Tips for Tokyo - http://www.mmcafe.com/ Forums

Original message (1944 Views )

nobinobita
40th Post

user profileedit/delete message

Rare Customer

"Tips for Tokyo" , posted Fri 9 Jun 08:59post reply

Hey Guys (and gals?),

I know I haven't posted very much here, but I thought I'd ask for your advice (especially the Professor).

I'm going to be visiting Japan in about 2 months. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to stay at in Tokyo for about 3 days or so. Anything that is nice and affordable, maybe even a little traditional. Any recomendations will help.

Also, if you could suggest specific places to visit for games, toys, manga, art books, and other cool nerdy stuff that would help too. This will be my second trip to Japan, and the last time i went, the whole country was like a wonderland to me (especially Akihabara).

Replies:

exodus
3409th Post

Platinum Carpet V.I.P- Board Master

"Re(1):Tips for Tokyo" , posted Fri 9 Jun 09:45post reply

quote:

I'm going to be visiting Japan in about 2 months. I was just wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to stay at in Tokyo for about 3 days or so. Anything that is nice and affordable, maybe even a little traditional. Any recomendations will help.

You could go to the New Koyo. It's cheap and grungy, and will be an interesting experience. The downside is that there are lots of grimey europeans there.

I have an old guide to buying games in japan, but it's from 2003. It might still have some points to it though.

dragon-warrior
1259th Post

Red Carpet Executive Member

"Re(2):Tips for Tokyo" , posted Fri 9 Jun 12:55post reply

in 2 months ? I am going there next week!
recommendations?
best arcades? resturants? shops?
:2ch_kabe:

nobinobita
41th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Tips for Tokyo" , posted Fri 9 Jun 13:09post reply

quote:

You could go to the New Koyo. It's cheap and grungy, and will be an interesting experience.

Thanks a ton!

This is exactly the kinda place I'm looking for!

With the cash i'll be saving i'll be coming home with alot more Gashapons!

Also, the InsertCredit guide is great. It was a great boon to me the last time i went and i'm sure it's still relevant.

Professor
2361th Post

MMCafe Owner

"Re(1):Tips for Tokyo" , posted Fri 9 Jun 16:00:post reply

Most people I know tend to stay at Kimi Ryokan in Ikebukuro. It's at a good location close to the JR trains, and it's pretty affordable.

New Koyo is even more cheap, though its location isn't as convenient (you can't complain when it's nearly half price!). It should be a good pick unless you're doing some massive shopping.

[Edit] And then I realize that in 2 months, it's the Comiket and Wonderfest. It's going to be packed, so better start making your reservations early!

[this message was edited by Professor on Fri 9 Jun 16:06]

nobinobita
42th Post

Rare Customer

"Re(2):Tips for Tokyo" , posted Tue 13 Jun 05:26post reply

quote:
And then I realize that in 2 months, it's the Comiket and Wonderfest. It's going to be packed, so better start making your reservations early!

Heya Professor,

Thanks for the advice! I've gotten a few other warnings about how cramped hostels can get, so I may try to book at that hotel (i do plan on getting lots of loot).

Also, thanks for maintaining my favorite board on the web.