Which are your fav STRANGE retro games? - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (2890 Views )

Arngrim
150th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Regular Customer

"Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 00:23post reply

Ooohh, taking a coffee and posting on the Café while skiving off work. You know, those little pleasures in life.

You know, mentioning several of my old classics on Red Falcon's platform's thread has reminded me of how really weird, interesting and imaginative some games that caught my eye were.

So, which are those strange, outcast games you were fascinated by back on the 8/16 bit era?

Definetely on of the ones I love is Laser Ghost, an horror-themed shooter for Master System in which you must protect a girl from being attacked by the ghosts on a haunted mansion.

Also the fantastic "Final Fantasy meets Resident Evil" NES game Sweet Home.

I've always supported originality and a touch of weirdness in games (in a good way).

I'm glad that there still people who create games from another point of view that isn't sales. They may not be the greatest games, but I'm glad some of them have gotten a decent media impact (yay! Katamari!)

I cannot quench your thirst
Because even if you yearn for the truth you refuse to believe in it.
But I still want to quench your thirst.
Because I am the one the that put you into the desert.

Replies:

kofoguz
388th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(1):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 00:44post reply

Solomon s Key. I really like that game and its music is mystically good.

Also that penguin game I mentioned before was strange and good. You were controlling both of them, and trying to meet each other. Something like *Lunary ...* come to my mind.

Evenor
433th Post

Gold Customer

"Re(2):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 00:49post reply

I dont know if this game is considered to be in the 8-16 bit era but the puzzle game Zoop was one of the weirdest games I ever rented ( and enjoyed ) in my childhood.

シュガーフォークフル

HAYATO
616th Post

Red Carpet Regular Member

"Re(3):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 01:13post reply

I loved Genesis' "Marble Madness" and "The Immortal". But the strangest games I've ever played were "Fatal Rewind" and "Art Alive" (I hate both of them)

Red Falcon
5692th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 01:22post reply

Snake, Rattle N' Roll. Toilet seats try to eat you in it. To a lesser degree, Tempest... uh... Magidrop 3 and Puyo Puyo Sun are still some of my favorite puzzlers, but I don't know how retro they are. Did anyone else think Paperboy or Burger Time were fun?

Best site EVER:Link Here

Maese Spt
259th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(2):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 02:21:post reply

Konami's Penguin Adventure was pretty strange and terribly fun. A racing game where you controlled a penguin and had to evade rising seals from out of nowhere? Truly bizarre, but pure gold. I re-discovered it some years ago and I was delighted, but I hated it when I was a kid.

I regard Ice Climber as an awkward game as well, I haven't seen many games like it, but it was really enjoyable. Ikki, featuring Sengoku peasant uprisings on 8 bits, was a nice one too.

But the strangest game I've ever played was Snoopy Concert, on SNES. If seeing Charlie Brown & Co. speaking in perfect japanese is not bizarre enough for you, just try to guide Snoopy like a friggin lemming using Woodstock, in order to spoil Linus' date... A quite unique game concept, but enjoyable nonetheless.

MATSUKEN SAMBA!!!

[this message was edited by Maese Spt on Tue 13 Jun 02:40]

Iggy
7753th Post

"Re(2):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 02:24post reply

quote:
Did anyone else think Paperboy or Burger Time were fun?

No.
And I hate you for saying Snake Rattle'n Roll before I could.

Then, I'll go with Solstice : a long 3D isometric labyrinth without saves or passwords, that, and that may be why I loved it so much, everyobody around me hated at the time.

Shapermc
118th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(1):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 02:39post reply

I know this doesn't really count, but I use to find Karnov exceptionally disturbing as a child. Very odd, horribly drab in color, and very bizaar music (the arcade version anyways).

And really... looking back, it's not that bad.

Ishmael
2518th Post

"Re(3):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 02:46post reply

quote:
Did anyone else think Paperboy or Burger Time were fun?

No.

I dunno, I thought Burger Time was at least doing something fun with the idea of beating opponents by stomping food onto them. Then again, I haven't played it in some time. Playing Paperboy, however, let me know how a dog feels when it gets punished by getting hit in the nose with a rolled up newspaper.

Just to toss out a game name I'll say Ninja Clowns. I thought the game was terrible but I'm still fascinated that somebody thought the game was a good idea.

jiji
180th Post

Regular Customer

"Re(4):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 03:57post reply

Pretty much anything by UPL: Return of the Invaders, Gomola Speed, Atomic Robo Kid. They always had really strange, alien art design and interesting mechanics.

Also, Sentinel/Sentinel Returns is pretty bizarre and cool.

exodus
3417th Post

"Re(5):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 05:59post reply

I loved atomic robo kid and burgertime!

for my own choices, I really liked Bravoman on the PCE, with talking telephone boxes and strange floaty jumping.

then there was the Hani series - hani in the sky, hani on the land...which starred a penis-shaped mushroom thing. the games were just terrible, but I played them anyway! maybe they were based on a license or something.

Red Falcon
5694th Post

"Re(6):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 07:44post reply

quote:
I loved atomic robo kid and burgertime!

then there was the Hani series - hani in the sky, hani on the land...which starred a penis-shaped mushroom thing. the games were just terrible, but I played them anyway! maybe they were based on a license or something.

Well, they're Haniwa... which are those strange penis-shaped statues from the Jomon period. Anyway, I didn't touch on PC Engine stuff yet; Dragon Half is a fun game with a group of four people!

Best site EVER:Link Here

Variable Savior
370th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(7):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 07:55post reply

When I was a kid some weirdo who was trying to date my sister bought me a copy of Milon's Secret Castle for the NES (who kisses up to a girl by buying gifts for her siblings??). I remember thinking it was a horrible gift and wanting to exchange it for Rampage (I was a kid, okay?). But I stuck with Milon and it was actually pretty damn good. Who knew?

Blood marks heaven's path

Abster
271th Post

Copper Customer

"Re(7):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 07:57post reply

Never played the original Paperboy, but I have played the sequel a number of times. The game had some pretty humorous moments when I first played it.

I also liked Q*bert among some of the more strange games. The gameplay was fun and addictive, and it's challenging as hell too.

For those who want blood in SS Tenka use this template.

exodus
3420th Post

"Re(8):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Tue 13 Jun 10:28:post reply

quote:
who kisses up to a girl by buying gifts for her siblings??

You do it when you want to be in it for the long haul, it shows commitment to her family. Or at least when you want to pretend you're doing that. Even if she doesn't care about her family, she'll realize that you're a good guy.

so did he get in her pants or what?

[edit]
oh, haniwa! well that makes even more sense! I mean, sort of. the name, at least.

[this message was edited by exodus on Tue 13 Jun 10:29]

crazymike
1238th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Wed 14 Jun 00:05post reply

quote:
Solomon s Key. I really like that game and its music is mystically good.

My dad still swears to this day he saw a hidden swastika in Solomon's Key in the late 80s. If true, would be kind of morbid considering the theme of the game.

HAYATO
621th Post

"Re(3):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Wed 14 Jun 00:26post reply

Another weird game I played in Genesis/Mega Drive long ago is "Barney the Dinosaur's Hide'n Seek Game". Did anyone else ever play it? It was kind of disturbing : Barney the Dino must search for a group of little kids and hugs them behind the bushes whenever it finds them!!! I will never forget this game. In fact, I couldn't supress a shudder while writing this lines...

Toxico
4232th Post

"Re(3):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Fri 16 Jun 00:21post reply

[ I can help to bring the friendly themed nes game maniac mansion I played it A Lot and there it was always a strange thing to do; the interaction layout was decently concieved; in a more serious note the game uninvited must be brought to topic; it was the closest thing that a NES game got to alone in the dark, it was freaky and the danger to die really was everywhere, I still remember the 'classy dressed lady' that was a skeleton that was after the meat under my cap.

See??? He is a God...

kofoguz
397th Post

Silver Customer

"Re(3):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Fri 16 Jun 04:38post reply

quote:
My dad still swears to this day he saw a hidden swastika in Solomon's Key in the late 80s. If true, would be kind of morbid considering the theme of the game.

Well my memories could trick me but I remember I liked the music (I was too young).
And the game that I couldnt remember is Binary Land it was sweet.
Well maybe I should play those again even though I like the games I wasnt good at both.

EddyT
546th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(5):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Fri 16 Jun 14:48:post reply

quote:
Pretty much anything by UPL: Return of the Invaders, Gomola Speed, Atomic Robo Kid. They always had really strange, alien art design and interesting mechanics.

My all-time favorite was in fact made by UPL, and the game was called Rad Action (aka Ninja Taro). Game had the first triangle jump I ever saw in a game (before Ninja Gaiden NES had it), great music, cool graphics and the game was pretty much near impossible to beat, even with unlimited credits.

If you want any reference on the game, all you have to do is look at my avatar.

[this message was edited by EddyT on Fri 16 Jun 14:48]

JJWE
557th Post

New Red Carpet Member

"Re(6):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Fri 16 Jun 20:24:post reply

Psychic 5, without a doubt.

(the NES version, which really wasn't the same game at all, was horrible and beyond bad)

--- http://ngmc.retrogames.com

[this message was edited by JJWE on Fri 16 Jun 20:25]

HAYATO
623th Post

"Re(7):Which are your fav STRANGE retro games?" , posted Sat 17 Jun 08:53post reply

quote:
Psychic 5, without a doubt.

(the NES version, which really wasn't the same game at all, was horrible and beyond bad)

If you think that's hideous, just take a peek at that craptastic Data Eats's creation known as "Never forget me: Trio the Punch". Wow. Just WOW.