shipped it yesterday, got it today. The US version, for what it's worth.

Pollyanna
1844th Post

"Re(2):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Wed 14 Jun 18:19post reply

Oh...the voices...ah...well, if I recall, the English ones are in it when you set the game to English. I would put money on it, but not a whole lot. I mean, there are only Like...6 things the characters say, anyway and I doubt you'd find one or the other dramatically superior. There's definitely nothing missing between the two, though.

Technically the Japanese one is better because it has two languages, and I think there's an increased novelty of having it, but you won't be making a mistake with either version. You won't be needing the instruction booklet for anything but artwork (which both have) either.

Mokona
366th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Thu 15 Jun 00:25post reply

I got the Euro version in France... it has English and French texts and voices (you choose at the beginning of your game). I played both
I presume it's the same with the Japanese version.
The English translation is not so bad, except for the aforementioned problems with case 5. The French one is so-so, several grammar and vocabulary mistakes, nothing that makes the game unplayable, but made me irk a bit. (Not that you would care, since it's the French version anyway).

Blah!

OmegaDog
1600th Post

"Re(1):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Fri 16 Jun 05:43post reply

All right, so I just went ahead with the North American version. The price of the Gyakuten Saiban Best reprint was also raised to US$39 while I was trying to decide -- so there was no real price advantage. After that, I just made my decision on superficial things -- I prefer the US cover (compared to the slightly-differing Best reprint); the NA manual is in full color in a language that I can understand (even if it really won't be needed) with all artwork included; and I really have no need for the Japanese voices and text after all.

I also went ahead and put Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan on the order. I'll also be getting Elite Beat Agents when that comes out.

(And now that I finally have a DS, in the form of a Lite -- time to play some of the other software I've been getting!)

Pollyanna
1848th Post

"Re(2):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Fri 16 Jun 06:02post reply

If you're getting Ouendan, then you'll need a screen cover as well. The screen doesn't really scratch THAT easily, but I don't think you'll have fun if you're worried about damaging your system.

OmegaDog
1601th Post

"Re(3):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Fri 16 Jun 23:26post reply

quote:
If you're getting Ouendan, then you'll need a screen cover as well. The screen doesn't really scratch THAT easily, but I don't think you'll have fun if you're worried about damaging your system.

I at least got some Mad Catz covers. Can't believe I forgot to add Hori ones to my order, though.

Shooo-rook
214th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(4):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Sun 18 Jun 13:55post reply

quote:

I at least got some Mad Catz covers. Can't believe I forgot to add Hori ones to my order, though.

Are hori covers worth it? They are being recommended by several different sources, and i loathe almost all generic companies (especially Mad Catz)
((Speaking of madcatz what was that cartoon with the fat cat and the skinny cat that flew in a jet plane?(I liked that cartoon a lot))

Are you slave to the blade?

VManOfMana
650th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(5):To order NA or JP ver. of GS/Phoenix Wr" , posted Mon 19 Jun 08:05post reply

quote:
Are hori covers worth it?

They are very worth it. If you apply the cover correctly you won't even notice its there.

Jabel D. Morales - VMan of Mana.
http://vman.animecafe.net/

"Tameraeba makeyo!"

OmegaDog
1604th Post

"... and we've been asking more questions." , posted Tue 20 Jun 01:22:post reply

quote:

They are very worth it. If you apply the cover correctly you won't even notice its there.

And how easily do the Hori ones show scratches? These Mad Catz ones, against light, really show 'em when the system is turned off -- and they're somewhat visible against light when turned on.

[That, and they don't cover all edges of the screen. Thankfully, it's nothing where my stylus will really touch -- and thankfully, these screen covers can (and eventually will be) removed.]

EDIT: And soon after, I decided to go with Google -- and it pointed me to this 4colorrebellion review.

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Tue 20 Jun 01:27]

OmegaDog
1605th Post

"NCSX sold out of the 3rd NA print in a week!" , posted Tue 20 Jun 14:18:post reply

... man, am I glad I put in my order. I just received it today, too, along with Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan.

Their previous stock (2nd print / 1st reprint) lasted a month. This stock of the same quantity (3rd print / 2nd reprint) lasted all of a week. (For those still looking for it in some form, though, the JP version, which they also received last week, is still available.)

It seems like some folks at Capcom haphazardly placed the Phoenix Wright manual inside the case though -- the book and such slipped to the right, and as such, the last few pages are a bit crumpled and even creased.

Ah well. Not too important. At least I finally have the game.

[this message was edited by OmegaDog on Tue 20 Jun 14:28]

Shooo-rook
215th Post

Frequent Customer

"Re(1):... and we've been asking more question" , posted Thu 22 Jun 14:44post reply

quote:

And how easily do the Hori ones show scratches? These Mad Catz ones, against light, really show 'em when the system is turned off -- and they're somewhat visible against light when turned on.

[That, and they don't cover all edges of the screen. Thankfully, it's nothing where my stylus will really touch -- and thankfully, these screen covers can (and eventually will be) removed.]

EDIT: And soon after, I decided to go with Google -- and it pointed me to this 4colorrebellion review.

That review was amazing, thanks!

I purchased Gyakuten Saiban with some hori screen protectors (import) today...

Are you slave to the blade?